As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ghostbusters] Goodbye, Harold Ramis. You're sorely missed.

1234568»

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, they probably would've hand drawn the streams rather than scratching since they could've controlled the output frame to frame.

But think of any old film you might have seen and any bizarre imperfections that you might've noticed are usually a result of the negative being damaged in some way. As I understand it, the technique for doing it for a specific outcome is harder than would be worthwhile. So yeah, they likely would've simply hand drawn what they wanted if cell overlay wasn't a thing.

One thing is for certain, no matter how ugly the devil dog looked running around, it was nowhere near as bad as the rancor in RotJ. Even in the newer, 'cleaned' up editions it still looks like shit. At least the devil dog is supposed to be otherworldly.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Scratching negatives was done for things like lightning back in like the silent era.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Probably should go in one of the "interesting" threads but I did get to see the first animated film. Ever.

It was done by scratching blank celluloid and having it sync up to some music.

Can someone who's not on a phone find that Mythbusters clip I mentioned last page? Wanna see if anyone else gets the "proton stream" vibe I got from it.

newSig.jpg
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Nocren wrote: »
    Probably should go in one of the "interesting" threads but I did get to see the first animated film. Ever.

Can someone who's not on a phone find that Mythbusters clip I mentioned last page? Wanna see if anyone else gets the "proton stream" vibe I got from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOwH18YdN7s

starts at the ~2min mark

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    @Foefaller‌ You link doesn't work.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

Optical printers were pretty amazing tools for their time.

@Foefaller‌ You link doesn't work.

pretty sure it will now, accidentally added a \ that didn't belong.

steam_sig.png
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    I watched this the other day and was really surprised how well a lot of the effects held up. They all still worked, and a lot of it still looks good. The one thing that looks horrible now, and I wonder how it looked at the time, is when the cgi dog is chasing Rick Morranis. The puppets are fine, but the cgi parts with the chase look really bad now.

That's not cgi, that's stop-motion. Stop-motion always looked terrible, that's not a product of age. We just had to deal with it, how else are you going to get terror dogs running amok in New York?

Is it stop motion? I can't find the scene on youtube, it looks animated. I'm not talking about this scene, where I think everything still looks fine today
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i13POQtbzjo
    but the scene right after where he's being chased. I thought it was one of the first forms of CGI. You have slimer, who looks good in his scenes, the demon dog was just jarring chasing him around. It wasn't so much that that part looked bad I guess, I think I was more surprised with how well everything else looked and how bad the demon running looked.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It was the same problem the rancor had. Generally all stop-motion has this problem, especially when it's spliced into live-action footage.

Everything else looked 'fine' because it was a puppet. It had weight. It could 'interact' with the actors. But stop motion can only interact with itself. You don't notice it with the AT-ATs in ESB because they're either too large to put in scale with humans or they're essentially on their own. Plus, they're machines so moving mechanically isn't as noticeable as something organic.

Like the devil dog or rancor. When the devil dog runs around the city, it looks like it's floating because there was no point of reference whilst animating it compared to Central Park West. So they animated it like a dog running around. It might've helped if they'd had a scale model of CPW.

Basically:
    Sitting still - puppet
    Moving - stop motion

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity how was slimer and the librarian ghost made? Cause slimer looks pretty good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hNgGVDfNs

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I THINK Slimer is just a puppet they shot on it's own, doing stuff, then literally layed the film cell on top of the shots of the actors doing stuff.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Yup. Same with the librarian. With her, they cross-faded from the actress to the puppet and then put it over any background they needed.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qiZ7AYbAxDw

All puppets and stop motion with some blur on the moving dog.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    This thread is starting to make me feel old.

I never realized it until watching that video, but they did the lighting on the dog as it runs across the car really well.

It was the same problem the rancor had. Generally all stop-motion has this problem, especially when it's spliced into live-action footage.

Unless your name is Ray Harryhausen.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I blame the stop-motion dog quality on budget/time constraints, as the puppeteer work and honestly most of the stop-motion in the rest of the film is of much higher quality. Those few seconds were probably on the end of the list to complete, and so they didn't have as much time as they would have liked.

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    The ghosts and other effects in Ghostbusters are a testament to the greatness of practical visual effects. They have a realness and physicality to them that CGI still sorely lacks, in my opinion.

As an example, compare the proton streams to, say, the electricity of Electro in the The Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailers. The latter looks like a bad video game; the former still looks awesome.

I really, really wish more practical visual effects were used nowadays.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am finally getting through the 2009 Ghostbusters video game. It was written by Akroyd and Ramis, so it is definitely Ghostbusters 3.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Bustin' from the other side now.
    physi_marc wrote: »
    The ghosts and other effects in Ghostbusters are a testament to the greatness of practical visual effects. They have a realness and physicality to them that CGI still sorely lacks, in my opinion.

