As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superhero Movies] Ooga chaka

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I think I'd rather see licensed Calvin and Hobbes merchandise and advertising rather than the stupid Calvin peeing decals people put on their cars.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Her actress is doing a great job of playing someone who's confused and frayed and strung out on pills, for what it's worth

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think I'd rather see licensed Calvin and Hobbes merchandise and advertising rather than the stupid Calvin peeing decals people put on their cars.

Every time Watterson sees one he smashes the window

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    shehulkpg19-68677.jpg
    I like that Soule is having Jen stay She-Hulk'd all the time. It never really made sense to have drama over BUT THAT ISN'T YOU JEN when the only real difference between Jen and Shulk are that Shulk is a little more confident and impulsive.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

Officially licensed merchandise probably wouldn't have stopped shitty bootlegged merchandise from happening.

Just ask our good friend Black Bart Simpson.

• Options
    Also
    MKNIGHT2013001005-sm-5e04e.jpg
    MKNIGHT2013001009-sm-055d7.jpg
    MKNIGHT2013001010-sm-6bed6.jpg

Moon Knight still looks rad as all hell. The first issue has him fighting some sort of Sewer Frankenstein and Ellis has teased future issues with "punching ghosts" and "mushroom dream attack".

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I assumed Jen was permanently Hulked anyway
    has that not always been the case?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Nope, she can turn back at will

She is completely in control when in She-Hulk form though so why bother

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah due to getting diluted gamma exposure via Bruce's blood she basically gets all of the benefits of being a Hulk with none of the downside

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah if I could always be strong and tough and confident and the only tradeoff was I was green I would be Hulked 24/7

• Options
    Also I would like to point out Moon Knight has a trap door in his computer-driven moon themed limo so he can sneak into sewers and shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Except we also won't get a Pixar Calvin and Hobbes film which very realistically could have happened because Pixar wanted to do it.

I mean I respect the man for sticking to his guns, but there are some good uses for licensing out your creation, such as a Calvin and Hobbes Pixar movie.

Not doubting that it'd be possible to make a good--especially pixar--movie from the source material

but man Calvin & Hobbes is not a comic I would ever wish for a movie of

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That's why you need to get officially licensed shitty bootlegged merch.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah due to getting diluted gamma exposure via Bruce's blood she basically gets all of the benefits of being a Hulk with none of the downside

I think she also benefits from not having massive anger issues due to childhood trauma

• Options
    See I just don't get that

I didn't read C&H until I was like 13 so I don't have that nostalgiac bond that a lot of people do, which might be why

But nothing about "hyperactive, creative boy has friends with his imaginary friend/stuffed animal tiger" seems like it would be hard to adapt? You could even have a "machine" that Calvin makes to go to different universes and have brief moments of stuff like Spaceman Spliff or the Pulp Detective I forget.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I think she also benefits from not having massive anger issues due to childhood trauma
    Yeah but even other, less damaged, Hulks have more issues than Jen. Like Betty or Rick

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    can I just say also I love how Moon Knight is colored in those pages

just the barest amount of shading, such a stark white that he seems separate from the rest of the page

• Options

just the barest amount of shading, such a stark white that he seems separate from the rest of the page
    Yuuuup. Best interpretation of his famous I WANT THEM TO SEE ME COMING FOR THEM style I've seen.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

doc samson didn't

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    C&H would be a tough tough tough transition to movie with the comics rarely having sustained arcs. Part of the beauty of the strip was the sporadic and episodic nature of the duo's antics, letting us fill in all of the gaps and even imagine our own adventures of theirs.

A movie wouldn't take any of that away, and could maybe even develop some elements, but trying to create a contained 1-2 hour plot of C&H would lose part of the charm that the comics delivered, because of how neatly succinct and to the point they were.

Now a limited animated series or anthology of animated shorts I'd be more interested in.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I think the fact that Watterson turned down being Peanuts or Garfield rich and adheres so strictly to his notion of artistic purity provides me with way more amusement, fascination and admiration than a Calvin and Hobbes movie or a nice Hobbes plush doll ever could.

Mostly because if I was in his shoes I probably would've sold out so goddamn hard.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Akira and Lone Wolf and Cub were out by then for sure and they're both amazing

My manga knowledge is kinda bad

I bought an omnibus of Lone Wolf and Cub a little while back.

I read the first third or so. Does the story ever develop beyond "there is a conspiracy happening and then a dude and a baby show up and kill everyone in clever and gory ways"?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    that's her secret

she's always angry

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

I don't care much for either solo hulk film, but I appreciate that hulk incorporated banner's psychological problems from childhood abuse which I don't think norton's performance really reflected, not to mention tying the transformation directly to heart rate instead of emotional state

avengers is the best hulk movie, but I feel like ruffalo's performance takes more cues from hulk than the incredible hulk

which is also one of the reasons the incredible hulk feels disassociated from the rest of the mcu to me

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

I read the first third or so. Does the story ever develop beyond "there is a conspiracy happening and then a dude and a baby show up and kill everyone in clever and gory ways"?
    Kiiiinda? There's a lot more of that, but it also gets deeper into the clan rivalry and what sparked this war.

