As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Holy shit.

So I can't recall the last time I have seen a non-anthology TV show switch genres like this.

We spent three hours watching a patient, realistic (if lurid) procedural mystery overlaid with an atmosphere of economic and spiritual despair.

Now we're watching a show about hard-drinking loose cannon cops on the edge.

Dragnet plus Twin Peaks just took a detour into Miami Vice meets Heat. And yet it works. The characters are still themselves, the plot was as intelligently laid out as ever, there was as much time spent on setting and mood as before.

It's fascinating to me, though, because it makes me wonder if True Detective's ambitions are even bigger than I thought. Are we going to touch base on, and recontextualize, every permutation of the crime and mystery story? I mean, I'm not expecting Cohle and Hart to start investigating a murder in a genteel English country house but at this point, fuck, I wouldn't even be surrpised.

rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I'm like covering my eyes throwing this out there cause I'm only halfway through but
    YOU ARE LIKE THE MICHAEL JORDAN OF BEIN A SON OF A BITCH

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

I loved that this episode suddenly and hilariously turned up the dial on the 90s-ness.
    - Michael Jordan
    - KRS-One playing at the strip club
    - a rave!
    - GIANT CELL PHONE YESSSSS

rRwz9.gif
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    I never thought I'd describe an episode this show as "zany"

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Jesus H Monkey Butt...
    I'm gonna have to watch alteast that final scene again tonight.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I fucking love this show and everything it is doing.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Cohle is officially a badass.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    just fyi dudes pizzolatto says that first 3 eps are act 1, slow and stately

eps 4-6 are act 2, which are different but not necessarily all action all the time - just much more varied in pacing

and eps 7-8 are act 3 which is apparently going to be unusual and strange (possibly plotting what happens in louisiana over the intervening period somehow)

but his new series that he is ritin is even weirder

swag

obF2Wuw.png
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    I feel like my life is just an ongoing series of inconveniences I have to endure in between episodes of True Detective.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I'm like covering my eyes throwing this out there cause I'm only halfway through but

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

I loved that this episode suddenly and hilariously turned up the dial on the 90s-ness.
    - Michael Jordan
    - a rave!
    Also some serious 90's hair styles

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Oh my god, the Nic Pizzolatto bartender cameo is even better now that I just realized Woody says "Why do you make me say this shit?" to him. Meta as fuck.

Bubby on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

- Michael Jordan
    - a rave!
    Oh god the best part of the cell phone: When he's explaining how to use it to marty "GREEN BUTTON IS ANSWER RED IS HANGUP" I thought he was making fun of him then I realized it is most probable this is the first time marty has used a cell phone and I'm like NINETIESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I though it was a satellite phone or some shit for a minute, and I was like why the fuck do they need that?

Then....oh.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Re: the long take
    it felt EXACTLY like children of men to me. The same exact tension and pacing sneaking through a firefight. I couldn't identify it until someone said it in this thread.

Really hammers home the tension of an unbroken take and how it affects us even if we don't really know anything about film. I could barely watch but I couldn't look away.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Jesus Hubbard Christ, that long take.
    Edge of my seat for six minutes straight. I reacted much the same way to that long take from Children of Men - it's incredibly immersive with a really well-done long take that moves around a lot like this one and the one in CoM.

I do think one interesting thing is that I hard time feeling the episode was as "awesome" as I thought now that I had a night to sleep on it.

Their weird caper/escape was so enthralling at the time, but now that I have a moment to place it in context of the show, i don't think I can rightfully think Cohle is a badass or the man or something.

He essentially sets off an entire gang shootout in exchange for information about one murderer. Many many people probably died that night. The situation deepends the hostility and distrust that this rural southern community has for the police. He isn't endearing or charming and he has no problem killing when things get touch.

I am NOT commenting on the validity, tone or artistry in the episode. It was an impeccable episode of True Detective.

But since the show has been up to this point so painfully grounded in serious reality that in retrospect I feel weird about how much I liked it and conflicted within the narrative as to how much I trust Cohle anymore. A loose cannon in a vacuum is awesome, a loose cannon in a real scenario is scary and unpredictable.

Cohle is not a pure and noble agent of justice by any means, no, but he was actively trying to avoid setting off a larger conflict for (presumably) both moral and pragmatic reasons

Cohle is not a pure and noble agent of justice by any means, no, but he was actively trying to avoid setting off a larger conflict for (presumably) both moral and pragmatic reasons

Well, no, of course not. I'm not making the argument that Cohle is bad, just that this is a point for me where I stopped and went "man this is a fun cop show, but the way this show has treated the gravity of reality, it makes me really feel uncomfortable how far cohle is willing to go to solve this case."

