As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The King In Yellow actually does have a lot of thematic similarities, in that a lot of the stories deal with how our perceptions get warped by prejudices and madness, not to mention a crap ton of religious horror elements and, of course, the mythos type stuff.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    It is also excellant, and I'm really happy True Detective got more people reading it. Hearing about the show involving it, even in a sideways kind of way, was what got me into the show.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    FUCK YEAH on Vince Vaughn maybe being in TD S02. I have faith in him as a serious dramatic actor the way some of you dudes did in McConaughey before his turn in TD.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    FUCK YEAH on Vince Vaughn maybe being in TD S02. I have faith in him as a serious dramatic actor the way some of you dudes did in McConaughey before his turn in TD.

Why though?

McConaughey had actually demonstrated range in the past. Anyone who knew the guy wasn't surprised he could turn in a geat performance.

WTF has Vince Vaughn ever done?

shryke on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    shryke wrote: »

Why thought?

McConaughey had actually demonstrated range in the past. Anyone who knew the guy wasn't surprised he could turn in a great performance.

WTF has Vince Vaughn ever done?

I think theres several occasions where you see him break the 'jackass' persona in movies to have a serious moment, or to play a professional in a movie. I agree, I think he's capable of the role if he would stop getting typecast. I'd give him a chance for sure.
    _J_ wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    You guys, I just marathoned this show and holy shit it was so good how did so many of you handle the week to week wait and man the two leads were perfect and run on sentance!!!

Mostly by making up theories that were, at best, implausible and at worst, completely insane.

Hey. In our defense, the first 4 episodes, and a good chunk of episode 5, could have fit into an elaborate Cthulhu Mythos.

I think by episode 2 or 3 we were putting a ton of pieces together to say that this was going to end up being a Cthulhu show.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Vince Vaughn was in Rudy.

His best work in a serious role, IMHO, was Clay Pigeons with Joaquin Phoenix.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I hear Vaughn was fine in Psycho but no one watches that film because you can just watch Hitchcock's version instead.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    FUCK YEAH on Vince Vaughn maybe being in TD S02.
    Plz no :(

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I think Vaughn could do a great job as the more traditional detective like Marty. He does have moments where he seems like a great actor, but he just doesn't get many chances to show it. He was surprisingly good in Delivery Man. With a serious role that he could play completely straight, he could knock it out of the park.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Once upon a time, Vaughn was more of an 'upcoming leading man' type a 'schmooze with Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, and/or Will Ferrell' type. So yeah. He was in Psycho. He was also in Jurassic Park The Lost World. He was in The Cell...

Ok, with the JP reference I'll admit I was trying to make a tenuous link to Vaughn being Chris Pratt in reverse, career-wise, but Vaughn has done a solid decade of same-ish comedy material, so if he wants to step up and be something else, I could buy that he's got enough motivation to try.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I hear Vaughn was fine in Psycho but no one watches that film because you can just watch Hitchcock's version instead.

He was horribly miscast in that role and that movie was a god awful embarrassment to cinema

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Once upon a time, Vaughn was more of an 'upcoming leading man' type a 'schmooze with Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, and/or Will Ferrell' type. So yeah. He was in Psycho. He was also in Jurassic Park The Lost World. He was in The Cell...

Ok, with the JP reference I'll admit I was trying to make a tenuous link to Vaughn being Chris Pratt in reverse, career-wise, but Vaughn has done a solid decade of same-ish comedy material, so if he wants to step up and be something else, I could buy that he's got enough motivation to try.

I could buy he wants to try.

I don't buy that he's got the chops to pull it off.

I mean, he could, but there's no indication of that as of yet.

• Options
    All of the above mentioned stuff. And good comedic actors have a pretty good track record when turning to serious roles. (Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine, Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love/Reign Over Me, etc).

Comedians are much better at taking on serious roles than traditionally dramatic actors are at the reverse. Comedy's fucking hard, and that sense of timing and delivery can be applied to pretty much any type of role.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/05/true-detective-casting-talks-continue/

edit: decided to spoiler it just in case, i dont think anything is spoiler worthy but contains plot info who's (might) be playing who.
    According to The Wrap, Vaughn would be playing antagonist Frank Semyon, "a former thug-turned-businessman who's working with a local mayor and his political cohorts to spearhead the construction of a high-speed railway system that links Southern California to Northern California in order to reap financial gains from federal grants and land purchases." The Wrap goes so far as to say series creator Nic Pizzolatto wrote the part with Vaughn in mind.

