As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    zwayhowder wrote: »
    @yall has the code for the building and permission to build. It's a rock base so needs an elevator to get up there. I'll be on a plane for a few hours but should be back online later today. Help yourself to anything in the base, if you feel like farming we need more cloth, wood, stone, ore and ak47s.

There is a good map here: http://map.playrust.io/?Procedural Map_4800_39985376#Rust-Ontario.ca | Active Admins | TS | Wiped 04/30
    This game has elevators now? Cool.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    zwayhowderzwayhowder SydneyRegistered User regular
    I've never seen someone so unhappy to be getting a new job :)

Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular

I've never seen someone so unhappy to be getting a new job :)

Ha! Yeah definitely didn't mean to come off that way, it can just be a stressful process. Truth be told I'm champing at the bit to get it. I only wish it was happening in August so I could wrap up my major project. Oh well.

Regarding the "elevator" it's not really an elevator per se, but rather a means to get up to higher bases. Basically you have a foundation and build blocks on it, jumping on each block before building the next to lift yourself up.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Oh, so it's like in minecraft where you just stack stuff under yourself.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    With rocket launchers added to the game, not even rocktop bases are safe anymore. At least they can only fuck your shit up and not actually get anything.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    It takes like 5 rockets to get through metal walls I think?

I need to get on I guess and get myself up to the base. I can at least mine some basic crap while looking for barrels with blueprints.

• Options
    Fortunately most players would rather raid a base than just grief someone.

I worked out our 3X3 base needs 15,000 frags per level to armour it and go up another level.

Zway
    3DS - 3669-0094-2458 || WiiU/Steam/PSN zwayhowder || XboX lujjan || Untappd zwayhowder
  • Options
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438509083

I've just about finished armouring the current base. That was enough resources for 20 wall upgrades.

Zway
  • Options
    Nice. I might be able to get on later today. We'll see...

• Options
    Ugh...

I spent 30 minutes looking for ore, barrels, animals, anything really.

Found one horse, 1 barrel, and no rocks.

• Options
    It looks like the server gets wiped every 3 weeks or so, sometimes more frequently as wipe inducing updates are fairly common. The next wipe is Thursday. I hope to be on all day to get a base started again.

Zway
  • Options
    There have been a consistent 10 rocks spawning around the base every 8 hours or so, and 3 barrels, nothing useful though.

The base doesn't need to get better if there is a wipe coming, I've taken to spawning randomly and barrel hunting until I get killed, trying to get all the BPs as the wipes don't affect BPs.

Zway
  • Options
    There have been a consistent 10 rocks spawning around the base every 8 hours or so, and 3 barrels, nothing useful though.

The base doesn't need to get better if there is a wipe coming, I've taken to spawning randomly and barrel hunting until I get killed, trying to get all the BPs as the wipes don't affect BPs.

I'll probably do a bit of that today.

• Options
    I've put a whole large wooden box's worth of blueprints upstairs. No guns unfortunately, but the ammo and lots of handy things.

I should be available for most of today if anyone needs to get in and cram some BPs.

Zway
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    BPs got wiped on the Ontario server :bigfrown:

Sucks, but with all of the changes I'm not surprised.

• Options
    I am really liking the latest balance pass they did on buildings. It feels right for me. Once you get upgraded to stone, you can't just bust in with a couple of pickaxes. It's takes a real commitment of time and resources to get into someone's base now. That means dinky little stone 4x4s probably aren't going to be worth the effort of breaking into.

• Options
    Decent server:

74.91.115.202:28015

|Wipe 7/3|RustStorm|2x|ActiveAdmins|Insta|TP|Events|Remove|

• Options
    Being able to slap a code lock on a storage chest is the best thing in the world. I set up shop next to a rad town. Im not even bothering to de-rad myself because I have a code locked storage chest and a sleeping bag right there.

• Options
    I forgot all about that. Makes raiding almost worthless though, right? Or can you break them open?

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I have been playing on a pretty great server. It doesn't wipe very often. It's PVP, but most people won't attack you on sight. There's a very active admin and he does regular events. I have a couple of small bases setup.

