As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Concerns

• Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Having never payed Excite Truck... would something like a small steering wheel representation in the HUD help with that? just so you can see how much you've turned? It might be a bit tacky but....dunno.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    They need to give you good visual feedback.

For example, in Sonic you'll eventually reach the edge of the track, and can't go left/right any further.

Agreed; but until I hit the side of the track I wouldn't know if I had been applying 1/4 steering lock; 3/4 lock or full lock.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    El Viento wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »
    Dreamcast delivered pretty quickly. Not sure about inside six months, but they were on the ball fast with JSR; Metropolis Street Racer and Shenmue.

It's more the point with the Wii that after Nintendo's E3 I was ready to call it (and did on here) the future of gaming. Living with it, it's just not.

If anything, the way the console made you feel it was the future of gaming is a great sign, regardless of the fact that the first six months haven't been HOLYFUCKAWESOME. For someone who bought the console for the 'future' you show a surprising lack of patience. I can agree a little, but I didn't get my Wii until mid-Feb, so I'm still having a great time with it.

I can see the lack of patience argument, but it's a bit more than that, rather nothing (including Zelda, WarioWare or Wii Sports) has lived up to realising the potential for me. I was kinda hoping at least these games would.

The best thing about the control scheme I've found so far was how comfortable it is to play an adventure game like Zelda for long periods of time with your hands kinda at your side and in natural positions.

The fact that you don't get any tactile feedback or resistance to tell you where the limits of the motion controlling an action on screen are (say; jumping in SSX) really frustrates me.

I can agree, to an extent, regarding the tactile feeback issue. But I think it's more because the jumping in SSX isn't done quite right. As far as resisting or limiting the motion, I don't see how they could do that. For the Wii, I view the fact that I swing my remote to swing my golf club in Tiger Woods is pretty good feed-back. I can adjust the power and length of my swing to compensate. I'm not sure where you're going with the feedback thing. The only real 'tactile feedback' for any game so far is rumble, or one of those wheels you can buy for racing games. If you want the controller to magically bounce back at you when you swing your sword at a wall in Zelda, you'll be waiting a long time.

Good to hear about TW being differnet, maybe they're getting it right; but bu 'tactile feedback' I mean on any analogue stick-ed pad; i tilt the joystick left, say to turn a vehicle; i hit the limit of motion of the stick in the pad and know i am turning left as hard as i can; that's tactile feedback. I'm finding i miss that terribly with wii controls. Am i all the way left yet? Have I jumed as hard as i can?

It may well be something my brain needs to re-learn.

I think it's much more a case of the developers haven't had time to learn how to show that kind of thing yet. The tactile feedback of phyiscal buttons has been a given for so long that it hasn't been an issue. It will just take time for them to perfect it. I know that's been my main complaint about wii games, is that a lot of times the motion I THINK I need to make, and the motion I actually SHOULD make are not the same. I've had this kind of problem in other console games as well, but it's much more pronounced, and frustrating in Wii games.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Having never payed Excite Truck... would something like a small steering wheel representation in the HUD help with that? just so you can see how much you've turned? It might be a bit tacky but....dunno.

the 'cow-tilt-ometer' helps in Charge/Wii play

LewieP on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I dunno. With Excite Truck, you learn how hard the car turns by turning it. Like driving a real car (though I suppose there is a limit to be reached, like Viento's analog stick comment.) I see where you're coming from, but I think with the philosophy of the Wii, the 'tactile feedback' is going to be your own body, not the edges of the analog stick. I don't think Excite Truck has less 'feedback' than if it were controlled by an analog stick, simply because you don't have a plastic 'limit' to the movement. If anything, what you're saying is a detriment to analog sticks.

What I'm trying to say is that visual feedback would detract from the experience. You're supposed to figure out how hard your turning the car by figuring out how hard your turning the car. If you catch my drift.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How many years has the DS been out and just now we're getting an online enabled pokemon game? I sold back Nintendogs after getting bored and was a little disappointed that Advance Wars:DS (while a great game) didn't really deliver a better product than the GBA version.

