As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I have become insanely addicted to Marvel Puzzle Quest. Send help.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    You won with Monk on veliciraptor difficulty? wow

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Nah, grizzly bear. But it's my first non-death, so it's a significant milepost for me.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular

Thankfully, I kicked this about 6 months ago... my wife, however, remains tenaciously within its clutches

• Options
    Gdiguy wrote: »

Thankfully, I kicked this about 6 months ago... my wife, however, remains tenaciously within its clutches

I used to work with the good folks at Infinite Interactive so I feel ok about giving them some money.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's perhaps the worst monitized F2P game I've played. Yes, worse than PoGo. Or those dumb ones where you watch the timers count down. Combined.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's perhaps the worst monitized F2P game I've played. Yes, worse than PoGo. Or those dumb ones where you watch the timers count down. Combined.

Really? I (and wife) had no issues playing completely for free... it was just very easy to get sucked into killing an hour a day

• Options

Really? I (and wife) had no issues playing completely for free... it was just very easy to get sucked into killing an hour a day

And monetization isn't even in the top 5 of the problems with it. The time commitment was #1. In order to compete in the pve tournaments (which is an oxymoron in and of itself), you had to do a clear of all dozen or so nodes every 3 hours for like half a week on end. You could double up the clears, to go 7 hours for sleep or something, but that drastically cut down the number of points you got, and you could kiss getting even in the top 20 or so for the good prizes goodbye. @Elementalor had the right idea ditching it before it got anywhere near that bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I really don't find the F2P stuff bad at all. I'm not trying to play an ipad game competitively. Like @Gdiguy said, it basically just sucks an hour out of me daily.

Having to pay for hero slots is the only frustrating thing I've found but that's hardly game breaking for me. I've put about $10 into it so far and have enjoyed it immensely. Money well spent IMO.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I played on Android/Steam, but I did end up finding the hero slots game-breaking. I'd get rare characters but have to throw them away because of the slots -- if I kept them around they'd be sitting around as useless boat anchors for months or years until I got enough additional copies to level them up. So in the meantime I'd find other rare characters and throw those away instead and it just murdered the fun collectible aspect of the game.

It was also really hard to get any worthwhile rewards out of the events, you had to be in the top 3% or something, and to do that you had to play and win almost constantly.

Also I got pretty frustrated that you'd have these PVE things with 3 prizes and instead of giving you the prizes the first 3 times you won, it would stick you with booby prizes 80% of the time after the very first victory.

That was all like 3 years ago, though. Maybe they've made it more sane since then.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    MPQ is, i guess an ok game to be casual in, anything other than that is pain.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    There have been a lot of QOL improvements over time. The "booby prize" issue you describe is gone. I play daily, but casually: I never try to place in events, just play when the mood strikes and mostly on the PvE side. To get the most out of the game in this casual mode:
    - Never spend Hero Points on anything but new cover slots.
    - Play the Deadpool Daily Quest. Do as much as you can each day; at some point you will be able to consistently clear it, which gets you a boatload of ISO and a 3* cover each day. Even when you don't have the roster to do that, the rewards for the easier nodes are better than you would get for the same effort elsewhere.
    - Champion characters once you are able (this starts when you can max out a 2* character). You'll get back the ISO you spend with interest as you pump more covers in, and otherwise you'd be wasting them.
    - Join an alliance. Any will do, really. It gives you passive income if nothing else, and the fools who spend money on the game will send command points your way.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    For me, I quit when they nerf batted all the good characters into the ground that I spent a lot of time grinding for. Then they made all the ladders complete P2W with cash shop immunity items and the previous nerfs had made it if you didn't have a few thousand healkits you were also SOL.

Also, a few months after release they quadrupled(some large amount) the cost of stuff like slots and packs.

It was all quite the uproar, so I got out. Other than that I preferred the fast, frenetic style of PQ that it was originally was, and a lot of those changes severely slowed the game down.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    For me, I quit when they nerf batted all the good characters into the ground that I spent a lot of time grinding for. Then they made all the ladders complete P2W with cash shop immunity items and the previous nerfs had made it if you didn't have a few thousand healkits you were also SOL.

