As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Of course, once all the stars wink out, the universe will be very black for very, very long. But no metaphor is perfect.

I feel like very few metaphors account for the heat death of the universe

and really, why would they?

because it's directly relevant to both the tenor and the vehicle of the metaphor and failing to account for it makes it a bad metaphor

Man if your perception of reality is colored at all times by "Yeah but then HEAT DEATH OF THE UNIVERSE" then you might have a problem.

It's like "The grass is always greener UNTIL IT'S ASH BECAUSE THE SUN EXPANDED TOO FAR". That's not a great metaphor.

you did not understand my post or my specific criticism of the metaphor in question, I think

the metaphor's vehicle is specifically the fates of the stars, over a cosmically long period of time, as that is the necessary time frame for stars to be born and to die

the metaphor suggests that the battle between light and dark mirrors the stars as they gradually illuminate the void, and are "winning"

but they are not, and their ultimate fate in that cosmic scale of time is annihilation and darkness. there is no sense in which the stars are "winning."

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Metaphors do not draw 100% perfect parallels, homie. They're used to illustrate a point. You've got to be acting purposefully obtuse here, right?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    That's the most absurd interpretation of stars, the night sky, and the balance of light and dark I've heard in a long time.

He's not referring to stars OVERCOMING the darkness, but that despite the great black void that encompass the enormity of the sky, there's still light. That even though there's so much to despair, there's still hope.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    Seriously, you can break down any metaphor by adding "...but it doesn't matter because we'll all die eventually", or "...until the universe comes to a cold, dark end and all life ceases to be."

But, uh, that would be dumb.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    OK, change of subject - worst potential actors to be involved with True Detective?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Dude who played Mark Brendanawicz on P&R. I hope to never see his face on my TV again.

• Options
    Blake Lively and Channing Tatum.

• Options
    Michael Cera and Mindy Kaling for me

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Blake Lively and Channing Tatum.

Shut your mouth about my boy Channing.

But seriously, I think he has some pretty good acting chops.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Kevin Bacon, Paul Rudd, and Kevin Spacey.

Just because the last one might make you want to watch and suffer through the previous two.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Are you talking shit about Paul Rudd?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Diorinix wrote: »
    That's the most absurd interpretation of stars, the night sky, and the balance of light and dark I've heard in a long time.

He's not referring to stars OVERCOMING the darkness, but that despite the great black void that encompass the enormity of the sky, there's still light. That even though there's so much to despair, there's still hope.

This is very specifically not what he's saying, if I recall - he says the words "the light is winning," does he not?

The parallel being drawn is "stars vs void" and "light vs darkness," on a cosmic scale, and on a cosmic scale the stars are doomed. He's not saying "treasure the light we have now despite the looming dark," he's saying the light is overcoming the dark. Which is not borne out in the show's narrative or in the vehicle of the metaphor, which is specifically cosmological.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Adam Sandler, Kevin James, and Nick Swardson, with a dual role of Sandler in drag as the female lead.

• Options
    Adam Sandler, Kevin James, and Nick Swardson, with a dual role of Sandler in drag as the female lead.

You're a monster.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

You're a monster.

You wanted the worst - that was truly plumbing the depths of the greatest horror my mind could think of.

• Options
    Tyler Perry as all 3 leads. One of them is an obese woman, obvs.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Stephen Dorff in a wig, Christian Slater and William Devane. And the bad guy is played by Jack Nicholson.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    No, the villain is the guy who played Walter White in Breaking Bad.

Oh, no, I mean Walter White Jr.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Aisha Tyler, Katie Sackhoff, and Yvonne Strahovski.

Wait.....this isn't the Captain Marvel fancast rankings thread?

NO MATTER.

Still works TD Season 2 Captain Marvels LETS GO.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Matthew Lillard, Steve Guttenberg, and Rob Schneider, if we are going with actually abysmal track records

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    With Kristen Stewart as the romantic interest

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Tyler Perry as all 3 leads. One of them is an obese woman, obvs.

Still better than Sandler.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Matthew Lillard, Steve Guttenberg, and Rob Schneider, if we are going with actually abysmal track records

Lillard plays a mean Shaggy and is a fantastic dramatic actor, like on The Bridge.

• Options
    I know you're not going to put up a spirited defense of Stewart though

• Options
    I know you're not going to put up a spirited defense of Stewart though

She'd fail HBO's boob test, I think.

• Options
    Kristen Stewart would win an emmy for it if she just played an abused woman who has shrunk down in her shell and can only make one face because of her inner anguish. She'd slay that role.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Kristen Stewart would win an emmy for it if she just played an abused woman who has shrunk down in her shell and can only make one face because of her inner anguish. She'd slay that role.

So you're saying she's the perfect Lifetime actress.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

This is very specifically not what he's saying, if I recall - he says the words "the light is winning," does he not?

