As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spelunky] is the sound novices make when they hit the bottom.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Well today i managed to get in the Mauri head, and without thinking i threw a bomb, and blew myself up... inside the head.

Shit.

Also im adding steam peeps, steam name is infinityguru for spelunky.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I just had a 1-2 with no shop or damsel, although I did have a Kali shrine.

I literally didn't even think it was possible for 1-2 to spawn without a shop? So I wasted ropes climbing all the way back to the top looking for it.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    Blegh, I'm well on my way to unlocking the "1000 times played" achievement before even getting near the "Complete the Game" achievement

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Aw yeah, #1 on the daily.

Because I started it right at the reset and despite just playing very well working on a 0 gold run, I flailed about like a gibbering madman and died on 1-2.

Number 1! Number 1! Number 1!

• Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    I found a new way to die today!

Rock bouncing up and down on one of the sci-fi trampolines in frost caves.

Get hit by the rock.

Bounce up and down while unconscious with the rock, getting hit over and over and losing all 15 of my life points one by one.

Really, I should have seen it coming.

• Options
    Today's daily I wasn't playing super well, especially with not being careful of the trap pointed at the shopkeeper, but scraped by early on and got several of the vaults ghost mined. Made it to city of gold and find a mummy in perfect position to farm vomit from, so I get > 50 health before moving on, but decide I should go find the shopkeepers shotgun before I go.

...don't notice a thwomp because I'm too focused on the scarab and get squashed. Yay!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I continued my trend of completely choking dailies.

I even warmed up this time with a couple runs, both of which were decent by my standards - I reached the jungle both times with good items, health, etc.

Then I died on 1-2 in the daily in a ridiculously stupid fashion.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I think I've turned the Spelunky corner. I'm getting to the Ice Caves and Temple every time, and robbing the Black Market every time.

That Olmec victory eludes me though. I always get there with almost nothing. I just had a decent go at him, bombing out a hole for him, but I couldn't get him in there, and he ended up crusing me against the side of the hole ehen I tried to tempt him in.

But I'm close.

If I haven't beaten him before, and I do it whilst having the Book of The Dead, should I go on to Hell, or does that not count as a win?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Ithiiiink you don't get the mark until you go into the door. It's the same with killin Yama. Cause you could still die.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    I think I've turned the Spelunky corner. I'm getting to the Ice Caves and Temple every time, and robbing the Black Market every time.

That Olmec victory eludes me though. I always get there with almost nothing. I just had a decent go at him, bombing out a hole for him, but I couldn't get him in there, and he ended up crusing me against the side of the hole ehen I tried to tempt him in.

But I'm close.

If I haven't beaten him before, and I do it whilst having the Book of The Dead, should I go on to Hell, or does that not count as a win?

Assuming you have a way to climb back up the hole, just go to the bottom of it yourself and make a little side tunnel near the bottom.

You can make him stomp all the way down and then just side step him at the end.

• Options
    Yeah! Nailed the fucker.

2014-03-23-200253.jpgIt felt like a lot more than 333 tries.  I got a weird Temple seed. Didn't see a single Thwomp, but there was a shop on 4-2, and 4-3 was a dark level. I had all the gear needed for Hell, but in 4-1 I ended up right by the exit without seeing Anubis, and I wasn't going back to find him.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Played for the first time in months, got to the city of gold for the first time in the new version

Then saw an interesting book and decided to use one of my two bombs left to go after it

Apparently it summons enemies

• Options
    Made it to olmec on a $0 run. Had him over halfway down to the lava before misjudging how high he can climb and getting squashed. :/

I...have almost no practice killing him without bombing a hole myself.

I should probably do some of that before I make another effort. I should have just tried to kill him like it was a speedrun, but I couldn't recall if he immediately destroyed gems/gold when he breaks the layer it's in or not, and didn't want to find out the hard way.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Played for the first time in months, got to the city of gold for the first time in the new version

Then saw an interesting book and decided to use one of my two bombs left to go after it

Apparently it summons enemies

That's the necronomicon, it opens the way to Hell, it works similarly to the eye. Here's a fun fact if you grab the book and don't kill Anubis II, he'll just keep chasing you through levels until you kill him.

