As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, January 27, 2014 - Manslayer’s Doctrine

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    For context on this there has been a really direct accusation from one of the developers of Assassin's Creed that they stole code for this game.

He stated:
    Seriously, can someone tell me how Assassin’s Creed 2 code and assets are in this Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor game?

Believe me, he wasn't trying to be funny either as subsequent tweets reiterated that he really does feel that his code is in there. Monolith responded effectively by saying (I am paraphrasing slightly) "Assassin's Creed was never in our minds" but honestly, that's a bit of a load of horse shit if you've seen the gameplay they have put out as it has some very AC2 and Batman like inspirations in there to be a coincidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgvvgGEpkQ

I doubt anyone stole any code, but to claim that AC2 wasn't an inspiration while mimicking it so closely is immensely difficult for me to believe.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I have no idea how to feel about Shadow of Mordor.
    On one hand. The mechanics look pretty cool and interesting.
    On the other hand it's a giant FU to Middle-Earth lore, and that's a lot of lore that it's flipping the bird towards.

Half-wraith turning his wraith powers against Sauron. W...T...F?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Believe me, he wasn't trying to be funny either as subsequent tweets reiterated that he really does feel that his code is in there. Monolith responded effectively by saying (I am paraphrasing slightly) "Assassin's Creed was never in our minds" but honestly, that's a bit of a load of horse shit if you've seen the gameplay they have put out as it has some very AC2 and Batman like inspirations in there to be a coincidence.

I doubt anyone stole any code, but to claim that AC2 wasn't an inspiration while mimicking it so closely is immensely difficult for me to believe.
    Yeah. I just watched that video, and the models for the ropes linking buildings together look exactly like in AC:2.

There has to be some sort of code/asset sharing going on between Monolith and Ubisoft that they haven't talked about yet, even some of the traversal animations look identical to me.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Claiming AC2 code is in there is a pretty serious allegation, but it also reeks of extreme crybaby bullshit just sounds like fishing for something to complain about.

Is it a lot like AC2? I guess. Does that take away from it being fucking badass? NOPE.

God I wanna play this game a lot. I'm so glad I'm not married to Middle-Earth continuity / lore so that whatever wrong-doing is going on just flies over my head. I wanna wraith some motherfuckers and I'm gonna.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Another thing about coding for video games before I go to bed.

Do we seriously have to reinvent the wheel for each game made? At some point it has to be acceptable for code to just transfer over from game to game if that code is the most optimal way to get shit done. I mean, as long as the legality / agreements are in order from one company to the next.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    My question is: How does he suppose they got their hands on the code? Last I checked, AC2 wasn't open source.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Another thing about coding for video games before I go to bed.

Do we seriously have to reinvent the wheel for each game made? At some point it has to be acceptable for code to just transfer over from game to game if that code is the most optimal way to get shit done. I mean, as long as the legality / agreements are in order from one company to the next.

Presumably Mr. Randall would not be complaining if there had been an agreement.

That said while Shadow seems to add some new additions the basic game play and character movement appears to be virtually identical. It could very well be that they didn't use code from AC but they sure as Hell pulled a ton of inspiration from it.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Plus bear in mind they have claimed they weren't even thinking about AC2 and when you compare them, that's awfully hard to actually believe.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    At some point it has to be acceptable for code to just transfer over from game to game if that code is the most optimal way to get shit done. I mean, as long as the legality / agreements are in order from one company to the next.

It is acceptable if the legality and agreements are in order. That's what "legality" means.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Character movement looks nothing at all like Ezio. No not even the climbing.

Also not all Wraiths in Middle-Earth were Ringwraiths.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not all Wraiths are Ringwraiths, but all Wraiths are dead things, a dark spirit type dealie summoned by a necromancer. To be "half Wraith" is rather goofy.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Not all Wraiths are Ringwraiths, but all Wraiths are dead things, a dark spirit type dealie summoned by a necromancer. To be "half Wraith" is rather goofy.

Half wraith is a silly term.

They probably should've just said possessed.

Or that he was stabbed with a morgul blade.

Trace on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    There's no "evil" a hack writer can't eventually make a half-blood anti-hero out of.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    At least with a Lord of the Rings themed clone of Assassin's Creed I won't have to worry about being forced to play a lame schlub from time to time. So that's a big step in the right direction.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty stoked for Assassin's Creed: Middle Earth.

I just hope that it doesn't come out that Monolith really did do something dumb like steal code or whatever that prevents the game from releasing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Not the best nose in this one.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    To me, it seems like a very silly criticism. Games, like all other forms of entertsinment, draw inspiration from others. The AC series is built upon other stealth / action games like Tenchu.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The title of the comic is the best part.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    At least with a Lord of the Rings themed clone of Assassin's Creed I won't have to worry about being forced to play a lame schlub from time to time. So that's a big step in the right direction.

Hey!