Hardware can do great stuff, but sometimes it just takes a while to get the software in place. I still think that 'I'm getting tired of the Wii' threads are stupid so long as they're hard to pick up at retail. There's going to be a big user base and there's going to be some good software. Let your Wii gather dust for a couple of months, it's no big deal!

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good to hear about TW being differnet, maybe they're getting it right; but bu 'tactile feedback' I mean on any analogue stick-ed pad; i tilt the joystick left, say to turn a vehicle; i hit the limit of motion of the stick in the pad and know i am turning left as hard as i can; that's tactile feedback. I'm finding i miss that terribly with wii controls. Am i all the way left yet? Have I jumed as hard as i can?

It may well be something my brain needs to re-learn.
    Very good observation, and I think it's why people's opinions of the Wii are so polarized. We can all admit that every system has games with great controls and games with shit-poor controls. The problem is that since we have no preconceptions of how a Wii game can play (as opposed to how a game with a more traditional controller can play), a lot of people are trying to carry over analog-stick skillz to Wiimote skillz.

If you're struggling with the controls, it's hard to tell if it's because:
    • You're not doing them right
    • You're doing them right, but the game is detecting the motions wrong
    • You're doing them right and the game is detecting them right, but the game just has crap controls

Which is why you have some people saying "OMG SSX BLUR IS AWESOME" (that's me, because it is) and other people say "SSX Blur is the suxxx."

I definitely think it's far too early to make any final call about the Wii's controls, one way or the other. People who instantly say it's the best thing ever and will always be superior are jumping the gun just as early as people who say they're crap and will never be better than a DualShock-ish pad.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know it's likely been said, but this happens to everything.

The DS has a long period of time where there wasn't anything decent coming out. We got Super Mario 64, Wario Ware Touched, and that was really it for a LONG TIME.

Same thing goes for the Gamecube. Luigi's Mansion & Super Smash Bros DX had to last us for quite a while before the good games started flowing in.

N64...we had Super Mario 64 and...Pilotwings? until Star Fox 64 showed up.

So, yeah, bottom line is stop being so damn impatient.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like to wait for a system to build up a library of games before I buy - I didn't get my DS until it had been out a year, I'm just now getting a 360, and I will wait until Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy are released before I get a Wii.

Being an early adopter has big drawbacks - you pay higher prices (for the console and games), you (sometimes) get less reliable hardware, you have a thin software library, and you get the system in whatever boring color they launched with.

Serule on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The thing is, it's hard to judge the controls against a dual shock, because they are so different. I would say that Excite Truck's feedback is much better than a racing game on a dual shock, because I am turning the wheel, and the wheels are turning. I didn't have to take time to learn how far I needed to push the analog stick to turn however hard, I just did it. I'm not sure I'm making my point very clear.

From the way I look at it, the fact that the Wii doesn't have a limit (like the edges of an analog stick's movement) is a positive. The feedback is YOU, not the limits of the controller. I can see where you're coming from, though.

Nickle on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sometimes I look at the Wii games lists and think ''maybe there are too many mini games here and not enough more in-depth ones''. Because there's what, Rayman, WarioWare, MarioParty, Wii Play, Cooking Mama and I know I'm missing some. But then again, these titles are aimed at the non-gamers, and that's who Wii is primarily aimed at.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Serule wrote: »
    I like to wait for a system to build up a library of games before I buy - I didn't get my DS until it had been out a year, I'm just now getting a 360, and I will wait until Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy are released before I get a Wii.

Being an early adopter has big drawbacks - you pay higher prices (for the console and games), you (sometimes) get less reliable hardware, you have a thin software library, and you get the system in whatever boring color they launched with.

Pretty much.

Unless there's a game at launch that you absolutely, positively must play, it's not really worth it to pick up ANY console the day it comes out.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Sometimes I look at the Wii games lists and think ''maybe there are too many mini games here and not enough more in-depth ones''. Because there's what, Rayman, WarioWare, MarioParty, Wii Play, Cooking Mama and I know I'm missing some. But then again, these titles are aimed at the non-gamers, and that's who Wii is primarily aimed at.
    That's because you're looking for minigames, so they jump out at you. I hate to play List Warzz, but on the flip side you have Zelda, Excitetruck, Trauma Center, Call of Duty, Super Paper Mario (oh, god, so soon), Sonic, SSX Blur, Elebits ... most of them aren't JRPG-ish 40+ hour endeavors, but they're more than five-minute pick-me-ups.

