As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Lakor, too, gets some shut eye for the evening. Making his way down in the morning for a hot cup of tea and breakfast, he glances over the main room to see who else is awake this early in the morning.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    @mallenellam‌ where are you at with your character? I'd like to get rolling again soon.

Denada on
  • Options
    mallenellammallenellam Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yep, here is most of him. I will finish the few minor details tonight:

Name: Talaasson Sharondalan
    Race: High Elf
    Class: Ranger (Beastmaster)
    Level: 4
    Background: Guide
    Favored Enemy: Ogre

Ability Scores:
    STR: 10 (0)
    CON: 14 (+2)
    DEX: 18 (+4)
    INT: 12 (+1)
    WIS: 14 (+2)
    CHA: 8 (-1)

AC: 16

Initiative: +4

Health:
    HP: 40 (Level 1: 12, Level 2: 7, Level 3: 12, Level 4: 9)
    Hit Dice: 4 HD (1d10+2)

Proficiencies:
    Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Saving Throws:
    Armor: Light, Medium, Shields
    Weapons: All Simple, Martial Weapons
    Tools: None
    Skills: Climb, jump, recall lore (subterranean lore), sneak, spot, and swim
    Resistance: Charm and Immune to Sleep

Senses: Darkvision - 60ft
    Keen Senses
    Fey Ancestry
    Trance
    Feats: Track
    Racial Proficiencies: long & short swords and bows
    Racial Cantrip - True Strike
    Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elvish, Giant

Speed: 35 ft.

Known/Prepared Spells:
    Cantrips: True Strike
    Level 1: Animal Friendship, Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud, Goodberry, Hunter’s Mark, Longstrider
    Level 1 Slots: 3

Equipment: Dragon leather armor, rapier, longbow, quiver, 60 arrows, a belt pouch containing 34 gp
    and 4 sp, and an adventurer’s kit consisting of a backpack, a healer’s kit, a mess kit, 50 feet of hempen
    rope, a tinderbox, ten torches, ten days of rations, and a waterskin

Melee Basic Attack:
    Attack: 1d20 +6
    Damage: 1d8 +4

Ranged Basic Attack:
    Attack: 1d20+8
    Damage: 1d6+4

Spell Attacks:
    Attack: 1d20
    Spell DC Save: 13

mallenellam on
  • Options
    Sorry about the delay. I had a busy weekend. I'll try to get us going again today.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Yes! Beginning the countdown to needing a new character now!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I would hope no one ever gives you a hard time for not releasing free entertainment faster. That would be the height of entitlement.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    MORNING

The mayor and the blacksmith meet you in the inn's common room after breakfast. Given the urgency of the problem and the apparent danger of the monsters lurking in the barrow, they've agreed to give you any help they can. To that end, they've brought some items for you.

There's not much in the way of magic items in Barrowtown, but here's what they're able to give you:

One +1 weapon (you choose who gets it and what it is).
    One +1 armor (you choose who gets it and what it is that is not plate).
    One Scroll of Haste.
    Two Potions of Healing.

If there is any mundane equipment you want to purchase you can do so at a 10% discount. Once you're suited up we'll head back to the barrow.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Halath will steal something nice from these people on the way out of town, but for now he'll take one of the Potions of Healing.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    "Alright lads and lasses, here's what I be thinking..."

Talaasson and Halath both lack the capacity to deal Magic damage. One of them should probably end up with with the +1 weapon, though I'm not sure if they'd prefer a melee weapon or a longbow.

The +1 armor should go to someone who expects to be in melee a lot. Seamus will be, since I can use my reaction to impose disadvantage on an attack on anyone else who is within 5 feet of me. Halath wouldn't need to use Mage Armor to get to 16 AC with +1 armor, and he stands the greatest chance of saving against the creature's Intelligence attack. Lakor does have damaging spells, but Clerics also have been known to hang out in melee.

Jelenneth is the closest among us to 3rd level spells, and has the best chance of passing the Arcana check to use the Scroll of Haste

The potions should probably go to people who can't heal themselves otherwise.

"... so then what about the rest of ye?"

@denada As for me I'd like to acquire either fine sand, rose petals, or a cricket, so that I can cast my Sleep spell. Is there a component shop in town? Or somewhere I could grind sand into fine sand?

• Options
    Yeah I'll say the blacksmith has sand that he'll let you use.

• Options
    Seamus wanders down to the town blacksmith. The generous man lends Seamus some sand and the use of his smithy, and some time later Seamus has ground the sand into a fine powder necessary for his arcane works. Seamus then places the sand in a small leather pouch for later use.

Hooray! Seamus acquires fine sand.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Jelenneth gingerly takes the scroll, tucking it into a pocket as she attempts to steel her mind.

"It's a good idea, and it makes my choice so much easier. I'm ready to leave when the rest of you are, then."

• Options
    edited September 2014
    "I fight much better at distance. Rhyna here," Tal pets the great hound at his side, "she is good at keeping the foes at bay, as it were. I have little need for a healing potion. That bow, however, is a finely crafted weapon, indeed. It must be of Elvish make to be so beautiful. And, please, call me Tal."