Also, a few months after release they quadrupled(some large amount) the cost of stuff like slots and packs.

It was all quite the uproar, so I got out. Other than that I preferred the fast, frenetic style of PQ that it was originally was, and a lot of those changes severely slowed the game down.

They've since regressed. On everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Thank Christ I found the program snip I needed. I can now heartily recommend Human Resiurce Machine, and more importantly I can sleep tonight.

I had to stop giving a shit about the performance targets because I was starting to hate myself, life, logic, the concept of numbers, people with the capacity to love, small animals, etc.

I just got the last performance target! Whilst the true reward is obviously getting my life back, I feel this should also unlock some kind of automatic job offer. Clearly I am in the wrong line of work.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I just found out that Sorcery! 4 is coming out any day now -- in the meantime, Sorcery! 1, Sorcery! 2, and Sorcery! 3 are $1 (or a bit more in CDN$ because those are canadian app store links), so anyone that hasn't bought them yet really should do so.

Also only $1 (not sure if this is temporary or not) is Lara Croft Go which is like Hitman: Go but more Tomb Raider-y, and so far I'm enjoying it a bit more because there's less annoying count-the-steps in there, though we'll see.
    The vase images that show up between chapters are hidden in the levels; you have to look for a sparkly jar in the bushes somewhere and tap on it. This isn't explained anywhere in the UI that I could find out so it took me a while to figure it out

And Hitman: Sniper is definitely on sale ($1 down from $5), and is worth a dollar, I reckon; it's much more of a puzzle game in disguise than I'd initially realised, and while it's certainly about shooting people, it's sort of relaxed feeling about how you go about it.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I just found out that Sorcery! 4 is coming out any day now -- in the meantime, Sorcery! 1, Sorcery! 2, and Sorcery! 3 are $1 (or a bit more in CDN$ because those are canadian app store links), so anyone that hasn't bought them yet really should do so.

Inkle's blog says 9/22.

I stopped after Part 1 as I wanted the full set before continuing onward. This will make for a good week.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A dollar each? Yes please

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The Judge wrote: »

Inkle's blog says 9/22.

I stopped after Part 1 as I wanted the full set before continuing onward. This will make for a good week.

I really enjoyed 1 and 2 but got discouraged in 3. I kept running into parts where it felt like it arbitrarily robbed you of useful items you've been carrying, presumably because it didn't want you to have those options in future encounters.

Edit: Like, I'd gone to considerable lengths to obtain that Magic Doodad, and then I'd get to a part where I was crossing a bridge and then "Oops! You dropped the Magic Doodad off the bridge; it's gone forever." I found that really frustrating.

I want to enjoy it again though, especially with 4 coming out now. Maybe I'll try again.

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Honestly, the fact they have the original artwork in there won me over even _before_ I'd played them; this bit of my bookshelves has stayed with me for a long while now (33-ish years, I guess?) and I don't see that changing:

i0mX9WP.jpg

• Options

And monetization isn't even in the top 5 of the problems with it. The time commitment was #1. In order to compete in the pve tournaments (which is an oxymoron in and of itself), you had to do a clear of all dozen or so nodes every 3 hours for like half a week on end. You could double up the clears, to go 7 hours for sleep or something, but that drastically cut down the number of points you got, and you could kiss getting even in the top 20 or so for the good prizes goodbye. @Elementalor had the right idea ditching it before it got anywhere near that bad.

I don't know if they've fixed this, but those tournaments put you into a group based on when you played your first game. So, if you start on day 1, you're in a group with people playing every day, and it's impossible to keep up.