I'd argue that the Wii is not "primarily aimed at nongamers." It's aimed at both gamers and nongamers, even though I hate the labels and pigeonholing; there are titles for all types of people.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Serule wrote: »

Pretty much.

Unless there's a game at launch that you absolutely, positively must play, it's not really worth it to pick up ANY console the day it comes out.

I... I had to play Zelda. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I liked Wind Waker more. It's not a commonly held view, I know; but good god I loved the style of Wind Waker; and all the sailing exploration. And the fact that
    you found out that the world was actually Hyrule after all

just too few dungoens in it :(

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    That's because you're looking for minigames, so they jump out at you. I hate to play List Warzz, but on the flip side you have Zelda, Excitetruck, Trauma Center, Call of Duty, Super Paper Mario (oh, god, so soon), Sonic, SSX Blur, Elebits ... most of them aren't JRPG-ish 40+ hour endeavors, but they're more than five-minute pick-me-ups.

I'd argue that the Wii is not "primarily aimed at nongamers." It's aimed at both gamers and nongamers, even though I hate the labels and pigeonholing; there are titles for all types of people.

Hey, you keep that Super Paper Mario talk in the thread where I expect it. You mention it out of the blue like that, and now I have a big erection at work. Thanks.

EDIT: El Viento, I'm with you. The Wii is the first system I've ever bought so close to launch, and Zelda was one of the main reasons. I'm also with you that Wind Waker was better, however unpopular that opinion may be. I still argue that the Wii offers better 'feedback' than any normal gamepad possibly could, but I think we're defining it differently. But at least we agree on a few things, so you aren't always wrong. :P

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

... [All good stuff] ...

Which is why you have some people saying "OMG SSX BLUR IS AWESOME" (that's me, because it is) and other people say "SSX Blur is the suxxx."

I definitely think it's far too early to make any final call about the Wii's controls, one way or the other. People who instantly say it's the best thing ever and will always be superior are jumping the gun just as early as people who say they're crap and will never be better than a DualShock-ish pad.

You know, I'm not actually in the 'SSX is rubbish!' camp. I can see there's something there and I'm not ready to write it off yet. But boy does it frustrate me at times.

I might have to put myself through an intense 'learn how to manipulate the Wii remote and Nunchuck' program :)

Edit: There you all go about Super Paper Mario again; which is the main reason I'm grumpy at Nintendo today! I'm sure hoping the Q2 Europe release list was just a slip up.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

... [All good stuff] ...

You know, I'm not actually in the 'SSX is rubbish!' camp. I can see there's something there and I'm not ready to write it off yet. But boy does it frustrate me at times.

I might have to put myself through an intense 'learn how to manipulate the Wii remote and Nunchuck' program :)

You can earn your Associates Degree at home in the following fields!:

-Computer Repair
    -Legal Assistant
    -Advanced Waggle
    -Networking
    -Lawn Maintenance
    -Nunchucks

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You can earn your Associates Degree at home in the following fields!:

-Computer Repair
    -Legal Assistant
    -Advanced Waggle
    -Networking
    -Lawn Maintenance
    -Nunchucks

Hahaha!

"Oh man, I think I'm going to flunk this year"

"But why? You're better than me at math."

"Yeah, but I'm failing Advanced Waggle....."

"....shit dude, sorry."

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still feel the Wii is not real. I have yet to see this AT ALL in stores. It is like the unicorn of consoles. However, I haven't been actively looking for months but everytime I go into stores, I see zero.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    precisionk wrote: »
    I still feel the Wii is not real. I have yet to see this AT ALL in stores. It is like the unicorn of consoles. However, I haven't been actively looking for months but everytime I go into stores, I see zero.

Is it time yet, guys?

Fine, I'll just say it. APRIL FOOLS! We GOT you precisionk! Sucker! Who would believe in a system called the Wii anyway?

