As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So, who wants to show me to the PA settlement? I'm on for a little longer tonight.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    Can anyone craft 4 slot BARs or is the number of slots a random thing when you craft one?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your side of the story, OMalley. I was the guy who came in with @Minor Incident to watch the pitfight. That was pretty hilarious to watch. I have screenshots but I can't really post them because of dongs and butts. I can say that MI fought like a real hobo scavenger, finally going down to an arrow in the throat I think it was. I'll be sure to come by soon, grease up with bear fat and get in the ring.

• Options
    OMalleyNymOMalleyNym Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Also I may have spoke to soon about Shankerz, I thought I could discourage him from playing and turn him away from the server, but he is persistent. So if he is banned that is Pieman's call, I did however tell him he needed to chill out and essentially stop being as much of an ass as he has been and he agreed, so there's that.

I don't actually know him in person, so I really have no idea what he will do.

In response to cmsamo, slot roles are completely random.

OMalleyNym on
    Planetes Discord: https://discord.gg/NJHFGcc
  • Options
    cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    OMalleyNym wrote: »
    Also I may have spoke to soon about Shankerz, I thought I could discourage him from playing and turn him away from the server, but he is persistent. So if he is banned that is Pieman's call, I did however tell him he needed to chill out and essentially stop being as much of an ass as he has been and he agreed, so there's that.

I don't actually know him in person, so I really have no idea what he will do.

In response to cmsamo, slot roles are completely random.

In that case be a good chap and bring that looted BAR with silencer and holo scope back to the place where you shot us all, and leave it nicely gift wrapped out in the open? You'll do that, right? :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Thanks to taco's generous donation of a hatchet I am halfway to the construction of a furnace! Progress!

I still think pigs are a myth though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, I whipped up some censorship.

dongfight_zpsb32ff00c.jpg

Deathsport. In all of its naked, sweaty glory.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Thanks to taco's generous donation of a hatchet I am halfway to the construction of a furnace! Progress!

Nah, there are loads around, they just turn into bears when you get close to them though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I preemptively added a metal door to Kittenlord's building down in the valley. It's still unfinished, but he's going to have to "share" with us if he wants to finish it. There is another fully finished shack with a metal door right down the hill between the metal base and Kittenlords construction. If no one owns up to it in the next 18 hours or so, it should be destroyed tomorrow night as a precaution.

• Options
    Well, after building up a small arsenal, I decided to hike across the map to be closer to the main PA settlement. Unfortunately a big red zombie caught me from behind and I died. And lost 90% of all the goodies I had collected. All gone by the time I hiked back. And then I died of starvation while wandering around looking for the PA building to take refuge in.

Such is life in Rust.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    So there are areas where items are just lying around right? I just stumbled across a structure that has no walls or roof or anything. It is just a foundation and four wooden pillars. There was a sleeping bag, a firepit, and multiple boxes that were all filled with various stuff. And I took all that stuff. Was that someone's massive horde just sitting out in the open, or is stuff like that always there?

Also I can work the crafting menu and I've made various crap but how do I plop it down?

• Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    cmsamo wrote: »
    Can anyone craft 4 slot BARs or is the number of slots a random thing when you craft one?

It's entirely random. I have gotten a P250 with 5 slots on it. There aren't even 5 weapon mods in the game.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Great. Now we can't use this thread for coordinating movement and base building. Just another thing that bacon has ruined.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Great. Now we can't use this thread for coordinating movement and base building. Just another thing that bacon has ruined.

It's not like you were doing that anyways. Besides generalities there's nothing of interest tactically in this thread.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping that was tongue in cheek. We can use the steam group for secret crap if needed.

PA Forums aren't exactly an unknown ya dig?

Bacon, glad to hear your side.

I'm also glad to see the server hopping, we had what, 22 people on at one point last night? Ratchets up the tension of going zombie hunting or after airdrops. Good stuff.

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Hah, I still need to catch someone online to give me permission to open the new doors in woodbase. I logged in briefly last night but was stuck in my room. :p

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I think downer owns those? I see room for improvement in some of that side of things. A way to specify additional folks who can share doors would be nice.

I guess we need to create a group chat as well, unless there is reason to not have a handle on all our names?

• Options
    so i saw how group chat works for the first time last night. I don't think it should act as a clan tag. Also, I'm 90% certain I can remove the group indicateor from people's names in allchat

• Options
    BobstahBobstah Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I never planned in public. We can negotiate trades, but how we execute is private. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JunleaJunlea Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Lol. We saw you naked hitting that tree and I told Taco I'd have to come welcome you to rust the right way, he laughed and told me not to kill you. Couldn't resist at least unnerving you before throwing you a hatchet. Welcome to Rust.

Junlea :: Writer, Gamer, Bagel Fan
  • Options
    CousyCousy Registered User regular
    I love this game and this server.

Pieman - will today's update impact out server at all?

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I have so many other games to play. But I keep coming back to this one.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    So there are areas where items are just lying around right? I just stumbled across a structure that has no walls or roof or anything. It is just a foundation and four wooden pillars. There was a sleeping bag, a firepit, and multiple boxes that were all filled with various stuff. And I took all that stuff. Was that someone's massive horde just sitting out in the open, or is stuff like that always there?

Also I can work the crafting menu and I've made various crap but how do I plop it down?

You totally jacked their stash.

The way I see it is if it's out in the open, it's fair game. Stuff does spawn in the world though. You can find crates with loot in the ruins around the road area.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »

You totally jacked their stash.

