As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] - Blizzard's CCG - League matches must be complete by Sunday night!

TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!"Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Games and Technology
Vent and Teamspeak for discussing games!
Tournament Bracket
fUj130Y.png
(Liberally borrowing the best of our old OP and the beauty of SE++)
LAUNCH STATUS: Open beta - feast on the arenas of fresh meat.
THIS IS FOR: PC/Mac, and eventually Android and iDevices!

We like playing with each other sometimes: Add your Bnet Battletag here.

The game has THREE play modes:
  • Constructed - Build a 30-card deck and fight people in ranked or unranked matches. Ranked has recently been majorly revamped.
  • Practice - Build a 30-card deck and fight really bad AI opponents to learn the INS AND OUTS of the game nothing.
  • Arena - Pay 150g, then pick a hero from a random selection of 3 heroes and draft a deck from a random pool of cards presented to you three at a time. Then battle other people who went through the same process to receive treasures!

Hearthstone revolves around two heroes summoning minions in a goal to bring the enemy hero to zero life. Think of it as a simpler version of Magic that favors quicker matches, and you're on the right track.

Here are class intros and pretty pictures:
hqFmg0H.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 1 Armor and +1 Attack this turn.
Style: Can accelerate with mana-boosting cards like Innervate. Many cards have two options, allowing for flexibility. Enjoys a good buff.
Weaknesses: Flexible cards tend to be overpriced. Weaker early game without acceleration. Lacks direct removal.
Rphexwt.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to opposing hero.
Style: Utilizes minions to rush down opponent. Great synergy with beast minions. Cheap removal.
Weaknesses: Removal tends to be random targets or secrets that can be played around. Beasts are typically mediocre without hunter synergies. Hero power has no effect on the board.
cYEGts4.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 1 damage to any character.
Style: Lots of direct damage spells, and spells in general. Very control-oriented, using freeze and removal to keep enemies at bay. Polymorph is one of the best removal spells. Strong AoE damage. Strong finisher via Pyroblast.
Weaknesses: Only has a handful of solid minions. Incredibly vulnerable without any spells. Can be hamstrung if opponent heals enough.
6gzI2hs.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit minion.
Style: Enjoys buffing minions and debuffing enemies. Great for weenie decks, but enjoys a slower, somewhat control-oriented game. Solid weapons, and lots of card draw.
Weaknesses: Has poor direct removal. Card draw is good, but either situational (Divine Favor) or expensive (Lay on Hands).
rUGXRhZ.jpg
Hero Power: Restores 2 HP to a character.
Style: Control-oriented. Loves to buff minions, particularly HP. Steals opponents' crap, potentially resulting in massive card advantage. Lots of direct removal.
Weaknesses: Weak in the early game. Direct removal is conditional or expensive. People will think you're a jerk.
ti4QiKo.jpg
Hero Power: Summon a 1/2 weapon.
Unique Mechanic: Combo. Cards have an additional effect if you've already played a card earlier in the turn.
Style: Tends to go for rush-down. Lots of direct damage and weapons. Combo allows for cheap, powerful effects.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable late-game. Combo can lead to unfavorable opening hands. AoE spells tend to be poor.
CeahrWo.jpg
Hero Power: Summons one of the following totems at random: Stoneclaw (0/2 Taunt), Healing (0/2, restores 1 HP to all friendly minions at end of turn), Searing Totem (1/1), Wrath of Air (0/2, +1 Spell Damage)
Unique Mechanic: Overload. You will be unable to spend X mana on your next turn. Think Echo from Magic and you're on the right track.
Style: Has a lot of play styles, being able to sling spells, use weapons, and solid minions. Overload allows for very efficient turns. Hex is among the best direct removal.
Weaknesses: Vulnerable on turns AFTER overload. Hero power is random, which will burn you.
ac4sbkL.jpg
Hero Power: Gain 2 Armor.
Style: Incredibly aggressive, favoring a lot of cheap enrage minions, charge, and great weapons.
Weaknesses: Worst Hero Power in the game. Removal tends to be random or conditional (Execute, Brawl). Damage spells, particularly AoE, are poor. Takes a ton of damage from weapon use.
ptwglff.jpg
Hero Power: Deal 2 damage to your hero. Draw a card.
Style: Can go for an aggressive early game with very cheap demons. Hero Power is among the best in the game. Good synergy with demons.
Weaknesses: Powerful cards tend to have bad drawbacks. Removal tends to be weak (Mortal Coil) or carry big drawbacks (Soulfire). Hero Power can hurt your late game.
Current Meta
The current kings of constructed are still control decks and their variants. Druids are probably the most common class at the top of the ladder with good removal and finishing combos in their class specific kit. On the other side of the coin, Murloc Warlock is as popular as it has been for 3 months and new Warrior/Hunter aggro decks are flooding the lower ranks with legendary viable budget decks. Every class (arguably except mage) is viable at a legend level, but matchups are pretty lopsided. Priests perform very well against control Paladins, Druids, Warlocks, and Warriors but really struggle with aggro decks. Shaman is seeing increased play as a midrange anti-aggro class; The Black Knight has dropped in usage and their taunts are becoming formidable again. Rogues are playing everything from aggro to board control to hard control with Headcrack and spell power. For more information, make a post! Many of us are willing to share our feelings on the best way each class can find success.