Man, that took a lot of work and planning, but it was totally worth it.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Edit: There you all go about Super Paper Mario again; which is the main reason I'm grumpy at Nintendo today! I'm sure hoping the Q2 Europe release list was just a slip up.
    Blur is such a strange gaming phenomenon. I'm a big SSX fan; I really disliked Blur at first, but it warmed to me with each time I sat down to try it, and by the fourth play session I was hooked. I think it's very much a case of trying to transfer analog-stick control familiarity to the Wii, which is terribly, terribly frustrating. But it was amazing to see how everyone's reactions were so different, although I think fanboy politics played up the drama a lot on both sides. :| Like I mentioned, I think there are so many variables being changed with the Wii that if a game doesn't hit the right chord right away, it's hard to put your finger on what it is that's missing (or if it's actually missing at all).

Try this out: literally put down the remote and just steer, jump and trick with the nunchuk for a while, to get the feeling down. Then pick up the Wiimote and add the spins. I've also wondered (this just occurred to me today at work) how people would react if they actually held the Wiimote/nunchuk in the opposite hands, so steering/tricking is on the right and spins are on the left.

But most people really seem to dig it once you have a few hours in, and the merqurycity.com folks are supposed to like it, too, AFAIK. I also think the racing AI is really a lot tougher than it usually is in SSX games, so that might be a frustration factor. I'm struggling to make third place, whereas in the early stages of SSX3 I was blasting through everyone with no worries.

Lunker on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty happy with my Wii. Scored it day after xmas, at an actual store. I dunno. I don't have time to marathon-game anymore. The GF and I spent about about a month plowing through excite truck... been picking at zelda since I got the Wii, really love the game&controls though I admit the gameworld is a little too expansive with too little to do for my liking. About 3/4ths through. Just beat elebits.

I guess I've had WTF wiimote control moments with every game I've tried but it's usually because my technique's off or I start wilding gesticulating.

Got old consoles all over the house, not a lot of time and an amazing backlog but the wii still gets the most play. Pretty optimistic about the future of the system & the controller. I hate FPS' on consoles but elebits really made me stop and go 'whoah - this is how that shit needs to be played'. I never want to have to aim in any circumstance with a Dpad or analog stick again. Also see zelda. Maybe not mouse precise but with a steady hand sniping junk with arrows is so fast & accurate.

And of course the VC... yeah. But I'm a 16bit era obsessive. Suspend state function is making me play hard games I never the patience to pound through previously. Adventure Island, CVIV, SG&G, etc etc

Mashalot on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    precisionk wrote: »

Is it time yet, guys?

Fine, I'll just say it. APRIL FOOLS! We GOT you precisionk! Sucker! Who would believe in a system called the Wii anyway?

Man, that took a lot of work and planning, but it was totally worth it.

I will eat your heart with a spoon and dine on your soul in hell.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Blur is such a strange gaming phenomenon. I'm a big SSX fan; I really disliked Blur at first, but it warmed to me with each time I sat down to try it, and by the fourth play session I was hooked. I think it's very much a case of trying to transfer analog-stick control familiarity to the Wii, which is terribly, terribly frustrating. But it was amazing to see how everyone's reactions were so different, although I think fanboy politics played up the drama a lot on both sides. :| Like I mentioned, I think there are so many variables being changed with the Wii that if a game doesn't hit the right chord right away, it's hard to put your finger on what it is that's missing (or if it's actually missing at all).

Try this out: literally put down the remote and just steer, jump and trick with the nunchuk for a while, to get the feeling down. Then pick up the Wiimote and add the spins. I've also wondered (this just occurred to me today at work) how people would react if they actually held the Wiimote/nunchuk in the opposite hands, so steering/tricking is on the right and spins are on the left.

But most people really seem to dig it once you have a few hours in, and the merqurycity.com folks are supposed to like it, too, AFAIK. I also think the racing AI is really a lot tougher than it usually is in SSX games, so that might be a frustration factor. I'm struggling to make third place, whereas in the early stages of SSX3 I was blasting through everyone with no worries.

Cheers for the advice. I'm a big SSX fan and appreciate Blur a lot more than On Tour already. I'll dive into it again this weekend and give what you've said a go. I love the racing aspect of SSX games, so a bit of a bigger challenge in them would be great - never really got on with the trick based events though.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still love my Wii. If nothing else it is fun introducing it to people who have never liked video games. Its amazing how quickly they pick it up and have fun.

