As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Book of [Job Thread]

DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty DameRegistered User regular
edited January 2014 in Social Entropy++
We need a new job thread for my amusement!!

Talk about your boss, your job hunt, or how you made the mistake of making your resume 'searchable' on Monster.com and are now inundated with shady offers for job interviews.

Vent about horrible deadlines, or how awesome your company's lunchroom is (ours has tator tots)

Get a job and get a beautiful red panda pic from @joe user! THE JOB THREAD!!

Didgeridoo on

• Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    The best part about my job is that I work from home.

The worst part about my job is:
    that I work from home

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The best part about my job is that I work from home.

The worst part about my job is:
    that I work from home

I got dressed at around 2:00pm, ordered a pan pizza for breakfast-through-dinner, and then played maybe six hours of videogames

working from home is killing me

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'd probably be more inclined to do phone based tech support from home.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    I'd probably be more inclined to do phone based tech support from home.

A former roommate of mine did this.

I do not think he ever left the apartment.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    My last day at work is monday.

Hooray for leaving job I've hated for years now

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    my wife is a week past due date and i've been checked out for about that time. So much critical shit came my way this week and I was like "You guys know I could be gone any SECOND, right?"

It's so hard to think about anything other than this. Can't these contract mailings wait until i'm a dad?

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    my wife is a week past due date and i've been checked out for about that time. So much critical shit came my way this week and I was like "You guys know I could be gone any SECOND, right?"

It's so hard to think about anything other than this. Can't these contract mailings wait until i'm a dad?

That kinda reminds me of a story my dad told me. He was at a concert back in the 60s/70s (forget which band) and the opening act played, then the intermission, then the house lights dimmed... And nothing.

For about an hour.

Finally the band runs out on stage and the singer apologizes profusely and explains that his wife had just gotta out of labor and he was now a father.

Anyway, now to wait for the company to call me back for either my 3rd interview or a notification of employment.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    So this week got strange, i got sent on a "emergency" trip to go look at a building and placate a client.

Turns out the building was fine, some kids broke in during construction and spray-painted the pace and the client freaked out like that has never happened before, just power wash the concrete that would be visible after the actual walls go up. So, and the client wined and dined me at ... KFC. But hey, free trip to southern oregon...

While im here, is there anything to do in ashland?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Three day weekend?

Three day weekend.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    3 day weekend after tomorrow for me

anyway my job is total ass

we're a shitty shop that sells shitty cheap clothing/equipment and has shitty cheap customers

shoplifting is rife and we have zero security

zero hours contract so i could get a text message letting me know that all my shifts have been cancelled and that's it

Beasteh on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    No three day weekend for me. I leave sunday to spend a week helping train some new chemists and technicians at a new plant we're starting up.

I never go crazy with it, but there's something I deeply enjoy about living off my corporate card for a week.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Oh hoho a 2nd alarm fire is just how I wanted my day to end. Granted it's much worse for the people actually there.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    No three day weekend for me. I leave sunday to spend a week helping train some new chemists and technicians at a new plant we're starting up.

I never go crazy with it, but there's something I deeply enjoy about living off my corporate card for a week.

Corporate cards are tricky; you can buy food at an Applebee's but you can't pay a stripper's rent.

And I'm all like ...

Do you want me to network or not?

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    So I promoted my first DC yesterday before the three day weekend. Gotta replace one of the DCs currently running on 2003.

If I'm lucky that process will have somehow taken down the whole network and I actually have something to do next week...

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    3 day weekend after tomorrow for me

anyway my job is total ass

we're a shitty shop that sells shitty cheap clothing/equipment and has shitty cheap customers

shoplifting is rife and we have zero security

zero hours contract so i could get a text message letting me know that all my shifts have been cancelled and that's it

Reading these threads over the years, I swear you are a magnet for the crappiest, skeeviest, jobs in England, the fuck is the deal with Cameron/the Tories saying the economy is getting better over there?

Wait I forgot, they just meant it's getting better for financiers...

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Saturday shift, and I'm the only one who could make it in.

Pants become optional at this point, right?

• Options

Corporate cards are tricky; you can buy food at an Applebee's but you can't pay a stripper's rent.

And I'm all like ...

it's such a pain trying to charge a massage and happy ending in increments of $24, because anything over 25 needs a receipt on an expense report.

• Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    If you're paying more than $24 then you're paying too much.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

And I'm all like ...

it's such a pain trying to charge a massage and happy ending in increments of $24, because anything over 25 needs a receipt on an expense report.

