As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Detective] CURRENT EPISODE SPOILERS UNMARKED!

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Did we discuss what ammo was in the shotgun?

It was a little silly to say "the kind police use" when you can buy rubber buckshot online, yes.

I thought that was a suggestion that it might have been an inside job?

The bruising is all wrong and it pulled me out of the moment.

And sending a message by not killing someone seems ass backwards.

Nonlethal shooting of a cop maybe scares the small task force that's working the murder you don't want to be solved, maybe it hurts their motivation to keep investigating.

Killing a cop brings down tons of investigative heat to the case, and that's the opposite of what you want.

In this case it just makes Velcoro raging bull.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I liked the Twin Peaks style at the beginning of the episode. It had the feel, but it wasn't so absurd that it was out of place

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I liked this episode a lot. It helps that they're mostly done with the setup, so they can just let the characters play. Everything worked except for Kitsch, whose plotline this week felt like a very long game of "go here, do this, go somewhere else." I mean, those scenes accomplished little except hammering down shell shock and sexual identity issues- both of which were covered before in better scenes.

I like the way they showed Vaughn trying to get around the problem rather than just angst about it. "What a way to greet the world" was a great line. However, the ending closeup went on way too long. It started off a broken, closed off man struggling to speak to his wife, and ended up as Vince Vaughn making faces.

As for the speculation on the case:
    They absolutely have a mole, and they are definitely being followed. My bet would be the fat detective who only showed up spying on Kitsch. Note that he is the only detective on the case who hasn't had a POV scene or added anything to the investigation.

I also think the mayor's son is involved. The way the mayor described him does not lineup with what we saw, and added to the line about playing roles, makes me think there's more going on than "worthless politician's worthless son." Maybe he's the shooter?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I feel like I'm pretty bad at TV analysis but the main characters seemed more alive and real to me in this third episode than they have in the previous two. Velcoro in particular toned himself down from the almost comically over the top corrupt and abusive copdad that we've been shown so far, although that's likely due to him trying to contain his physical pain for the entire third episode.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    yeah the more twin peaks-isms the better, i'd say

i'm getting obvious chinatown vibes from this season, but the reason chinatown works is because we have a charismatic protagonist to add some levity to the evil and depravity of his world. we're not getting that from true detectives, so a little pynchon/lynch paranoid bizarria helps us question the forces at play and wonder if there is something deeper than "man, humans can be evil"

because, at the end of the day, "humans can be evil and maybe everyone is evil!" is overplayed and boring

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    I've been catching this ever since Season 1 made me a fan. Just for me, "True Detective" is about people who are halfway burnt-out and combating their own demons, while trying to capture other demons out there. For Season 1 the Louisiana bayou certainly carried a sense of dread, but the focus of the show was on two very flawed main characters.

For Season 2, McAdams is overacting, Kitsch is underacting, and Colin Farrell is really channeling his inner demons and carrying the show.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    is the theme song changing each week?

Also- I think McAdams is fine- the character is that way... the character over compensates... maybe thats why you see overacting? I dunno.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Yeah, seems to be a slightly different edit of the song each time.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Yeah, seems to be a slightly different edit of the song each time.

freaky!

We will have to go back and see if it parallels the story in some way....

"that is a terrible way to greet the world" Was the best.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    the change is only in the back half of the intro, a new set of lyrics each week it seems. its fucking awesome.

loving this season so far, haven't read the thread yet but i hope it's mutual.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I continue to dislike Kitsch's character. Secret gay shame is so 1990.

Vaughn's wife, however, is solidly great. She had me at 'Lady Macbeth.'

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

the problem is that secret gay shame is still totally relevant in terms of realism, especially in military/law enforcement contexts

it is not super exciting or relevant in terms of drama though

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Colin is by far the best thing about this season

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

the problem is that secret gay shame is still totally relevant in terms of realism, especially in military/law enforcement contexts

it is not super exciting or relevant in terms of drama though

I think a sole PTSD plot would have been better. I don't think Kitch does a bad job with the character, it's more a problem with the dialogue. The whole exchange with his military buddy had me cringing.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Liked the episode. Disliked the one director decision to have Farrell tell Vaughn what happened to him "off screen" with a cut? Not sure how to describe it, but he obviously is going to tell him then it fast forwards to waitress putting down glass and the conversation happened. I guess they don't want to repeat a conversation, but having a conversation and telling it differently to different people is a subtle vehicle for character/plot development.