I am going to take a mastiff-type dog as my animal familiar, if that is ok. I'd like it be more of a hound than anything. Maybe something akin to a bloodhound.

mallenellam on
  • Options
    The mastiff statblock is fine. You can make the dog look however you want.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Halath nods to Tal and says, "I need some minor magical components, but other than that I should be fine with one of these healing brews."

I can Poison Spray if needs be for non-mundane damage. I'll just buy a component pouch, since they're cheap and common.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Seamus speaks up, "If'n it's alright with ye all, +1 Splint armor would fortify me greatly, and in turn allow me cover ye all better."

+1 Splint armor would bump my AC by 2 to 20. If a monster attacks anyone besides me, I can give it disadvantage, so I'm happy to be the tank, even if Devour Intellect ignores AC and is insta-death on a failed save.

• Options
    Don't worry, it'll be driving me around like a steathly, spell-slinging battlemech by that point...

• Options
    That works for me.

Lakor nods. "Seems like we be ready." He looks towards Halath, "Lead on when ye are ready, me friend."

• Options
    Halath nods and slowly rises, a little hesitant to begin the return.

"Let's send those foul little monsters back to whatever cesspool they came from."

• Options
    Nealneal wrote: »
    Don't worry, it'll be driving me around like a steathly, spell-slinging battlemech by that point...

Seeing as you have the best Intelligence save and are nearly immune to its secondary effect, if that's the case, we probably have bigger problems.

• Options
    Seamus spends a few minutes donning the +1 Splint armor. "Spiffy lookin', if I don't say so meself."

Seamus's AC goes up to 20 (17 splint + 1 magic + 2 shield)

"Alright then, let's go rid the world of the wee devils."

• Options
    The blacksmith and the mayor say their goodbyes, with just a hint of finality in their voices, and with your new equipment in tow you head out into the storm. The path back to the barrow's entrance is dark, wet, and lonely. Your only company on the streets and bridges of Barrowtown is the ever-present howling on the wind. The occasional glow of lamp-light can be seen inside a house, but even those small signs of life are few and far between.

A low growl rumbles from Rhyna's chest as you come to the last bridge before the barrow's entrance.

• Options
    Tal puts his hand on Rhyna's back. "Everyone stop a moment," he whispers lightly. "Rhyna is rarely wrong about these things. We need to tread carefully; there is danger anear." Tal unslings the bow and knocks an arrow.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Seamus's Perception

E: Well dang

Seamus pulls out his Warhammer and shield. "Danger eh? Bring it on. Let me see if I spy anythin' from this distance."

Seamus's Perception:
    1d20+2 3 [1d20=1]

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Having been ambushed by wolves on his last journey over these bridges, Halath already had his rapier drawn.
    "Be wary. As I mentioned, the dream creatures can appear seemingly out of nowhere."

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Perception

Perception:
    1d20+2 12 [1d20=10]

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Paused at the stairs leading up to the bridge, Rhyna continues her low growl as the five of you peer through the rain to spot any threats. None reveal themselves, unless you consider puddles of water and wet rocks to be threats.

Do you proceed across the bridge?

• Options
    Halath takes a moment to cast Mage Armor on himself and then proceeds across the bridge.

• Options
    Seamus takes point up front, but moves warily with the group.

• Options
    Weapons drawn and eyes peeled, you move cautiously across the bridge. You notice that Rhyna is taking extra care to avoid the puddles and rocks, and it's that peculiar movement that gives you enough warning to avoid being struck when those puddles and rocks erupt into huge, oozing tentacles.

Roll Initiative!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Geth roll 1d20 for Seamus's initiative

"Ach, this be just like Intermediate Summoning 201 at the college!"

Seamus's initiative:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]

silence1186 on
  • Options
    'Ugh...muddy, oozing monsters...

I swear when this is over, I'm going somewhere dry."

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Halath's Initiative

Halath's Initiative:
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]

• Options
    "What in the name of {Some Diety} are these?!" Lakor exclaims, drawing his warhammer and preparing himself.

Would there be an appropriate skill for a Monster Knowledge check on these guys?

Geth roll 1d20+1 for Initiative

Initiative:
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

• Options
    Tal draws the bow back, ready to fire at the oozing puddles of tentacles.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for initiative

initiative:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]

• Options
    Denada wrote: »
    Arcana or Nature would be fine.

Damnit, Jim. I'm a Cleric, not a Wizard!

Geth roll 1d20+1 for Pick Your Poison (Both are INT based)

Pick Your Poison (Both are INT based):
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

• Options
    Geth is rolling high today, folks!

• Options
    I have now discovered that there aren't any guidelines for making monster knowledge checks (at least that I can find) but that's a pretty good roll so I'll give you this:

These are grey oozes. They are known (to the kinds of people that know about these things) to be highly corrosive to metal. Being oozes, they are also pretty slow-moving.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    With his request heard, {Some Diety} whispers to Lakor. Suddenly aware, Lakor speaks out, "Ack, keep yer shinies away from them beasties! They'll destroy yer metal weapons and armor!"

am0n on
  • Options
    Arcane energy crackles from the end of Seamus's shield hand.

"Oh, going after my boys, are ye? Ain't no ooze gonna eat the McGillicutty clan weapons. Not today, and not any other day!"