As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Monday's patch is going to be a good one.

http://playrust.com/devblog-46/

The pieces of this games are coming together quite nicely. I think Rust is the best example of what early access is capable of producing.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    I'm excited about the new way wall damage works. So who is playing where? Safety in numbers

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »
    I'd like to say that being able to bring down a stone reinforced wall so easily is a little bunk.

It was by no means easy and the base was rather poorly constructed. It allowed the raiders to build up enough to jump onto the rock it was placed on. They ended up going after a wooden wall to break in. I tried to defend the place for a good half an hour while they had one guy working on breaking shit down. They started breaking into the wrong building before realizing the good stuff was in the main part. Since they were already up on the rock, all they had to do was chop down a wooden wall to gain access to the main tool cupboard and start busting things up from there.

My water base has taken everything learned from the last base. I would dare to call it infeasible to break into. Anyone looking to get in via a water entrance will be met with 100% submerged security doors. The bottom floor is at a level in the water so that you can't climb up to stand on. Even if they were able to break down an exterior wall from the water, they would not be able to actually get into the base. The only viable route is the double decker bridge I built. The lower level is completely enclosed. The top level is is railing. I will probably be enclosing that too, at some point. Half way along the bridge I have a 2 story gatehouse protecting the top and bottom levels with 2 security doors each. Each level has it's own tool cupboard. The top level of the bridge ends at yet another security door. Should they breach that or any of the walls immediately adjacent to that they will be trapped in a 2 story killbox. There are barred windows on each side providing easy pickings for anyone standing up there. If an attacker takes the lower level, they will be in the partially submerged airlock level. This is solely for entrances from underwater. They will see several security doors, the middle one being the only one the leads further into the base. Another security door protects the first level. Should they survive the killing floor on the main level entrance, they will still have another security door to get through. Anything valuable is behind yet another security door.

The best part is that I don't have anything worth stealing right now. All of my time has gone into building the base.

I haven't played this game since they got rid of the zombies, but this post has has awakened a desire in me to build forts.

I was too much of a carebear to shoot first in the wild when I last played this game (although I shot last a fair number of times). Exacting revenge via a deathtraps sounds right up my alley.

edit:
    I am unfamiliar with the building mechanics in this game (I had a shed the last time I played), but the video of those twig walls looks like they might be useful in some defensive traps. Particularly twig floors that can be safely shot out by defenders so that assailants fall into spikes, a lethal drop, or some kind of reinforced drowning/starvation pit.

Or maybe more normal looking floors that are supported by twig supporting walls out of sight or something. I just love the idea of that. Bad guys banging on the door thinking nobody's home. No obvious murder holes in the walls to force them to be on their guard (or that they can potential use to shoot back at the defenders). Then suddenly they all fall to their deaths because the defender casually walked downstairs and shot the floor's weak point from complete safety.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Monday's patch is going to be a good one.

http://playrust.com/devblog-46/

The pieces of this games are coming together quite nicely. I think Rust is the best example of what early access is capable of producing.

Psh, whatevs.

They gave us a stupid fun game out of the box and then used the money they made to make the game better in pretty much every aspect.

I don't know what planet you live on but this obviously makes them the worst devs ever and were clearly deceiving players!

I want a refund!!!!111!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Look, if a man sitting at a chair looking at a computer screen looking at dongs while hitting trees with a rock with his electronic man while hoping like hell nobody nearby has a sharp stick - I don't know what people want in video games.

EDIT: Hoooly crap watch that shotgun demolish that twig building.

Bigity on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Twig buildings aren't gonna be very durable, huh?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Reading about them on the dev blog, it sounds like they were made super weak by design. It's basically not meant to be used to build anything permanent, but rather to sort of "blueprint" what you want to eventually build. Lay everything out the way you want with twigs, easily tearing down walls and rebuilding and stuff when needed, and then when it's ready you replace the twig structures with more permanent ones.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think I'd trust twigs to even keep out wildlife.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Does the new version of Rust let you just build over things like that?

Or would you have to dismantle each part and replace it as you go?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Sounded like you'll have to knock them out as you go. Probably one smack with a hatchet will do it from the way it looks in the vids.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Why would you ever smack it with anything when you can right-click with the hammer and demolish it?

Guess I'm not seeing the point, probably doesn't use hardly any wood.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I think that is the point. Very few resources needed to build, very easy to knock down and replace. They're placeholders basically.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Why would you ever smack it with anything when you can right-click with the hammer and demolish it?

Guess I'm not seeing the point, probably doesn't use hardly any wood.
    Because smashing things is fun.

I think the point is to basically test out your design for a new structure on a 1:1 scale for ultra cheap.

But I still want to build a building with some ultra fragile twig floors over a deathtrap. Attackers knocking at the gates? Shoot out the floor from safety.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    That...is an awesome idea. Throw down some fire or exploding things after them.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I think that is the point. Very few resources needed to build, very easy to knock down and replace. They're placeholders basically.

No need, you can upgrade them to wood with the hammer.

Looks like our normal server is down, but I found another decent one with friendly mods that frown upon griefing (I.e. Completely destroying a base instead of just raiding).

But if TCO comes back up, I'd switch back too. In reality I'd like to get on a populated server with about 5-10 of us from here as a group.

