As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's that time of the year again! [2013 Tax Thread]

• localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    In the past I've gotten Form 5498 that shows my Roth contributions. Like Djeet said you don't need to do anything with it this year, but it wouldn't hurt to save it.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    At the ripe age of 24 I will be filing my taxes this year. Barely made 10k this year.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Note that you can do them for free online Grunt. Just go to the irs site and look for the free file partner list. You might even be able to do your state taxes as well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Its only my W2s since I didnt give to charity, buy a new car, get married, ect.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    At the ripe age of 24 I will be filing my taxes this year. Barely made 10k this year.
    Earned income credit will be kind to you, expect all your money back, you might even get a lil more back than you paid. Enjoy.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

Get that withholdin' back and file dat shit

Phyphor wrote: »
    What are the forms to file for foreign accounts? I think I remember there were two, one irs and one treasury or something?

The FBAR is e-file this year. It's a new form called FinCEN Form 114.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Report-of-Foreign-Bank-and-Financial-Accounts-FBAR

zepherin wrote: »
    Earned income credit will be kind to you, expect all your money back, you might even get a lil more back than you paid. Enjoy.

The benifits of working minimal wage.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also make sure you have your 1098-E if you went to school and have paid interest on student loans grunt.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    Also make sure you have your 1098-E if you went to school and have paid interest on student loans grunt.

I didnt do school. Im thinking about it but I got to get some things straight first. Like fixing my computer, getting internet that isnt a phone tether, ect.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    relatively simple taxes this year for me... haven't owned the house long enough for those deductions to actually take effect

however, this is the first year where I've had substantial financial contribution from my significant other (unmarried) for things like rent and utilities

should this be factored into taxes at all? The total amount exceeds ten thousand.

Jasconius wrote: »
    relatively simple taxes this year for me... haven't owned the house long enough for those deductions to actually take effect

however, this is the first year where I've had substantial financial contribution from my significant other (unmarried) for things like rent and utilities

should this be factored into taxes at all? The total amount exceeds ten thousand.

Nope those aren't payments "to you." They're there to cover living costs for that person and aren't income earned.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

Nope those aren't payments "to you." They're there to cover living costs for that person and aren't income earned.

Even if she writes the checks to me first and then I pay the bills? Because that's pretty much how it works

It gets really weird, really fast when you sublet, but if you're both on the lease or share the area, in general no you don't. I think schedule E is where you put that stuff if you want to look it over and see if it applies to you.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

Pick one of the ones from the list (I'd recommend Turbotax or H&R Block Online...some of the others seem a bit weird) and do it. If you just have the W-2, it'll take about 20 minutes and you'll get all your money back in February when they submit it.

a5ehren on
    Turbotax for sure if you don't have state taxes.

edited January 2014
    It gets really weird, really fast when you sublet, but if you're both on the lease or share the area, in general no you don't. I think schedule E is where you put that stuff if you want to look it over and see if it applies to you.

Yeah, I mean technically you could be considered to be renting half of your space to her, which would go on a Schedule E. But unless you really wanted to take a loss to offset some other income (a lot of rentals end in a loss after you factor in depreciation), I would ignore it. You're basically just splitting the costs, so I would have no problem not reporting the income.

localh77 on
    Shared expenses, that's the term I was looking for.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Hello tax advice thread!

I too (along with my girlfriend of many years) purchased a house this year (in late August). We've received our 1098 and have determined that we can split these numbers between us as we're splitting the mortgage between us. I have some questions though.

There are no points listed on the 1098 (this was mentioned last page). I haven't looked at my HUD documents from the closing yet but I know we paid 3% down and also paid several thousand dollars in closing fees for various things (technically, the sellers gave us 3k towards closing fees as part of the offer/counteroffer process.) Is some or all of that money deductable? I am grinding through my taxes online today, I just haven't gotten to these deductions yet.

