As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pillars of Eternity: It's out! Reviews are great!

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    At this point I have to ask, why even have any other race? Godlike are clearly the best.
    A fact I pointed out in the OP. But for sure, being fucking godlike is like, obviously the coolest.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKdv2JyYD4

So the god of death in Eternity is Guillermo del Toro?

yeah they look neat, somehow I missed this thread. Might have missed been because of the other one not being closed or ... Pillars not being the first thing in the subject.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So I was planning on playing a Godlike Druid for my first run anyway, so this update was kind of neat for me.

But since we apparently get to choose, I wonder what kind of Godlike it should be. The 'Earth Godlike' seems the obvious choice right now, but I'm a fan of contrasts and conflicts so maybe I'll go with a Steel one or something.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm hoping that they'd have something like the cleric's domain system in D&D for druids. Except the druid would have the choice to bond themselves to different types of environments or ecosystems and gain their powers based on that. So if they're bonded to an aquatic environment, they'd get more water based powers, volcanic environments give more fire based powers, grasslands give more healing and protective powers, etc. Then there could be a choice between strengthening the bond to one particular environment and gaining a smaller number of more powerful abilities or bonding to many different environments to gain a variety of abilities.

KingofMadCows on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I sure hope there's at least 1 quip about "Not so God-like now, are you?" as you're obliterating one.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just as long as I get a "kneel before the lord, punk." one liner while playing as one.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    As long as we get one-liners in general, I'm good.

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    You can add the expansion pack to your order for $20

Can you tell me how? Ive been looking at my account and pledge options and do not see it.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Full copy of the update
    BAdler wrote:
    Update by Rose Gomez, Jr. Producer
    Hello everyone! My name is Rose Gomez - I'm the newest Producer on Pillars of Eternity. I'll be handling a lot of the Kickstarter related duties for the game from here on out. I've been working at Obsidian Entertainment for a little over three years now. My previous titles include South Park: The Stick of Truth and the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs. I'm thrilled to be able to work on Pillars of Eternity and can't wait to interact more with all of you in the coming months.

For this update, we've got some awesome new character, area, and concept art that we're excited to show. However, before we get to the art, we wanted to officially update everyone that we are looking good to release Eternity by Winter 2014. So, look forward to getting your hands on Pillars of Eternity later this year.

Our next update will be all about Pillars of Eternity lore by Eric Fenstermaker.

Stretch Goals
    After much discussion and consideration of the poll on our forums we have decided not to pursue any additional stretch goals. Rest assured that the team is working hard on completing the game and including our current stretch goals.

Surveys
    Our designers are working hard to implement the designs that our higher tiered backers have come up with. If you have a survey that needs to be filled out, please do so by March 31st. It's important that you get your surveys completed by the deadline because we are closing in on Alpha quickly. The team needs ample time to get your content into the game. We can't guarantee your in-game contribution will make it into the game if you are late. This includes inn/tavern designs, adventurer party designs, portraits, NPCs, and items/weapons, so make sure you get your idea in before the deadline! You can fill out your surveys on our Backer Portal after you've finished managing your pledge. They can be found on your account page under the Surveys tab.

Worried that your design won't fit into Pillars of Eternity lore? Not sure if you want that innkeeper to be an Orlan or an Aumaua? Take a peek at the Pillars of Eternity Wiki to get some inspiration or clarification on the world.

Characters
    With all that news out of the way, let's get to the art. To kick things off this week, we'd like to show you all some of the awesome new Godlike variants Dimitri has finished up - the Death Godlike. As we've mentioned before in previous updates, the Godlike are people that were "blessed" before birth by one or more of the deities of the world. Godlike manifest their divine heritage in a variety of ways, and in the case of the Death Godlike that heritage can be seen through their wicked looking horns and the misting darkness that shrouds their visage.

pe-godlike-heads-death-580.jpg
    Death Godlike.