But then I have always had one system at launch every generation so I'm used to having practicually nothing to play the first 6 months to a year of the system.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Whenever I doubt the Wii, I look at the DS. Everyone was all, "Yeah.. I mean, I guess meteos is fun.. What else is coming out?"

And then it kerploded with awesome.

The wii will be the same. Have faith

CangoFett on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I still love my Wii. If nothing else it is fun introducing it to people who have never liked video games. Its amazing how quickly they pick it up and have fun.

But then I have always had one system at launch every generation so I'm used to having practicually nothing to play the first 6 months to a year of the system.

This is the absolute truth. My father suggested that I bring my Wii over to my uncle's house for the first Passover seder. I did, and shortly after we finished the meal, all 30+ people there were in the living room either playing, talking about or laughing at the two idiots in the middle playing tennis... and everybody wanted to play. It was a blast.

I probably sold six or seven Wii's on the first night... and it was so popular, my uncle made me leave it there until the following night (during which time he took my Wii Tennis score from 1600+ to 850 because I forgot to tell him to play on a guest Mii or make his own). The following night, while a smaller crowd, it was just as popular.

Now, these are not people who play games, in any sense of the word. Hell, I've known the people my entire life... their idea of fun is going to the same timeshare in Aruba every year and doing the same thing over and over. But everybody was interested and, most importantly, if I picked up the controller to play against someone, I wasn't completely overpowering. Sure, I know how to control it a little better, but I still lost a few matches and everybody had a good time.

I think a lot of the Wii's power isn't in keeping gamers attached for hours and hours at a time... it's spreading by word of mouth and selling the system to nongamers one at a time through limited exposure. Again, with the sheer amount of information I gave about the Wii to people both nights as they earnestly took each word down, I probably sold six or seven Wii's to people who would never otherwise buy a video game system.

TL;DR: My father told me to bring my Wii to my uncle's place so he could school him in Wii Tennis and lots of old people who are overly serious had a lot of fun.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Like others have mentioned my Wii sits on its shelf collection dust with packs of AA batteries (damn wish they made it rechargeable like Logitech does with their keyboard mouse combo, heck I would even be interested in buying a 3rd party controller in this case)

I was impressed with the Wii’s tactical feel of the menus and Wii sports was a great introduction into the capabilities of this system. Now is the waiting game for developers to incorporate this new means of interaction into games beyond what was previously available. And like others have posted I too feel that it’s just around the corner for the Wii to finally start getting its own AAA titles. Until then it sits turned off on its shelf covered in dust watching roomba attempting to keep the floor clean.

Do I think it was a poor purchase…? Maybe but for me it has always been about buying the console when a title was a must have which in this case was twilight princess. To think I originally purchased the Xbox at launch for halo as I had been following Halo for over a year and was anticipating having to buy a Mac to play this title. (Still have the video of Steve Jobs introducing Bungie and Halo at a Mac conference)

I might be overly optimistic but I still have this feeling that we will look back on the Wii with much fondness and realize just how much it had a part to play in future gaming.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    To be honest this is why I haven't messed with Nintendo since the N64 days. At launch they release a great game, keep up the support for a bit and make you think somethings happening, and then BAM. They side swipe the fuck out of you and dont release anything for months on end and laugh all the way to the bank(because I eman they've already made a profit on you when you bought the thing, why do they need to keep supporting you when they've got what they came for)? Anyway, that's how I feel and how I have always felt about the Wii. Good with friends, but mini-games can only last so long. I'm sticking with PS3 and 360 this gen.

I mean think about it. GCN launched with SSBM(still the best game on GCN 5 years later, pretty sad). Then they released Metroid and a couple other awesome games, and then somewhere in between year 2 and 3. They just said...FUCK THIS! and didn't really do anything, and by the time TP came out, they had decided to put it on their new system anyway.
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Whenever I doubt the Wii, I look at the DS. Everyone was all, "Yeah.. I mean, I guess meteos is fun.. What else is coming out?"

