As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reality is merely an [REDACTED], albeit a very [Spooky] one

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    cr0w wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of any haunted house movies that compare with Poltergeist, and I'm struggling to think of any that I hold in higher regard.

The Others is probably the closest, with the original The Haunting right behind it. Insidious did a lot of things very, very right...that lingering shot of the brother in a coma seen from his brother's doorway STILL creeps me out, even though absolutely nothing happens. I think the anticipation of something happening was worse than anything they could have done. Once they go into the other realm, though, it flew off the rails. Everything up until Patrick Wilson went to save the kid was brilliant.

The Conjuring was okay, better than most anything we've gotten recently. The Woman in Black was great, old school Hammer horror and...damn, I think that's about it. I enjoyed The Innkeepers well enough.

I need to watch The Others again. So much atmosphere in that movie, and it shares a lot of similarities with The Turn of the Screw, which was a story that fucked me up as a kid.

The Others was a joke for me and the Conjuring had some amazingly good bits but the end just screwed the pooch; PLUS it was about two mega frauds that I absolutely hate.

My go to haunted house shows besides Poltergeist would be Ghostwatch (amazing), Insidious (at least the first 3/4) , The Grudge, Amityville 2 (SUPER AWFUL BAD but something makes me keep watching this dang film) Boogeyman, and The Entity

Oooh The Entity, I forgot about that one. Good old Barry Taff.

I liked The Conjuring in spite of it being about The Warrens. Even though they're complete frauds, their careers are fascinating to me. I have the original hardback version of "In A Dark Place", the first book released about the Snedeker Haunting (The Haunting in Connecticut) that was almost immediately discontinued because the author, Ray Garton, only completed it due to contractual obligations and disowned the book publicly every chance he got. Ed Warren flat out told him to make shit up and that all of his clients were crazy, they were only interested in selling a good ghost story. It's hilarious to read that book and then look at the changes made to the story once it became more well-known. I find it endlessly amusing that their nephew, John Zaffis, managed to finagle an entire TV show out of pilfering "haunted" objects, some very expensive, from gullible people who thought their houses were haunted.

One of my favorite books of theirs was "Werewolf", about an English guy named Bill Ramsey who claimed to be possessed by a "wolf" spirit, and he would wolf out and go ballistic on full moons and such.

oh HELL yes. their true haunting books are straight up terrifying. In A Dark Place is the best, easily. The Amityville Conspiracy is a fun deconstruction of their bullshit as well.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I dunno if you've ever heard of the Black Hope Horror, it was a book made into a movie called "Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive" back in the '90s, but here's the background.

http://heathershade.blogspot.com/2009/11/curse-of-black-hope.html

That house is in a subdivision called Newport in Crosby, TX. I used to do exterminating work out there, a lot on the same street as the house, Poppet's Way. The house is at the very end next to the woods, and there's a water treatment facility right next door to it. I got to check the house and surrounding grounds out one day while I was out there, and there are still what looks like graves visible on the grounds of the plant, as well as in the back yard near the flower bed. The whole place still has kind of an eerie feel to it, though no one has reported anything publicly since the Williamses moved out.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I dunno if you've ever heard of the Black Hope Horror, it was a book made into a movie called "Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive" back in the '90s, but here's the background.

http://heathershade.blogspot.com/2009/11/curse-of-black-hope.html

That house is in a subdivision called Newport in Crosby, TX. I used to do exterminating work out there, a lot on the same street as the house, Poppet's Way. The house is at the very end next to the woods, and there's a water treatment facility right next door to it. I got to check the house and surrounding grounds out one day while I was out there, and there are still what looks like graves visible on the grounds of the plant, as well as in the back yard near the flower bed. The whole place still has kind of an eerie feel to it, though no one has reported anything publicly since the Williamses moved out.

I have the hardcover of that one too! It was pretty freaky. Didnt really like the "my daughter clearly has serious emotional and mental problems but it's most likely GHOOOOSTS" thing they pulled but otherwise it was good.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Well yeah, the daughter thing was a bit iffy, but overall it was a good story. I'm a big fan of local shit, I like to check out the places behind the stories. There's an old cemetery in the woods in La Porte, where I worked for a few years, that was almost completely forgotten about due to zoning disputes decades ago. A bayou runs through it and the banks are eroding quickly, so every once in a while an old ass coffin comes floating up into someone's back yard. I went to check it out a couple times, and there's a restoration effort going on. Pretty cool place, weird walking through the woods and just coming upon an old cemetery right in the middle of it.

Galveston also has some REALLY cool shit, the ghost tours are okay...the guy running them is more interested in self-promotion than anything, but there's a massive, old graveyard right in the middle of main street that is easy to spend an entire day in. Too bad the surrounding neighborhood is so rough.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I never really got into Buffy. I don't know why, I just can't stand Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Now the original Kristy Swanson movie? Sign me up, anytime.

It holds up surprisingly well. The rare CGI looks a little grainy, but the practical effects and makeup are still oddly scary.

Plus you get funny things like noting Whedon's "Hat-tricks" (actors he's used in multiple series), what was probably the earliest version of Cabin in the Woods, and things like back when Hawkeye was a vampire.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I never really got into Buffy. I don't know why, I just can't stand Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Now the original Kristy Swanson movie? Sign me up, anytime.

It holds up surprisingly well. The rare CGI looks a little grainy, but the practical effects and makeup are still oddly scary.