I also feel like a good indicator of how good and dense this episode was is the fact that we've been omg and wtfing since last night but I don't see a single person talking about
    Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I do think one interesting thing is that I hard time feeling the episode was as "awesome" as I thought now that I had a night to sleep on it.

Their weird caper/escape was so enthralling at the time, but now that I have a moment to place it in context of the show, i don't think I can rightfully think Cohle is a badass or the man or something.

He essentially sets off an entire gang shootout in exchange for information about one murderer. Many many people probably died that night. The situation deepends the hostility and distrust that this rural southern community has for the police. He isn't endearing or charming and he has no problem killing when things get touch.

I am NOT commenting on the validity, tone or artistry in the episode. It was an impeccable episode of True Detective.

But since the show has been up to this point so painfully grounded in serious reality that in retrospect I feel weird about how much I liked it and conflicted within the narrative as to how much I trust Cohle anymore. A loose cannon in a vacuum is awesome, a loose cannon in a real scenario is scary and unpredictable.

The bikers were going to attack the drug stash and cause all that chaos anyway. All he did to affect that situation was save Ginger's life.

Also, honestly, if a gang of bikers attacks a group of drug dealers and one or both sides get destroy each other I don't really care. If the drug dealers then react to the police response by rushing out with their guns and get shot... again, these are dangerous criminals running outside with their lethal weapons intending to kill people. Cohle made an effort to get the kid he found safe, and everyone else in that situation was there by their own, terrible, choices.

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

The bikers were going to attack the drug stash and cause all that chaos anyway. All he did to affect that situation was save Ginger's life.

Also, honestly, if a gang of bikers attacks a group of drug dealers and one or both sides get destroy each other I don't really care. If the drug dealers then react to the police response by rushing out with their guns and get shot... again, these are dangerous criminals running outside with their lethal weapons intending to kill people. Cohle made an effort to get the kid he found safe, and everyone else in that situation was there by their own, terrible, choices.

Also despite being armed, Cohle, while whacked the fuck out on drugs no less, uses nonlethal force the entire time. Only guy that dies as a direct result of his action was the one where he knocked a pistol aimed at him away and it happened to go off while aimed at one of the drug dealers. The rest was all throat punches and pistol whips etc. Concerted effort on his part to not kill people, and not just with regard to his witness. Tried to make the best of a shit situation.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    I also feel like a good indicator of how good and dense this episode was is the fact that we've been omg and wtfing since last night but I don't see a single person talking about
    Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

yeah I didn't expect that this early
    can't you spot crazy pussy?

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    honestly i feel like a lot of his decisions about not using lethal force were motivated by the need to remain stealthy and avoid attracting attention; there wasn't much (if any) gunfire going at that point, if i recall? he didn't want people spilling out of nearby houses with AKs and SMGs

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

Him
    not having a wedding ring in 2012
    kin of gave it away for me

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    honestly i feel like a lot of his decisions about not using lethal force were motivated by the need to remain stealthy and avoid attracting attention; there wasn't much (if any) gunfire going at that point, if i recall? he didn't want people spilling out of nearby houses with AKs and SMGs

I suppose there was a lot of that too, true

r4zgei8pcfod.gif

The way I look at it Cohle participated in a massive shootout where we see a lot of civilians in houses with bullets whizzing by. I'm not saying Cohle is some bankrupt scumbag, but I don't think I'm ready to shrug away his ready involvement in a massacre because "there were lots of shitty criminals." To me it's a betrayal of the seriousness of the show to look at a setpiece like that and all of the sudden start to look at the show through a lens of a traditional copshow where everyone other than the hero is a meatbag.

Again, this is not an issue I have with the show, I'm just pointing out an interesting ethical quandry the show seems to have thrown at us. The exact same way I felt when we see Marty cheating on Maggie.

edited February 2014
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

Him
    not having a wedding ring in 2012
    kin of gave it away for me

Well yeah, I don't think necessarily it's a surprise like it was some kind of twist. But it's obviously going to be a large part of the characterization and I was assuming the eventual breakdown was going to come much later, not long before the case even gets that hot.

stevemarks44 on
    Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

This is another good example of why neither of the protagonists are particularly good men; they dispense casual misogyny and wreck lives and put other people in danger

We root for them because they keep worse men from the door, and we have a creeping sense of dread about how bad, exactly, these worse men might be

Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

This is another good example of why neither of the protagonists are particularly good men; they dispense casual misogyny and wreck lives and put other people in danger

We root for them because they keep worse men from the door, and we have a creeping sense of dread about how bad, exactly, these worse men might be

I can't agree with this hard enough.

Sorry True Detective thread, I'm being a bit more hostile than I'd intended this morning. Not trying to be combative.

I guess EM is saying it much more concisely than I could. I don't have an issue with any of these goings on, but I just think they are incredibly interesting as they've really colored my view of the characters in an engaging and challenging way.