Grobian's list of less intuitive facts:
  • Max handsize is 10 cards. Any card over that is drawn then immediately destroyed.
  • You can't have more than 7 minions on the board.
  • If you draw from an empty deck, each "card" you draw instead damages you, beginning at 1 damage and increasing by 1 damage each draw.
  • If multiple things happen at the same time (e.g. trigger at the end of the turn) they happen in the order their respective cards have been played.
  • There are hidden quests/achievements that award gold, notably: 100g for beating all Expert AIs, 100g for playing every class to level 10 and 300g for 100 wins total.
  • The Shaman hero power always calls one of the 4 totems that isn't out yet. If you get a totem bounced to your hand, you can play a second one, though.
  • The hunter spell Animal Companion just calls a random of the 3 possible minions.
  • The Warlock spell Sense Demons gives you 1/1 imps for 1 mana if you don't have (any more) demons in your deck.
  • Stealth overrides Taunt, not the other way around.
  • Stealth is only for the enemy, you can buff your stealthed minions.
  • Priest: Shadowform refreshes your hero power, so you can use it twice in a turn.
  • Druid: Wild Growth at 10 mana crystals awards you a spell "Excess Mana" which draws a card for 0.
  • More comprehensive list of oddities here
Hearthstone strategy and resource links
Easy intro to Hearthstone in an image.
Full daily quest list here.
TeamLiquid's new Hearthstone siteLiquidHearth
TeamLiquid's Hearthstone Article Portal, a collection of all articles they've done. A good place to start.
HearthHead - Best Arena draft practice, decklists, deck builder, card db
Hearthpwn - Practice Arena drafts, decklists, deck builder, card db. Same stuff different layout.
Chrome Hearthstone Card mouseover extension - Easily find out what all those cards people are talking about do without leaving the thread!
Trump's Neutral Common guide for Arena

Decent streamers/youtube clips to watch, to learn!
Trump
Kripparian
Hafu
Ellohime
apDrop
ek0p
Reynad

TannerMS on

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    I plan to update the Current Meta section of the OP, does anything else look like it needs to be changed?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    TannerMS wrote: »
    I plan to update the Current Meta section of the OP, does anything else look like it needs to be changed?
    reynad27 is a good streamer if you like watching constructed.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

Trump's Neutral Common guide?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

ChanManV streams Hearthstone occasionally, but, in particular, has the ValueTown show (on stream and on YouTube).

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Why no, arena, I do NOT prefer 4 Guardians of Kings (Guardian of Kingses? I don't even know) to a decent mana curve.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think i have a 0% win rate against mages in arena

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Just always play mage. One of you has to win!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i really hate the persistent myth that the minion shuffling bug happens when you go too quickly through a battlecry

PVFfQjZ.png

pictured: all i've goddamn played, argus is the first battlecry of the game

like come on, it's clearly just shitty random bullshit

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    oakkeoakke Registered User regular
    Started 4 arenas in the last 2 days. 2 Mages, 2 Paladins, the 2 classes I consistently get 7+ wins.

