As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    We should have an official Rust night.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    @That Guy‌ was waiting on some hardware I think for his RUST server he is interested in setting up. I think he is also waiting until it comes along a bit more. I can't wait to give the refresher a go.

• Options
    zwayhowderzwayhowder SydneyRegistered User regular
    I am definitely keen for some more Rust, I was so bored yesterday I renewed my WoW subscription for the first time in about 4 years.

Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I need my laptop working again first, but more Rust is good!

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    It's been too long since I've seen your dongs.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    sweaty dongs waving
    like fleshy flags in the wind
    we salute your rocks

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I was playing on a pub server the other day and ran across a recreation of the Pre-9/11 World Trade Plaza in NY. I came up on it just as dawn was breaking. It was kind of beautiful. They recreated the entire plaza, but I got killed before I could capture any more screens.
    SnwKEbk.jpg
    WhbiAKY.jpg

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I haven't played since February but I'm interested in giving the new build a whirl. I tried a couple of lives on a facepunch texas server but always got PK'd before I could get above a stone hatchet.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dev update from the 16th: http://steamcommunity.com/games/252490/announcements/detail/142195487074244326

Radtowns and Blueprints

Mass Drops

We've had a long standing problem with mass drops on our servers. After about 50 people have joined, and after a few hours, every few minutes everyone on the server would drop out.

This turned out to be a problem with how Lidgren (our low level network library) recycles packets. The list of packets was growing that large at times that it was affecting performance of the network thread - which periodically stalled and stopped sending out data, causing clients to eventually give up and disconnect.

This is another one of those bugs that we've been chasing our tail on for a long time unsure whether it was something we were doing or a ddos attack. It could have probably been avoided completely by using a tried and tested networking library from the start.. but I guess this is how network libraries become tried and tested.

Missing Lock Weirdness

This is a tricky one to explain, so I'm not going to bother. Sometimes on the client locks that we on doors weren't actually showing on the door, they'd show at the center of the world instead. And sometimes when saving we'd lose the fact that the lock was attached to the door. This meant that when loading that save the lock would stay on the door but the door didn't know it was there so didn't use it. Meaning anyone could open the door.

This is fixed. Finally.

New Jacket

Xavier got a bunch of new jackets in. For now we've only put one in the game because we don't have UI to handle reskins yet, but there's a lot of verirty there for the future.

Assault Rifle

Paul, Tom, Goosey and Helk have got the assault rifle in game. It's an AK47, but I don't think we're calling it that in game for some reason. Maybe because it's got a shovel handle.

Bear Trap

Will kill animals and players, should be fun to see how this plays out with base defense, eventually it’ll actually trap things instead of kill them but lets see how this plays out, corpses of any object that trip it will stick around for quite a while so you can revisit your traps and see what they caught!

Airdrop Fixed

The airdrop was dropping an impotent package right in the middle of the map. The package it drops is now potent, and it drops it somewhere randomly on the map.

The package also has higher value loot than can be found in the other loot spots, and you don't have to pay for it.

Blueprints

Like legacy, you now start with the limited ability to craft items. You need to find and study blueprints to be able to craft new items. We're still tweaking which blueprints you start with and which you have to find so please let us know.

The blueprint data is decoupled from the map save data. So if your server administrator likes, he can wipe the map but keep your blueprint states. In the future I want to look at making the way this data is saved my available to server mods so server providers with multiple servers can share blueprint/player data between them.

Radtowns

Let me start by saying that this is all placeholder art. We got a bunch of models from the asset store and put them together. We're figuring out what works and what makes sense using this placeholder art before fully committing to creating our own art. We want more internals, we want you to be able to enter any building you see.

The towns work very much like in legacy. There's buildings, there's respawning loot, there's radiation.

Things might look a bit weird initially because we're still experimenting with telling the procedural system how and where to place these, and to modify the terrain around them so they look like they've been there for a long time. We have big ideas for Radtowns.

Random Loot Barrels

This is a bit of a placeholder which will be replaced/removed once we have more loot spawning monuments. Around the map you'll find barrels spawn randomly. Break them to get their contents which can be items or blueprints.

This is part of the radtown strategy to give people more of a purpose to roam the island, and make it possible to acquire new blueprints. They won't be barrels forever.

Everything Else

Aiming down the sight provides a recoil reduction, crouching further reduces recoil, weapons have higher recoil in general now
    Bolt rifle now has no aimcone - bullet goes where you aim + gravity
    Fixed player corpses not spewing their contents when destroyed
    Fixed bug where lootables could become permanently occupied
    Fixed code lock not displaying its status in the world
    Fixed unducking when opening menu
    Tweaked how positions were updated over the network - clients should get more up to date information now

Linux

Many apologies to the linux guys. There's a bug currently affecting the current Unity 5 Beta that is causing a crash on startup. Hopefully this will be fixed in next week's update, all we can do right now is apologise and let you know we are thinking about you.

Summary

An awesome week. We're really flying now, making some great progress. The game is definitely fun to play again right now. When we aren't getting EAC and Steam Auth Timeouts the servers are performant and stable - even with 200 players. This is all awesome.

Next week, bug fixes and balancing. I'm aiming to replace all of the old UI with new stuff, because we've been putting up with this shitty stacking/splitting system for long enough. And damage, drowning, on fire and bleeding overlays, so you know when bad things are happening to your body.