The parallel being drawn is "stars vs void" and "light vs darkness," on a cosmic scale, and on a cosmic scale the stars are doomed. He's not saying "treasure the light we have now despite the looming dark," he's saying the light is overcoming the dark. Which is not borne out in the show's narrative or in the vehicle of the metaphor, which is specifically cosmological.

It is born out in the show's narrative. It's largely the point of the show's narrative.

What you are actually saying is "it's not a scientifically accurate metaphor". Which is irrelevant.

• Options
    I have to link to this gif due to file size, but trust me when I say it's worth clicking. =)

https://i.imgur.com/MvpYmhD.gif

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    http://badassdigest.com/2014/06/12/nic-pizzolatto-offers-rumor-control-on-true-detectives-second-season/

FOUR LEADS, not three now! plus no one has been cast yet despite hilarious rumours. straight from the horses mouth.

also he casually mentions that his involvement might not go beyond 3 seasons. D: damn. given his explanation in the link, i can understand why.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Pizzolatto was just saying doing what he's doing now, writing every episode single handedly and having an entirely new story to tell every season isn't something he thinks he could do beyond 3 seasons. I can't imagine who could blame him. I mean, even the greatest TV like Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc. all happen with a full writer's room and they get to use the same characters over the span of seasons. To do what Pizzolatto did with True Detective is pretty unreal.

Honestly, I'd rather see them stop True Detective after 2 or 3 great seasons anyway. Doing a new story every year, it's only a matter of time until one of them doesn't stick the landing and then you don't have any investment in characters or anything to carry the show through a weak season.

Pizzolatto should just do how much TD he wants, then try to get a development deal to be a showrunner on a regular type cable drama. Just being in the writer's room and not having to be so hands on involved every day, ala Gilligan or others would probably feel like a cakewalk to him after doing TD the way he is.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I hope they'll continue with the Yellow King stuff. They did a pretty perfect level of understating any mythos influence and weaving it into the narrative plausibly.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    No, the villain is the guy who played Walter White in Breaking Bad.

Oh, no, I mean Walter White Jr.

So many breakfast related mysteries to solve.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Every character is played by Eddie Murphy.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

It is born out in the show's narrative. It's largely the point of the show's narrative.

What you are actually saying is "it's not a scientifically accurate metaphor". Which is irrelevant.

hey i forgot about this argument!

(i imagine a chorus of groans here)

one of my objections to the show is that it is very much not borne out in the narrative, and the show's "point" being that good is triumphing over evil is a huge problem - because the whole thing is them discovering a vast conspiracy of sexual abuse and murder, and managing to kill one particularly vile member involved therein. that's not "winning"; that's a small, personal victory, one which doesn't really protect many people and leaves dozens of children and young women vulnerable to horrifying abuse.

that fits into the sort of desperate, tragic struggle we saw earlier in the show, and fits into the fatalistic or resigned mentality Rust has early on; you fight on against the horror you see because it's all you can do, even though you can never win.

there's no cause for optimism in the show, and there certainly isn't any sign that they're "winning."

so 1) the tenor of the metaphor is already flawed. it fails to mesh with the show's narrative/atmosphere/tone. it's a nice message that seems a bit hamfistedly crammed in there.

and then 2) even if we were to accept the metaphor's tenor and say "sure, good is winning," how do the stars in the night sky represent that at all? in what way are the stars in the void of the night sky analogous to good winning over evil? you've accused me of being pedantic, but I would ask anyone to explain how the vehicle of this metaphor at all relates to the explicitly stated theme of good winning over evil.

I have already explained how I believe it works very well for good never truly winning, and evil eventually destroying everything - hopeless, pessimistic fatalism rather than optimism. That would also match the early tone of the show! Other people have objected by saying it's not about good "winning," though that's exactly what Rust says: "Once there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning." The metaphor would work far better if it meant the opposite!

It's, honestly, a horrible metaphor. It's a goddamn mess. If I were grading a paper or piece of short fiction, and someone tried a metaphor as clumsily constructed as that, I would circle it in red ink.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Plus, I don'o think, cosmological, speaking that there ever was only dark.

The universe started off opaque due to there being too much light/energy.

Then it dimmed and stars coalesced. Perhaps just prior to coalescence it was darkish. But still.

It's heading for dark though,

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    one of my objections to the show is that it is very much not borne out in the narrative, and the show's "point" being that good is triumphing over evil

NOOOOOOOOPE

thing a character said in a scene =/= the show's point

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hey guys remember those True Detective prints that Mondo sold a while ago

I finally got mine back from the framing place

pQoMZrxl.jpg

#unf

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2014
    and then 2) even if we were to accept the metaphor's tenor and say "sure, good is winning," how do the stars in the night sky represent that at all? in what way are the stars in the void of the night sky analogous to good winning over evil? you've accused me of being pedantic, but I would ask anyone to explain how the vehicle of this metaphor at all relates to the explicitly stated theme of good winning over evil.