1-3, 0-3, 3-3, 2-3.

No idea what is happening, but I don't like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Well I just went 12-2 with a rather mediocre paladin deck. One Truesilver, one Light's Justice (which, honestly, did some MASSIVE work for me), one Hammer of Wrath, no Consecrations, no Kings, a single 3-2 2-drop (ooze), some kobolds for the consecrations I never got, and so on. In the end it survived mostly on consistently trading up or making 2-for-1s using things like Dark Iron Dwarves, Dire Wolf Alphas, the Light's Justice, Divine Shield, and so on.

Presumably, I sapped all of your luck.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    While we are talking about north shire cleric, coin north shire young priestess is pretty good because four life puts you out of range of all garden variety turn two removal.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    oakke wrote: »
    Started 4 arenas in the last 2 days. 2 Mages, 2 Paladins, the 2 classes I consistently get 7+ wins.

1-3, 0-3, 3-3, 2-3.

It's all the new players. There are clearly outrageous amounts of beginner's luck swirling about in the ether right now.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote: »

1-3, 0-3, 3-3, 2-3.

It's all the new players. There are clearly outrageous amounts of beginner's luck swirling about in the ether right now.

Yeah the worst part about my recent arena losses is that the people beating me are drafting magma rager gold shire footman etc.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Just always play mage. One of you has to win!
    I don't know how to unlock mage in arena.

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

1-3, 0-3, 3-3, 2-3.

Yeah the worst part about my recent arena losses is that the people beating me are drafting magma rager gold shire footman etc.
    I wish I lost to decks like that. My losses, 2 out of 3 times, are to fucking perfect starting hands with godly draws and all the perfect answers, rendering my plays essentially irrelevant.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Still not convinced the blood imp change is a nerf

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I think blizzard just expects everyone to run some form of AoE pretty much, so the imp doesn't live that many turns.

Also I just lived the dream of mindgaming out a Tirion - he never got far enough in his deck to draw it himself.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    This game needs a bad beats thread to vent. I was an inch from getting my 12th W, had deathwing on the table with my opponent empty handed, he draws neutralize... then after I take board control again he draws starfire out of his ass to finish me. #@%$

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I was convinced everyone was going to be playing Warrior beatdown today. I broke out my shaman control deck to a spectacular 3 losses at rank 12...then I pulled out Warrior beatdown again and ranked up. I guess I need to get higher rank before I start seeing Warriors?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »

I think blizzard just expects everyone to run some form of AoE pretty much, so the imp doesn't live that many turns.

Specifically in arena, then, where AoE is not as guaranteed

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited January 2014

It's more of a nerf the more other creatures you have with it. That makes it a pretty big nerf to the warlock aggro, but not so bad at all in arena when your curve is basically guaranteed not to produce a creature every turn.

EDIT: to make that make sense

Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »

Specifically in arena, then, where AoE is not as guaranteed

the nerf was not targeted at arena

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well it happened. Got offered warlock, hunter, priest in arena (my 3 worst classes). Ended up going hunter and getting to 4/3, not bad.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    picked priest in arena. was given the options to draft 9 circle of healings. oh rng.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    so...how many did you take? :D

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    picked priest in arena. was given the options to draft 9 circle of healings. oh rng.

There is always Artosis' Dream: turn 2 coin into injured blademaster, circle of healing. voila! turn 2 4/7.

• Options
    edited January 2014

If you were offered 9 fireballs, how many would you take? How about swipes? Question is to everybody.

EDIT: Followup: if you were playing an arena deck with 9 fireballs in it, and you were going second and were dealt 4 of them in your opening hand, how many would you mulligan?

Invictus on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    take all the swipes
    mulligan one of them

hero power up and let them build that board until turn four, then obliterate it

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    AgentMayhemAgentMayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Invictus wrote: »

If you were offered 9 fireballs, how many would you take? How about swipes? Question is to everybody.