He is at least easier than the first incarnation in that he doesn't shoot one shot kill beams.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm sure I could defeat him if I tried

But I was sitting there at like, one bomb, one rope, two health

With no idea what to expect

So my corpse struck the killing blow instead

• Options
    Just got the key to Tunnel Man on my first ever try. Stole a jetpack in 2-1 and after that it was easy.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Brex beat Hardlunky on the hardest setting the other day. I watched it live and it was insane.

http://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex/c/3899553

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Brex beat Hardlunky on the hardest setting the other day. I watched it live and it was insane.

Holy crap, this is just absolutely insane.

Aside from the generally insane difficulty of sashavol spelunky, just the huge number of things that could have gone wrong in the last couple hell levels (especially since he didn't have the amulet) makes this amazing.

• Options
    Aw, was doing rather well today, but I had to stop and afk for a long long time to take care of babby, and like happens every time I'm interrupted, I'm completely off and die relatively shortly after I start up again.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular

This is insane, after a week of me dieing on normal on about 1-4 repeatedly, i feel shamed

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I MADE IT TO YAMA.

I got stunned into some spikes damn near immediately but I MADE IT THERE.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    I had a good run going last night, I had the amulet on 3-2 and then failed to aggro the shopkeeper at the exit properly and he shotgunned me into the abyss. Then after respawning and dealing with him, I explored the rest of the map and found a Kali shrine.

The very first yeti I tried to sacifice was bouncing on a bouncy pad, I jetpacked near it in midair and tried to whip it and it grabbed me and threw me and I fell into the abyss again.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Also I'm almost at 900 attempts without a victory. Alas.

Although to be fair, a good portion of those were speedruns, including many resets. Because I do thinks backwardsly.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    facetious wrote: »
    I had a good run going last night, I had the amulet on 3-2 and then failed to aggro the shopkeeper at the exit properly and he shotgunned me into the abyss. Then after respawning and dealing with him, I explored the rest of the map and found a Kali shrine.

The very first yeti I tried to sacifice was bouncing on a bouncy pad, I jetpacked near it in midair and tried to whip it and it grabbed me and threw me and I fell into the abyss again.

I haven't tried it in the air like that, but yetis are immune to the whip while walking/standing at least.

• Options
    ..... I forgot about that.

Damn.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I choked yet another daily.
    I killed the shopkeeper on 1-2 successfully, had his shotgun going into 1-3

dropped down and tried to shotgun a spider in midair, mistimed it and ended up shooting an explosive chest I hadn't seen at the floor of the next level and blew myself up.

I'm usually really good about looking down before I jump to another level in case of spikes, etc., but I am physically incapable of not being a fucking moron during dailies.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Thought I'd try my hand at a little Speedlunkying. I can get through the mines in about a minute, but not being able to sticky bomb my way past every tiki trap sure is making the jungle tough. I also just got a level where the only way through was Bee City. As in, the second layer had a horizontal Bee hive, with an opening to the top level on the left, and an opening to the second level on the far right. And all the places at the side of the hive were too thick to bomb through quickly.

Fuck bees.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    ..... I forgot about that.

Damn.

Also you can just jump on them, stunning them easily.

Or kill them, if you've got the spike shoes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Yeah I had the spike shoes, so I didn't want to jump on them, since you gain more favour from Kali for live mobs.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Alas.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Beat Olmec on my 135th try. Now for Yama.

I'm still disappointed that the 360 version doesn't have the daily challenge. I wish I knew before I bought it.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »

I'm still disappointed that the 360 version doesn't have the daily challenge. I wish I knew before I bought it.

damnit beel

how else am I going to know I'm better then you!!!!

