As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, February 10, 2014 - Viral

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Best comic in quite a while. :^:

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Click 5 stars for your bits to drop off!

Nice parody of Dungeon Keeper Mobiles shenanigans.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

It's super weird and a product-whoring, consumer-unfriendly move on their part. I'm sure this happens in other businesses on the net, I guess this is the first time a high-profile game just kinda does it.

"Give us the best rating. Oh you won't? Now you have to do a bunch of shit to get out of it."

Don't digital platform holders have policies regarding harassing or bribing customers into giving particular ratings?

• Options
    As far as I know, they've broken no specific policies because it isn't technically counted as interfering with rating on the app store.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That finger, guys.

That finger tells a story.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Birthday comic

Oddly appropriate.

C2B on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

It's super weird and a product-whoring, consumer-unfriendly move on their part. I'm sure this happens in other businesses on the net, I guess this is the first time a high-profile game just kinda does it.

"Give us the best rating. Oh you won't? Now you have to do a bunch of shit to get out of it."

Don't digital platform holders have policies regarding harassing or bribing customers into giving particular ratings?

What do people have to do to get out of what? Last I heard is if you rated five stars you were bumped over to the Google store to write a review and if you rated less than that you were asked to provide feedback directly to EA.

Which is still scummy but I wouldn't call it harassment.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    As someone not familiar with the issue I thought something worse than what is actually happening was going down. But if it's what Quid said well honestly considering that most times people are more likely to leave negative feedback rather than positive this just seems like a way to combat that.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    guh im so sick of having to review everything

it's bad enough with stuff like amazon and at least you can ignore all the emails (i bought batteries off you guys, you want me to review batteries? they power my stuff and don't blow up, 5 stars!)

apps are just obnoxious about it though, i actually downloaded and attempted to play dungeon keeper before reading all the hype

it's about as bad as everyone says it is, how EA can continue to say "our feedback says it's good!" with the level of internet rage going on here is beyond me

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Kagera wrote: »
    As someone not familiar with the issue I thought something worse than what is actually happening was going down. But if it's what Quid said well honestly considering that most times people are more likely to leave negative feedback rather than positive this just seems like a way to combat that.
    Yeah, also only going off Quid, it sound more annoying than reprehensible.

Assuming the inent is to address the negative feedback they receive, not divert away from the store page.

(Which may be a wrong thing for me to assume here, given it's EA)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hantavirus seems to be their goto disease.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    If the Hantavirus is causing necrosis there is something very wrong. It is a respiratory virus transmitted by inhaling dust that is mixed with urine/feces of rodents, that can cause flu like symptoms, not necrosis. Gabe/Tycho might want to give a low rating and demand a refund.
    As a side note, when I was in the Army I was stationed in Korea. My first trip to the field a soldier in a tank platoon attached to us began feeling sick with flu like symptoms, while we were out there training. Within 24hrs he collapsed and died. The autopsy showed it was Hantavirus aka Korean Hemorrhagic Fever. That shit is scary. About all they can do if they figure out you have it, is put you in the hospital, shoot you up with antibiotics and wait for it to run its course or kill you.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I rated ebola pretty low too. My main gripe was the intrusive microtransactions. I mean really... $1.99 for weeping sores is a bit much.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    If the Hantavirus is causing necrosis there is something very wrong. It is a respiratory virus transmitted by inhaling dust that is mixed with urine/feces of rodents, that can cause flu like symptoms, not necrosis. Gabe/Tycho might want to give a low rating and demand a refund.
    As a side note, when I was in the Army I was stationed in Korea. My first trip to the field a soldier in a tank platoon attached to us began feeling sick with flu like symptoms, while we were out there training. Within 24hrs he collapsed and died. The autopsy showed it was Hantavirus aka Korean Hemorrhagic Fever. That shit is scary. About all they can do if they figure out you have it, is put you in the hospital, shoot you up with antibiotics and wait for it to run its course or kill you.

You most likely have the new version. I hear if you got it before 1.03 you can still keep removed symptoms, you just can't advance them anymore.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have not heard of this Dungeon Keepers game. Nor have I read any internet rage over such a thing.

Of course, I spent my entire weekend playing Persona 4 and I haven't really been on the internet much lately.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I have not heard of this Dungeon Keepers game. Nor have I read any internet rage over such a thing.

Of course, I spent my entire weekend playing Persona 4 and I haven't really been on the internet much lately.

Imagine if Persona 5 was announced for mobile devices. And you could only fuse once every 24 real-time hours. Unless you use a coin. Which you can buy for $1.99 Buying 100 coins for $189.99 is the Best Deal.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I saw an article to the effect of "EA making it nearly impossible to give Dungeon Keeper a low rating". No, you just need to lie first and say you're going to give it a 5. Not a herculean task.

