As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Chapter 12
    I really hope the "twist" of Ludger being Elle's father wasn't actually supposed to be surprising.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Chapter 12
    I really hope the "twist" of Ludger being Elle's father wasn't actually supposed to be surprising.
    To be honest it was one of my first biggest theories, but I wasn't sure. I guessed for sure that 'Victor' was a future-version of Ludger, but not that he was a complete fractured version as well. On top of that it was kind of reflected with the fatherly relationship Ludger had been having with Elle up until that point... The scene after at the inn was probably one of the saddest scenes in the series.

Of course there's a scene coming up that tops even that.

Also that boss fight was hard as balls.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man...these extractors I got from gambling are like way better than anything I had at this point.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    In happy fun anime time, I just did
    The first chapter of Muzét's story. That was pretty damn funny, especially some of the choices you could make.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Is gambling open as soon as you do the tengu mask quest? The game didn't actually say anything about it. I figured there'd be a big flashing sign advertising the mini-game once it was open.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    @Gaming-Freak‌

Watching the credits now!
    A bad ending is still an ending!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Is the "bad" ending in this in any way similar to the bad ending in Persona 4? Because I still prefer the bad ending there, as it's more poignant and "real" in my mind than the typical "Yay, we saved the world, congrats!" stuff that seems to be all the rage, even in games with dark/heavy themes.

• Options
    Is the "bad" ending in this in any way similar to the bad ending in Persona 4? Because I still prefer the bad ending there, as it's more poignant and "real" in my mind than the typical "Yay, we saved the world, congrats!" stuff that seems to be all the rage, even in games with dark/heavy themes.

No.

(BAD ENDING SPOILERS)
    You kill all of your party members. Literally the last fight is a boss rush against the other eight party members, four at a time.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Still sad about spoilers but
    Prime Milla with her alternate color, sunglasses, and Leia's Beret looks like a biker chick and that is hilarious.
    Ha ha, I have her with the alternate colour, extra bangs, and red rose in her hair. She looks like a flamenco dancer.

Also, re: your ending:
    You actually beat that fight? On what difficulty level? I tried it and gave up.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Nah. Wrong thread.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Still sad about spoilers but
    Prime Milla with her alternate color, sunglasses, and Leia's Beret looks like a biker chick and that is hilarious.
    Ha ha, I have her with the alternate colour, extra bangs, and red rose in her hair. She looks like a flamenco dancer.

Also, re: your ending:
    You actually beat that fight? On what difficulty level? I tried it and gave up.

re: ending
    Moderate. It took ages though, and I went through about five Reverse Dolls. The trick for me was to just hit and run slowly until I had a level 2 Transformation and I could Apocalyptica and Overlimit them one by one. Started with Milla because FUCK YOU WHY AREN'T YOU THAT GOOD WHEN YOU'RE ON MY SIDE and then Rowen/Elize/Muzet because fuck AoE when "run around and not get hit" is my main strategy.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Yeah, that's how I figured I'd have to win the battle if I'd really gotten serious about it. Good ol' Reverse Doll and Mystic Arte abuse.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Is the bad ending an obvious choice or do you have to have done something to avoid it?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    @Gaming-Freak‌

Watching the credits now!
    A bad ending is still an ending!

Ha! when you said you got the ending I was shocked, then it turns out it's the bad ending. Okay then. Whatever, I have to work before I can do more character stories, but once those are done I'm finishing up the main game before doing the post-game stuff.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Getting ready to head into the final dungeon now...planning out all my grade purchases because I really doubt I'm going to do too much more grade grinding.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Man...I swear its like some of these bonus bosses have like 100% chances to inflict status effects.

And they all love the one which breaks your guard.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Grrr. cant read this thread anymore you guys are getting a little too spoilery. I've been grinding, farming a bit too much. i get a little too addicted to completing jobs because they put the 'special' ones with nice sounding items so far away from each other badge-wise. its like i got to wooden badge and suddenly i got stuff that requires bronze badge in my list??? arghhhh it must close it all.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Is the bad ending an obvious choice or do you have to have done something to avoid it?
    It's a long series of dialogue choices... long enough that you start getting the idea that the game really wants you to make choice x, but you can be stubborn and keep making choice y instead to get to the bad ending.

• Options
    Getting ready to head into the final dungeon now...planning out all my grade purchases because I really doubt I'm going to do too much more grade grinding.
    Tell me I wasn't the only one who jerked a tear when Julius died

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular

No.

(BAD ENDING SPOILERS)
    You kill all of your party members. Literally the last fight is a boss rush against the other eight party members, four at a time.

Reminds me of the bad end for DotNW.
    It was against Lloyd and Marta as a 2 on 1. Course, that one was only the bad end if you won.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Preparing up for the final dungeon, but need Gald to outfit everyone in the latest armor. @Blackjack might win after all, if he hasn't already.

Heh, the characters have interesting dialogue when you split up for the final dungeon, depending on who you pick.
    Gaius: "Just in case you were thinking otherwise, here's a friendly reminder: You leave me behind, and I will end you."

AAAAAAAND I beat the game a few minutes ago. Not sure if @blackjack beat it first or not, but I'm willing to say it was a close Tie this time.

Also, it seems like I accidentally got the normal ending instead of the True ending by accident. Though it has a somewhat nice tone in the end.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Man...I know Tales games have never had good final dungeons, but this one takes the cake.