People asking about season... it sort of feels like how season 2 of The Wire aired (even though I was completely fine with it, it was a definite theme shift). The difference I guess is True Detective probably isn't going back to Louisiana with Rust Cohle in season 3 unless this season gets really, really worse and they want to re-jump start the franchise ... :)

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

yeah ... i'm hoping it's not just gay shame and more "previous sexual abuse + military repression = identity confusion"

with the constant sight of circuit party people swirling strangely about him, it seems like it's more an issue of exploring your desires vs bottling them up as opposed to simply gay/straight

because if it is going to end up being gay/straight they aren't just doing it on the nose, they're collapsing in our god damn sinus cavities

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Podly wrote: »

yeah ... i'm hoping it's not just gay shame and more "previous sexual abuse + military repression = identity confusion"

with the constant sight of circuit party people swirling strangely about him, it seems like it's more an issue of exploring your desires vs bottling them up as opposed to simply gay/straight

because if it is going to end up being gay/straight they aren't just doing it on the nose, they're collapsing in our god damn sinus cavities

There is too much shit at play for it to be just that.

Sexual abuse + PTSD + sexual identity crisis...

Of all the characters on the show, I feel like his is the one with the most potential to surprise us. There is just so much baggage on this dude that his eventual breakdown needs to be legendary. All of his wooden acting might just be him trying his best not to let the rage demon out.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

There is too much shit at play for it to be just that.

Sexual abuse + PTSD + sexual identity crisis...

Of all the characters on the show, I feel like his is the one with the most potential to surprise us. There is just so much baggage on this dude that his eventual breakdown needs to be legendary. All of his wooden acting might just be him trying his best not to let the rage demon out.

And he had a small rage moment already with this last episode. He caught himself but I feel there will be a big moment which breaks him.

There may be a body or two afterwards. One may be his.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    It will turn out that Woodrugh was the killer all along! And then David Caruso walks into the frame.

"Looks like that young man just couldn't...

8-)

Kitsch a break."

And then McAdams stabs Caruso in the throat and Colin Farrell dies of alcohol poisoning. Fin.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I fully expect Kitsch to die, 50/50 on Vaughn. Farrell and McAdams live.

Butcher on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuck

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I don't even.

I mean, not the single take scene of last season, but holy fucking shit fuck fuck fuck

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Thoughts on where this season might go
    So. We're at the halfway point, having "solved" the murder (at least as far as the bosses are concerned) one episode before the first season did. But there's still a lot of unanswered questions, and a true detective doesn't just accept the narrative that is handed to them. They keep digging. Obviously the weirdo shrink is involved, as is the mayor or members of his family. I have a suspicion that the raid was a setup to get the 3 stars killed, either arranged by the slimy mayor or that stone faced Vinci police chief for reasons unknown.

Edit: on something Woodrugh said this episode
    "I did what they said" out of context some viewers might take this as an admission of guilt in the sexual misconduct allegations with the actress. But in context, it's clear he's talking about his time in the military, and with Black Mountain, and as a cop. He did what he was told.

knitdan on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Man this episode was really dry for me, until that last scene happened. I agree that it wasn't as good as the "no cut" Cohle scene from last season, but that was intense.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Which scene was that, from last season?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    The scene in the projects at the end of "Who Goes There?"

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    That's fucking impressive.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    Until the raid that was a really shitty episode. Also yes it felt like they wanted to go for the same explosive finish as ep 4 of s1, only without the genius craft involved. Didn't really have to be a single take but hardly anything about that shootout felt more than serviceable to me.

• Options
    That's a lot of paper work that's gonna need to get filled out

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I have a suspicion that the raid was a setup to get the 3 stars killed, either arranged by the slimy mayor or that stone faced Vinci police chief for reasons unknown.
    So, I agree. It seems like it was set-up for that pimp to get his hands on Caspers stuff specifically to pawn, knowing he is a dangerous person. And then he got tipped off to the raid.

Obviously there is the possibility of a dark psychological reason, but I'm just wondering why he would just unload his two micro-smg's into a bus, in the middle of a firefight with the cops. We'll see I suppose. Or not.

Side note: Dixon dying at the start seems surprisingly bad to getting to the bottom of the corruption. After this incident he would have no choice but to give up his "CI" which revealed the pimps location. Now that hes dead that is just another potential roadblock to run into

• Options
    I was under the impression that those are the mexican gang that had been dealing the drugs to the vampire grill dude, meaning that it'll be much easier for the turks (or albanians or whatever generic mob ethnicity) to do business

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Well, that was a shit show.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    That was a lot of civilian casualty. Getting tired of Frank's vocabulary during these shakedown scenes. Woodrugh's proposal of convenience was horrible to watch.

