As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's [Science!]

TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam WeRegistered User regular
To start off with, most Scientists could also double as stand up comedians.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

"Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true." - Niels Bohr

Okay that's done.

So! I haven't seen a dedicated thread in D&D about Science and I find I've had a slowly growing problem with that and today I decided to do something about it.

This is a thread for anything Science. Everything from discussions about biology (I've always loved the discussions about Viruses either being a true living organism or not to be interesting) to physics (Black Holes anyone? The nature of a singularity is always fun to think about.) to just dreaming about and doing our own theorizing about future tech and discoveries.

This isn't limited to us discussing stuff either. The best things about scientists is that they're usually an adaptable creature capable of fully utilizing new tools in a quick and efficient manner usually to the benefit of their community. So there are plenty of youtube videos and other media items that you can post here.

In fact I'll go first.
Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss are two of my most favorite scientists that are alive today. Not only that but "Something From Nothing" gets around to a huge variety of topics so we'll have a broad jumping off point to start us off.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Throughout last year I set up my DVR to record a lot of things in preparation of the birth of my daughter. I like the idea of indoctrinating her subconsciously with bad scifi movies and good scifi tv series. But the most interesting thing I ended up recording that I've watched so far is the 50 or so episodes of Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. I enjoy the fact that they put Michio Kaku in a couple episodes to discuss one of my favorite topics from his popularizing science book Visions from 1997. Sometimes TV science programs are a little behind but at least it is getting out there.

The topic that I refer to is how technologically dim our species is currently. Kaku describes at least three levels of technological advancement that a species could be categorized as. In type 1, a species has mastered their planet, capable of harnessing and controlling the power their planet generates. For a type 2 species, you see the mastery of their solar system where they can travel and work within their solar system with relative ease and have figured out how to harness the energy being outputted by their star. And finally in a type 3 species, they have mastered travel between stars and can muster nearly limitless energy because they kinda have to be able to in order to move among star systems in relatively short time periods. Clearly our species has yet to fathom type 2 or 3 abilities. And although type 1 is seeming to be close to us, Kaku describes our species as a type 0 organism, still reliant on dead organic material for energy and since we haven't branched out to beyond our own planet yet to sustain the species in an extinction level event occurrence then we may be destined to never make the leap to a type 1 species. I'm running off my 17 year memory of the book and the quick blurb Kaku got on the tv program, but I think I hit the major points of that particular part of the book that I found most interesting.

Another book I read a long time ago about popularizing scientific theories was Probabilty 1. It speaks about Fermi's Paradox of where is all this life in the universe and breaks down Drake's Equation for determining how many species of intelligence there are. I highly recommend this book if this topic is of interest!

I kind of rambled here on my cell phone trying to coo my daughter to sleep but I saw this thread jump off the first page with no responses and was sad about that.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    That scale is known as the Kardashev scale

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The ESA Rosetta probe is waking up in a little over a day, heading all the way out to rendeavouz with a comet near Jupiter. The exciting thing is that it'll be the first mission that does high-resolution mapping and sampling of a comet - the ship comes within 10m of the surface and is going to take photos of the entire thing.

NASA New Horizons is still over a year away from reaching Pluto, and it'll be orbiting at 10,000km and taking high resolution photos of the surface as well - the first time we'll ever have seen Pluto up close. The resolution will be like high-resolution satellite photography, detailed enough to make out buildings were we doing it on Earth.

The cool thing is, Pluto is so distant that New Horizons will wake up a long time in advance of establishing an orbit since they need it to take starfield pictures so they can firm up where Pluto actually is for the injection burn. This mission should also provide some evidence for or against the hypothesis that Pluto might have enough radioactive decay to maintain a liquid ocean under it's ice (potassium powered) which has got some people thinking about if you could have limited alien life there.

EDIT: Also, Pluto should be pink - cold enough to be covered in solid nitrogen.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    WARNING: The following image should not be viewed sober.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2014
    Trace wrote: »
    In fact I'll go first.
    Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss are two of my most favorite scientists that are alive today. Not only that but "Something From Nothing" gets around to a huge variety of topics so we'll have a broad jumping off point to start us off.

Wait...is this about the Krauss / Albert kerfuffle?

Edit: Oh...it is. Fucking Krauss just needs to accept that he does not know what "Nothing" means.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Stuff like that is why we desperately need to hope that NASA's Warp Field Mechanics program actually finds something.

