As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Put on your best red dress, it's Oscar time! (8:30pm ET / 5:30 PT)

1192021222325»

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Disappointed that 12 Years a Slave won - it's a good movie, but in my opinion it definitely wasn't the best one of 2013. Pretty clear it only won because of the subject matter.

I'm also bummed out that Wolf of Wall Street got nothing and that Rush and Pacific Rim weren't even nominated for anything.

Also, Ellen was alright but it was all sort of safe and boring. I much preferred MacFarlane.

it won cos it was excellent, that was clear enough to me

• Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So I got an incredibly specific and nerdy bone to pick with the academy. I don't know if any of you noticed but when the presenters for Best Score came out the orchestra was playing Romantic Flight from How to Train Your Dragon which is bullshit because it was one of the best Scores for a movie in a long time and it lost to Social Network but blah, blah Oscar politics and being a better fit for the film it was in and etc, etc, etc.

But what the hell why not just play something from the Best Score of last year or something and not throw it back in my face four years later especially with Her getting robbed in the same way. Anyway I'm probably the only person who noticed.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    haven't seen her yet, but the score to gravity was brilliant.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Rush should've had a bunch of nominees

especially for best supporting actor. leto would've won, but still

also let us consider for a moment that Matthew Mchaoguhenheyheyalrightalrightalright won an oscar for best actor before both brad pitt and leonardo dicaprio

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so I'm hearing that the reason John Travolta couldn't say Idina Menzel's name is because he's actually dyslexic and wasn't prepared to read her name off the teleprompter

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Disappointed that 12 Years a Slave won - it's a good movie, but in my opinion it definitely wasn't the best one of 2013. Pretty clear it only won because of the subject matter.

I'm also bummed out that Wolf of Wall Street got nothing and that Rush and Pacific Rim weren't even nominated for anything.

Also, Ellen was alright but it was all sort of safe and boring. I much preferred MacFarlane.
    At least, if you're going to do this, present your supposed movie that should have win if not for 12 Years "subject matter".

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    All in all a decent show, nothing more, nothing less.

thin

fucking

ice

buddy

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but thanks to @Goose! for tracking the scores on Sunday and also to @YaYa along with Goose! for kick-starting the prize pool for this year's Oscars.

Personally, had a good time playing and watching the show. My sub .500 score is rightly justified since I only was able to get to a handful of nominated movies and shorts this year and most of my picks were guesses based on speculation with a couple of surprise picks mixed in in case I got lucky.

I will confess that I did see Blue Jasmine when the movie was at my theater but I did not fully invest my attention into the film at that time and apparently missed out on a great acting performance by Cate Blanchett. Guess I will need to re-watch that along with catching up on the other nominated films when I get the chance to.

I also noticed the number of new commercials released dedicated to Hollywood/film making/movies in general this year. I wonder if that will be a continuing trend in the coming years and maybe be a whole sub-category of new commercial released during the Oscars similar to the Super Bowl.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    @Sweeney Tom @Marathon @Raijin Quickfoot‌ can ya'll interface with @VoproSTEIN‌ about getting some sweet prizes

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    My prize gifting technically depended upon Leo winning, which didn't happen.

the site logged me out twice trying to send this message. sigh

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    so I'm hearing that the reason John Travolta couldn't say Idina Menzel's name is because he's actually dyslexic and wasn't prepared to read her name off the teleprompter

Anyone else notice several problems with the teleprompter? Seemed like quite a few of the presenters had trouble reading it.

• Options

aww

you're right

oh well

sorry Vopro

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It's always amusing for me to try and Oscar pick because at the time I sent in my specualtion, I believe only 2 Best Picture nominated movies had even been released here.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I think one of the few I didn't see was Gravity. So of course it won everything.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    fucking perfect

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    This year had surprisingly few "the oscars don't matter you guys are so dumb for caring" posts

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Reading this thread without having watched the Oscars is like suffering from some fevered delirium.

Also I don't think I've seen any film that was nominated for anything which, man, I should try and watch more current movies.

Why did I even click on this thread.

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

aww

you're right

oh well

sorry Vopro

He'll win something next year!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    guys idina menzel is doing let it go with the roots on jimmy fallon right now with a bunch of classroom instruments and she should have just done this at the oscars

• Options
    guys idina menzel is doing let it go with the roots on jimmy fallon right now with a bunch of classroom instruments and she should have just done this at the oscars

who?

• Options
    look I don't know when that's going up on youtube but it was great enough to make me not want to do the adele dazeem joke

• Options
    God damn it hurry up and show up online, video.

• Options
    it's not the first time the roots and jimmy fallon have done a song with people while playing like, the xylophone, and it's always SUPER charming

• Options
    look I don't know when that's going up on youtube but it was great enough to make me not want to do the adele dazeem joke

aww

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I loved the Oscars performance and I loved that performance

It's weird how it's Demi Lovato's song and yet I've loved every non-Lovato performance of it, from all Menzel performances to the kid's choir to the many covers

ed: why did i think that Lovato did the original, ugh. Sorry.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    It's...it's absolutely not Demi Lovato's song? She sang a cover of it for the soundtrack to the movie, and they released it because it's more of a pop version than the one from the movie, and historically, Disney's put out pop music friendly versions of their songs for radio play. This is basically the first time the movie version (the original version) has ever kind of forced itself onto the pop charts

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Short Term 12 is faaaaaaaannnntastic

Finally got around to watching this tonight and holy shit you are right. Just a wonderful movie.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    It's...it's absolutely not Demi Lovato's song? She sang a cover of it for the soundtrack to the movie, and they released it because it's more of a pop version than the one from the movie, and historically, Disney's put out pop music friendly versions of their songs for radio play. This is basically the first time the movie version (the original version) has ever kind of forced itself onto the pop charts

Yuuup. Got the soundtrack and skip the Lovato edition every time I listen to it. Just doesn't sound right =p.

• Options
    I loved the Oscars performance and I loved that performance

It's weird how it's Demi Lovato's song and yet I've loved every non-Lovato performance of it, from all Menzel performances to the kid's choir to the many covers

ed: why did i think that Lovato did the original, ugh. Sorry.

ugh, Tom

just

Ugh

You sit in the corner and think about what you've done

• Options
    the demi lovato version might be legitimately awful

• Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Rush should've had a bunch of nominees

especially for best supporting actor. leto would've won, but still

I wouldn't call Brühl playing Lauda a supporting actor. He and Hemsworth both felt like the main character.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »

it won cos it was excellent, that was clear enough to me

Ellen said it herself at the beginning: "There are two scenarios - either 12 Years a Slave wins or you're all racists."

She was joking, of course, but that doesn't mean she was entirely wrong. It wouldn't exactly have been the first time the Academy tried to express through their votes that they're totally not just stuffy old conversative white guys.

Again, it was a good movie (I enjoyed it more than American Hustle, for example) but I felt that most of the other nominees were better.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    rs_560x415-140304094311-1024.MM-Shirts-2-jmd-030314.jpg

I'll take ten!

• Options
    having now see her, I'm comfortable with gravity winning best score