As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Huh. I recall a bunch of supernatural stuff in season 1. :P
    The motives for the bad guys, their final place is named and stylised after this spooky fictional city of monsters and then Rust literally sees a portal to space.

so there weren't any literal demons from hell. The story was very steeped in the occult.

Having whiffs of occult is one thing. Having actual supernatural stuff is another. What people believe =! what is actually real.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The motives for the bad guys, their final place is named and stylised after this spooky fictional city of monsters and then Rust literally sees a portal to space.

so there weren't any literal demons from hell. The story was very steeped in the occult.

There was nothing explicitly supernatural in s1 of True Detective. The King in Yellow doesn't exist in that world as the piece of fiction it does in our world. References to that stuff were just in name. And while the cult itself obviously had crazy ideas about ascending to the outer loop or whatever, none of it was real.

And Rust doesn't actually see that. It's a hallucination brought on by intense fear and anxiety that caused him to be caught off guard. There was a ton of crazy ideas in s1, but nothing actually supernatural. There were no actual monsters and what not, beyond the people doing monstrous things.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »

There was nothing explicitly supernatural in s1 of True Detective. The King in Yellow doesn't exist in that world as the piece of fiction it does in our world. References to that stuff were just in name. And while the cult itself obviously had crazy ideas about ascending to the outer loop or whatever, none of it was real.

And Rust doesn't actually see that. It's a hallucination brought on by intense fear and anxiety that caused him to be caught off guard. There was a ton of crazy ideas in s1, but nothing actually supernatural. There were no actual monsters and what not, beyond the people doing monstrous things.

Quoting so that I can agree with this a second time. Hard.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I dunno...Rust's Beer Can Carving could have been some subtle occult magic to get them to let him go...

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Personally, I think the best occult stuff is really ambiguous anyway. It's not gonna be a werewolf that gets shot in broad daylight and is wheeled into a morgue for study. Occult is a thing happening and you don't know what the fuck it was, and the people who think it is something are probably just delusional and crazy anyway. On that front, True Detective did just fine.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Obviously a portal to Carcosa didn't really open. I didn't mean real tangible supernatural stuff occurs, just that it informs everything the bad guys want and do. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Pizzolatto apparently changed his mind on the occult stuff while working on the second season.

Gotta say now that we are getting closer to the show coming back I am starting to get excited now. I'm feeling good about it.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Hybrid wrote: »
    Pizzolatto apparently changed his mind on the occult stuff while working on the second season.

Gotta say now that we are getting closer to the show coming back I am starting to get excited now. I'm feeling good about it.

dammit. while i like the focus on character work he mentions i don't like the idea of going for a grounded crime story but i'm sure he knows what he's doing.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, anyone who can churn out something like the first season of True Detective gets the benefit of the doubt from me, but it's like they wrote a list of stuff I liked about the first season and specifically set out to remove that from the second season.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I have to wonder if he's annoyed about the outsized attention the occult aspects got (and, more cynically, the attention those aspects drew away from him and over to Chambers, whom he apparently doesn't think much of despite everything) and set out the remove them for that reason alone.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The next season is going to be the last episode of the first season remixed endlessly.

It will drive men mad, with its non-Euclidean plot lines and alien, unstable, indescribable character examination.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    no occult stuff is kind of a bummer

and the stuff from the first season is ambiguous enough that you can do whatever you want with it, which is why I liked it

doesn't matter still excite

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but I expect season 2 of True Detective to be a lot more like Pizzolatto's novel Galveston than s1 of True Detective. They have some great actors to work with, so I look forward to it. IMO S1 of True Detective didn't need any of the occult underpinnings anyway. The best part of the show was just the two leads delivering great performances, showing how a case changed their lives over a couple decades.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The fact that there were no crazy occult goings on and ending made season one the most elaborate, exquisitely sculpted, diamond encrusted turd I have ever seen.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    The fact that there were no crazy occult goings on and ending made season one the most elaborate, exquisitely sculpted, diamond encrusted turd I have ever seen.
    I can understand this sentiment, but can't for my life agree with it:
    1) Supernatural occurrences/creatures are straight up hard as shit to give a "dignified" portrayal in movies, even more so for television I'd wager. I'd say it hardly couldn't be done within the down-to-earth TD setting and series, so I very much understand skipping out on it. 2) The BBEG certainly was creepy and menacing enough to fit the horror genre so that base is covered imo.

