As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - Sight Beyond Sight

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Witch-eyes are a shockingly accurate description.

• Options
    cfsbrawlcfsbrawl Registered User regular
    Before I saw the perspective I really thought there was a giant Gabe sitting on the couch.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I find that capability slightly more intriguing than disturbing, but the idea that it could tell when my willpower is depleted and then give me an ad, is worrisome. This isn't a proven capability at the moment, just educated speculation.

If the Kinect (or any camera) could detect pupil size, it would open up a whole new level of scaling game difficulty. A puzzle game could be made more and more difficult until you’re taxed just the right amount to get you in the zone –something psychologists call “psychological flow.” And in fact, we may not actually need the camera to be able to detect pupil sizes. One study that looked at psychological flow in piano players found that heart rate variability, respiration, and the movement of certain facial muscles were highly indicative of the state.
    Or what about knowing when to offer you a helping hand? If the Kinect can tell the point at which you’ve given up on a puzzle or sequence because your pupils shrink back to normal, it might offer you a hint. Possibly in a condescending tone.

Another, more unsettling implication would be that if the Kinect could tell when you are stressed and mentally taxed, it could use that opportunity to sell you stuff.

• Options
    dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Registered User regular
    You want "worrisome"? This feature will be built into smartphone hardware within a decade.

• Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    We've already got Internet Social Media wanting every last piece of personal information they can get, google glasses, now Kinect. By 2020 every print of the dictionary will have a camera where the word privacy used to be.

Invertin on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    dfjdejulio wrote: »
    You want "worrisome"? This feature will be built into smartphone hardware within a decade.
    And I'm sure somebody has already pitched how this can be used to detect crime somehow.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    What else is in the garbage with the Xbox? Is it myrrh?

• Options
    GeekBabelGeekBabel Registered User regular
    not that this isn't a legitimate concern, but has there been a recent boost of awareness of this issue somewhere? I feel like this is the first thing people talked about when this console was announced. Should I be aware of some off-site discussion going on about this or are they just bringing it up again personally?

Also, dat Thundercats reference *snarff* *snarff*

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    At first, the Xbox doing this crazy shit of observing you didn't concern me whatsoever.

And then as these reports of the NSA using video games as vehicles for spying started coming up, I got increasingly wary. WoW and Angry Birds pretty much sealed the deal - the Xbox can fucking shove it. And it's the government's fault. Sorry MS.

It's sad too because the Xbox does one thing with the Kinect that I think is awesome. The most recent NBA game will give you a technical foul if it hears you cursing at the game, just like how coaches get technical fouls in the actual sport for the same behavior. That is ballsy and awesome on the dev's part.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One mans creepy Orwellian intrusion is another mans neat gimmick.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Tycho wrote:
    They should try to talk to Karen Traviss if they can, as she loved Gears as much as anyone who ever worked on it, even as a hired gun.
    Nopenopenopenope

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    At first, the Xbox doing this crazy shit of observing you didn't concern me whatsoever.

And then as these reports of the NSA using video games as vehicles for spying started coming up, I got increasingly wary. WoW and Angry Birds pretty much sealed the deal - the Xbox can fucking shove it. And it's the government's fault. Sorry MS.

It's sad too because the Xbox does one thing with the Kinect that I think is awesome. The most recent NBA game will give you a technical foul if it hears you cursing at the game, just like how coaches get technical fouls in the actual sport for the same behavior. That is ballsy and awesome on the dev's part.

If you have the PS4 camera, it does the same for the PS4 version of the game.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry but this comic, for some damn reason, made me laugh until it was physically painful to laugh. It's all the second panel... it's just... perfect.

• Options
    OgreSmasherOgreSmasher Registered User regular
    And that's why I'm sticking to PC gaming, with a piece of black tape stuck over my webcam.

• Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    I know nothing about Xbox Fitness so maybe there's a mode where you and a friend take turns or something, but is Tycho watching Gabe exercise? Do people just watch each other exercise?

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I know nothing about Xbox Fitness so maybe there's a mode where you and a friend take turns or something, but is Tycho watching Gabe exercise? Do people just watch each other exercise?

How do you know Tycho doesn't like watching him exercise?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular

seems so
    280113614_urJug-L-2.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    What else is in the garbage with the Xbox? Is it myrrh?

Crystallised demon blood.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    exup35exup35 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I learned very quickly to turn off voice activation when using teamspeak/Ventrilo when playing FPS games with friends. During a prolonged bout of being spawn camped and having havoc wreacked on our side I couldn't stop a tirade of expletives, I think I went on for about 5 minutes without repeating a word once, which is probably some kind of record. I went to PTT not long after.