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    That...is an awesome idea. Throw down some fire or exploding things after them.

Or just build up high enough and have the segment with the disposable floor be over a lethal drop.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    We should put some sharks down at the bottom of the drop too. Just because.

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    If someone settles on a server post it and I'll start playing there instead of my old one. The guys I were playing with on there have kind of dropped off and going solo ALL the time sucks.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    If someone settles on a server post it and I'll start playing there instead of my old one. The guys I were playing with on there have kind of dropped off and going solo ALL the time sucks.

@rockmonkey we're on the "Ontario" server. I'll try and post the details when I get home.

edit:
    108.61.118.57:28016

Yall on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    New patch, but it's bugged. You can't drop anything.

Edit: And it's hotfixed. That was fast. I am liking the new patch day.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Patching on Thursday is probably the perfect day. It gives you an entire day to issue hotfixes before the weekend and the developers might get to see their families during daylight hours.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Anyone up for some rust tonight? New patch just hit.
    http://playrust.com/devblog-51/
    You might be black now!

Edit: Playing on the Rust-Ontario server. In the console paste in

Client.Connect 74.91.113.27:49035

That_Guy on
  • Options
    zwayhowderzwayhowder SydneyRegistered User regular
    I've just jumped on the Ontario server for a play around. Looks like things are improving, though food and cloth is hard to come by.

Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • Options
    I have a reinforced base atop a mountain that I have been working on for a few weeks. Its been raided a few times as I have built it up, but I think I have it hardened enough to make entry a rather pricey affair. Someone tried to take down one of my walls, but only got it about halfway down before giving up. I discovered that you can place code locks on chests. It's just another layer between me and the hostile world.

• Options
    After 6 attempts I finally stayed alive long enough to hunt enough boars/wolves/deer/chicken to make low grade fuel and a bow. Setup my house (Mostly stone) with a furnace and finally thought I was progressing. Then a kevlar wearing, ak47 wielding maniac broke down my door and killed me, the last thing I saw was him destroying my sleeping bag. Argh. I forgot how much this game sucks solo.

Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • Options
    Yeah, it took me a while to get setup. Thanks to the new cold mechanics, building up on a mountain is proving to be somewhat safer than on the ground. I found a nice little rut towards the top of a mountain to stake my claim.

Rezing at my sleeping bag in the middle of the night after being raided was a frightening experience. -10 cold and I almost died before I could find my way to ground level. I have enough resources saved up to kit out a few guys with urban cloth gear and revolvers. We could probably go raiding some evening and pick up some better hardware.

• Options
    I finally have a 1X1 armoured shack, built in a copse of trees so it's practically impossible to see until you're right on top of it. One advantage of connecting from Australia. I could log in last night when everyone else was asleep and hunt in peace.

Zway
  • Options
    One of these days I am going to fill my inventory with snap traps and run around the map putting them in the odd bush or dark corner.

• Options
    How do you split stacks anyway, can't figure it out for the life of me.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Bigity wrote: »
    How do you split stacks anyway, can't figure it out for the life of me.

Set the slider to your desired ratio. Click and drag the pie chart to take a split. It took me a while to figure that out.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Ah, I wouldn't have ever guessed you dragged the pie chart. Lol, thanks.

• Options
    People on the Ontario server are saying there is a wipe tomorrow?

We want to try to coordinate and get in the same place and build?

• Options
    I think I'm going to find a no sleeper server. I don't play enough to not be robbed blind every time I log on.

• Options
    I've got a pretty solid base now (fingers crossed) it's on top of a rock so only people I've authorised can get up there easily, armoured and stone, and slowly getting armoured everywhere. Plenty of room now to go up in 3X3 floors. It helps I may have been logged on from the last wipe and there was a lot of metal to be mined.

Zway
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @Bigity If you're not entrenched on another server let me know. I'm happy to share the base.

zwayhowder on
    Zway
  • Options
    I'm down for getting with a group of PA'ers. What server are you guys on?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    zwayhowder wrote: »
    @Bigity If you're not entrenched on another server let me know. I'm happy to share the base.

I think it's up in another post. I have taken some time off of Rust because it was irritating the crap out of me as a solo player :) If we get a group of PA folks I'll re-install :pop:

Here is server info. It would never stay in favorites for me so I always had to do this or go to History.

Edit: Playing on the Rust-Ontario server. In the console paste (F1 at menu I think) in

Client.Connect 74.91.113.27:49035

Bigity on
  • Options
    @yall has the code for the building and permission to build. It's a rock base so needs an elevator to get up there. I'll be on a plane for a few hours but should be back online later today. Help yourself to anything in the base, if you feel like farming we need more cloth, wood, stone, ore and ak47s.

There is a good map here: http://map.playrust.io/?Procedural Map_4800_39985376#Rust-Ontario.ca | Active Admins | TS | Wiped 04/30

Zway
  • Options
    The most recent update seems to have broken Rust on OSX and trying to play in VMware on my 13" MBP is like watching a slideshow. I won't be back for a few days I suspect.

Zway
  • Options
    That's ok because this is a shit week for me; lots of yard work, band practice, family coming into town, a fucking yard sale, and to top it off I have a second interview and suspect I'm getting an offer, which means I need to get my shit in order at my current job.

Smashing trees with a rock is sadly a much lower priority right now. :P