As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android: Netrunner] Creating and Controlling since 2012

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that works out since Overmind works on unused MU. Makes Origami basically a wash.

Public Sympathy, though...

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Ah, but Origami is exponential for card hand size! Two Origami means an extra 4 cards! All three would be 9 cards! That's a 14 card hand size. Overmind can get through quite a bit with 13 counters (assuming you've got the money to pump it). And Duggars is there to fill the hand.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Oh, hey, did somebody say All That Remains spoilers?

No?

Well, have fun.

Someone's going to have to explain one of those cards to me.
    Ekomind. This, on the surface, looks terrible.

Origami.

Overmind.

Yeah, but
    Walking into a Katana and having to toss out half your rig seems to be an instant loss condition that you can't recover from. There's almost no upside to the console; it's only beneficial in the extremely conditional circumstance that you have drawn and installed hand size increasing cards AND drawn your grip up to full enough that the hit won't adversely affect your rig. Worst case, you have no hand and no rig and get to completely start the game over without a starting hand.

I'm of the opinion in most deck builders that you should always expect the worst case scenario for any card you include, and that's just... yeah. Nope.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    If only there was a way in Anarchs to draw a massive number of cards at the same time to actually fill your grip.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    On Gemini, spending 3 credits on a trace to force 1 net damage seems pretty eh, but maybe it'll be interesting if the Chronos Protocol ID ever gets released

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    If only there was a way in Anarchs to draw a massive number of cards at the same time to actually fill your grip.

Perhaps it's my inexperience talking, but still seems super-combo-y.

Ah I missed a some wording there. Well now.

Time to take another look at that Quetzal/Overmind build.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Ekomind looks amazingly fun

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

Perhaps it's my inexperience talking, but still seems super-combo-y.

Mmm, depends on what you're going for. You could build a pretty reasonable Wyldside deck using Oragami and Ecto to have a sustained growth sort of thing, with the standard Aesops trashing mechanisms and whatnot. You don't have to play super-janky druggars whatever-the-hell deck. You can just enjoy some memory space, making decent use of Shaharazad and some other things without relying on Djinn for memory space.
    I'm not saying it's perfect, but the "hand size + console" has a lot of room to push. It is indeed smart design.

Loving the astrology cycle. Look forward to NBN getting something that has the same effect for resources. I think the part of Gemini that's easy to overlook is that, sure it's a 2-strength trace you can push for net damage, but it's also a 3-rez 5-strength sentry. The forcing part is rather the nice bow on a good package.
    This is a phenomenal data pack. Great cards for everyone, and in general almost every faction got some interesting cards too. Criminal identity definitely has my eyebrow cocked.

• TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Can I get clarification on a round going to time? If Corp and Runner are playing a game, and time is called when:

1) Corp is in the middle of their turn
    2) Runner is in the middle of their turn
    3) Either just completed their turn

I thought I had read somewhere once that a "turn" is Corp, then Runner. So, if time is called when the runner is mid-turn, the runner finishes, and then that's game. If the corp is taking their turn, then then runner gets "fair ups" and completes their next turn before the game ends. The FAQ leads me to believe that when time is called, the other player not currently taking their turn gets another go, and then the game ends. But that text is not blue, meaning it wasn't changed from the previous iteration. Am I one FAQ behind, or did I make up my understanding?

"Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
    edited October 2014
    I mean, consider:
    Pretend you've got out Ekomind and and a single Origami so far (just haven't run into another yet). Seems a reasonable setup. You're drawn to full (6 card grip). You make a successful run.

Corp turn, they SEA Source, win the trace, and Scorch. Your Grip drops to 2, and so does your MU.

What programs will you be throwing away? I mean, if you had a full set of breakers out, you don't anymore. Are you losing an Opus?

And if you only had 2-3 MU of programs out... what do you need Eko for?

I mean, I don't deny that you can do interesting things with it, but it really feels like it requires so much support that you'd have to build your entire deck around Eko, instead of building your deck around some form of win condition.

Houn on
    I don't think anyone is suggesting it would be tournament level good @Houn. Only that it might be a lot of fun to play around with.

• KesterKester Registered User regular
    I mean, consider:
    Pretend you've got out Ekomind and and a single Origami so far (just haven't run into another yet). Seems a reasonable setup. You're drawn to full (6 card grip). You make a successful run.

Corp turn, they SEA Source, win the trace, and Scorch. Your Grip drops to 2, and so does your MU.

What programs will you be throwing away? I mean, if you had a full set of breakers out, you don't anymore. Are you losing an Opus?

I mean, I don't deny that you can do interesting things with it, but it really feels like it requires so much support that you'd have to build your entire deck around Eko, instead of building your deck around some form of win condition.

Yeah, basically this. Runner +hand size cards aren't really worth running on their own, so Ekomind combos in a fragile way with a mediocre set of cards to give an effect you could easily get another way by putting memory in your deck.