Also there is a 127 page fight scene

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

I don't care much for either solo hulk film, but I appreciate that hulk incorporated banner's psychological problems from childhood abuse which I don't think norton's performance really reflected, not to mention tying the transformation directly to heart rate instead of emotional state

avengers is the best hulk movie, but I feel like ruffalo's performance takes more cues from hulk than the incredible hulk

which is also one of the reasons the incredible hulk feels disassociated from the rest of the mcu to me

definitely. I hate the heart rate thing so much, because to me the Hulk is just so tied into the emotional damage metaphor, and the heart rate thing just feels shallow and devoid of any meaning.

I really like what Waid has done in his Hulk work with showing that Bruce really does have anger issues. the Hulk isn't so much something that happens to him as something that happens because of him.

• Options

Yeah but even other, less damaged, Hulks have more issues than Jen. Like Betty or Rick

Rick isn't really a Hulk, though

and I'm not sure what you mean by "less damaged but have more issues"

I kind of equate damage with issues?

• Options

Sorry I meant issues, specifically, with transformation and not controlling it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    And Ross can control his transformation but risks overheating and dying due to his single-mindedness with accomplishing missions

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I'd want to see a Calvin and Hobbes movie

there would be ads for it plastered everywhere and toys and merchandise and it would all feel a little wrong

But then again, I'm the guy struggling with the fact that Mr. Peabody doesn't sound right in the new movie because I remember waking up at the butt-crack of dawn to watch old reruns of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Fractured Fairy Tales.
    On that note, if the Mr. Peabody and Sherman movie doesn't end with an awful groaner of a pun I will be a little heartbroken

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    barred in avon!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'd want to see a Calvin and Hobbes movie

there would be ads for it plastered everywhere and toys and merchandise and it would all feel a little wrong

But then again, I'm the guy struggling with the fact that Mr. Peabody doesn't sound right in the new movie because I remember waking up at the butt-crack of dawn to watch old reruns of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Mr. Peabody and Sherman and Fractured Fairy Tales.
    On that note, if the Mr. Peabody and Sherman movie doesn't end with an awful groaner of a pun I will be a little heartbroken

Don't forget the awkward pause and the star wipe!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Sorry I meant issues, specifically, with transformation and not controlling it.

ah yeah well

personally I'd say that Betty has more damage than Jen? what with her relationship with her dad and all.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

Kiiiinda? There's a lot more of that, but it also gets deeper into the clan rivalry and what sparked this war.

Also there is a 127 page fight scene

Okay now I'm listening.

I know wanting more drawn out fights in a manga is the dumbest thing to want ever, but I think what bugged me more than anything was his opponents would get hyped to hell but the fights would last about four panels plus the occasional splash page. Which, I guess, is kinda why Ogami Itto is a badass, but it got a bit tiresome after a while.

I'll get back to it soon, then.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

definitely. I hate the heart rate thing so much, because to me the Hulk is just so tied into the emotional damage metaphor, and the heart rate thing just feels shallow and devoid of any meaning.

I really like what Waid has done in his Hulk work with showing that Bruce really does have anger issues. the Hulk isn't so much something that happens to him as something that happens because of him.

Just to note that Bruce turns into the Hulk from anger in Incredible Hulk. The idea is that he's been living with it for five years so he has been spending a massive amount of effort learning to control his anger (not that he doesn't have anger, but to control it, not let it turn him into the hulk. Something Avengers actually follows up on.)

When that military dude tackles Betty though, he loses it.

I will agree that he's a little too serene in that movie. There's some deleted scenes with Doc Samson that filled in some of that though; Bruce breaking down during dinner and later having a discussion with Samson.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Just to note that Bruce turns into the Hulk from anger in Incredible Hulk. The idea is that he's been living with it for five years so he has been spending a massive amount of effort learning to control his anger (not that he doesn't have anger, but to control it, not let it turn him into the hulk. Something Avengers actually follows up on.)

When that military dude tackles Betty though, he loses it.

I will agree that he's a little too serene in that movie. There's some deleted scenes with Doc Samson that filled in some of that though; Bruce breaking down during dinner and later having a discussion with Samson.

His heart rate starts to spike when they're about to bone down too, and he treats it the same way he does anger
    Though I guess we don't know that would trigger it but I feel like Bruce would take that precaution

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't feel like Banner fully understood Hulk in Incredible. It could be that he wasn't completely certain it was tied to emotions, and just figured it was triggered by heart rate, since he didn't have any evidence of it being associated with anything more specific and maybe hadn't (or wouldn't?) make the connection to emotional state. I assume some time between Incredible Hulk and Avengers he made the connection, probably because of the events of Incredible, and that helped feed the character a bit more.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like trying to read more into it than what was expressly stated in the film is pretty silly.

Like, they didn't sit there and go "we'll make this open to interpretation now and then clear it up when Avengers rolls around."

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    I do not know who those people are.

This discussion has been closed.