And then it kerploded with awesome.

The wii will be the same. Have faith

You do know the GBA was an amazing handheld as well, but that didn't help the GCN.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not having any problems enjoying the system fully when I play it or with motivating myself to play the thing. Anyone who is either is playing the wrong games or simply has to damn much time on their hands.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The three of us in work who managed to get one around launch are thinking of eBaying them, then just buying one again when actual playable and enjoyable games come out for it.

Why would you ever buy a console at launch, then? That's pretty ridiculous.

Some things promise more than they can deliver?

Name one console that has ever 'delivered' the best games within 6 months. One.

Neo Geo Pocket Color.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The three of us in work who managed to get one around launch are thinking of eBaying them, then just buying one again when actual playable and enjoyable games come out for it.

Why would you ever buy a console at launch, then? That's pretty ridiculous.

Some things promise more than they can deliver?

Name one console that has ever 'delivered' the best games within 6 months. One.

Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Dont forget Dreamcast.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    At launch they release a great game, keep up the support for a bit and make you think somethings happening, and then BAM. They side swipe the fuck out of you and dont release anything for months on end and laugh all the way to the bank(because I eman they've already made a profit on you when you bought the thing, why do they need to keep supporting you when they've got what they came for)?
    Because they can sell more, and then make more profit? It's not like they're trying to keep up some clever ruse here--It's in their interest to give people reason to buy their stuff, and they do have big plans for the Wii.
    I mean think about it. GCN launched with SSBM(still the best game on GCN 5 years later, pretty sad). Then they released Metroid and a couple other awesome games, and then somewhere in between year 2 and 3. They just said...FUCK THIS! and didn't really do anything, and by the time TP came out, they had decided to put it on their new system anyway.
    This isn't demonstrative of some pattern of behavior though, like you seem to be implying.

In regards to the topic, I don't think the viability of the Wii is in any sort of precarious position. Really, barring some absurd misfortune it'll do just fine, for Nintendo and enthusiasts alike.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really have no problems with my consoles, because I never have time to game anyway. So I can work on one game for months. The only thing I wish is for Nintendo to give us some gods damn details about their upcoming stuff. We still barely know anything about SSBB, no release dates for SMG or MP3, and little to nothing about their smaller releases like Project H.A.M.M.E.R or Day of Crisis.

Seriously I want to know about Disaster: DoC

Bloods End on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Me too. So much.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Narom wrote: »
    At launch they release a great game, keep up the support for a bit and make you think somethings happening, and then BAM. They side swipe the fuck out of you and dont release anything for months on end and laugh all the way to the bank(because I eman they've already made a profit on you when you bought the thing, why do they need to keep supporting you when they've got what they came for)?
    Because they can sell more, and then make more profit? It's not like they're trying to keep up some clever ruse here--It's in their interest to give people reason to buy their stuff, and they do have big plans for the Wii.
    This isn't demonstrative of some pattern of behavior though, like you seem to be implying.

In regards to the topic, I don't think the viability of the Wii is in any sort of precarious position. Really, barring some absurd misfortune it'll do just fine, for Nintendo and enthusiasts alike.

They did the same thing for the N64 as well. I mean until they show me that it isnt some kind of pattern, then it has been for the past 2 console generations.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Me too. So much.
    GIVE US SOMETHING DAMMIT

BLIND FAITH ONLY SUSTAINS FOR SO LONG

UNLESS YOU'RE A RELIGION

Bloods End on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

Me too. So much.
    GIVE US SOMETHING DAMMIT

BLIND FAITH ONLY SUSTAINS FOR SO LONG

UNLESS YOU'RE A RELIGION

well there is that 5 second clip of it in one of the Wii collage videos.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Narom wrote: »

They did the same thing for the N64 as well. I mean until they show me that it isnt some kind of pattern, then it has been for the past 2 console generations.
    Generations in which competitors were overtaking them in the marketplace and drawing away third parties, leaving the burden of supporting the console nearly entirely on Nintendo. Probably easier to just try again with a new platform.
    You make it sound as if Nintendo is liable to just up and stop supporting the Wii all of a sudden. That makes no sense and there's no reason to believe it at all.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>