As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's [Science!]

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    We should try and collide two people in CERN and see if we can find the mysterious "person" particle.

Then we can collide two "person" particles and see if that generates a smaller "person" particle, which we could call the "child" particle.

I think I've found the elementary "person" particle which gives a person mass
    130919_FG_PopeFrancisLiberal.jpg.CROP.article568-large.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    We should try and collide two people in CERN and see if we can find the mysterious "person" particle.

Then we can collide two "person" particles and see if that generates a smaller "person" particle, which we could call the "child" particle.

TO COLLIDER

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

So what you're saying is at some point every scientific advancement in AI is going to be a choice been red, green, or blue. :rotate:

And, antired and antiblue and antigreen.

But there's no antialpha.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    As it turns out, Pluto seems to have a gigantic crater:
    Iz3mneu.jpg

Might be a processing artifact though, so we'll know more in a week or two.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    Iz3mneu.jpg

So, mass relay y/n?

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    If it is, in fact, an impact crater I wonder if the impacting object was Charon?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    If it was Charon, then Charon would have been moving relatively slow to not destroy Pluto, and also be caught in its gravity well.
    Its just a gut perception on my part, but with Pluto being so small, something like the asteroid in size and speed that killed the dinos would have obliterated Pluto.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    If it was Charon, then Charon would have been moving relatively slow to not destroy Pluto, and also be caught in its gravity well.
    Its just a gut perception on my part, but with Pluto being so small, something like the asteroid in size and speed that killed the dinos would have obliterated Pluto.

I'd assume that something making a crater that large would have to be moving relatively slowly. More a case of two large rocks bumping into one another (and then assuming an orbit around one another after bouncing off).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It's got a dent. I am extremely amused.
    It's been hiding it the whole time.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The gravitational binding energy of Pluto is 5.76e27 joules; the explosive yield of the K-Pg impactor is (according to a search) about 5.43e23 joules, or a little less than 1/1000 the energy needed to fully disperse Pluto. This would cause substantial damage and probably eject material, but Pluto would not be obliterated.

Note that orbital crossing velocities are lower at Pluto's distance from the Sun, so impacts are probably slower on average. Objects at that distance still have a great deal of gravitational potential energy rather than kinetic energy.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The gravitational binding energy of Pluto is 5.76e27 joules; the explosive yield of the K-Pg impactor is (according to a search) about 5.43e23 joules, or a little less than 1/1000 the energy needed to fully disperse Pluto. This would cause substantial damage and probably eject material, but Pluto would not be obliterated.

Note that orbital crossing velocities are lower at Pluto's distance from the Sun, so impacts are probably slower on average. Objects at that distance still have a great deal of gravitational potential energy rather than kinetic energy.

Ummm....

There's a big difference between completely disperse and turn into a rubble cloud that would not have a dent after it reformed a million years later though.

Right?

There aren't even rings or a cloud.

Like the moon forming impact didn't leave a dent.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That'll really be something if that big-ass crater is real and not just an imaging artefact. Are there any other bodies in the solar system with such a large crater relative to the size of the object it's on? I can think only Mimas, and from the looks of it Pluto would beat it out on crater to body size ratio, just by eyeballing the image there.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    That'll really be something if that big-ass crater is real and not just an imaging artefact. Are there any other bodies in the solar system with such a large crater relative to the size of the object it's on? I can think only Mimas, and from the looks of it Pluto would beat it out on crater to body size ratio, just by eyeballing the image there.

Mars. The planet's weird two tone coloring is likely the result of an impact.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Here you go

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3345502/Asteroid-impact-made-Mars-two-faced.html

If you want more information.
    40% of a planets surface. Jeez.
    The latter analysis by researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Nasa suggests that a giant basin that covers about 40 percent of the surface of Mars, sometimes called the Borealis Basin, is actually the remains of a colossal impact very early in the solar system’s formation, measuring about the size of the combined area of Asia, Europe and Australia.

Planetary scientists at the University of California, Santa Cruz, were involved in both computer simulation studies - which also appear in the journal Nature - and come to the same conclusion: that Mars once collided with an object about one-half to two-thirds the size of the Moon, striking at an angle of 30 to 60 degrees to leave a massive oval shaped basin.

Blammo.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Iz3mneu.jpg

So, mass relay y/n?

Probably where the Mi-Go live.

• Options

i stand corrected. thanks @cycloneranger

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Stayed up last night to watch Russia's Progress 60 blast off to the ISS carrying food and supplies. Whole thing went off without a hitch. Don't really see much in the news about this stuff when it's not a catastrophe. I'm sure the ISS crew will be glad to restock some supplies. Also bodes well for the Soyuz launch later this month that will ferry 3 astronauts to the ISS returning the crew to its usual complement of 6.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Iz3mneu.jpg

Does reprocessed "Enhance" is real now?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Stayed up last night to watch Russia's Progress 60 blast off to the ISS carrying food and supplies. Whole thing went off without a hitch. Don't really see much in the news about this stuff when it's not a catastrophe. I'm sure the ISS crew will be glad to restock some supplies. Also bodes well for the Soyuz launch later this month that will ferry 3 astronauts to the ISS returning the crew to its usual complement of 6.