I, for one, enjoyed the Connor segments in ACIII.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    All I can say is that "half-wraith" sounds a lot like something directly from Song of the Sorcelator.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Half-Wraith sounds like a bad choice of words then an actual plot thing.

The simplest way to explain the "why" without giving away any possible spoilers in the story.

I mean for all we know Sauron could be controlling Talion just as Talion controlled that Orc to make him attempt an assassination and be using Talion to clear his army of orcs that think too much or aren't totally loyal or something.

Trace on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

The simplest way to explain the "why" without giving away any possible spoilers in the story.

I mean for all we know Sauron could be controlling Talion just as Talion controlled that Orc to make him attempt an assassination and be using Talion to clear his army of orcs that think too much or aren't totally loyal or something.

That makes it sound a bit like The Force Unleashed.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

That makes it sound a bit like The Force Unleashed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmJ_CKk_WhA

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Secret twist confirmed: You actually play 50% of the game as Peter Jackson; the Talion stuff is Jackson brainstorming a plot for his next movie in Middle Earth after he finishes up with the Hobbit.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    All I can say is that "half-wraith" sounds a lot like something directly from Song of the Sorcelator.

Grimm Shado did immediately come to mind when I saw "half-wraith"

I will certainly be ready to take it to the limit when I get my hands on this game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Grimm Shado did immediately come to mind when I saw "half-wraith"

I will certainly be ready to take it to the limit when I get my hands on this game.

You are going to rue that purchase, and rue it hard.

• Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    I hope it's not a clone of AC. I would flip a table if the orcs were as fast and agile as you, could climb and run and jump as acrobatically as you, and stay on you so you could never ever ever ever break line of sight. Stupid Red Coats...

• Options
    roflstomp wrote: »
    I hope it's not a clone of AC. I would flip a table if the orcs were as fast and agile as you, could climb and run and jump as acrobatically as you, and stay on you so you could never ever ever ever break line of sight. Stupid Red Coats...

Getting mobbed by hobbits begging you for pipe weed, food and ale around every corner and getting punished when you stab them because they're not just annoying but actively preventing you from accomplishing things

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Before everyone jumps all over this dude who said "this looks like my code," he didn't mean it as an accusation or an insult or anything. He said that maybe they licensed the AC engine, and wrote "For the record though, that Middle-earth game looks pretty damn awesome. And I love AC2 so it's kind of a double win."

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    roflstomp wrote: »

Getting mobbed by hobbits begging you for pipe weed, food and ale around every corner and getting punished when you stab them because they're not just annoying but actively preventing you from accomplishing things

And then it zooms out and it's revealed that you're only influencing the main character's actions through a Palantir.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    It was his sled all along

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Before everyone jumps all over this dude who said "this looks like my code," he didn't mean it as an accusation or an insult or anything. He said that maybe they licensed the AC engine, and wrote "For the record though, that Middle-earth game looks pretty damn awesome. And I love AC2 so it's kind of a double win."

Yeah, this is the part that is naturally getting missed out of all the accounts. Because games media.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    He also said that all he wants is just a coding credit if they do indeed use some of the code he wrote. That's not really an unreasonable request.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The question I have is why would de Plater say, when asked about the similarities, "We didn't think much about [Assissin's Creed games] at all. We just wanted to do a third-person, open-world action adventure. And then now, just by the time you have stealth and melee combat and you're hunting guys behind enemy lines, the comparisons maybe come out at that point. It definitely wasn't something we were consciously going for."? If they licensed the engine, why wouldn't he just say the similarities exist because both games use the same engine. Then he can lead right into discussing the differences that sets his game apart. It's an odd denial if they are using the AC engine, and from that video I'm pretty certain they are.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Because it might be possible they aren't using the AC engine or any coding from the AC games?

Also

The game is being written by Christian Cantamessa, who was a lead-writer and lead-designer on Rockstar San Diego's Red Dead Redemption.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    At some point it has to be acceptable for code to just transfer over from game to game if that code is the most optimal way to get shit done. I mean, as long as the legality / agreements are in order from one company to the next.

It is acceptable if the legality and agreements are in order. That's what "legality" means.

I know but I meant on the part of enthusiasts like posters to video game message boards. I'm fine with it, but some people are outraged by it somehow I guess.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm not getting the whole story, but I see engines sub-licensed by the companies all the time. So they decided to shave a few bucks...

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Game looks super slick and well presented.

Just curious how the systems in the game are going to work. I mean, in my average AC or Batman combat sequence there's not really survivors to let the nemisis thing occur.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    It is interesting to me that people are generally fine with engine licensing, but if the animation or art is reused it is terrible. I assume it's because art and animation are things everyone can at least think is straightforward. But engine programming is totally opaque.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Probably because for the most part a games engine doesn't have a big bearing on it for the user. You can make two unreal shooters look and play totally different even if they both have a few of the same engine quirks.

If you liscence art/animation things might get to be a bit samey (if you're a Bioware fan it's great fun to track all the animations in their catalogue being re-used at various points in their history).