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I saw an article to the effect of "EA making it nearly impossible to give Dungeon Keeper a low rating". No, you just need to lie first and say you're going to give it a 5. Not a herculean task.

Just because it's easy to bypass doesn't mean it's not scummy and underhanded.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »

Just because it's easy to bypass doesn't mean it's not scummy and underhanded.

Oh, you'll absolutely find no argument from me on that. I'm just saying that it's completely transparent what they're doing the moment you see the screen and these clickbait redditors necessarily need to tart up their statement, because otherwise it's just another "look at this shitty thing EA did", which at this point is a regular occurrence.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

here's the rating screen in question.

rate-dungeon-keeper_zps88d43f14.jpg

seems highly scummy.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    As far as I know, they've broken no specific policies because it isn't technically counted as interfering with rating on the app store.

Doesn't that depend on what the store agreement says? What does the language say?

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    AstralMuffinAstralMuffin Registered User regular
    Ohh this is so nice! I always wanted to be able to comment comics :P

• Options
    RunningmanRunningman Registered User regular
    Oh man, a comments section! I give this idea 5 stars, and I didn't even have to be bullied into it.

• Options
    El_FunkoEl_Funko Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You got some Polygon in my Penny Arcade.

New site looks nice guys, great job.

• Options
    AmyTFalconeAmyTFalcone Illustrator & Cartoonista Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It feels deliciously off-limits to leave a comment on these comics. Great job guys!

• Options
    kismesisterkismesister Mu Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Amy said we can comment and we can so I'm commenting because who are you to stop me.

...the concludes my use of the comments, I think.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Ah, yes, Penny Arcade has this ... place where people discuss things. For instance, the comic. I bet if we discussed other things and sort of organized all of it to engage in multiple topics we could have some sort of ... forum.

• Options
    VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    I've typed my comment here.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Change is bad!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Basically (IANAL) the interpretation is that unless they actively prevent people from rating the game properly on the store page in some way, or provide a direct monetary or in game benefit to rating the game 5 stars (as opposed to anything else) they are fine. They can indeed make it so that the game doesn't take you to the store page to rate it if you choose less than 5 stars on an in game prompt, because they have not technically done anything to prevent someone rating the game what they want manually. What they are doing is a trick to get confirmation bias, where the people who want to rate the game 5 stars do while people like me who think it's a total travesty have long since deleted the app anyway (which I discovered prevents me leaving a review).

Edit: This isn't even the most dishonest thing they do. In both Dungeon Keeper Mobile and in Plants vs. Zombies 2 they have updated the game to make things more grindy or difficult. In DKM, they changed an upgrade from needing 150,000 stone to needing 600,000 - which also meant you needed to dig out more of the dungeon to get the storage space required for 600,000 stone. in PVZ2, they changed the way lawnmowers worked into being a refreshable resource and being lost permanently when they have been used.

Edit2: Not to mention how plain awful Ultima Forever was.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Adrian82490Adrian82490 Registered User regular
    ~It's a comic~ - The Daily Comment Bugle

• Options
    8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go ahead and break the mold. I'm doing away with the easy meta comment about the existence comments. I'm striking out on my own! This is a chance to have something to say and DAMN IT! I'm not going to SQUANDER it!

Okay, obviously that's not going to be THIS comment. But how else would you know to be impressed with me?

iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
    In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I feel like since hantavirus causes hemorrhagic feaver and fills the lungs with fluid. I would give that app less than 5 stars for not quite getting it right.

• Options
    8BitLoser8BitLoser Registered User regular
    Funny comic! #first

iBz0aDtohhUJR.gif The Secret Life of a Journal Comic -
    In which you watch my shameful life and hopefully laugh at me.
  • Options
    J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ooh, new site! Seems nice overall, although as you scroll down from here I feel things get a bit cluttered with all the twitter stuff, club PA, etc. It seems like it is a bit tacked on. But I know these things take time to fine tune.

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
  • Options
    So is this system going to replace the one for making threads here in the Penny-Arcade Hub?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm scared and aroused. Mostly aroused.

• Options
    dbrowdydbrowdy Registered User regular
    Cool, comments. I... hope this doesn't devolve into the internet.

• Options
    DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    Really liking the new site, guys! So glad there's a centralised place to read through Automata, Eyrewood, etc.

• Options
    gbrooksgbrooks Registered User regular
    I think this isn't really Hantavirus' target user. Hantavirus is constantly trying to improve the quality of the virus, making the virus more user-friendly in terms of contagion, pain & suffering, and mortality. Necrotizing LESS flesh would be a definite step backwards.

I love the comments section. REALLY love that I can hide comments in case the comments section becomes the internet. I don't love clicking through the posts. In fact I loved the fact that PA bucked the trend and didn't require click-throughs. Other than that I like the new design with more modern features! Thanks for all the years of laughs, Penny Arcade. I'm going to enjoy being a member of the club.