Another type, the Earth Godlike, can be seen below in some new portrait variants that Polina whipped up. These are just a few of the combinations that will be available to use for your character during the game.

pe-godlike-portraits-580.jpg
    Earth Godlike portrait variants.
    Areas
    The environment artists are flying through their various scenes and churning out awesome looking pieces week by week. Below you can see a cool new interior from a Blacksmith's shop by Holly Prado.

pe-blacksmith-580.jpg
    Blacksmith interior.
    Up next we have a really awesome piece by April Giron from an area called Ondra's Gift. This area is still a work in progress but we thought you all would enjoy taking a look at what we've got so far.

pe-wizards-tower-580.jpg
    Ondra's Gift interior.
    Both of these areas have a lot of cool detail in them so make sure you view them at full resolution.
    Creatures
    In Pillars of Eternity, Druid characters will be able to shift into a few different spirit forms. Druids start with specific spirit forms and can find additional spirit forms in the world. One of these forms is the Cat, shown here in a concept drawing by Polina.

pe-druid-form-cat-concept-580.jpg
    Druid Cat Form concept.
    Below you can see what the Cat form looks like when modeled and textured, rendered out of our engine.

pe-druid-form-cat-580.jpg
    Druid Cat form in engine.
    That's all for this week. Don't forget! If you need to fill out a survey for any Pillars of Eternity pledges please do so on our Backer Portal by the March 31st deadline. In the meantime, keep managing those pledges and commenting on our forums.

And

jbtDQPjePRECt6.png

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Being a death-godlike must be inconvenient in many ways.

Such as walking into poles and stuff.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Really adventuring in general

You have to just rely on people seeing your billowing fonts of organic darkness and hope they'll back off
    I'm hoping that they'd have something like the cleric's domain system in D&D for druids. Except the druid would have the choice to bond themselves to different types of environments or ecosystems and gain their powers based on that. So if they're bonded to an aquatic environment, they'd get more water based powers, volcanic environments give more fire based powers, grasslands give more healing and protective powers, etc. Then there could be a choice between strengthening the bond to one particular environment and gaining a smaller number of more powerful abilities or bonding to many different environments to gain a variety of abilities.

This would be even cooler if there was a geomancer class of some kind or if druids themselves could spawn localized areas of a certain type of environment, like a small patch of plains terrain in the middle of a dungeon

Tairu on
    PLA wrote: »

Yes, the constant "hey, you got something on your face" and "Hermann Rorschach called, he wants your face back" jokes must get very tedious.

Yes, the constant "hey, you got something on your face" and "Hermann Rorschach called, he wants your face back" jokes must get very tedious.
    Most people aren't stupid enough to mock the godlike, I would imagine.

Much less ones that manifest as death.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Most people aren't stupid enough to mock the godlike, I would imagine.

Much less ones that manifest as death.

Maybe not mock, but run out of town certainly.

I mean, every single time there's a plague or something who are people going to blame? My guess is, the guy connected to the God of Death.

I can similarly imagine Earth Godlikes being relatively popular in farming communities.

edited February 2014
    Maybe not mock, but run out of town certainly.

I mean, every single time there's a plague or something who are people going to blame? My guess is, the guy connected to the God of Death.
    Pfft. They'll wish they still just only had a plague after trying to get me to leave. Great thing about these sort of games is no disrespect has to go unpunished if you don't want it to.

Going to take more than a bunch of peasant humans with pitchforks to get between me and my grocery runs.

Dr. Chaos on
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I usually play as an unrepentant evil bastard in these types of game. Rolling Godlike linked to Death would feed into my play style quite nicely.

"I see everything twice!"

I just hope the village AI aren't a bunch of gallant knight protectors.

Don't want to see everybody throw down their lives to avenge the honor of Rupert the town drunk. Really puts a cramp in playing evil.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They'll just have the town guards after you! Which is the same end result. But it be neat if you could wipe out towns.

edited February 2014
    Everybody attacking you over one guy, the whole town dies. Which is very inconvenient.

Town guard attacks are fine and basically what I'm hoping for. I would like weaker NPCs to react with fear or cowardice than to outright constantly become some brave avenger. Maybe local merchants lower their prices for you so you don't chop off their head, that sort of thing.

But you shouldn't automatically have to kill everybody because of one guy, especially if no one was inside the house or general area, etc.

Dr. Chaos on
    Hopefully they'll keep evil play styles in mind while making the game. There are some rpgs that really punish the player for being a dick. Being an asshole should be a mixed bag.

Once you get your stronghold, you can kidnap people and put them in your dungeon for ransom. Hopefully, you'll also be able to put your own minions in the dungeons to motivate them Dungeon Keeper style.

"how long we going to keep this prisoner here, boss? 5 years?

"No. Turn the dial up to Oldboy."

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hopefully they'll keep evil play styles in mind while making the game. There are some rpgs that really punish the player for being a dick. Being an asshole should be a mixed bag.

I remember playing as an evil dude in KOTOR 1 once and wondering if I'd have the heart to stick it out.