The single most frustrating thing in fundamental physics at the moment is that the existent, known to be incomplete theory's, keep being proved experimentally accurate. You calculate the mass of an electron to more decimal places and years later it'll turn out you're still right. As I understand it there's a lot of people hoping some routine super-accurate measurement of a fundamental constant will come out decisively wrong, because it'd finally let us start mapping out what we don't know.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular

Stuff like that is why we desperately need to hope that NASA's Warp Field Mechanics program actually finds something.

The single most frustrating thing in fundamental physics at the moment is that the existent, known to be incomplete theory's, keep being proved experimentally accurate. You calculate the mass of an electron to more decimal places and years later it'll turn out you're still right. As I understand it there's a lot of people hoping some routine super-accurate measurement of a fundamental constant will come out decisively wrong, because it'd finally let us start mapping out what we don't know.
    I think that was a big part of what killed my interest in physics, as a grad student. You can either make guesses in theory based on zero experimental evidence, or do endless experiments trying to measure constants down to the 50th decimal place hoping to finally turn up something that doesn't fit the standard model.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm kind of worried we won't break the standard model in our lifetimes.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I read an article about the multiverse in a magazine the other day.

But it was about shitty low-energy universes where gravity is too weak to form planets or something.

Not cool universes where I'm a movie star and ride a motorcycle.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Don't worry. There are lots of stuff which the standard model does not explain (gravity, matter/antimatter asymmetry and so on). The discovery of higgs is considered to be probably the least exciting thing to come out of the lhc.

And if indeed we can not discover anything beyond the standard model, then that would be a very strong indication that we need to take a step back and reconsider a lot of our fundamental assumptions in physics!

See also http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_beyond_the_Standard_Model

• Options
    Morran wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

Don't worry. There are lots of stuff which the standard model does not explain (gravity, matter/antimatter asymmetry and so on). The discovery of higgs is considered to be probably the least exciting thing to come out of the lhc.

And if indeed we can not discover anything beyond the standard model, then that would be a very strong indication that we need to take a step back and reconsider a lot of our fundamental assumptions in physics!

See also http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_beyond_the_Standard_Model

God damnit I just lost an hour to wikipedia again...

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Here's something unexpected from the world of math.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + ..... and so on = -1/12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well that was fun. Negative one twelfth. Sheesh.

I like to share Vi Hart videos just in case someone missed her.

http://youtu.be/heKK95DAKms

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I love Vi Hart so much.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Real life Space Engine! Cool!

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

what hath mankind wrought

• Options

what hath mankind wrought

I saw this on a few other websites and kind of skipped past it...but holy fucking christ that is insane.

I feel when people are explaining what infinity is, this is the thing you should be shown, to point out that infinity is not a number in any conventional sense.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, the difference between stopping at some point on one hand, and never stopping, ever, on the other hand, is a pretty big difference, I imagine.

PLA on
  • Options
    Yeah but -1/12 is a terminating decimal. Strictly not infinite. Weirdo maths.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    That summation video is a little BS because they aren't using the traditional calculus definition of an infinite series, because that requires the partial sums to converge to a value. Both the starting sum (1+2+3+...) and the one they use to fool around with (1-1+1-1+1-1+...) are divergent. The second one doesn't converge to 1/2, because that requires there to be some point after which the partial sums can get arbitrarily close to 1/2.

Now, there is a way to analytically continue power series to give something called the Riemann zeta function, which is what they are trying to hint at in the video but handwave away. The sum is divergent, but the Riemann zeta function evaluated at what would correspond with that sum gives -1/12.

Savant on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Shamelessly stolen from the space thread in SE++.

http://htwins.net/scale2/
    http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars/

Warning the last one will probably eat into your time, but it's well worth it IMO.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yea the math on that sum is wrong. They're using the math incorrectly and it can be shown from a simple inequality proof* that the infinite sum of the natural numbers is positive.

Basically they're adding up things which don't have values but treating them like they do.

* sum of two positive numbers is positive. Infinite sum of natural numbers is a set of positive numbers summed with positive numbers. Ergo its value is greater than zero ergo -1/12 is wrong.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Savant wrote: »
    That summation video is a little BS because they aren't using the traditional calculus definition of an infinite series, because that requires the partial sums to converge to a value. Both the starting sum (1+2+3+...) and the one they use to fool around with (1-1+1-1+1-1+...) are divergent. The second one doesn't converge to 1/2, because that requires there to be some point after which the partial sums can get arbitrarily close to 1/2.