The sellers also paid 8 month's worth of taxes into the escrow account, but our 1098 shows the full amount of real estate taxes paid for the year. What is the story with claiming these taxes paid as a deduction? Should we only claim 4 month's worth of taxes paid?

I would run the numbers both ways, but I'd suggest that only one of you take the mortgage related deductions (ideally the person whose SSN is on the documents). That one one of you can take the $6k standard deduction, and the other one gets all the interest and taxes. For example, if your mortgage interest + taxes = $15k, you could either take $7.5k each, or one person can take $6k and the other gets $15k.

The points are certainly deductible, although there's a long list of requirements for making it fully deductible the first year, as opposed to spreading it out over something like 15 years. The main requirement I can remember is that you had to have put down at least that much cash.

Most of the closing costs aren't deductible unfortunately. Generally only prepaid interest and points. As for the property taxes, yeah, you're only supposed to take 4 months' worth, even if the 1098 lists all 12.

I actually just noticed that you said you bought it in late August, so it may be moot this year. Unless you have a really big mortgage, or a lot of charitable contributions or something, you might not even get/want to itemize.

If you don't, don't forget to carry the points forward to future years, as opposed to wasting them the first year.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Well, with splitting the deductible stuff, for me the itemized deduction comes out to slightly less than the standard deduction, but I haven't figured out the points stuff from my HUD-1 statement yet. If I claimed all the deductible stuff instead of splitting it, it'd be at least a little larger. But it seems disingenuous to not split the interest/taxes when we're splitting the paying for them.

What do you mean about carrying the points forward?

From our HUD-1, line 801 (origination charge) is X dollars. Line 802 (credit points for specific interest rate chosen) is negative Y dollars. Line 803 (adjusted origination charge) is Z dollars, which is $780 or so. Is this $780 our "points" paid towards our mortgage (and thusly, that which is deductible)? Seems like such a small number compared to the money being thrown around at closing/down payment.

Yeah, I mean it's obviously up to you, but I personally wouldn't worry about being disingenuous. In my mind, either it's against the rules or it isn't. Admittedly, I'm not really doing any research here (I'm so busy this time of year that I can almost promise that I won't be doing research for these answers), but I don't think it would be against the rules to have one person take it all. I think a reasonable argument would be that your girlfried was gifting you her half, and you spent it on the mortgage. To be safe, in future years you could just literally pay it all, and have her buy food/utilties/whatever.

As for carrying forward, like I was saying you can either deduct the points entirely the first year if you meet these tests (http://www.irs.gov/publications/p936/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000229944), or else you spread it out over 15 years. So the first year you'd take 1/15 (actually only 4 or 5 twelfths of 1/15, so like twenty bucks, since you bought mid-year). And then the next year you'd take another 1/15, and so on. So if for whatever reason you don't take it all the first year, don't forget to carry the remaining 14/15 to next year.

But yeah, you're right that it's only $780. Spreading that out is going to be worth almost nothing every year, but hey, it doesn't hurt. I know it does seem pretty weird to pay so much, and only get a nominal amount of deductions. Most of the stuff you don't take this year gets included in the basis of your home, so not technically lost. But with the $250k/$500k exclusion for selling your primary residence, it often doesn't even matter. By the way, don't forget to look in box 901 on the HUD, and include that with your interest, if it's not on the 1098 already (it might not be).

And I lied, I did read that page I linked. Apparently you spread points over the life of the loan, not necessarily 15 years. So if you got a 30 year mortgage, it's going to help even less each year.

edited January 2014
    You can gift up to $14,000 per person this year so yeah I'd say it was her gift to him. Also I bet he can claim her as a dependent

tyrannus on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Stupid question, but does Kickstarter matter for taxes in any way? I live in Illinois, which means I technically need to self-report my online purchases, and the biggest ones I made were a few hundred dollars to Kickstarter (And some board game supplies).