EDIT: Followup: if you were playing an arena deck with 9 fireballs in it, and you were going second and were dealt 4 of them in your opening hand, how many would you mulligan?

I'd probably take at least 4 fireballs and damn near all of the swipes. After the 3rd or 4th swipe, I'd grab Kobold Geomancer over literally anything. Don't know if any of that is "smart play," but it sounds fun.

Also, to the second question, I would mull all 4 of them. You are all but guaranteed to get at least one back, and having too many in your starter is bad news with that deck.

AgentMayhem on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »

I went 9 wins with a 5 assassinate deck before, back when the cap was 9 wins. I'd think Fireball is better than Assassinate as a "many of" card.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The 9 fireballs might be tricky. I'd probably start taking other cards instead of fireballs depending on what was offered with them before getting to 9.

Swipes I'd take all 9. I had a 6 swipe deck before. Ironically all my losses were to super fast decks because I couldn't draw a swipe.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Hey guys I'm 6-0 in ranked with this shaman control deck. I made it by looking at a top ranked deck I liked and copying every card I could afford with my meager dust pile. Legendaries and epics were just replaced with commons I like. Are there any cards rarity blue and below that could level it up? What should I be looking to get rid of first?

spoilered for tall
    mtRKAJ0.png

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Someone had a 7 swipe deck in SE++

It rocked face, I think he got 12 wins but I am not 100% on that.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    After a long challenging day at work I should NOT play my arena deck... I just went from last nights 2-0 record to a straight 2-3 and done. To add insult to injury I then was unable to manage two wins with rogue OR druid. I feel like an idiot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hey guys I'm 6-0 in ranked with this shaman control deck. I made it by looking at a top ranked deck I liked and copying every card I could afford with my meager dust pile. Legendaries and epics were just replaced with commons I like. Are there any cards rarity blue and below that could level it up? What should I be looking to get rid of first?

spoilered for tall
    mtRKAJ0.png

I would replace that core hound with another boulderfist this very moment. Honestly, i think if boulderfist cost 7, I would still prefer it to a core hound. Similarly, I would replace the dragonling mechanic with a yeti. Same stats, major difference is that the mechanic is more susceptible to AoE, which pretty much everyone runs. Also, one big dude just plays better.

The geomancer and the forked lightnings are both suboptimal. I'd replace them first, probably as a group.

Shattered Sun cleric is actually not great in the deck as constructed, because you have so few 2 drops. Honestly, the kobold is the only minion you have I'd play on turn 2. Unless and until you get more 2drops in, the SSC is not good because you'll rarely get to use the ability until later, when it's not nearly as good. I think Harvest Golem or Scarlet Crusader would be much better for you.

EDIT: given how few 2drops and how much removal you're playing, you're clearly playing a more controlly style. That's fine, but the SSC really isn't very good in that situation. I might add another unbound elemental too, honestly.

Invictus on
  • Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

1-3, 0-3, 3-3, 2-3.

I fought someone last night who played, no word of a lie, 3 magma ragers. I almost lost. It was just so damn confusing, and I was really wishing I could see a consecration draw.. but no.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Well, I've encountered it. The absolute zero of game-one arena luck. Look into the abyss and know despair:
    2dsuwo.jpg

For additional context:

Yes, you can correctly assume from that one-durability Stormforged Axe in my hand that there were once two more Murlocs on that board.

Depicted: literally every two-mana minion in my deck other than a Kobold Geomancer.

Also depicted: every multi-target spell I was offered in that draft.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ahahaha. A warlock playing a murloc deck in arena. That is great.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I can't even be mad, because it's just so ridiculous.

The good news is that I'm not going 0-3 with that awful deck, because in Game 2 a Druid naturalized my healing totem on turn 2 and then left the game on turn 3.

EDIT: Okay, I'm totally not being fair to this deck at all. If I don't get murloc rushed, I do have two Spellbreakers, three Fire Elementals and an Earth Elemental.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So what is the standard hunter rush deck these days comprised of? A beast deck seems to lack a lot of the oomph of good abilities or guaranteed value (besides UtH/Scavenging/Buzzard shenanigans).

milski on
    I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.