As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Gah, damn you, I was too slow :(

I've been following this game pretty closely, but the fact that the "scriptable UI windows" actually allow for making a whole game within a game is news to me. Last I'd heard all they'd done with it was a Pong clone, but now 3D graphics? Mother of god. The modders are going to have a field day with that particular feature.

Word is we're probably not going to get a "stable" release before Christmas, but we're almost definitely going to get an "unstable" release, which might be enough to make it worthwhile setting up a server again.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I've been following this game pretty closely, but the fact that the "scriptable UI windows" actually allow for making a whole game within a game is news to me. Last I'd heard all they'd done with it was a Pong clone, but now 3D graphics? Mother of god. The modders are going to have a field day with that particular feature.

Word is we're probably not going to get a "stable" release before Christmas, but we're almost definitely going to get an "unstable" release, which might be enough to make it worthwhile setting up a server again.

They said they want to push the update to the unstable branch in a couple weeks, and get it into the stable branch by January.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »

They said they want to push the update to the unstable branch in a couple weeks, and get it into the stable branch by January.

I believe they want to push unstable next week:

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't really have anything else to add other than I'm fucking pumped. Soon Brick Largemeat, space adventurer will cruise the cosmos headbutting all that stands in his way once more!

*edit* Oh yeah, there was one thing actually, the nightlies recently switched away from the "Koala" codename; the current version is apparently "Upbeat Giraffe".

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Yay. Looking forward to playing.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I hope the fully customizable spaceship mod still works just fine. I want to make my floating island spaceship again!

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    My goal is going to be to create an entire underwater metropolis made of glass on an Ocean Planet. Pretty much, Minecraft's PA Rapture on Ein's old server

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    If theres a released unstable build (not nightlies), do you guys want a server put back up? I was planning on it for the official release at least. It would probably be no mods most likely to keep it running smoothly.

My good faith in this has been dwindling over the last year for various reasons, the fact that the trailer comes out... 1 week before winter sale? Now a unstable will be ready "next week" continues to rub me the wrong way, but we shall see!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I'm waiting until the game is 100% what they said we'd get before bothering with it again. Maybe "next year".

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    My goal is going to be to create an entire underwater metropolis made of glass on an Ocean Planet. Pretty much, Minecraft's PA Rapture on Ein's old server
    I'm still set on making a space elevator leading to a massive continent sized space station.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I might try to colonize an asteroid field.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    So there's ocean planets without mods now? I haven't played for a long time due to the lack of much, seemingly new content.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I might try to colonize an asteroid field.
    I tried that once. Do note that plant's can't grow in those.

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm still set on making a space elevator leading to a massive continent sized space station.

I did that on one planet on the server. On the continent (okay, island) was a castle with another tower that led to a space ship. Could only get to it via double jump. We could totally do this on the same planet... Sea Lab and Sky Lab!

• Options

I did that on one planet on the server. On the continent (okay, island) was a castle with another tower that led to a space ship. Could only get to it via double jump. We could totally do this on the same planet... Sea Lab and Sky Lab!
    Would this be phase one of a complete conversion into a shield world or should we pick out some other planet for that?

• Options
    oh shit unstable update is tonight
    gonna get in on that shit

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    When?

• Options
    some time tonight

• Options
    Its out!

Unstable version is apparently exactly the same as the last nightly build that I was already playing, since it didn't download any extra files when I switched over. Except its wiped my character. Gaaah!

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I think it stated it segregates all the saves, if you switch back to nightlys, itill be there. At least it says it does this for normal/unstable.

I'm installing it now, gonna check it out. Might put the server up this weekend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Major update while I'm nowhere near my computer. Sounds about right. I will work on the OP when I get home Sunday. Anyone have a any suggestions of what to include, Other than the trailer for winter update?

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    Lessee: quests, rebalanced combat, ship upgrades, new biomes, Novakids, new cooking recipes, and probably some other stuff.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    If theres a released unstable build (not nightlies), do you guys want a server put back up? I was planning on it for the official release at least. It would probably be no mods most likely to keep it running smoothly.