Now, there is a way to analytically continue power series to give something called the Riemann zeta function, which is what they are trying to hint at in the video but handwave away. The sum is divergent, but the Riemann zeta function evaluated at what would correspond with that sum gives -1/12.

They have a few extra videos that go through the proofs using the Riemann Zeta functions. But that level of math makes my brain hurt. I don't have the motivation to sit down and work out the exact proofs myself. It's like they're speaking another language at that point.

• Options
    It's still wrong. The sum of positive numbers is positive. The infinite sum of positive numbers is positive. It cannot be negative even at infinity.

The only way that it could be wrong is if transitivity of inequality did not hold. Which would break so many things it's really not worth considering.

It's like the second law of thermodynamics. No you did not break it. It doesn't matter what you thought you did right. You made some mistake

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Here is another example. Take their s1 and subtract s1. Shift it over to the side so that our new series looks like

1-2+2-2+2...

S1-S1 = 1. So 1=0 which is false.

Same method same nonsensical result. If they're basing string theory on it they've probably made some pretty big mistakes

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    If they're basing string theory on it they've probably made some pretty big mistakes

I think this is the problem. :P

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    As a number of people have pointed out, the problem starts with their use of S = 1-1+1-1... = 1/2

Using their own method, we can break that set into two:
    S1 = +1+1+1+1+1...
    S2 = -1-1-1-1-1...

So we should have S1+S2 = S2+S1 = S

From there we can look at it from 2 perspectives.

First, since we are interleaving addition of positive and negative numbers then order shouldn't matter.

So S1+S2 = (0) +1-1+1-1+1... = S2+S1 = (0) -1+1-1+1...

However, their own evaluation is based on the first number, so according to them S1+S2 = 1/2 = S2+S1 = -1/2. Which is obviously wrong.

Second (and simpler), S2 = -1(1+1+1+1...) = -1(S1) = -S1

So S1+S2=S1-S1=0=S

These cannot all be true.

This very much reminds me of the "proof" that 1=2 by using variables to obfuscate the fact that at one point the proof divides by zero.

Archangle on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You guys are hurfing a blurf that misses the point here.

(1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ...) is a divergent series. So is (1 + -1 + 1 + -1 ...). Neither has a "sum" in the sense that a convergent series does. But we can identify methods to compute a "sum" for a divergent series. These "summation methods" are usually defined such that the result of using the summation method on a convergent series is the sum of the convergent series ("sum" for a convergent series meaning the usual limit of the partial sums as the number of entries approaches infinity). But, in addition to giving the same result for a convergent series, many summation methods give finite results for divergent series--this is why they're useful. Cesaro summation and Abel summation are summation methods.

The guys in the video are talking about zeta function regularization, which is a summation method often used in physics. Zeta function regularization of the series (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ...) does indeed yield -1/12.

I'm not sure about the video's attempt to demonstrate this with algebraic methods. They seem to be using the Cesaro sum of (1 + -1 + 1 + -1 + ...), which is 1/2, and then extrapolating from this using algebra to arrive at the correct value for the zeta function regularization of (1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ...). That seems kinda sketchy to me, but I'm not a mathematician and my understanding of this field is limited to what I learned today from the Internets. I think what they're really doing is pointing out a weird coincidence of mathematics.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    It seems like a good example of why you have to be really, really careful not to break rules in math, because if you're not careful you'll break a very subtle rule and then you can pretty much make any result you want pop out.

In this case it's a weird coincidence that there's another, actually valid method that gives the same sort of result but it means something very different there.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity:

Do we have a better idea today than we did, say, about 4~ years ago of what is causing 'dark gravity', so to speak? Or dark energy?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    this is one fact that always blows my mind
    On 21 April 1992,[41] radio astronomers Aleksander Wolszczan and Dale Frail announced the discovery of two planets orbiting the pulsar PSR 1257+12.[18] This discovery was confirmed, and is generally considered to be the first definitive detection of exoplanets. These pulsar planets are believed to have formed from the unusual remnants of the supernova that produced the pulsar, in a second round of planet formation, or else to be the remaining rocky cores of gas giants that somehow survived the supernova and then decayed into their current orbits.

until 1992 we had no evidence that planets outside of our own solar system existed

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    this is one fact that always blows my mind
    On 21 April 1992,[41] radio astronomers Aleksander Wolszczan and Dale Frail announced the discovery of two planets orbiting the pulsar PSR 1257+12.[18] This discovery was confirmed, and is generally considered to be the first definitive detection of exoplanets. These pulsar planets are believed to have formed from the unusual remnants of the supernova that produced the pulsar, in a second round of planet formation, or else to be the remaining rocky cores of gas giants that somehow survived the supernova and then decayed into their current orbits.

until 1992 we had no evidence that planets outside of our own solar system existed

No direct evidence, no - but I believe we had some indirect evidence in the form of gravitational 'sway' shown by some stars prior to that.