I just don't want to get caught with my pants down.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I certainly wouldn't do anything with the donations themselves. I suppose theoretically you should pay sales/use tax on the value of the products you receive. But I doubt many people do that.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2014
    So this year I worked three jobs, with my newest one starting in December. I'm wondering if I should just go see someone to figure out my taxes, but I don't really know how to start or how much it would cost?

Here are the basics of what happened:
    January-July: Worked in Maryland, Got a W-2 for that
    August-November: Moved to Texas and worked a relatively similar job, have a W-2 for that.
    December: Started a new job where my checks are now coming from Canada and I am an Independent Contractor (Still in Texas, working from home). Haven't done anything about this yet.

I know with the new job I'll be paying my own taxes and I think I need a 1099? I feel like it may be worth it to sit down with someone so they can tell me how to do all this, and I can make sure that I am setting enough money aside. Any advice?

Iruka on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Athenor wrote: »
    Stupid question, but does Kickstarter matter for taxes in any way? I live in Illinois, which means I technically need to self-report my online purchases, and the biggest ones I made were a few hundred dollars to Kickstarter (And some board game supplies).

If anyone actually knows the answer to this, I'm curious (from a pure intellectual perspective) whether the IRS actually has come down on this one way or another... i.e. if you donate $100 to a project, and the $100 donation reward is a board game 'valued' at $30, you could alternatively argue that it was pre-ordering a $30 item and a $70 donation, or alternatively that $100 was the current sale price of that item when you purchased it through the rewards system.

Of course, none of this really matters, because unless your state is really looking for some reason to specifically go after you personally, I don't know of anyone that actually fully follows those self-reporting laws. (Which is why I'm generally in favor of having Amazon/etc just collect sales taxes anyway, since it removes this grey area of 90% of people technically cheating on their state taxes).

To add a real question - does anyone know which online free tax software allow you to add scholarship income easily? I've basically had to do my own paper taxes for the last 6 years because I've been paid either as a graduate student (with 1098-T instead of W2's) or a postdoc fellow (I don't even think I'm getting any paperwork whatsoever that reports my income over the past 6 months when I transitioned to a fellowship). The official IRS information, as far as I can tell, is to write "SCH" on the income line (where your W2 income generally goes), and then include that scholarship income in your total income, but I've had horrible luck getting free tax preparation software that can handle this (which is a shame, since my taxes otherwise are dead simple).

Gdiguy on
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    If I had two jobs last year that both used ADP for handling the checks and W-2s do you think ADP might combine my income from those jobs into one W-2? The second job was very part time at a halloween store, I earned just over $1,000, while the first job, a warehouse job, was full time and I was there from before January until August.
    I've got the W-2s for my new current job and the warehouse.
    Due to the temporary nature of that store we didn't actually receive pay stubs, we were instructed to go to the ADP website to find that info. So I'm looking at the site now, and there's all my information for the Warehouse job! That confused me for minute, but I guess the warehouse used ADP as well. The problem is that I don't see a W-2 for the halloween job on the site. My pay stubs are there, and for the warehouse job as well, but the yearly summary only lists the warehouse.
    I think maybe I have a number to call for the halloween store company, so I'll have to try and get in touch with them I suppose.

Its weird going to the ADP site and seeing pay stubs and W-2s from years ago. I had no idea that information was on a website somewhere. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    No they won't combine it into one W-2. That's not how they work.

edited January 2014
    Iruka wrote: »
    So this year I worked three jobs, with my newest one starting in December. I'm wondering if I should just go see someone to figure out my taxes, but I don't really know how to start or how much it would cost?

August-November: Moved to Texas and worked a relatively similar job, have a W-2 for that.
    December: Started a new job where my checks are now coming from Canada and I am an Independent Contractor (Still in Texas, working from home). Haven't done anything about this yet.

I know with the new job I'll be paying my own taxes and I think I need a 1099? I feel like it may be worth it to sit down with someone so they can tell me how to do all this, and I can make sure that I am setting enough money aside. Any advice?