The way I see it is if it's out in the open, it's fair game. Stuff does spawn in the world though. You can find crates with loot in the ruins around the road area.

it turns out it was a structure that had been decayed for four days. totes fair game in my opinion. I got a lot of good crap out of that as well. I need someone to craft me another metal pillar though. I think that is all I need for a shack.

• Options
    Is there a point to a metal door on a wooden building? I don't know much about blowing up people's houses, but can you tear down wood or does it need to be blown up with c4 like I hear metal does? Is metal more resistant than wood, or is that purely for being decay-proof?

• Options
    Is there a point to a metal door on a wooden building? I don't know much about blowing up people's houses, but can you tear down wood or does it need to be blown up with c4 like I hear metal does? Is metal more resistant than wood, or is that purely for being decay-proof?

Wooden doors can be hacked down with a hatchet. Metal doors require grenades or C4.

• Options
    Ohh, okay. What about walls then?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

I am pretty sure only c4 or decay can bring down wooden walls.

• Options
    There has been a patch and I cannot connect to pie in the sky.

• Options
    Plat0nicPlat0nic Registered User regular
    Good time to take a break and eat pie then...

• Options
    Patch Notes:
    Shared Doors
    You can now set a passcode on a door and share it with other people.
    Once they’ve entered the passcode they can open and close the door until you change it.
    This also works on gates.
    In addition, you can set a door to be unlocked so anyone can use it without a passcode.
    Grass Improvements
    Grass runs twice as fast as it used to
    Grass looks way better
    Grass shouldn’t flicker on ATI cards anymore (but let us know if it does)
    Grass has improved sound effects
    Beds & Bags
    Sleeping bags now reset the use timers of all your other sleeping bags in a 100m radius. This prevents base “zerging”
    Beds were added! – These can only be placed inside a house with a roof and act like the old sleeping bags did
    Other changes and fixes
    added vsync option
    rcon now receives msgid 4 containing all console output
    opening boxes no longer resets decay – old things should actually disappear now
    added hud indication so you know when you’re voice chatting
    fixed exploit where mouse sensitivity reduced weapon sway
    added a delay to repairing objects after they have been damaged
    metal structures now need metal to repair instead of wood
    fixed random headshot sound that would happen when shooting near the top of inanimate objects
    camp fire particles are no longer visible at long range (should help with performance)
    you can only repair something 5 seconds after it last took damage

• Options
    Cousy wrote: »
    I love this game and this server.

Pieman - will today's update impact out server at all?

Just barely seeing the update.

Here's how updates usually work - it's never smooth or seamless:
    1. Facepunch releases update.
    2. Steam starts rolling out update.
    3. Server providers start updating and making it available to server customers to install or some just auto install the update for you (PITS is on the former)
    4. Mod developers start work on making their mods compatible with the new update.
    5. Sometime around this point regular players of rust start getting their clients updated depending on whether they have "keep this game up to date" checked or not and when Steam's CDN gets it to their region.
      updated clients can not play on servers which have not been updated which, at first, is most of the servers.

At this point I have two bad options:
      a. Update the server but leave mods turned off.
      b. Don't update the server until the mod developers release a compatible version leaving most clients unable to play.

6. Mod developers release a new version of their mods
    7. Server providers make the mod available to admins
    8. I install the Steam update, the mod update, test for plugin compatibility, remove plugins that have stopped working, test again and finally you guys get to play the new version of RUST

• Options

Wood doors and Wood Shelters(the craftable item, not something you've designed yoruself) can be taken down with hand tools, wood walls, metal doors and all other metal parts can be taken out only with explosives.

• Options
    goddamn pieman i had no idea you had to go to all that trouble for a single update. Isn't this game updated pretty frequently? I just got the game but I'm not gonna break balls as I got a pretty good start on accident this morning.

• Options
    The game gets updated about once a week. If you set rust to not update automatically then you'll be able to play on the PITS server during a patch day as your patched client won't become incompatible with the un-patched server.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Sounds like it's time for a wipe.

:#

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    could be - I haven't heard whether this update requires a wipe or not. If it does I may create a onetime starter kit with a significant amount of wood/metal in it or at least turn instacraft on for a while. to help people get back up and running again quickly.

Also, with the new door updates (which are completely awesome and blow away any mods version of doorsharing) I'll have a 1 day grace period where people can set passcodes on their shared doors and then I'll be removing the current doorshare mod.

• Options
    could be - I haven't heard whether this update requires a wipe or not. If it does I may create a onetime starter kit with a significant amount of wood/metal in it or at least turn instacraft on for a while. to help people get back up and running again quickly.

Also, with the new door updates (which are completely awesome and blow away any mods version of doorsharing) I'll have a 1 day grace period where people can set passcodes on their shared doors and then I'll be removing the current doorshare mod.

Yeah the new door sharing system is amazing.

• Options
    CousyCousy Registered User regular
    Can we hold off on removing the doorshare mod until the community at large gives feedback whether the passcode system is burdensome or not.

I fear that entering bases will be quite awful as the safest way to defend yourself against raids is a bunch of doors, and if each of those doors has a passcode you have to enter; it's going to be really tedious.

Obviously you're in charge so it's your call, but I'd wait a few days and see how it's going before removing the mod.

• Options
    If you read the update carefully it says, "Once they’ve entered the passcode they can open and close the door until you change it."

This makes me think that you enter the passcode the first time you open the door, and then it behaves just like a door without a passcode for you.