Imagine a version of Ekomind that just said "MU is equal to your handsize". It would be strictly better than what we actually got, would have some potential, and certainly wouldn't be overpowered: all it does is potentially save you deck space by letting you combine +MU and +handsize cards (in a mildly combo-y way, with the increased variance that comes with that). To be honest I think it still wouldn't be top tier.

It's a shame really - I'd love to see something that makes the runner +hand size cards interesting. :(

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well, I am back in the states... played in Quinn's Netrunner tournament over the weekend. Got my clocked cleaned; we played 5 rounds of swiss and I went 2-8. Loved every minute of it.

Lots and lots of HB and NBN decks for corps, and the wunderkind for the runners.

I am on the mailing list for those now. They look ace.

I wouldn't install an Ekomind without a reason to do so. If you're dropping Ekomind in a situation where a scorch would ruin your rig, then you're just playing badly.

It's a combo-y card, yeah, but I can see it having some incredibly potent potential when combined with Origami and some other cards. Maybe not superpower level potency, but certain still very interesting/good.

I'd only ever drop it if I have a couple of origamis out, or I'm protected from heavy net/meat damage already (or from taking tags). Remember, having a card in your deck doesn't automatically mean you're going to have to worry about worst case scenarios unless you allow yourself to be put into those situations.

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I mean, consider:

Well your primary example is built on you using all of your MU, which you shouldn't be doing. As for needing Ekomind with only a couple MU of programs, look up Overmind. I know you don't own it yet, but It's a pretty neat AI which gets better with each unused MU. Basically it's Crypsis but costs 1 less and doesn't need clicks to add virus tokens.

I've seen people assume that because Anarch have a lot of MU based tricks (Parasite, Medium/Keyhole/Nerve Agent, D4v1d, Imp, Datasucker, etc) they then have to be big rig decks that get all the pieces together and win in the late game, but I think the opposite is really the case. Shapers can get away with that mentality because of the amazing draw and tutor cards they have (Self Modifying Code, Diesels, and such) but if an Anarch tries it, they're going to get the pieces all out of order and they'll lose before they've achieved anything. You have to play in the mindset of getting only what you need now and fuck the rest. For example, don't install Imp because you like Imp, install it because you need it now.

In that regard, I think you should almost never be using all your memory as an Anarch. In an Ekomind, where you've got Origamis, you shouldn't be using anywhere near it. All you really need is an Overmind, a Datasucker, and maybe a medium. Then they can blast you all they like and it wouldn't matter much; you've probably got a Wyldside to fix the damage anyways.

And hell, if you're playing an old Scorch+SE deck and they get the combo before you got your Plascrete, you've got worse problems than your console.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't see the given example as a particularly good one. At what point in the game did you set yourself up for a SEA > Scorch where it's either late enough you're probably on the verge of winning anyway, or it's early enough you weren't using your MU to be hurt by it. Besides, it's a good reason to say it's a console you play with damage prevention rather than tag prevention. :/

ANYWHO, who knows. It's still good card design and I really don't see it as janky. It's a much better "gimmick" than The Professor, for example, and helps build an archtype we didn't see coming from existing cards.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    In my eyes, Blackat falls into that same unfortunate slot as Ninja. It is, once in a blue moon, a more efficient breaker than the staples. But the times that situation arise make it hard to justify as an inclusion. Blackat is a bit worse given its reliance on another type of card. Granted that's less of a thing in a dedicated stealth deck, but it makes it pretty much impossible to use outside of that circumstance.

3 is a way less unfortunate strength slot for a fracter than it is for a killer

there are lots of prevalent ice that it breaks without needing a boost
    I do wonder if we'll see a ID with a reoccurring stealth credit on it.

Granted, if it were going to happen, I would've thought Silhouette would be it.

I think this will happen someday and it will probably be criminal, maybe shaper, but almost certainly not anarch

I think I've said it before, but I kinda wish BlacKat was either 2 strength and cheaper, or 4 strength and a bit more expensive. There's a lot of common even strength barriers, and it feels a bit rough essentially overspending a lot of the time to break them.

A minor quibble, really, but I think it'd be a bit more consistent with an even base strength.

• grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Can I get clarification on a round going to time? If Corp and Runner are playing a game, and time is called when:

1) Corp is in the middle of their turn
    2) Runner is in the middle of their turn
    3) Either just completed their turn

I thought I had read somewhere once that a "turn" is Corp, then Runner. So, if time is called when the runner is mid-turn, the runner finishes, and then that's game. If the corp is taking their turn, then then runner gets "fair ups" and completes their next turn before the game ends. The FAQ leads me to believe that when time is called, the other player not currently taking their turn gets another go, and then the game ends. But that text is not blue, meaning it wasn't changed from the previous iteration. Am I one FAQ behind, or did I make up my understanding?

I'm reasonably certain what happens is whoever's turn it is when time is called finishes their turn. Then the other player finishes. Runner/Corp does not matter in this case.