You will have to file in Maryland the crap they took from your W-2 back. Texas doesn't have an income tax so whatever.

As an independent contractor, you'll be getting a 1099 for the total amount of cash payments you got through December, but you may not yet because companies are lazy as shit. It's supposed to be out by Feb. You can put this 1099 income as business income and offset expenses against it, such as paint and easels and meals and entertainment with clients and stuff. Generally though think 30% of every check you get will be going to taxes.

tyrannus on
    edited January 2014
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

If anyone actually knows the answer to this, I'm curious (from a pure intellectual perspective) whether the IRS actually has come down on this one way or another... i.e. if you donate $100 to a project, and the $100 donation reward is a board game 'valued' at $30, you could alternatively argue that it was pre-ordering a $30 item and a $70 donation, or alternatively that $100 was the current sale price of that item when you purchased it through the rewards system.

Well, I don't think the IRS is going to care about this from the donor's perspective. The only thing I can think of mattering to the donor is sales tax (technically it's called "use tax" if you're paying it on something you got from another state and didn't pay sales tax on). And since that's the state thing, I don't think the IRS can bother caring. Whether or not any of it is a donation doesn't matter to the IRS, because you can only deduct donations to bonafied non-profits (i.e., 501(c)(3)).

But I could see them being much more interested in making sure that the donee reports all the necessary income. Which is going to be easier to do anyway, given that you have hundreds/thousands of people donating to a single person. The donee could try arguing that some/all of it was a gift, which you wouldn't pay tax on, vs. income, which you would.

Does Kickstarter have the option to deny the reward, if all you want to do is help the project? If so, it would be easy to argue that was a donation. Whereas if someone gives $100 at gets something "valued" at $30, it seems like the IRS would say that entire $100 is income.

I agree, I'd be curious to know what the they think. From this, it sounds like Kickstarter is saying it should be income: https://www.kickstarter.com/help/taxes.

localh77 on
    edited January 2014
    tyrannus wrote: »

You will have to file in Maryland the crap they took from your W-2 back. Texas doesn't have an income tax so whatever.

As an independent contractor, you'll be getting a 1099 for the total amount of cash payments you got through December, but you may not yet because companies are lazy as shit. It's supposed to be out by Feb. You can put this 1099 income as business income and offset expenses against it, such as paint and easels and meals and entertainment with clients and stuff. Generally though think 30% of every check you get will be going to taxes.

Yeah, I would certainly plan to set aside at least 30 or 40% of all your income for taxes. And then ideally pay it in quarterly (Form 1040-ES) so that you're not tempted to spend it. It could be a smaller percentage if you have a lot of expenses, but in general, people rarely estimate too high, usually they guess too low. You could certainly sit down with someone if you wanted. Although if you're in a service business (i.e., you're not selling stuff, just your time), it shouldn't be any more complicated than looking through a Schedule C and seeing which of those expenses apply. If you're going to be making enough from this going forward (maybe $50k+/year), you'd want to consider forming an S-Corp, in which case you'd definitely want to sit down with someone.

And just a heads up that if your employer is in Canada, I doubt they're going to send you a 1099 (this year, or any year). If it's similar to the reverse situation (US company paying a Canadian contractor), you won't get anything. So you'll just have to keep track of what you make.

localh77 on
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    You must pay estimated taxes to the IRS every quarter.
    In fact, you were required to pay estimated taxes before Dec 31, 2013, for the money you made that December.
    Basically, if you underpay the IRS by more than $1000 during the year, you will be assessed an additional penalty.

iTNdmYl.png
    edited January 2014
    hsu wrote: »
    You must pay estimated taxes to the IRS every quarter.
    In fact, you were required to pay estimated taxes before Dec 31, 2013, for the money you made that December.
    Basically, if you underpay the IRS by more than $1000 during the year, you will be assessed an additional penalty.

That's the gist of it, but we have plenty of clients that don't pay quarterly. The penalty is pretty small, especially compared to other penalties they assess.