45.58.125.162:11417

That_Guy on
  • Options
    vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    Any chance any of you guys are still playing? I have been playing of random servers and I think I am ready to come in from the cold and find a group of people to roll with.

• Options
    vhannroy wrote: »
    Any chance any of you guys are still playing? I have been playing of random servers and I think I am ready to come in from the cold and find a group of people to roll with.

I just got off a rust bender of a few months. I watched a really great rust server rise to the top of the server rankings and slowly die off over a month. If you find a good server, I might be interested in setting up shop with you.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    vhannroy wrote: »

I just got off a rust bender of a few months. I watched a really great rust server rise to the top of the server rankings and slowly die off over a month. If you find a good server, I might be interested in setting up shop with you.

i just started a new server. there is a 50 person cap so nothing crazy but if anyone wants in it is "907 Gamers Alaska Alternative"

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Edit: 104.207.149.151:28056

Damn, getting really bad ping.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Anyone seen or tried this game yet? Very Rust-esque.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393420

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So... I think the game must have had a very BAD patch or something cause running normally I'd get warnings about how much memory it uses and in trying the Directx9 client... it crashed. Had to restart my PC and it somehow removed my wallpaper.

Weird.

And yeah I've been eyeing Hurtworld.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    So... I think the game must have had a very BAD patch or something cause running normally I'd get warnings about how much memory it uses and in trying the Directx9 client... it crashed. Had to restart my PC and it somehow removed my wallpaper.

Weird.

And yeah I've been eyeing Hurtworld.

Unless your PCis pretty old, you want to be using the dx11 option.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'd have figured it would be less intensive, not make my machine have a fit. And yeah far from old, played Witcher 3 fine.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Thanks to my daughter deciding she wants to play minecraft all the time, I've gotten the bug to play Rust again. I tried playing on some rando server but meh.

The current version is great, though. It's past where the previous iteration was before they started building the new game, in terms of content and such.

It'd be rad to get enough PA interest again to get a server going. Is there any chance that could occur?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    I remember playing on the legacy PA server and I don't think that had much more than 10-15 people at primetime. obviously other randos could log on, but on the new, much bigger procedural maps having only ~20 peak players can make for a very sparse and empty server, especially if people would want to run a PA clan.

naysaying aside I'd probably play, the rust population is generally the scum of the earth and it'd be nice to play a server with some class.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    I remember playing on the legacy PA server and I don't think that had much more than 10-15 people at primetime. obviously other randos could log on, but on the new, much bigger procedural maps having only ~20 peak players can make for a very sparse and empty server, especially if people would want to run a PA clan.

naysaying aside I'd probably play, the rust population is generally the scum of the earth and it'd be nice to play a server with some class.

That latter part is the thing, primarily.

Is there no way to set a maximum size when you set up a server? I know nothing about rust servers; it just seems like it would make sense, procedural or not, to allow some level of bounds for map size.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    All maps are the same size. I've clocked a few hours on some servers hovering around the 50-60 player mark and they aren't bad, but having a group of 10-15 would be a solid presence on the server.

I would love to play with a group again. The game is all but unplayable solo these days.

Zway
  • Options
    When setting up a server using the procedural map, you can pick from a range of sizes.

• Options
    I wouldn't playing some more, and we could use Discord for chat/comms if nobody has TeamSpeak - it allows persistent chat that might be useful for folks without a mic.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    If it's truly past where the legacy build had been, I'd be willing to give it another shot. My main problem is that I can't play consistently. I'll often be away for work for weeks at a time, so I couldn't do any kind of regular sessions. But if you guys start getting into it again, I'll try to jump on when I can.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    If it's truly past where the legacy build had been, I'd be willing to give it another shot. My main problem is that I can't play consistently. I'll often be away for work for weeks at a time, so I couldn't do any kind of regular sessions. But if you guys start getting into it again, I'll try to jump on when I can.

That's my problem too - playing solo, I just don't have to time to keep anything from becoming destroyed/looted, much less make things bigger/better.

• Options
    Just set up another server. It is called AK modded... has a few mods but nothing crazy. low decay and I an sure if you built something and took a break for a day or 2 it would not get rick rolled as it is a new server.