• Options
  • Options
    Yeah, this is starting to sound almost to the level it was at when we were all playing it. Definitely need to jump back in again.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    If some of you folks test the waters and determine that yes, it is time, what should we do about getting a server again?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I feel like its still pretty rough but if you all get a server going I'll join.

• Options
    I played for a while last night. Barrel looting is pretty fun. Got some good equipment out of them last night. Got a full set of good clothes and a bunch of armor. Need to figure out what to do with the empty tuna cans.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    That_Guy and I have a sweet setup in the works. Any other PA'ers wanna help?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Started with a 10x10 base. Built up one and in one until I had a 2x2 space, then started building the spire. The entire structure just past 100 meters before the server went down. I hope it comes back soon. I was just standing in a field.

Edit: My plan is to build the spire up another 100 meters and try to build out. If this were a real building, I should be able to get the top as wide as the base. Given the limitations of Rust, I am not sure that is how the stability system even works. I am shooting for something kind of like the Seattle Space Needle.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'd be willing to give it a shot sometime, Rust has been on my hard drive for a long time. Never saw a reason to uninstall it!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    What is the server info

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Shogun wrote: »
    What is the server info

"! | TCO CHICAGO"

Page 4 of the community servers when you sort by server name.

edit: client.connect 216.231.140.78:28035

Yall on
  • Options
    Alright you guys have convinced me, I'm jumping on tonight. Maybe I'll even do a little streaming session.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sadly, we may need to find a more stable server.

EDIT: I'd even be willing to host one, but I would need some people to help admin.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I have been playing on this server for a few months now. It's normally pretty stable. The patch yesterday was the cause of the issues we were seeing. I would imagine it will be fixed soon enough.

Edit: Looks like it might have wiped this morning. :bigfrown: Will probably be on this evening to start anew

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Yeah, I tried jumping into that server and there was almost nothing there. No buildings, people, nothing. Also, no water apparently? Eh?

That said, this being my first time jumping in for a while, I'm very impressed with how it's coming along. The graphics and performance are miles ahead of where the original version. Lots of little touches that make it better, like having rocks and trees actually chip down and disappear after you've been hacking away at them for a while, or showing visible veins of ore inside certain rocks so you can immediately see what you might get out of that rock. Seems like something I could actually play regularly again for the most part.

Hopefully I'll have more time tonight and can really dig into it. Any of you guys gonna be on?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I would like to be around for a bit of RUST any time this weekend.

edit: wow my fps has fallen off the table in this game D:

edit 2: Sooo if I set the settings to Fastest in windowed mode the game runs crazy high fps and looks shit. Any other setting and it chugs.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Dicked around on a couple of servers. There is apparently a bug right now making water invisible, that's joyous. I'd say the game feels more fun, but on the other hand the now randomized map does take away some of the charm of knowing where places are. However it also gave some neat terrain, like snow-capped mountains.

The game looks nice, especially the lighting... No longer will a fire actually disperse its welcoming orange glow beyond walls, only if you leave a door open or have a window will it show up.

My one complaint is sometimes animals will go into Turbo Mode and just... sprint/glitch across the map far faster than you can.

• Options
    At first I didn't care for the idea of randomized terrain, as I liked learning the layout of the map in the original and figuring out where the "good" spots were for bases and drops and stuff.

But, that also often times led to stronger players (or just ones with much more time on their hands) holding these points for themselves and essentially taking over entire servers. With this new bit of randomization, every server is different, so this isn't really as much of an issue. I feel like it will really even the playing field a bit, which was badly needed.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Out bowling now, since whacking away at a rock online doesn't count as legitimate physical activity.

I'll be on later tonight, and probably a bunch tomorrow as well.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I will definitely be checking this out again, I quite enjoyed this game last time around. Getting called a hacker because you're just good at evading people in the rocks was super fun and thrilling.

• Options
    I'm not gonna lie though, a little annoying that you can't make a bow/arrows unless you find the blueprints for them.

• Options
    Who needs a bow and arrow when you can make a SPEAR?

It's stabby time, fellas.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I'd be willing to mess around with it a bit tonight, feel free to add me on Steam.

• Options
    On now if anyone wants to come help.

• Options
    I may be able to get on for a little bit soon, but if not I'll definitely be joining around 5:00 PM Central.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The other server listed above is down. Here is the server we are playing on. Just hit f1 at the main menu and paste this in

client.connect 216.231.139.6:28015

We are hanging out in the snow biome across the pond from the satellite dish. Ive got a megatower started. Just hit 150 meters before I logged off.

• Options
    Alright, I'm going to be streaming myself playing this for the next hour or so. I have no idea where anyone is, so we'll see what happens!

http://www.twitch.tv/bigdook/

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    What are we using to chat?

• Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    What are we using to chat?

teamspeaaakkkkkkk

get on

• Options
    Hmm, so I guess it's pretty much impossible to find your house again if you die.

Granted, I died in a very stupid way, but it'd be nice to make my way back. Ah well, it was only like 30 minutes lost so that isn't too bad.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    How did you guys make out last night after one of you accidentally chopped me in half? :p

• Options
    Well @Yall‌ the guy in the building we ran into apparently had a Thompson. Nice thing was he couldn't even hit us, or maybe was just wasting bullets trying to intimidate the three of us. Had to run back to base in the middle of the night, that was... a thing.