And just a heads up that the Q4 payment (which covers December), isn't due until Jan 15.

localh77 on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Question about state taxes:

In 2012 I moved from Massachusetts to New Mexico, but I kept my Massachusetts job and turned it into a work-from-home situation.

So for all of 2013 I've been working from my home in NM even though it's the same job I had in MA. So in which state did I make my income?

Other possibly relevant info:
    • My work headquarters is in MA, but the company does also have offices present in NM (though I never go to the NM building)
    • Company is an Inc., and I'm pretty sure it's incorporated in Delaware
    • I took 2 week-long business trips in 2013 to the MA office

wonderpug on
    It all comes down to where your "tax home" is. It can get complicated, but in your case I don't think it is. I would say your tax home is NM for the entire year, so it's all NM income. The sticking point is to make sure that your W-2 reflects that. I've seen companies report it as Massachusetts income, because that's where they're located. Which isn't right, but since the IRS gets a copy of the W-2, it makes it a pain for you.

If it turns out that they reported it wrong for 2013, you have a choice to make. You can ask them to fix it, but sometimes the company will balk because it's a ton of work to go back and file amended Massachusetts payroll returns, file NM returns, figure out the taxes, etc. You might want to just see how the taxes would work it if you filed it as MS income. If it wouldn't be that different from NM, you could just file it that way for 2013, and then just make sure they correct it for 2014. Just an idea.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay, this is a weird one.

I finished and submitted my taxes yesterday. However, i guess they are in a holding pattern until the 31st, when the IRS will let H&R Block submit taxes for people.

Halfway through the year, my Department of Education loans were sold/transferred to Sallie Mae. I've been making payments to them. I went to their website and grabbed a 1098-E form for 781.16, with the Lender's name being "Department of Education, [blah], Wilkes-Barre, PA."

Today in the mail, I received another 1098-E. This time, from the "US Department of Education, [Blah], Lincoln, NE." The total is $863.17.

I think this means that I paid half the year to the real government and half to Sallie Mae, so both 1098-E's combine. But I'm not sure. This may also explain the difference in my refund.

So... I figure I should correct this. Is there any penalty to doing so with the free H&R block website? Will my papers be marked as corrected, and will that put me at a higher risk of audit?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    If H&R Block will let you correct it and re-submit before it gets sent to the IRS, that'll definitely be the way to go. It wouldn't raise your audit risk or anything, the IRS would never even know that this is a second draft.

If H&R Block doesn't let you change it, you'll have to file an amended return, which is a whole separate thing. The IRS doens't have an option to just tweak an e-filed return and re-file it, you have to prepare a 1040X and file it on paper. Obviously more of a pain. And I suppose theoretically there could be a higher audit risk with amended returns (I don't know), but it wouldn't be anything to worry about.

And just as an FYI to everyone out there, the IRS apparently has even fewer resources this year, which means less audit. The number I heard was something like 1% of all returns will be audited. But it's much higher (something like 10%) for people making millions of dollars (I forget the threshhold). And it's something like 0.9% or 0.8% of returns with less than $200k of income.

Thanks!

That extra form brought my refund back up to last year's level.

However, it doesn't look like H&R Block is letting me change my taxes at the moment. They are listing it as "Transmitted," but with this header:
    You transmitted your return.

Federal return status PendingFederal return status

When Will The IRS Open?
    Unfortunately, the recent federal government shutdown also affected the IRS and its tax processing systems. The IRS won’t begin processing tax returns until January 31. Although this delay has affected the entire industry, H&R Block returns will be accepted by the IRS as soon as processing begins.

We’ll Save Your Spot
    We’ll hold your completed return on our secure servers until processing begins — and hold your place in line with the IRS. We'll email you a status update once IRS processing begins.

Interestingly, though, when I print the PDF of my return, it shows the adjusted, higher rebate. So.. maybe I edited it successfully?