As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reality is merely an [REDACTED], albeit a very [Spooky] one

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I got into a fight once and the moment my shoulder broke I was aware

I was aware like, three seconds beforehand too

Then it took an hour to convince the owner of the house that, yes, my shoulder is broken, I need to go to a hospital

Bodies are weird, but other people are weirder

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    On the subject of the body and its powers in horror scenarios-

The time my foot was run over by a pallet jack was the only time in my life my brain has ever really gone into oh fuck we might die mode.
    Its in retrospect the most horrifying experience you ever go through
    As it pulled me down I managed to engage the brake and twist so I was facing up. Im on the floor and I feel constant painful pressure on my ankle. I think this is when the adrenaline kicked in.
    I figure my ankle is gonna get crushed at any moment and then Im screwed. Nobody is coming to this part of the store for at least an hour so help isnt coming. I realize I have to back this thing off my foot if I still want to have a foot.

So I brace myself and grab the steering handle and I move it back from my perspective very slowly screaming as the metal gets to my skin through the shoe and sock.

But its off. I look and the shoe os shredded. I basically have no skin on the top of my foot but I have a foot! I crawl to a work station nearby that has a walky talky but its fucking locked. I scream for help and thank god somebody hears me and gets a manager. That is when the adrenaline wears off. I realized my hour long ordeal was actually more like ten minutes . Then I think I went onto shock or something its all kind of blurry. I know I refused an ambulance and they let me drive home(why? ) then my mom took me to the ER .
    I got away with a severe sprain and abrasion. Two inches to the right and the front wheel would have destroyed my foot .
    I also have a crazy scar on my foot that I tell my neice was caused by kicking a shark so thats a positive.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So looks like we're getting a modern Lovecraft game soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHbuE7rbDzs

I am so excite!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    My friend got his ring finger de-gloved in front of me. So much blood.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

If you do any kind of manual labor, taking off your wedding ring during the day is pretty much the way to go. Lots of guys in the military keep their bands on their dog tag chains. I've met several old military types with missing ring fingers and every last story could have been prevented.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah it's a massively common workplace injury. He was on some file cabinets in the office, had his hand on the top as he jumped down, ring got caught in the metal on top of the cabinet, boom, oh hey where's all that blood coming from.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    "Honey, I swear the reason I don't wear my wedding ring is to avoid workplace injuries."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My husband doesn't wear his ring (he keeps it on his keyring) because when he wears it the skin the ring touches becomes painful, red, and inflamed, like some sort of chemical burn.

Our rings are made of silver.

He insists he is not a lycanthrope, and I have observed him closely on nights of the full-moon for any signs of physical transformation which have as yet not occurred, but I remain suspicious.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    My husband doesn't wear his ring (he keeps it on his keyring) because when he wears it the skin the ring touches becomes painful, red, and inflamed, like some sort of chemical burn.

He insists he is not a lycanthrope, and I have observed him closely on nights of the full-moon for any signs of physical transformation which have as yet not occurred, but I remain suspicious.

you should stake him just to make sure

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

But if I killed him, then how would I get to be a lycanthrope?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

We had a thriving side-job in making replacement wedding rings in the military. Titanium rings are hyper-hypoallergenic (no one is allergic to Titanium), and who doesn't want a ring that used to be part of a B-1 bomber?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    De-gloving is one of those things you only have to google once to know that every possible caution towards avoiding it is justified.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

just like in the old days, don't get baptized

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well Silver isn't werewolf specific. He could be a daywalker

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My skin had a reaction to my silver wedding ring too, but to the ring itself. I would wear it for a day and it would turn jet black wherever it contacted my skin.

So I switched to a stainless steel ring and honestly I don't think I'll ever wear anything else. It's super comfortable and shiny and also hypoallergenic.

Regarding rings and manual labor - silicone wedding rings are a thing now specifically for that purpose.
    d977e2db91331599cfda27a34e06bf0b.jpg

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

You can eat his flesh to gain his power.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

I had no idea it was sexually transmissible.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    I seem to remember some kind of anti-ark SCP at some point. I

This showed up in at least one werewolf movie. Maybe with Jack Nicholson? Also I think it's a spoiler

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

This showed up in at least one werewolf movie. Maybe with Jack Nicholson? Also I think it's a spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLDQOVrtgJ4

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Pretty sure that silver jewelry sometimes gets alloyed with nickel for reasons, and people often react to nickel (I know I do)

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

I didn't get to watch it happen, but a friend of mine got his ring finger caught in an industrial vinyl sheeting roller at his place of work and nearly got degloved. He pulled his hand back not one microsecond too late and managed to get out with some lacerations but not a full degloving. The wound still looked hella gnarly.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

I know it was used in Ginger Snaps.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

Pretty sure that silver jewelry sometimes gets alloyed with nickel for reasons, and people often react to nickel (I know I do)

@Decomposey
    Question, do you know if your rings are supposed to be sterling silver or were just noted as silver or silver plated? Silver plated jewelry is often nickel plated with silver, whereas sterling is fine silver alloyed with copper (and sometimes trace amounts of other metals).