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    B:L wrote: »

damnit beel

how else am I going to know I'm better then you!!!!
    It is a mystery. :trollface:

Today's run, got the wadjet eye, decided not to piss off the shopkeeper and bought a mystery box to get a jetpack, open up a crate and get a compass, get a snake pit and dig up a mattock, found the black market and had enough gold to just buy the ankh, found the moai head and killed myself to pick up the headjet, escaped the ice caves to get to the temple, found Anubis and learned the hard way that bombs instantly explode upon contact with lava.

NEXT TIME, YAMA

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Whoops, that giant spider was right next to the shop floor.

I suspect @facetious knows what I mean

• Options
    edited April 2014
    That's actually not what I died to.

It was way stupider than that.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I keep getting to Olmec with the Book, and almost no bombs, and dying trying to get him to smash his way down.

Or, I get like all of the bombs, and die before The Big Giant Head.

I hate you Spelunky!

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I made it to Hell!

I died on 5-1 when some, thing bopped me onto some spikes.

But still, progress! After not even getting to the Temple in the last few days, I was starting to lose hope.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Hell tips
    in either the left hand or right hand side of Hell, there will always be a tower. In that tower is Vlad, and if you don't have a jetpack he has a unique cape that give you a double jump that is useful. He also guards an amulet that makes you immune to all fire, including lava. You can enter this tower at the bottom of the level, but it's much easier and safer to bomb your way in and kill vlad with a bomb.

It's even worth it to use your last bombs doing this. There are two enemies in the final boss room that will both drop a box of twelve bombs when they die, so you don't need to worry about having them against him.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Attempt #922:
    nvxxtt.jpg

This came as a rather huge shock after some deplorably bad attempts after failing the daily in a hilariously dumb fashion (accidentally whipping the idol while attacking a spider that fell next to it, thereby setting off the trap before I'd prepared a rope) - I was rushing too much like usual, taking completely unnecessary damage. I finally ordered myself to calm down and.. well, it worked.

I felt fairly confident after getting to the black market without angering shopkeepers, and even having enough gold to buy a jetpack legitimately in the jungle, and I had just enough gold (after bombing some crust in the bm) to buy a shotgun which I used to clear out the shopkeepers and grab a ton of bombs (I think I left with 72) and the ankh.

I felt less confident after losing the ankh on 3-1 in a dumb fashion and having both my and the shopkeeper's shotguns fall into the abyss. Fortunately, I managed to kill the next exit shopkeeper in such a way I kept his shotgun - plus, that was when I got my first altar of the seed. And I ended up getting three in a row to not only get a Kapala but also invigoration. Thanks, yetis and puppies (although I also finally got the Casanova achievement, so I did my part to help the puppies as well).

It was only like my .. fifth time in the temple? Even though I unlocked the shortcut a while ago, I've been more focused on practicing _reaching_ it. So I was super careful - I even got a chance to farm some mummy vomit, although only for about 6 health before my janky setup failed (I ran out of ropes setting it up and put them in shitty spots, so I ended up having to hover with my jetpack while the vomit fell then grab the rope in between each cycle) and the mummy fell down.

I killed Anubis pretty easily with bombs (I had the pitcher's mitt) and spent like five seconds seriously considering a hell run before I decided I should probably just try to beat the game normally first.

Then 4-2 was a fucking dark level but after throwing the torch around and taking some damage, I just ended up bombing to the exit and sneaking past the shopkeeper.

And then finally, I met Olmec for the first time and after some nervous maneouvreing to get used to how to aggro him (and nearly getting crushed once), I planted him on one side of the screen and just bombed a crater for him to fall in and sauntered my way to victory.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    I just got into 4-1, and immediately got the little florish and light that means Anubis died.

Huh, wonder what hap-

2014-04-11-185606.jpg

Spelunky, you utter bastard.

Also, just under that picture, sort of where the arrow's pointing? Another Thwomp.

ZD98Zka.png