As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, February 4, 2014 - The Dawn of Toots

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
The Dawn of Toots

The Dawn of Toots
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/the-dawn-of-toots

Timewasting with a side of insult

Anonymous

I was working at a 200+ person game studio. We were getting towards the end of a big release when our team were called out for a mandatory presentation. This didn’t worry us, since this company didn’t make a habit of mass layoffs – firing staff for two weeks every year then rehiring them to keep our wages down, yes, but that’s another story.

We shuffle into the big meeting room and are treated to a presentation from one of the lead designers about the upcoming royalties plan. Basic gist was that employees would earn shares in projects as they worked on them, which would equal a certain (small) royalty payment as long as they were still with the company. Doesn’t sound terrible, right? Then he mentioned that the royalty plan was not applicable to QA staff, as they were technically contract workers.
Did I mention I worked in the QA department?

Did I also mention that, at the point he said this, his ENTIRE audience was QA staff?

Obviously having realized that his time was being utterly wasted (we had bug quotas to meet, you know) one of my co-workers asked what incentives would be in place for QA workers. Lead designer responds: “Well you guys are in QA, you should be doing everything you can to get out of there anyway.”

Not only had he wasted our time (attendance was mandatory), but he essentially told us our department didn’t matter and we were wasting our time there as well. So with our time wasted and insult slung, he just carried on with the rest of his presentation.

To end on a happier note, by this time I had accepted an actual development job with another company and was only working my notice period. Looking back, that might’ve been a perfect time for hurling abuse at the guy…

Geth on

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Toots comic best comic.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    One of the best trenches yet.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Did I miss a comic about Toots secreting LSD through his skin or being a hypnotoad or something?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Last month I had a Taco To Go 12pk; that was the dawn of some toots.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Did I miss a comic about Toots secreting LSD through his skin or being a hypnotoad or something?

ALL GLORY TO THE TOOTS

• Options
    QuothzQuothz Registered User new member
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I keep coming back here wondering if anyone else finds this one. . . well, kind of stupid. The rabbit is weird for calmly blinking while being held? Or the employee is some kind of psychic mutant who sees through the rabbits eyes, but things the rabbit is the weird one? I dunno.

Remember, folks: Just because your comic characters do lots of acid doesn't mean you should, too.