Did the allergic effect happen a little while after you were married (plated silver may have worn away) or did it happen from the start (I have less of an idea, then)?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The rings are sterling silver, and it happened pretty much from the start. So I'm still leaning towards lycanthropy.

• Options
    Probably for the best, I think

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Though it might be good to get a test kit for your ring, at some point. Just to make sure.

I'm led to believe you can get one from a dermatologist

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The rings are sterling silver, and it happened pretty much from the start. So I'm still leaning towards lycanthropy.

There are a bevy of demonic entities who are also repelled by pure compositions such as silver. Have you tried putting a salt line across your door and seeing if your husband refuses to cross? Does religious symbolism repel him?

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »

There are a bevy of demonic entities who are also repelled by pure compositions such as silver. Have you tried putting a salt line across your door and seeing if your husband refuses to cross? Does religious symbolism repel him?

Though it's worth noting that sterling is usually only 92.5% pure. That other 7.5% might be all that's kept him from bursting into flame, up to this point.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

Yes, religious symbols repel him, but he raised Catholic so that's understandable. I will try the salt line though, just to be on the safe side. Because if he's a demon, I could possibly get wishes out of him!

• Options

Yes, religious symbols repel him, but he raised Catholic so that's understandable. I will try the salt line though, just to be on the safe side. Because if he's a demon, I could possibly get wishes out of him!

Pretty sure that's leprechauns. Even so, you already signed a binding contract with him.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    In my experience the differences between leprechauns, faeries, demons, djinn, and other transdimensional interlopers are purely academic. Be careful about making deals with any of them. Their contracts are very thorough and no human lawyer will likely be able to break them.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    In my experience the differences between leprechauns, faeries, demons, djinn, and other transdimensional interlopers are purely academic. Be careful about making deals with any of them. Their contracts are very thorough and no human lawyer will likely be able to break them.

Unless you are of the lovable rogue archetype, in which case your off-the-cuff interpretation will always win out and no worries.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

Unless you are of the lovable rogue archetype, in which case your off-the-cuff interpretation will always win out and no worries.

Well yeah, that's just metascience.

• Options
    Metascience fiction?

Or metascience FACT?!

Not sure which we want here.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    xxZcyXD.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    @Foolproof Are those destroying angels???

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    deathcaps? the stalks seem kinda thin and they don't have the whatchamacallits, the veil-remains, the rings

but I mean

never eat a mushroom. if you're eating a mushroom right now, stop

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Seriously wrote: »
    deathcaps? the stalks seem kinda thin and they don't have the whatchamacallits, the veil-remains, the rings

but I mean

never eat a mushroom. if you're eating a mushroom right now, stop

mmrrrumph!?
    ~spit take~

Enc on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Ok... ok

possibly new favourite SCP here. Partly because of the world building on an existing entry (SCP 231, one of the more well-known fucked up entries) but mostly because of the story telling through formatting. I don't think I've seen another SCP entry that mimics the different formats of viewing entries based on security clearance. That's super cool.

I hadn't read 231 in a while
    And looking at it now, they need to just go ahead and remove Procedure 110-Montauk from the mythos because it is just gross

Just curious, is everything on the wiki considered canon to the SCP setting?
    If so, this short story says that 110-Montauk isn't what you think, but they want you to think that it is what you think.
    http://www.scp-wiki.net/fear-alone
    "Gods very rarely are bound by the laws of physics, you know. Reality benders can shape the world around us at will, turn existence into their plaything. But everything has rules, Dr. Montgomery." He leaned in close. "Even gods have rules. Old laws, yes. Arcane, but effective. We began to look more closely into information we had gathered about the Scarlet King, about the entity itself. Within all of those documents, all of the collected material we had at our disposal, and discovered something else."

He leaned back again. "The demon does not need to be contained by horrifying, disgusting acts, Montgomery. The demon only needs to believe that horrifying, disgusting acts are being done in its name. The documentation we created, the terrible rumors about Procedure 110-Montauk, the reports of suicide by the doctors working on this project, all of it. It's all a charade. All of it is to convince the demon that we are doing the worst thing possible to this girl. These procedures, this campaign of fear, has allowed us to sow dread into the hearts of Foundation personnel, and this dread satisfies the monster."

"As long as so many people believe we are doing terrible things, the monster will continue to believe we are doing terrible things. There is power in symbols, doctor. The old gods know this, and the old gods are bound by it. The Scarlet King does not have eyes to see brutality, does not have ears to hear screams, does not have a nose to smell blood. But the Scarlet King can sense fear, and we have given it fear. Fear alone is all that it ever required."

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    There is intentionally no formal canon in the SCP Universe. You can embrace or ignore any or all of it.

#pipe on
This discussion has been closed.