The way I look at it Cohle participated in a massive shootout where we see a lot of civilians in houses with bullets whizzing by. I'm not saying Cohle is some bankrupt scumbag, but I don't think I'm ready to shrug away his ready involvement in a massacre because "there were lots of shitty criminals." To me it's a betrayal of the seriousness of the show to look at a setpiece like that and all of the sudden start to look at the show through a lens of a traditional copshow where everyone other than the hero is a meatbag.

Again, this is not an issue I have with the show, I'm just pointing out an interesting ethical quandry the show seems to have thrown at us. The exact same way I felt when we see Marty cheating on Maggie.

This doesn't quite make sense. He didn't participate in a massive shootout, nor did he cause it. It would have happened either way. He avoided killing people, tried to dissuade the other participants from instigating the violence, and tried to escape with his target.

You could suggest that the clean approach would be to decline the invite, get out of the area, and report the impending heist so it can be quashed before any violence happens, but I'm not sure he'd have been able to decline that invitation. He was kind of voluntold.

What makes him a less than clean cop is the fact that he was brutally violent with his contact, willing to participate in a criminal operation without sanction as a legitimate undercover operative, willing to do a whole lot of drugs as cover, etc. And all of this was done outside his official capacity as a police detective.

nah RE: Cohle's culpability, it's really clear these guys were going to do this anyway and he didn't have a real way to stop them. All he could do is focus on getting what he needed out of it.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    I came away from the episode feeling like we'd seen a lot more of Cohle's darker side than we ever have before, but yeah, it wasn't because of the shootout that he didn't want to be in.
    It began with his act of cruelty toward Charlie Lange and the way he casually waves off Marty's moment of genuine remorse about that, grew as we see his own misogyny coming out, and maxed out as it became claer how many personal and professional lines he's willing to cross to accomplish his goal, including lying to Marty and stealing evidence.

I always had a feeling this show was going to be a lot more complicated than "self-satisfied conservative hypocrite just doesn't know how to deal with his driven new partner who speaks uncomfortable truths." I think that the next episode or two is going to show us that Marty is a lot more than just Rust's foil.

rRwz9.gif
    I came away from the episode feeling like we'd seen a lot more of Cohle's darker side than we ever have before, but yeah, it wasn't because of the shootout that he didn't want to be in.
    It began with his act of cruelty toward Charlie Lange and the way he casually waves off Marty's moment of genuine remorse about that, grew as we see his own misogyny coming out, and maxed out as it became claer how many personal and professional lines he's willing to cross to accomplish his goal, including lying to Marty and stealing evidence.

I always had a feeling this show was going to be a lot more complicated than "self-satisfied conservative hypocrite just doesn't know how to deal with his driven new partner who speaks uncomfortable truths." I think that the next episode or two is going to show us that Marty is a lot more than just Rust's foil.

yeah that initial aspect of the show is where the little bit of comedy it's had comes from and I've liked it

but we're headed down the rabbit hole now, I think we're gonna see dynamics shift a bit like tectonic plates

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i dont think u were ever meant to imagine cohle as a stand-in for audience or authorial voice. he is somebody who most non-conservatives would be equally uncomfortable with - but u get that awkward moment where he says things in service of rubbishing something we already disagree with in a terrible way.

he was always clearly not a "good" person - what truth he spoke was depressive realism, and frequently tinged with a vicious note

obF2Wuw.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

Dude deserved it anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I really like the score too - it feels like a really ominous take on the Portal 2 soundtrack.

i dont think u were ever meant to imagine cohle as a stand-in for audience or authorial voice. he is somebody who most non-conservatives would be equally uncomfortable with - but u get that awkward moment where he says things in service of rubbishing something we already disagree with in a terrible way.

he was always clearly not a "good" person - what truth he spoke was depressive realism, and frequently tinged with a vicious note

yes, it's not just that his post-traumatic depression leaves him extremely nihilistic (though not totally, since you can see he still acts with a moral drive); he actually enjoys tearing down other people's world view, if he can. he enjoys being that unsettling element.

it's sort of juvenile, actually.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Can we not put quotes from the newest ep in the thread title immediately after the it airs? That'd be great.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    holy fucking shit fuck that was the best hour of tv i've seen in a long fucking time.

Deaderinred on
    edited February 2014
    i feel sorry for those two cops in 2012
    they have no idea whatsoever awesome that was.

Deaderinred on
    edited February 2014
    Maggie leaving Hart

OMGWTF!

i love how they did that.
    they didn't waste time or anything, i seriously thought it was gonna get dragged out until a later episode or something and then its wam bam and just the right amount of time focusing on it.

also i missed this in whatever episode it was in but during the previously segment...
    they point out the two 2012 cops asking hart if he thought cohle was steering in the case for his own ends (or something to that effect) like they already suspect him of being the killer.

Deaderinred on