Yeah, every time you hit the ATM in the massage parlor/strip club, it charges you a ton extra.

The trick is to find a gas station near your location that only hits you up for $1.50 for every transaction; that way, you can score twenties to your heart's delight.

After that, it's only a matter of finding the right group of hoodlums to beat you up just a little bit in exchange for your company card and the PIN code.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My three day weekend is Monday-Wednesday this week. Get to hang out with my almost 2 year old nephew all three days. We are going to play so much Batman.

Guys. He says Batman in a little tiny gravelly baby voice it is the cutest thing. Like baby Christian Bale.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    First week back, 13-15 hour days each day.

I'm not thrilled about it.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So @beavotron 's post from the last thread got me checking to see what books there were out there for Scaleform.
    This is a promising first line of the actual official content description of one I found
    High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just spent like ten minutes helping a meeting room full of furries get their stupid laptop to work with some speaker so they could watch some furry anime. Just people in Furry costumes all over.

Only in a public library.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I had to work today and between a few inches of unexpected snow and accidents/traffic on my drive in to work I was rather late. I let my coworker know but she did not have a key to open the building. Unfortunately she and a few customers had to wait until I got there. Everyone was understanding because it's goddamn winter in Upstate NY but one lady was just irate. No matter how much I apologized and explained to her that I'm sorry I can't control the weather, other drivers, and other people's accidents I needed to compensate her in some way because she drove a half an hour to get there. You just can't make some people happy.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Receipts for anything above $25? Monsters. The only time I ever had to submit a food receipt was when it was a $140 bill and my manager forgot his card.

The US government once audited my travel. The result was the government deducted $0.27 from my paycheck because I was at a hotel above the per diem. I almost made them pay the room tax on the hotel costs above the per diem.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Eh, receipts for anything over 25 isn't that bad because they never hassle me about anything. Unless I go out to dinner with some co-workers and I pick up the tab for everyone. And then all I have to do is explain that I bought dinner for a few people and then it's fine.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One more day and then I get a day off. Yaaay.

Can't believe I was off for two weeks not long ago. Feels like I have been in every day for the entire history of the universe.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My last job required receipts for everything despite the fact that we were covered by the under-$25 rule, too. It was a pain.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    so I went and took an exam for the proofreading position I applied for this morning

part of it was spelling

I had to choose between "coolly" and "cooly"

and I picked the first one

then made a note that read "I feel I should point out that both of these are correct, though it seems more likely you're looking for the adverb rather than an out-of-favor 19th century term for a Chinese porter."

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Awesomed that but also feel the need to say neeeeeeeerd.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I bow to my linguistic superior.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So this week got strange, i got sent on a "emergency" trip to go look at a building and placate a client.

Turns out the building was fine, some kids broke in during construction and spray-painted the pace and the client freaked out like that has never happened before, just power wash the concrete that would be visible after the actual walls go up. So, and the client wined and dined me at ... KFC. But hey, free trip to southern oregon...

While im here, is there anything to do in ashland?

Not get your kids vaccinated?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    But I thought that was spelled 'coolie'!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Alternate spelling

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I worked today.

That happened.

Then I opened a giant beer.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

both are accepted

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Now I learned something today, too!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

both are accepted

Well really neither are "accepted."

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    My bosses dropped by my street location to check up, make sure I wasn't just shivering and not trying to sell tickets. One of them, known for being energetic and eccentric, showed me how he does everything in his power to get people to stop and listen to the pitch. It's a whole lot of social pressure that works pretty well to grab attention. Not a single sale after that though. Felt like shit because I knew it was due to my own lack of people skills. Especially when I had one last group of prospects stopped and hearing the pitch, letting them know the product before a beggar grabbed their attention, made some crass jokes and completely grabbed their attention to do his own spiel for a $5 donation.

My boss noticed my frustration at the end of the day and asked what was bugging me. He revealed to me that he was actually quite the introvert, that all the pushing and fast talk and joking around was an act he puts on at work. Gave me some pointers on how to become an actor, hoping this could be an angle to help me out.

Being a salesman is... kinda ridiculous

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Just approached my manager and offered to work voluntarily a few days week to round me up to 4 or 5 days. I really want to get up to speed and make a good impression here, and by the sound of my managers response I've made the good impression. Maybe I'll hold onto this job after all.

This discussion has been closed.