I'm pleased that these days, Sagan's prediction is more or less being totally vindicated: every star we've been able to examine with our somewhat crude exoplanet finding method has planets orbiting it. It's quite possible that every single star, or nearly every single star, has it's own planetary system.

Fuck you 70s-era cynical astronomers. In your FACE! :P

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They're 2xS2 sum is completely wrong. Which kinda fucks over their entire point.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandi's_series
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesàro_summation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanujan_summation
    S = 1-1+1_1...=1/2 is Grandi's series and the value is a Cesaro sum value. The series is divergent and lacks a sum in the usual sense, but it's Cesaro sum is 1/2.
    You can therefore conclude that 1-1+1-1+1... has no sum, but it should be 1/2. This has been argued since the 17th century or so. It's not a sum in the traditional sense but it has properties that make it mathematically useful to fields such as physics, specifically: quantum field theory, chasmir force, and other theoretical physics (namely string theory).

In the comments, they even link to http://terrytao.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/the-euler-maclaurin-formula-bernoulli-numbers-the-zeta-function-and-real-variable-analytic-continuation/ which discusses this a bit more indepth. For those of you unaware, Terry Tao is a Field Medal winner.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Well yea their method produces 1=0 they can make anything they want work. The only hard part in writing it is making sure that the intermediate steps work for certain definitions of "sum"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    As I understand it:

String Theory is not yet a widely accepted field of science, correct? Like, it's not (yet) useful in making predictions: it's just one possible sub-atomic model with some deep maths behind it?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    As I understand it:

String Theory is not yet a widely accepted field of science, correct? Like, it's not (yet) useful in making predictions: it's just one possible sub-atomic model with some deep maths behind it?

My understanding from when I was in physics and talking to lots of profs and people doing research and such was that String Theory was really pretty but produced no testable results.

But it was the popular shit like 10 years back and you had to use the words "String theory" somewhere in your proposals if you wanted to actually get funding. All the non-theoretical-physicists I knew hated it with a passion because of that.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Well yea their method produces 1=0 they can make anything they want work. The only hard part in writing it is making sure that the intermediate steps work for certain definitions of "sum"
    This came about due to rigor, where there are clear defined definitions for "sum", proper bracketing procedures, specific summation method to use, etc in your course of mathematics.

They're showing that the series has a property with 3 different values (based on summation method) and this value is what they observe in physics. The property is the most important part.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity:

Do we have a better idea today than we did, say, about 4~ years ago of what is causing 'dark gravity', so to speak? Or dark energy?

I believe some candidates for dark matter have been ruled out. There is a detector somewhere that has failed to detect any. Dark matter remains mysterious.

And "dark energy" is basically a term for "we don't know how the universe works on large scales". That definitely hasn't changed.

Though I shouldn't speak conclusively, I haven't studied the field closely in a long while. I'd be interested if anyone could correct me on my assertions here.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Out of curiosity:

I believe some candidates for dark matter have been ruled out. There is a detector somewhere that has failed to detect any. Dark matter remains mysterious.

And "dark energy" is basically a term for "we don't know how the universe works on large scales". That definitely hasn't changed.

Though I shouldn't speak conclusively, I haven't studied the field closely in a long while. I'd be interested if anyone could correct me on my assertions here.

Last I remember, we only know ~4% of what actually makes up the Universe. We're still drawing blanks on what dark matter and dark energy are.

My favorite theory to come out of physics lately is the idea that black holes spawn universes: the parent universe seeps in properties and matter into the child universe, which is born in a black hole. Properties like spin direction, matter-to-antimatter ratio, time, heat uniformity, etc. So taken at face value, we're in a black hole that's in another black hole that's in another black hole so on and so forth.

Instead of tortoises all the way down, it's black holes.

Evigilant on
This discussion has been closed.