I liked the mythos implications in TD very much but the series kinda is like that ol' Asylum/Session 9 movie, only even lighter on the supernatural side: You could assume the mythos exists within the setting, the protagonists were just lucky enough to never really run into it proper (some of Rust's visions aside). It could all have been a sham, changes nothing.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The occult stuff exists to set a tone for the show in S1. A feeling of constant dread.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The occult stuff was one of the least important parts of True Detective for me. It's down there with the show being set in Louisiana vice Mississippi or them being state police instead of local. All of those things change the story but not in any important way compared to the character stories or performance.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The occult stuff exists to set a tone for the show in S1. A feeling of constant dread.

exactly

nerds gotta ruin everything.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Season 1 was probably the best way to portray the occult in a real-world setting. It informs the decisions of characters, it gives events a sense of mystery and meaning. But it's never explicitly shown as something unambiguously real. This is basically the closest you can get to occult realism in a story, and that's one of the reasons why I love the first season so much.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Actually scratch that. The occult not being real is pretty good cause it means every murder committed served no purpose beyond furthering the depravity of man. Which is way more disturbing than magic.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the feeling of dread and horror being tied to the nihilism and antihumanism was really potent for me, and is what i want from season 2

they could make the show about skinny office drones pushing paper if they could achieve the twinning of personal and existential dread that we got from season 1

it might also end up just being a totally solid murder mystery/character drama, which is fine, if disappointing

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    the feeling of dread and horror being tied to the nihilism and antihumanism was really potent for me, and is what i want from season 2

they could make the show about skinny office drones pushing paper if they could achieve the twinning of personal and existential dread that we got from season 1

it might also end up just being a totally solid murder mystery/character drama, which is fine, if disappointing

Or it could be about something else while not just being a simple mystery/character drama. Not every season has to be about creeping existential dread.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    everything should be about creeping existential dread

everything

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Or it could be about something else while not just being a simple mystery/character drama. Not every season has to be about creeping existential dread.

i mean, i guess it could, if you're into that

i'd like fifty minutes of my TV becoming a gaping empty socket in the skull of vast cosmic nothingness, though

maybe he'll pick a different philosophical stance for which a brooding character will act as a mouthpiece

• Options
    edited May 2015

i mean, i guess it could, if you're into that

i'd like fifty minutes of my TV becoming a gaping empty socket in the skull of vast cosmic nothingness, though

maybe he'll pick a different philosophical stance for which a brooding character will act as a mouthpiece
    8tk8zavc4hk6.jpg

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    If they do a season set in a small plains or mountain town I could see it.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Apparently I was talking to a ghost!

Quid on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A second season of 'maybe it's supernatural' doesn't work nearly as well because you already know about s1.

I never felt it was core to the story. The core was the absurdity and vileness of the events, the extent of the corruption in small town government, the sacrifice that was needed for doing the right thing, and the imperfect main characters that don't learn nearly as much the average hero does, but still find themselves being heroes at the end by making the right decisions when it matters.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it worked in the first season because Louisiana Bayou country is fucking weird, even in real life.

Doesn't quite work in LA unless you do like a scientology angle, but that's not super interesting.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Maybe they are tricking us and Cthulhu will actually be the big bad of S2 in L.A.

HBO loves the long con.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Yeah, it worked in the first season because Louisiana Bayou country is fucking weird, even in real life.

Doesn't quite work in LA unless you do like a scientology angle, but that's not super interesting.

nor possible because your legal systems and scientology's propensity for taking people to court for anything.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if there isnt an actual wizard casting magic missile in s2 of true detective im suing hbo and blowing up los angeles

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    it's going to be like that game of thrones episode where the gnome fire mage saved the party with a clutch POE pyroblast and it was never spoken of again

override367 on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    if there isnt an actual wizard casting magic missile in s2 of true detective im suing hbo and blowing up los angeles

But only after you rename yourself to Simon Phoenix.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Season 2 reviews are coming in, and they are overwhelmingly negative so far. Oh well.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They only watched three episodes, much like Sense8 got destroyed in reviews, cause yeah those first 3 sucked.

I wanna believe they couldn't shit the bed that badly, but one detail that's come out is that
    It's a linear story, no flashback duel narrative stuff

which seems like a very strange thing to drop.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    seems to me the reviews of season 2 are being extra savage because "It's not all the things we liked about season 1!" rather than "This show is objectively bad on it's own merits!"

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    This Slate review is pretty interesting: Season 2 Review

Spends a bit too much time highlighting how Pizzolatto is an asshole, but I have a suspicion that the observations regarding the male leads and their delivery is likely accurate. Nevertheless, the review is relatively positive.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    They only watched three episodes, much like Sense8 got destroyed in reviews, cause yeah those first 3 sucked.

I wanna believe they couldn't shit the bed that badly, but one detail that's come out is that
    It's a linear story, no flashback duel narrative stuff

which seems like a very strange thing to drop.
    The flashback dual-narrative thing was important to the story being told in season 1 - how this case had impacted the lives of these two broken men over many years.

If this story ends up more in-the-moment and without the need of doing a bunch of age makeup on the cast then that isn't the biggest loss. In truth it would have possibly felt contrived if he went back to the same framing device well again.

We will see. I went into True Detective completely blind and I was rewarded with a really good show. Maybe it will happen again, maybe not, but I am not gonna cry foul at the temerity of the writer to try and not be too constrained by the success of what he did last season.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...