My good faith in this has been dwindling over the last year for various reasons, the fact that the trailer comes out... 1 week before winter sale? Now a unstable will be ready "next week" continues to rub me the wrong way, but we shall see!

If it makes you feel better:
    Q: Is there any chance of getting a starbound discount on steam for christmas sales?
    A (Tiyuri): I think we'd like our patch to hit stable first. We're currently talking it over. I'd be interested in hearing some feedback on sales.

Source

This all makes me excited! I'm kinda worried that with their continued adding of biomes that it'll throw off planet gen every update, though :\

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I loaded up the new Unstable update, made a Glitch. My ship's AI is a robot wizard with a fake beard and a bunny under his hat. Although, I started on a rainy planet so it was super laggy. I'm gonna try again and see if I can get a planet that doesn't have framerate killing rain.

• Options
    My starting planet is pretty great. Grassy with pine trees, occasional rain and crystal showers, and the wildlife isn't too frisky. Oh, and corn, rice, wheat, potatoes, and pearlpeas were native to it. Gonna start farming and cooking soon. Say, what are the core fragments my SAIL wants to fix the ship? Do I just dig down into the center of the planet for them?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    My starting planet is pretty great. Grassy with pine trees, occasional rain and crystal showers, and the wildlife isn't too frisky. Oh, and corn, rice, wheat, potatoes, and pearlpeas were native to it. Gonna start farming and cooking soon. Say, what are the core fragments my SAIL wants to fix the ship? Do I just dig down into the center of the planet for them?
    Yup, head down for the core of the planet. Core fragments look kinda like rubidium.

• Options
    Yup, head down for the core of the planet. Core fragments look kinda like rubidium.

It's been so long since I've played that I've forgotten what rubidium looks like. But I'm sure I'll recognize it when I see it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Have any Arcadians done a lets play for StarBound yet? I would love to feature one in the revised OP. I would do it myself, but my computer would likely cry if I tried such a thing...

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular

It's been so long since I've played that I've forgotten what rubidium looks like. But I'm sure I'll recognize it when I see it

They're red and they glow

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    I apologize if I just missed the answer to this question in the thread, but how do I update my game to the winter update?

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    webber wrote: »
    I apologize if I just missed the answer to this question in the thread, but how do I update my game to the winter update?

R-click on the game in your steam game list and click on properties, then click the beta tab and select the unstable beta from the drop down menu.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ghlinn wrote: »

R-click on the game in your steam game list and click on properties, then click the beta tab and select the unstable beta from the drop down menu.

I'm going to drop this in the OP as well. Thank @Ghlinn !

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I'm just going to wait till January. No matter what I try I can only get good performance on the ship. They even said there would be performance issues until 1.0

Actually, I just remembered that I always ran beautifully while online someone's server. Do we have a server still? I think it's the only way I'll be able to play at a reasonable speed till they fix the lag.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Ghlinn wrote: »

Awesome, thanks!

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    I think @DiannaoChong was asking if there was any interest in a server, it would be fun to hop on and play with people. Some of the best times I had in minecraft and terraria was on servers and checking out what other people had built.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    I would love to tackle some building projects together, or just make a ridiculously large castle appear while everyone else sleeps. Everytime I read this thread I find myself restarting my "sand castle" on an arid planet with sandstorms. I'd really like others to see my work and play along. I might be part glitch, because all I want to do is build a castle that encompasses most if not all of a planet. I am very excited about water worlds, in abcense of Terarria's buckets and pumps.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Squeeze wrote: »
    in abcense of Terarria's buckets and pumps.

Don't forget you can eventually upgrade the Matter Manipulator to gather and dispense fluids. So there's your buckets right there.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    It doesn't perform like ass anymore! Woo!

Also really liking the changes they made.

• Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Squeeze wrote: »
    in abcense of Terarria's buckets and pumps.

Don't forget you can eventually upgrade the Matter Manipulator to gather and dispense fluids. So there's your buckets right there.

What.

• Options

Would this be phase one of a complete conversion into a shield world or should we pick out some other planet for that?

It certainly could be all one world... THE POSSIBILITIES? I'm installing the unstable build now, and gonna check out what could be possible!