@gaming-freak you win, because I will be stuck in this dungeon for the rest of my life

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Final Dungeon is an annoying pain in the ass. Like not even a puzzle, just a really bad path-finding memory game. WITH ENEMIES TO BREAK THE CONCENTRATION.

By the time I actually got to the final boss, I was really irritable, and when the final boss was beating down my team like ragdolls (though sometimes I could turn the tide and do the same), I was actually fuming out the ears from frustration. Almost ran out of Life Bottles. Anyway! Time to do post-game stuff and get all possible endings! (besides the bad one because it's too late now).

Though to get those endings you gotta do a whole number of different things. The main ones are obvious, but there's extra endings too for some odd reason, even a joke ending.

And after that's all said and done, it's NG+ time.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Final Dungeon is an annoying pain in the ass. Like not even a puzzle, just a really bad path-finding memory game. WITH ENEMIES TO BREAK THE CONCENTRATION.
    Guess what I just found out!
    The path changes based on who is in your party. I was running with Ludger, Elize, Gaius, and Muzet and could not find a way to even the second area. I switched Gaius for Leia because I decided Gaius was using too much TP and it became pretty much a straight shot. At the last save point now.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    @Blackjack Wow really? That's interesting, but regardless I just remember it being a massive pain in the ass. Also *ahem*....

GAMING-FREAK WINS! BOO-YAH!

Nah, I kid. It was pretty close, just like last time with Xillia. But there's a lot of post-game content to get done, that's for sure.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    So...I have a question for the people at the end.
    I'm guessing that there is no real prime dimension and that like all the other dimensions are fighting to become the one prime dimension or some such.

• Options
    Finally messed with poker last night. Boy, those 4 extractors you can get there really are so much better than anything else at this point in the game that it's almost silly.

• Options
    So...I have a question for the people at the end.
    I'm guessing that there is no real prime dimension and that like all the other dimensions are fighting to become the one prime dimension or some such.
    Nope. The Fractured Dimensions are in fact a result of the Kresniks abusing/overusing their power with the end result being a divergence catalyst created.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Been thinking it over since finishing, and I really think I prefer Xillia 1.
    My biggest issue was the fact that most of the cast are completely superfluous. Alvin, Elize, and Leia stop showing up in the main plot almost entirely after Milla joins, Rowen going along in Chapter 12 seemed like a placeholder, and Gaius and Muzet make a few appearances but could be replaced by anyone without any difference. It's basically the Ludger, Jude, and Milla show. The trouble with this is that Jude and Milla got pretty much all of their development in Xillia 1, and Ludger is a silent protagonist so has minimal personality and input into the story. The character stories were nice, but should have been extra. An addition, not the only way to see or use certain characters.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Been thinking it over since finishing, and I really think I prefer Xillia 1.
    My biggest issue was the fact that most of the cast are completely superfluous. Alvin, Elize, and Leia stop showing up in the main plot almost entirely after Milla joins, Rowen going along in Chapter 11 seemed like a placeholder, and Gaius and Muzet make a few appearances but could be replaced by anyone without any difference. It's basically the Ludger, Jude, and Milla show. The trouble with this is that Jude and Milla got pretty much all of their development in Xillia 1, and Ludger is a silent protagonist so has minimal personality and input into the story. The character stories were nice, but should have been extra. An addition, not the only way to see or use certain characters.

Someone earlier said that Xillia 2 basically feels like an expansion to Xillia 1 and I would have to agree with them.

Not saying that the game is bad, I've actually been enjoying it a lot, but I agree with most of your assessment.

I would also say a good amount of your enjoyment of the content in this game non-combatwise will probably have depended on you playing the first game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Is there a good guide for all the missable things and sub-events for Xillia 2 out there?

I just got started with it and I don't want to miss stuff.

• Options
    There actually isn't anything missable, really.

There technically is, but you have to try to miss them. Just make sure you do all of the Event Jobs off the job board when they show up and you'll be set.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    How do I see what is an event job and what is not? And will events for characters not in my currently active party show up, or so I need the specific party makeup required to make them actually appear?

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    How do I see what is an event job and what is not? And will events for characters not in my currently active party show up, or so I need the specific party makeup required to make them actually appear?

Even jobs have a ! next to them on the job board. And you talk to the character in town when they also have an ! over their head (and once you get the world map, there will also be a ! next to the town name) so you don't need a certain party to get it.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I imagine you could easily miss a bunch of little things from the affinity with characters if you choose incorrectly in their individual quests.

• Options
    You can buy Friendship Potions via Poker so you can't actually lose out on affinity.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    You know. One pet peeve with the game is it annoys me that there isn't a shop that carries every piece of buyable equipment.

Hate having to run to multiple shops to customize.

• Options
    You know. One pet peeve with the game is it annoys me that there isn't a shop that carries every piece of buyable equipment.

Hate having to run to multiple shops to customize.
    Definitely one change I am not a fan of. I get why they did it, and being able to just, like, buy Blue Sephiras and the ultimate equipment was a bit much, but at least add a shop at the end of the game that sells everything that every other shop sells or something.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Anyone else really get a kind of Mass Effect vibe from how they made this game? Basically you play to see the characters from 1 again, but you play the OP blank slate to bring them together again and then push the story along. It even has what are essentially loyalty missions.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Not really. While the protagionist is the player in a sense in Mass Effect you have a much greater hand in crafting the personality of the MC. It isn't 1 for 1 of course, but enough to feel like you have some control.

Ludger is pretty much a set character. So much so that I don't understand why he's voiceless because the only real dialogue shifts are during skits.

Dragkonias on