Velcoro's poor kid. My dad is an asshole but I still want to look up to him. "You're leaving?"

joshgotro on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    That's a lot of paper work that's gonna need to get filled out

Yeah, I figured that's why they looked so utterly broken at the end.

So much paperwork.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    My only* gripe about the episode was that apparently somehow the three main characters are the only cops not shot in the face? Guess the department needs to start issuing out plot armor before raids.

* - I tend to repress all the Tim Riggins scenes. Then I wake up the next morning wondering what I've done and feeling deeply ashamed.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I still like this season, but I think I can safely say there's no way it bridges the gap and gets on the level of season 1. And I think there are two reasons:

1) Fukunaga was a big part of season 1's magic. His sweeping shots of the Louisiana bayou were amazing and atmospheric. They're trying to recapture it this season with overhead shots of the California highway system and it feels like loading screens for the next scene. With him at the helm, that last shootout scene could've had the magic of S1E4's amazing single shot scene. Or a Michael Mann-esque Heat style shootout. Instead it was just okay, not poorly done but not memorable.

2) Pizzolatto writes some really difficult dialogue to pull off. I don't want to say outright bad because in the right hands(McConaughey and Harrelson) the lines worked perfectly. But in the hands of lesser but still okay actors like Vaughn and McAdams, some of these lines just make my eyes roll hard because they just can't pull them off without them sounding pretty terrible.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Half of Vaughn's dialogue feels like it would be better spoken by someone like William B. Davis, or David Warner.

I like the series, but it doesn't have nearly any of the foreboding nature of the first season.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    The worst part about season 2 for me has been everyone comparing it mercilessly, and constantly, with season 1.
    Rhah wrote: »
    People asking about season... it sort of feels like how season 2 of The Wire aired (even though I was completely fine with it, it was a definite theme shift). The difference I guess is True Detective probably isn't going back to Louisiana with Rust Cohle in season 3 unless this season gets really, really worse and they want to re-jump start the franchise ... :)

Man I loved season 2 of the wire... I mean, I watched the series after everything was finished and on a DVD collection, but I loved that dock worker shit. I guess I understand why people in the moment would want to get back to stringer bell and the crew, but season 2 is definitely a contender for my favorite.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Of course the show will be compared to season 1. It's an anthology show, which means it'll be compared even MORE than a regular show with multiple seasons. Why? Because we didn't need to compare Breaking Bad season 3 to season 2 that much. We loved the show, we knew what we were getting, so even if one season was maybe a little worse than another, we were still bought in.

With a show like this, every season HBO and Pizzolatto have to give us something that stands on its own. There can be no "I liked season 1 a lot so I'll tune back in to see those characters." If we don't love season 2, we'll stop watching it and we won't feel like we're giving up on Cohle and Hart, etc.

I like season 2 still, but I think it's completely fair and understandable that people are comparing it to season 1, especially as long as they're still willing to give season 2 a fair shake. After all, s1 didn't peak until episodes 4-6, and we just go e4 of this season, and the end of it did set up some serious fallout.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I still like this season, but I think I can safely say there's no way it bridges the gap and gets on the level of season 1. And I think there are two reasons:

1) Fukunaga was a big part of season 1's magic. His sweeping shots of the Louisiana bayou were amazing and atmospheric. They're trying to recapture it this season with overhead shots of the California highway system and it feels like loading screens for the next scene. With him at the helm, that last shootout scene could've had the magic of S1E4's amazing single shot scene. Or a Michael Mann-esque Heat style shootout. Instead it was just okay, not poorly done but not memorable.

2) Pizzolatto writes some really difficult dialogue to pull off. I don't want to say outright bad because in the right hands(McConaughey and Harrelson) the lines worked perfectly. But in the hands of lesser but still okay actors like Vaughn and McAdams, some of these lines just make my eyes roll hard because they just can't pull them off without them sounding pretty terrible.

I haven't had an issue with any of McAadams dialogue, I think she is pretty great in the show, but Vaughn just isn't doing it for me. He doesn't come off menacing at all, and I don't buy that anybody should be scared of him. Maybe that's intentional, since he's been out of the crime game for a while and just doesn't have it anymore? I just find most of his scenes pretty boring.

Colin Farrell is stealing the show for sure though, and I wish he had a bit more screentime and dialogue.