I think practical effects get over-looked a lot these days because it's just so easy to decide to CG something. You can achieve a lot of amazing things that simply weren't possible to do before (the super hero movies of the 80s and 90s vs the current Marvel universe) but I think a lot of better result and craftsmanship of older techniques gets overlooked. I'm reminded of a review of Anaconda (or some other giant snake movie) that drew attention to the fact that the giant one tonne snake never broke or shook branches as it was whipping through the trees, and even in tight shots where a puppet could've worked, they used CG, and you had actors' eyes not quite aligning with what was supposedly in front of them.

Don't know when it came out, but the LEGO Ecto 1 is available.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Don't know when it came out, but the LEGO Ecto 1 is available.

It came out early June, I believe. It's a pretty nice set, only real complaint is that you can't fit everyone inside with their proton packs.

This is kind of old, but it goes with the LEGO thing. There's this guy who built a scale replica of the firehouse to fit with his custom Ecto-1.

I want that so bad.

Anybody know if LEGO is planning to delete the kit any time soon? The Back to the Future kit was only out for barely a year and they stopped making it and I missed out on not paying way too much to get it. I don't want to miss out on this at $50 and I need to budget my money for it.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    ...I just want everyone to know that yes, this is happening, right now.

I can't think of a more perfect way to do a new movie. I can't believe this hadn't been immediately thought of before.

I wish Ramis were still here for this, but oh well. It's going to be fantastic.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Anyone else not feeling the stripes? Both on the boots and the flight suits--eh, I don't know. Sometimes less is more.

The converted ambulance looks excellent though. As do the proton packs, from what I can see.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I feel so... whelmed. I am hopefuly, but not excited.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2015
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Anyone else not feeling the stripes? Both on the boots and the flight suits--eh, I don't know. Sometimes less is more.

The converted ambulance looks excellent though. As do the proton packs, from what I can see.

I sort-of agree, but they make sense from an industrial design standpoint: you'd want reflectors on suits that you're wearing in mostly dark spaces, especially if you're waving around something like a proton pack wand.

I'm sure the new Ecto will come to grow on me, but I'm already missing Ecto-1. I mean, I get it; we can't just keep driving around the same old car. But I love that old car.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I still dislike the over sized single light.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I watched this the other day and was really surprised how well a lot of the effects held up. They all still worked, and a lot of it still looks good. The one thing that looks horrible now, and I wonder how it looked at the time, is when the cgi dog is chasing Rick Morranis. The puppets are fine, but the cgi parts with the chase look really bad now.

That's not cgi, that's stop-motion. Stop-motion always looked terrible, that's not a product of age. We just had to deal with it, how else are you going to get terror dogs running amok in New York?
    Nah, stop motion is awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/ciUf2TP.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Av0igWb.gif

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...I just want everyone to know that yes, this is happening, right now.

I can't think of a more perfect way to do a new movie. I can't believe this hadn't been immediately thought of before.

I wish Ramis were still here for this, but oh well. It's going to be fantastic.

The link is fan art? W'happen?

Oh brilliant
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

I'm fairly certain that AT-AT animation is technically go-motion, which is stop motion with motion blurs added to make it look less like stop motion.
    That said, stop motion or go motion that's done well is awesome. When done poorly, it's substantially less awesome to watch.

You have to build to-scale sets to get that look for stop-motion, though. The AT-ATs still hold up and look like they have real weight because they were on a real miniatures display rather than being super imposed onto a location.

With Love and Courage
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

You have to build to-scale sets to get that look for stop-motion, though. The AT-ATs still hold up and look like they have real weight because they were on a real miniatures display rather than being super imposed onto a location.

Yeah, it's the stop-motion demon-dog being superimposed into the camera shot footage that doesn't hold up. stop-motion is still a technique that can produce fantastic looking effects and even full movies.

steam_sig.png
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I felt that the dog demon movement would be more realistic if they looked less bulky

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Boy that jelly bean video seems like a lot of work.

The results are impressive, but when I think about how much damn time that must've taken, I wonder if it was truly worth it.

RT800 wrote: »

The results are impressive, but when I think about how much damn time that must've taken, I wonder if it was truly worth it.

Yeah, that's the other problem with stop motion: the number of hours of filming, posing & editing required to produce each minute worth of animation.

I don't think any art form ever becomes obsolete, but stop motion certainly seems like a contender in an age where virtually anything you could accomplish with that technique can much more easily be accomplished with digital effect (or hybrid digital/practical effects).

With Love and Courage
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Yeah, that's the other problem with stop motion: the number of hours of filming, posing & editing required to produce each minute worth of animation.

I don't think any art form ever becomes obsolete, but stop motion certainly seems like a contender in an age where virtually anything you could accomplish with that technique can much more easily be accomplished with digital effect (or hybrid digital/practical effects).

The team that did Paranorman saved a lot of time by 3D printing the facial expressions on the characters. Like traditional hand drawn animation, technology has made stop motion far more accessible and time saving for the average person.