Doing so was totally worth it, because I think it's pretty hard to top getting using Force pursuade on a Wookie to get them to murder their bestest friend that they practically raised because they owe you a life debt, then later also quickly murdering said Wookie when they turned on you to get revenge.

Man, that was a good day for evil. Much maniacal cackling was had.

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    And that's why I like morally gray choices. Because you're never going to get me to do that.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

edited February 2014

I remember playing as an evil dude in KOTOR 1 once and wondering if I'd have the heart to stick it out.

Doing so was totally worth it, because I think it's pretty hard to top getting using Force pursuade on a Wookie to get them to murder their bestest friend that they practically raised because they owe you a life debt, then later also quickly murdering said Wookie when they turned on you to get revenge.

Man, that was a good day for evil. Much maniacal cackling was had.
    KOTOR series, Fallout 1 and 2 along with Arcanum really did evil quite well. But honestly, nothing has topped being a Sith. There's just something about making a dude jump to his death using the power of your mind that satisfies my inner super villain.
    And that's why I like morally gray choices. Because you're never going to get me to do that.
    *Force persuade* Oh, you will... you will...

yossarian_lives on

I always end up going as good as possible

I just can't do evil, i'm terrible at it

Then you'll enjoy the battle that gets resolved with your character getting the antagonist in a headlock while the antagonist is preparing a spell that will blow up a few random NPC's that you've never seen before.

edited February 2014
    If I have to destroy all of Dyrwood in my pursuit of justice, I will. In fact, that would be my first solution. I wouldn't waste any time seeking alternatives.

Tairu on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I didn't think there was any way they would let me do that, and even the Wookie was like "you crazy, dude, no way am I doing that".

And then the Force Persuade option came up.

I was literally grinning like a maniac, because it was so evil.

Tairu wrote: »
    If I have to destroy all of Dyrwood in my pursuit of justice, I will. In fact, that would be my first solution. I wouldn't waste any time seeking alternatives.
    Sounds to me like you got this whole evil thing in the bag. Ain't nothing more sinister than a zealot on the warpath.

Tairu wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you got this whole evil thing in the bag. Ain't nothing more sinister than a zealot on the warpath.

Hey, Dyrwood has been warned. If they get in the way, it's their own fault.

edited February 2014
    My usual approach is very much a neutral pragmatist. Sometimes doing good deeds, sometimes evil, depending on the situation. The one universal constant is not taking bullshit from anyone, which is why I detested Saemon Havarian. Fucking devs didn't allow me to kill him.

Not that I didn't try with Time Stop and a plethora of awfully powerful magic. Saemon never seemed to realize that continuously pissing off the child of a god of murder, who's also a ridiculously powerful sorcerer might backfire.

Rhan9 on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I don't like to reduce the number of NPCs, so I'm bad at being evil. If I could just throw the world into a dungeon, I might be better at it.

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I always play as a white knight, except I never play as a Paladin. Maybe I'll play as a Paladin this time. Oh wait. One of the coolest companions is a Paladin.

NEVERMIND.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • jeffinvajeffinva Koogler coming this summerRegistered User regular
    Man every project update they send makes me want the game so fucking bad.

edited February 2014
    My favorite playthroughs in RPGs are always the evil ones.

Playing as a good guy is very typical, 90% of video games have you playing as one already anyways. Stealing, manipulating and killing your way to the top tends to be a much more interesting and darkly humorous way to get through the game.

You remove all restrictions on yourself.

Dr. Chaos on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    My favorite playthroughs in RPGs are always the evil ones.

Playing as a good guy is very typical, 90% of video games have you playing as one already anyways. Stealing, manipulating and killing your way to the top tends to be a much more interesting and darkly humorous way to get through the game.

You remove all restrictions on yourself.
    That's what made the games of Obsidian's pedigree so interesting, I guess. No predetermination of goodness.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I too tend to play the good guy in RPGs. But following Kreia's teachings throughout KotOR 2 really made the game for me. Considering that was another Obsidian project, I might go morally grey in this one too.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I think people just really like to think that being grey is some how special or unique. I'm really not calling anyone out here. I'm just thinking of the SW:TOR and how people bitched and moaned and how everyone wanted to play the rare "Grey Jedi" in an MMO.

I have mixed feelings on it. I like the idea of having ambiguous choices versus clear good and evil. However, the Witcher 2 was just too much to handle and I psyched myself out. It is nice to hear I'm not alone and it's hard for other people to play an evil character. Is it funny that in kotor my white knight was a male and my evil character was a female? What's that say about me?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837