Plus you get funny things like noting Whedon's "Hat-tricks" (actors he's used in multiple series), what was probably the earliest version of Cabin in the Woods, and things like back when Hawkeye was a vampire.

If you watch Bones, it's hella funny to see Booth being all ~dark and brooding~ too

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Any notable horror movies hit Netflix recently, or maybe YouTube?

Was going to watch Insidious III with my buddy last night, but we missed the last showing for that night. He's a big fan, so he was pretty crushed.

As far as games go, you should all give Spooky's House of Jump Scares a shot. It's proven to be a surprisingly tense game with lots of homages to classic horror games (or games that were just plain spooky).

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Was going to watch Insidious III with my buddy last night, but we missed the last showing for that night. He's a big fan, so he was pretty crushed.

As far as games go, you should all give Spooky's House of Jump Scares a shot. It's proven to be a surprisingly tense game with lots of homages to classic horror games (or games that were just plain spooky).

babadook

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    babadook, if you haven't already seen it.

there's a movie called Last Phases that looked pretty sweet, werewolf creature feature, four stars.

man, i need to watch a lot of the higher rated netflix horror stuff.

i wonder if nightbreed is any good... i love clive barker. or hellraiser, at least.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    clive barker is late 80s as fuck

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

babadook

I forget. Is It Follows on Netflix?

Because It Follows is so good. Masterfully shot.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    PiptheFair wrote: »

babadook

I thought Babadook was really good. I hadn't even heard of it when I decided to watch it, so I was pleasantly surprised.

edit:

Oculus was good, and it's on Netflix now. The Possession was pretty good, too.

CorporateRed on
    Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Everyone should watch Absentia, if they haven't already.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I'd give starry eyes and a girl walks home alone at night a watch. I can't tell you they're great or even good movies but I like 'em a whole bunch.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    So this thing was caught by a fisherman in Taiwan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozv06YO8WqE
    It's probably a ribbon worm.

jgeis on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    googling ribbon worm led me to this image

2853F0D400000578-0-image-m-2_1430815224793.jpg

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    It's better worse as a gif.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Reminds me of slime molds

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I saw someone dressed up as the Babadook at the con I go to. I wish I had gotten a picture but the hall was closing and everyone was rushing around.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I saw someone dressed up as the Babadook at the con I go to. I wish I had gotten a picture but the hall was closing and everyone was rushing around.

I would flip if I saw that and demand a photo of me (and any other busters around) capturing it.
    Then we'd hit the trap just as the cameras flashed, catching it for real while yelling "sucker!"

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

There's a certain comfort, I suppose, in knowing that I've now seen the worst thing in the world

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

I love it

it's the best & I want one

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

There's a certain comfort, I suppose, in knowing that I've now seen the worst thing in the world

You think that, but the ocean is always full of surprises.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Saw Insidious Chapter 3 the other night.

Even though it's entire gimmick was Jump Scares: The Movie, they were admittedly effective jump scares. I would probably place it as the best of the three movies, or tied with the first. It wasn't a snoozer like the second one, at least.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hey it's time to bring this thread back up because holy crap I would not want to be living in this house.

From the article:
    CBS New York reports that the packages are from someone who claims the six-bedroom home “has been the subject of my family for decades.”

“I have been put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming,” one of the letters reportedly reads. Two others allegedly refer to the couple’s young children. “I am pleased to know your names now, and the name of the young blood you have brought to me,” one reportedly says. Another asks, “Have they found out what’s in the walls yet?”

The current homeowners are suing the previous ones because the previous homeowners also received letters and packages from "The Watcher" and didn't disclose that information before the sale.

jgeis on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    that's a novel strategy for driving down the price

or maybe not, isn't there a movie like that?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hey it's time to bring this thread back up because holy crap I would not want to be living in this house.

From the article:
    CBS New York reports that the packages are from someone who claims the six-bedroom home “has been the subject of my family for decades.”

“I have been put in charge of watching and waiting for its second coming,” one of the letters reportedly reads. Two others allegedly refer to the couple’s young children. “I am pleased to know your names now, and the name of the young blood you have brought to me,” one reportedly says. Another asks, “Have they found out what’s in the walls yet?”

The current homeowners are suing the previous ones because the previous homeowners also received letters and packages from "The Watcher" and didn't disclose that information before the sale.

holy CRAP

• Options
    edited June 2015
    If anything, I have to admire The Watcher's dedication. If I had the money, though, I'd buy the damn house and sit on the front porch with a big sign urging him to come over for a chat.

cr0w on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Ok but seriously people should watch this, dang

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    If anything, I have to admire The Watcher's dedication. If I had the money, though, I'd buy the damn house and sit on the front porch with a big sign urging him to come over for a chat.
    Well, the creep seemed upset by the changes made to it.
    Paint the front pink and blue, and change the facade to ultra-modern.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    If anything, I have to admire The Watcher's dedication. If I had the money, though, I'd buy the damn house and sit on the front porch with a big sign urging him to come over for a "chat".

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    knock it down, erect an Arby's

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It has to be someone with internal realtor connections to know who bought the house and where they lived so soon after purchase.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Or, you know, anyone who's obsessed with a piece of property and knows how to look up the parcel on the county assessor's website.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    We're having our people in Jersey look into it.

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I'm watching Ghost asylum right now.

they have a ghost trap that looks like a colander lined with mirrors and a single balloon in the middle

i wont spoil the end result

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The balloon pops?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    They eat spaghetti?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.