I have already explained how I believe it works very well for good never truly winning, and evil eventually destroying everything - hopeless, pessimistic fatalism rather than optimism. That would also match the early tone of the show! Other people have objected by saying it's not about good "winning," though that's exactly what Rust says: "Once there was only dark. If you ask me, the light's winning." The metaphor would work far better if it meant the opposite!

*cracks knuckles*
    Rust: “Light versus dark.”

Marty: “Well, I know we ain’t in Alaska, but it appears to me that the dark has a lot more territory.”

Rust: “Yeah, you’re right about that.”

*Rust insists that Marty help him leave the hospital, and Marty agrees. As they head to the car, Rust makes one final point to his former partner.*

Rust: “You’re looking at it wrong, the sky thing.”

Marty: “How’s that?”

Rust: “Well, once there was only dark. You ask me, the light’s winning.”

Dark as hopeless, pessimistic fatalism.
    Light as hope, optimism, meaning.

The metaphor hinges on "once there was only dark". In a cosmological sense, Rust's view is that being / light was spawned ex nihilo. Prior to that moment, there was darkness, nothing, hopeless meaningless void. The common state of affairs, normalcy, is that there are no affairs. Empty, void, nothingness.

Then within that void comes light, hope, meaning. Despite the void, being / hope / light begins.

That instant conflicts with normalcy, conflicts with the original non-conditions. In this sense, light is winning merely by existing. It is not a quantitative sort of winning, a 51% majority winning. Light is winning simply by persevering despite the pull of reality towards nothingness, towards void, towards non-being.

Think of the first episode where Rust says, "I lack the constitution for suicide." The phrasing is that Cohle lacks constitution, is devoid of constitution. He phrases his inability to commit suicide as a failing. If he were better, if he had that constitution, he would commit suicide.

Now he's reversed his position. Existing, maintaining his life, is a form of victory, a kind of winning. It's not that he "lacks a constitution" but rather he "has a drive" or "has an urge" to continue existing in this world. He's switched from "suicide is preferable" to "life is preferable".

That is the sense of winning. When reality is oriented towards darkness / nothing, any modicum of light / being is winning simply by persevering despite reality's pull towards void.

If an inch of cleanliness can exist in a world composed of shit, then that inch is winning merely by persevering.

That's the point.

_J_ on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

hey i forgot about this argument!

(i imagine a chorus of groans here)

one of my objections to the show is that it is very much not borne out in the narrative, and the show's "point" being that good is triumphing over evil is a huge problem - because the whole thing is them discovering a vast conspiracy of sexual abuse and murder, and managing to kill one particularly vile member involved therein. that's not "winning"; that's a small, personal victory, one which doesn't really protect many people and leaves dozens of children and young women vulnerable to horrifying abuse.

that fits into the sort of desperate, tragic struggle we saw earlier in the show, and fits into the fatalistic or resigned mentality Rust has early on; you fight on against the horror you see because it's all you can do, even though you can never win.

there's no cause for optimism in the show, and there certainly isn't any sign that they're "winning."

You contradict yourself. They are winning. They achieved a victory against all the things wrong in the world, that the show goes over. Did they end all evil? Nope. But as Marty says "We did our part". They made the world a little bit better. They ended an evil man and in doing so Marty has gained acceptance from his family and Rust has been able to come to terms with his issues. They achieved a small victory. That they can win is a source of optimism in the face of Rust's former nihilism and depression. Once it was all darkness, now there's pinpricks of light.

This all fits perfectly with the show and what it was saying.

It's, honestly, a horrible metaphor. It's a goddamn mess. If I were grading a paper or piece of short fiction, and someone tried a metaphor as clumsily constructed as that, I would circle it in red ink.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. The black is bad. The light is good. Once is was all bad (ie - all dark). Now there's bits of good up here (ie - tiny bits of light, also known as stars) The light is pushing back the dark, bit by bit. It's that simple. It's gone from 100% bad to only, like, 98% bad. Light is winning.

Is this cosmologically accurate? No. But that's pedantic and irrelevant. The scientific accuracy of Rust's statement is not relevant to the show. And there's no reason to think Rust would know that anyway.

This is a perfectly simple and straightforward metaphor. Your inability to grasp it seems born of silly goosery or a lack of understanding of basic writing. This is dead fucking simple.

Your problem again seems to be that you can't accept that the show's whole point is that Rust's earlier statements exist to be overturned. The point of the dark tone of the early parts of the show is to establish a tone of bleak and nihilistic despair so that when the leads win and come to their own personal epiphanies, the victory feels earned. That's how conflict in a narrative works. You first have to establish that something is wrong before the heroes can set it right.

You say the metaphor doesn't work not because it actually doesn't work but because you are disappointed in the ending for not going the nihilistic way you wanted it to. Either that or you are a hardcore pedant who can't accept that the scientific accuracy of the metaphor is irrelevant.