The rest of the leaked plot breakdown concerns members of three law agencies converging on a crime scene near Big Sur with possible ties to the occult. Elizabeth Moss and Michelle Forbes are in the running to join the cast as the female lead opposite Farrell and Kitsch. Sounds intriguing, but I was in from the word go. More than anything else I'm finding myself unreasonably excited at the idea of a new, ocean-themed title sequence.

awesome. i really want vaughn in now and about 90% of that is just see the tears and whining from people on the internet. it will be glorious.

so its looking like michele forbes (yay!!) elizabeth moss, colin farrell, taylor kitsch as the leads with vince vaughn as the antagonist with dat pizzolatto occult writing and william goddamn friedkin directing. if you don't like the sound of that its time to leave the internet and quit watching anything.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh, he's gonna be the Villain? Yeah, he'll do just fine.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    That's the plot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    There's no way to say this that won't sound unfair and mean, but, I can totally buy Vince Vaughn playing a scumbag.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Vaughn does scumbag pretty well honestly. Even in a lot of his comedic roles he's the funny scumbag, heh.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    It is also excellant, and I'm really happy True Detective got more people reading it. Hearing about the show involving it, even in a sideways kind of way, was what got me into the show.

No lie, the primary reason I watched True Detective was due to hearing about the King in Yellow being related to it.

Not quite as strongly as I would've liked, but yeah, still enjoyed it.

• Options
    But seriously that is literally Judge Doom's scheme in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
    Admittedly, based on real events, but still.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Elisabeth Moss now in the rumor mill. She was fantastic in Top of the Lake so I'm all for it.

• Options
    Oh god, these casting rumors are amazing.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    That's the plot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

billboards reaching as far as the eye can see

my god, it'll be beautiful

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    http://www.mvtvsv.com/2014/08/true-detective-season-2-plot-details.html

Only thing I am concerned about is them wanting a strong, female lead and they would consider her. I don't see her that way at all nor as an actor who can play the role they describe in the article.

• Options
    I can only imagine you have never seen Elizabeth Moss in anything in order to make a statement like that.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    I can only imagine you have never seen Elizabeth Moss in anything in order to make a statement like that.

Yes, her awards list is just brimming...take out Mad Men which I don't care for and there isn't much. I haven't liked her since West Wing. Sorry for the differing opinion.

• Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Vaughn does scumbag pretty well honestly. Even in a lot of his comedic roles he's the funny scumbag, heh.

His scene in Clay Pigeons with Janeane Garofalo is one of my favorite things he's done.

• Options
    Rhah wrote: »

Yes, her awards list is just brimming...take out Mad Men which I don't care for and there isn't much. I haven't liked her since West Wing. Sorry for the differing opinion.

I'm just saying, it's probably worth checking out (at minimum) Top of the Lake, and some later season Mad Men before you write her off as incapable of playing a believable strong female lead.

• Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Taylor Kitsch might be in True Detective?? Noooooo...

That guy was a total douchebag as a kid. Bullied my brother mercilessly. Him being in two massive box-office bombs was a little bit of schadenfreude, but him being in something I'd actually want to watch... ugh.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Don't tell me Tim Riggins was a bully. I don't want to know. =P

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    T-bolt wrote: »

That guy was a total douchebag as a kid. Bullied my brother mercilessly. Him being in two massive box-office bombs was a little bit of schadenfreude, but him being in something I'd actually want to watch... ugh.

He totally seems like the kind of guy who was a shithead as a kid.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Roger Sterling: Get me some coffee, will you?
    Peggy Olson: No.

• Options

people change.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I love Elizabeth Moss (almost just typed Peggy Olsen)

so glad about this news.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    http://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/04/did-the-writer-of-true-detective-plagiarize-thomas-ligotti-and-others/

Was this already linked in here? I didn't remember seeing it. Lovecraftian plagiarism accusations!

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    http://lovecraftzine.com/2014/08/04/did-the-writer-of-true-detective-plagiarize-thomas-ligotti-and-others/

Was this already linked in here? I didn't remember seeing it. Lovecraftian plagiarism accusations!

a lot of that looks like straw clutching.

• Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular

people change.
    Sure, but if his character happens to get brutally murdered by cultists I know some people will be grinning.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

some of the exact quotes, yeah, but man a lot of it is word-for-word lifted from Ligotti, and they're claiming he never acknowledges that, or even mentions Ligotti unless asked directly

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

some of the exact quotes, yeah, but man a lot of it is word-for-word lifted from Ligotti, and they're claiming he never acknowledges that, or even mentions Ligotti unless asked directly

Except he did, during the press tour after the show launched.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    having read the book, i pretty much recognized the phrasings immediately

i didn't really interpret it as stealing at the time, but if he's really less than open about his source, then it really is kind of a dick move