Different rockets used for manned launch. Supply runs use a cheaper more combustible fuel, nasty stuff that will give you cancer on contact.

• Options
    More strange features coming into focus on Pluto. This is a "natural color" image. Check out the series of dark smudges on Pluto's southern hemisphere. Very uniform, and quite large. Also interesting that Charon appears much darker than Pluto.

pluto_charon_color_june272015.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well pluto is methane ice surface right? So it would appear pretty bright

• Options
    Charon being darker is actually pretty weird. I'd have expected them to have nearly the same composition and surface conditions.

Maybe Pluto is more fractionated as a result of its larger mass, or of heating via impacts?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    As a non-sciency type person (more of a hobby following along), is my conclusion correct in feeling like we're on the brink of some serious stuff here in a lot of fields, or is this just par for the course and I'm only noticing it now that I'm paying attention?

• Options
    As a non-sciency type person (more of a hobby following along), is my conclusion correct in feeling like we're on the brink of some serious stuff here in a lot of fields, or is this just par for the course and I'm only noticing it now that I'm paying attention?
    Yes to both. There are major discoveries being made in hundreds of fields, and this is generally par for the course in terms of the last century or so of human history. If you adjust for population levels, you can probably extend that observation for centuries or even millenia prior--you'd have to confirm that with a historian or twenty, though.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Another super cool prosthesis vid from the 2015 DARPA Robotics Challenge Event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKhxcOLQhKk

The big take away:
    servos that can mimic human strength and finesse. 45lbs bicep curl, 20lbs index/thumb pinch. And they can be scaled up so they can be stronger.
    Robots that can work in human environments. EOD, keyboards, etc.
    Another blerb about neuromuscular reenervation (rewiring nerves to the pectoral muscle to pick up on nerve signals for amputees)

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Don't expect any new data from New Horizons for the next several days. As of today the probe will be at Pluto in 9 days. What awful timing for a glitch like this. Hopefully they have it all sorted out well in time. It would be heart breaking to say the least if the probe were to zip right past Pluto, unable to function.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Shit.
    Hope its not a physical failure.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Shit.
    Hope its not a physical failure.

Update, 10pm ET: NASA has announced that "There was no hardware or software fault. The underlying cause was a hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence that occurred during an operation to prepare for flyby." Science operations are set to resume on July 7.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/07/new-horizons-enters-safe-mode-9-days-before-pluto-rendezvous/

• Options
    Phew.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Oh man, I can't imagine being the guy/gal/team that missed this bug. And the relief they felt when they realised that it was fixable.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Oh man, I can't imagine being the guy/gal/team that missed this bug. And the relief they felt when they realised that it was fixable.

Given they've had bugs which flat out destroyed probes...yeah definitely a relief. Especially now. Losing a few days right now sucks but nothing compared to losing the flyby

Though I imagine the flyby will suffer a bit still. Less time to refine things, have to rejuggle the schedule..

• Options
    Not just destroyed.
    Smacked it straight into the planet they were aiming for.
    Whoops.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

Given they've had bugs which flat out destroyed probes...yeah definitely a relief. Especially now. Losing a few days right now sucks but nothing compared to losing the flyby

Though I imagine the flyby will suffer a bit still. Less time to refine things, have to rejuggle the schedule..

nah

it's not like the glitch suddenly changed how fast or slow it was going, or in what direction.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah I read that the glitch hadn't caused any direct propulsion issues and that no vector changes were required during the down time. I think the only thing they missed was a couple of none essential (i.e. nothing to do with the flyby plotting) data acquirements.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/philaes-comet-may-host-alien-life-astronomers-150706.htm

So what's the likelihood that there's actually life on this thing? And does Philae have the equipment necessary to defintively detect if there is life on the comet?

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's pretty unlikely, given the chances of life getting into or evolving in that particular chunk of junk in the first place, and then surviving (millions of? billions of?) years of travel through space and all the delicious radiation therein.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    http://news.discovery.com/space/asteroids-meteors-meteorites/philaes-comet-may-host-alien-life-astronomers-150706.htm

So what's the likelihood that there's actually life on this thing? And does Philae have the equipment necessary to defintively detect if there is life on the comet?

Very slim.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    At first I was disappointed that a creationist of all things got me worked up about life on a comet. But that article is pretty cool so it's all good. I had no idea you could grow carbon like that.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    edited July 2015

Very slim.

I knew it was BS as soon as I saw the name Wickramasinghe. That guy is a fucking hack.

The relevant part:

He’s said that the flu comes from space. He’s said SARS comes from space. He’s claimed living cells found in the stratosphere come from space. (There is no evidence at all they do, and it’s far more likely they are terrestrial.) He’s said a weird red rain in India was from space (when it’s been shown conclusively that it isn’t). The list goes on and on. Wickramasinghe jumps on everything, with little or no evidence, and says it’s from outer space, so I think there's a case to be made for a bias on his part. -- Phil Plait

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    http://journalofcosmology.com/
    why is it that all the nutjobs are stuck in Netscape era webpages?

This discussion has been closed.