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    also, there is no real "in between turn" part of the game so if you say "I'm done" and time is called in that instant, the other player gets their turn and then you get one last turn.

in other news, I played my stealth Kit deck last night and while I won the game, I realized that the deck has an absolutely horrific matchup against Blue Sun

in fact they're all pretty bad, except for Quetzal, who wrecks it (as long as you've got E3 and David, which you should)

which means I'll probably play her at a tournament I'm going to on Saturday

I haven't played all week and it's gnawing at me.

Though I'm almost caught up on listening to the Terminal7 podcast; started the new ep in the car this morning.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I've spent more time listening to Terminal7 while commuting than I have playing the game at this point.

But maybe not for long! I taught a fifth person to play a week ago. One of these days, someone will agree to a rematch.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    As corp, can you only score agenda's when applying advancement counters?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Agendas can be scored at the very beginning of the Corp's turn, before any of the Corp's actions and after any of the Corp's actions. You can leave an agenda installed and with enough agenda counters on it to score it for as long as you like, then score it later in one of those three windows.

You can't score an agenda on the Runner's turn (except for with Plan B shenanigans).

Epimer on
  • xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    As corp, can you only score agenda's when applying advancement counters?

No, you can score it anytime after the required number of counters are on it. So for example you can install-advance-advance a Breaking News and then wait until the beginning of your next turn to score it and give the runner tags, if you wanted to set up some tag punishment. The only restriction here is that agendas can only be scored on the corps turn.

steam_sig.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I figured. I was more thinking on the lines of stacking a Beale and then just scoring it when the runner declares a run on that server.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    there was a tournament yesterday and everyone in top 4 was playing NEH astrobiotics

fuckin'

goddamnit, FFG

I'm not doing any more of these things until something is released that actually helps runners deal with FA decks, I've had enough of it

There's supposed to be some anti-FA stuff coming, although I forget when exactly.

Wouldn't mind it if Astroscript went away or got errata'd though.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Just tried Octgn on a whim.

Being a free unofficial thing I was pretty much expecting obtusely difficult interface and nobody wanting to play with me.

In fact it was really nicely done, and I pretty much instantly found a nice person perfectly happy to play core only decks and explain the more arcane bits of the interface to me.

What a pleasant surprise.

PS @mere_immortal‌ I played as Corp in a Jinteki Vs Shaper match and I won. Sign of things to come!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited October 2014
    There's supposed to be some anti-FA stuff coming, although I forget when exactly.

Wouldn't mind it if Astroscript went away or got errata'd though.

yeah supposedly the first pack of the next cycle will help a lot

otherwise, Kim in Order and Chaos looks to be pretty strong against it, at least potentially

he'll probably still have the same consistency problems that every Anarch has right now

but Lukas will never errata Astro, he's too proud (though he has acknowledged that it's too strong, that they should have made it a 4/2 instead of a 3/2)

also major errata like that introduces some problems that can be really off-putting to new players

Shorty on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    since NEH I haven't been playing that much. Somehow playing against NEH astrobiotics feels less interactive to me, more like a crap shoot.

sig.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    would a current that makes the first card installed in a remote server cost an extra click be a terrible idea somehow?

sig.gif
    Kim leaves me conflicted.

On one hand, I have a burning hatred of Humanity First-style groups.

On the other hand, I want to play that deck and trash so much shit.

persona4celestia.jpg
    would a current that makes the first card installed in a remote server cost an extra click be a terrible idea somehow?

uhhhhh yeah that would be bizoinks, since it punishes slow advance (especially Weyland) as well as fast advance

it also just means that in order to score a 3/2 they just have to have a biotic or a sansan in addition to an astro token

edited October 2014
    I could see a current where agendas cannot have their advance requirement reduced under their printed requirement. (I like the name "Dev Hell" for it.)

Or maybe one that blocks abilities on scored agendas from being used.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Shorty wrote: »

uhhhhh yeah that would be bizoinks, since it punishes slow advance (especially Weyland) as well as fast advance

it also just means that in order to score a 3/2 they just have to have a biotic or a sansan in addition to an astro token

i was just thinking it seemed similar to ELP. Could even have the same 'not through a card ability' rider.

sig.gif
  • Stranger DangerStranger Danger Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Very minor spoiler from Snow-jax on 4chan: At least one of the vehicles on the card 'the dealer' will show up as an actual card.

He/she is also polling if releasing spoilers for the next data pack on the first week of November is too early.

Edit: I think they mean 'The Supplier'

Stranger Danger on
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Kim leaves me conflicted.

On one hand, I have a burning hatred of Humanity First-style groups.

On the other hand, I want to play that deck and trash so much shit.

Considering that in the Android universe the robots and cyborgs are being pushed by a pretty villainous corporation that explicitly devalues human labour, the luddites really have a point in this setting.

I'd like a current that increases the advancement cost of each agenda by 1 for each copy of that agenda scored or stolen; hit fast advance and fast track decks (or at the very least makes them dilute their deck with currents) without impacting corp decks that have agenda diversity. Call it 'Negative Feedback' ;).