As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] of the human boiling

ronyaronya Arrrrrf.the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
edited February 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
The questions which I group together as sex questions have not been party questions in the past. But that was because they were never, or seldom, the subject of public discussion. All this is changed now. There are no subjects about which the big general public is more interested; few which are the subject of wider discussion. They are of the utmost social importance; they cannot help but provoke real and sincere differences of opinion. Some of them are deeply involved in the solution of certain economic questions. I cannot doubt that sex questions are about to enter the political arena. The very crude beginnings represented by the suffrage movement were only symptoms of deeper and more important issues below the surface.

Birth control and the use of contraceptives, marriage laws, the treatment of sexual offences and abnormalities, the economic position of women, the economic position of the family—in all these matters the existing state of the law and of orthodoxy is still medieval— altogether out of touch with civilised opinion and civilised practice and with what individuals, educated and uneducated alike, say to one another in private. Let no one deceive himself with the idea that the change of opinion on these matters is one which only affects a small educated class on the crust of the human boiling. Let no one suppose that it is the working women who are going to be shocked by ideas of birth control or of divorce reform. For them these things suggest new liberty, emancipation from the most intolerable of tyrannies. A party which would discuss these things openly and wisely at its meetings would discover a new and living interest in the electorate—because politics would be dealing once more with matters about which everyone wants to know and which deeply affect everyone's own life.

These questions also interlock with economic issues which cannot be evaded. Birth control touches on one side the liberties of women, and on the other side the duty of the State to concern itself with the size of the population just as much as with the size of the army or the amount of the budget. The position of wage-earning women and the project of the family wage affect not only the status of women, the first in the performance of paid work, and the second in the performance of unpaid work, but also raise the whole question whether wages should be fixed by the forces of supply and demand in accordance with the orthodox theories of laissez-faire, or whether we should begin to limit the freedom of those forces by reference to what is ‘fair’ and ‘reasonable’ having regard to all the circumstances.

Keynes, 1925.

[img]http://ipolitics_assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/keynes-1024x588.jpeg[/img]

aRkpc.gif
ronya on

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Mmm Keynes

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ronya, are you trying to get me fired for having this tab open?

you crafty sumbitch

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Sounds like old man talk.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    this is the second most misleading chat title I've ever seen

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    This is right up there for worst [chat]s to have open in a tab.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    oh fine, I'll change it.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Eff that, ronya! Let the free market dictate who can and can not have this chat open!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I think women should be given the right to vote, if for no other reason than if we didn't indulge the suffrage movement, we'd never hear the end of it from our wives.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Oh yeah sexy ukelele action up in dis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYfyp9osjM

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Foiled again by Singaporean authoritarianism.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I feel real weird. right now.

Real, real weird.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

I think women should be given the right to vote, if for no other reason than if we didn't indulge the suffrage movement, we'd never hear the end of it from our wives.

This is Keynes we are talking about.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Also, I'm with two strangers in a class team for an assignment.

Problem: One of them might've dropped out and won't actually communicate back with us.

Problematic.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I don't what it is about Keynes but I have never been able to understand a damn thing he writes.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Allegedly a corgi.

clydey_bob.jpg

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Look who's popular Ronya

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Sigh. Friend who we took to the psych ward and then lost contact with is back to live-posting a psychotic break on Facebook.

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »
    I don't what it is about Keynes but I have never been able to understand a damn thing he writes.

I do rather like the diction.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

academia in a nutshell

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Problem: One of them might've dropped out and won't actually communicate back with us.

Problematic.
    Yes, that is pretty much working as intended

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Cinders wrote: »
    Look who's popular Ronya

i'd have named it What to [chat] about [sex questions] instead, but eh

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Problematic.

Best part: The work is meant for teams of 4 people.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    You can almost see the grammarians of Eton and Cambridge nod solemnly to the active phrasing of that last quoted paragraph

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Problematic.

It is a test to see how you deal with working with reduced resources.
    Also, a test to see which one of you will throw the absentee member under the bus first.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Slow [chat] is slow...which doesn't help as I am looking at my phone every couple of minutes expecting a call from the realtor.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    HerrCron wrote: »

Problematic.

It is a test to see how you deal with working with reduced resources.
    Also, a test to see which one of you will throw the absentee member under the bus first.

We're basically gonna tell the prof about it tomorrow...

But it shouldn't be too hard, i'm pretty awesome at schoolwork.

• Options
    HIkfhas.png

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Some conservatives got mad over Coca Cola's superbowl ad featuring people singing the national anthem in different languages.
    Allen West wrote:
    I am quite sure there may some who appreciated the commercial, but Coca Cola missed the mark in my opinion. If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing “American the Beautiful” in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition. This was a truly disturbing commercial for me, what say you?

One of the languages sung was Pueblo. They should have just had the entire thing sung in Pueblo for irony's sake.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Problematic.

Every group assignment in the history of school has been completely by fewer people than intended.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Some conservatives got mad over Coca Cola's superbowl ad featuring people singing the national anthem in different languages.
    Allen West wrote:
    I am quite sure there may some who appreciated the commercial, but Coca Cola missed the mark in my opinion. If we cannot be proud enough as a country to sing “American the Beautiful” in English in a commercial during the Super Bowl, by a company as American as they come — doggone we are on the road to perdition. This was a truly disturbing commercial for me, what say you?
    One of the languages sung was Pueblo. They should have just had the entire thing sung in Pueblo for irony's sake.

Wouldn't the point of that ad (that i didn't see) be that Coca Cola is American, but enjoyed the world over?

• Options

Problematic.

Every group assignment in the history of school has been completely by fewer people than intended.

Sure, but i have 5 different classes, each with a t least 1 (in some cases 2) big semester assignments.

Like, i don't doubt i could do it, I just think it'll mean I'll have less time to work on other stuff, y'know...

Like, not-school stuff.

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    HIkfhas.png

any day now...

• Options
    maybe they'll make a hologram william blake to rap alongside tupac

you never know

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Allen West wrote:

Wouldn't the point of that ad (that i didn't see) be that Coca Cola is American, but enjoyed the world over?

It is a multiculturalism America is diverse sort of thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8iM73E6JP8
    Also it was America the Beautiful and not the National Anthem, which sucks donkey balls so that was a good choice by Coca Cola.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

People the world over don't sing America, the Beautiful.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Problematic.

Sure, but i have 5 different classes, each with a t least 1 (in some cases 2) big semester assignments.

Like, i don't doubt i could do it, I just think it'll mean I'll have less time to work on other stuff, y'know...

Like, not-school stuff.

Oh yea, I did not mean it was good or not a big deal.

It sucks and it's terrible and makes me want to smack every teacher/professor for making it happen.

BUT, it's to be expected and in no way surprising.

• Options
    im sure this is Obamas fault

if there's one thing im know for a fact, i know this woudn't have happened with a white president

i know this like Sarah Palin knows things

i just know

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

People the world over don't sing America, the Beautiful.

Americans probably think they do.

They're self-centered enough to think that.

Unlike us polite Canadians.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i know it's just marketing and trying to sell coke

but good on coca cola on that and good on cheerios for showing the multiracial parents again

fuk u racests get mad

poo
  • Options

Problematic.

Like, not-school stuff.

Oh yea, I did not mean it was good or not a big deal.

It sucks and it's terrible and makes me want to smack every teacher/professor for making it happen.

BUT, it's to be expected and in no way surprising.

Expected? I think in my post-secondary academic career, it's the first time it happens...

And i've been at it for... 6 and a half years, at least. That's 13 semester! And that's terrible.

This discussion has been closed.