But, if you waited until the last day or so, and the start playing - you could often race your way to the top of a much smaller pond. I could pretty reliably hit top 20 without really playing that much; if you did that and then actually played for a few hours, you could occasionally hit top 5

• Options
    This was true for each of the 3 day sets; so basically play one day and skip the next two... You won't compete in the whole tournament, but you could get the prizes for each mini one

(Apologies for double post, can't figure out how to edit on phone)

• Options
    edited September 2016

I don't know if they've fixed this, but those tournaments put you into a group based on when you played your first game. So, if you start on day 1, you're in a group with people playing every day, and it's impossible to keep up.

But, if you waited until the last day or so, and the start playing - you could often race your way to the top of a much smaller pond. I could pretty reliably hit top 20 without really playing that much; if you did that and then actually played for a few hours, you could occasionally hit top 5

Kinda sorta not really. The main sort method is your roster. If you're in the higher bracket, the later one just sits open for days, while the other rookie buckets fill up quicker. Like this last pvp (god, why am I still playing), I joined the last day, I got more than 1k, and that was only good enough for top 200.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Just upgraded iPhones from a full encrypted backup. PSA: if you got the Final Fantasy I and II games in the FF Portal app when they were free a few months ago, make sure you're done with them before you get a new phone. You weren't given an in-app purchase to restore, and the free games don't seem to be tied to your account.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Dream Quest has stolen my game time. Made it through with all the base classes on Grizzly after some 100+ deaths!

• Options
    Dream Quest has stolen my game time. Made it through with all the base classes on Grizzly after some 100+ deaths!

I'm really bad at Dream Quest.

I have beaten it once though :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    kime wrote: »

It's an incredibly difficult game, I'm finding. Some runs just aren't going to be winnable no matter what you do, but after playing a character a dozen times or so you've got a decent idea of what might work if you get lucky. I can work the thief down to the third floor pretty reliably, but the wizard and warrior took some crazy work. Unlocking key cards with achievement points might be essential.

I've also abused the hell out of the trick where you close the app before you die in combat to start over at the beginning of your last turn, but I've never won a run that way. Helpful to learn the enemies and skills though.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

It's an incredibly difficult game, I'm finding. Some runs just aren't going to be winnable no matter what you do, but after playing a character a dozen times or so you've got a decent idea of what might work if you get lucky. I can work the thief down to the third floor pretty reliably, but the wizard and warrior took some crazy work. Unlocking key cards with achievement points might be essential.

I've also abused the hell out of the trick where you close the app before you die in combat to start over at the beginning of your last turn, but I've never won a run that way. Helpful to learn the enemies and skills though.

Oh, I didn't know about that trick, interesting.

It's been a while since I've played, actually, but I was usually able to reach the second floor relatively easily with most classes. Third frequently too. I think I usually stalled out there.

I should get back into it, but I'm worried it'll be all I do on my phone again :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    It's a valid fear.

The restart trick is usually a sign that I've already lost, but it lets me play longer as a reasonably built up character and that helps reshape the direction of my early game.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Every time I get a decent run going in Dream Quest the second or third floor boss will be the exact one to neuter whatever strategy I have going on. Every time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    A few tips from a guy who has beaten the end boss:

1. Save as much gold as you can for the chapels to get rid of the worthless cards in your deck

2. To actually WIN you need to create some sort of insane engine that lets you cycle through your deck while doing stupid amounts of damage

Examples: 1. ranger/thief: find a card that 'weakens' the opponent, meaning that they take additional damage every time you pop them for physical, and then fill your deck with bows and actions that deal damage and draw cards. 'The Bleeder' will be huge for this 2. warrior - same deal, but scimitars are going to be critical to this plan 3. wizards - wizards are tricky, but you basically need the zoology skill that lets you see everything you're up against (its the lvl 1 talent), that way you can pack the right cards for the job. When you hit floor 3, you can load up on all the insane nuke cards and then take Arch Mage at lvl 10. If you want to win with spellcasters, you'll need to unlock the jaspers emerald or whatever its called (it lets you draw a card everytime you cast a spell) 4. STRIKE IS A TRAP, DO NOT TRY TO MAKE THE STRIKE DECK. 5. The EFFECT WHEN U DISCARD THIS CARD deck is a trap, dont waste your time, I cant get it to work.

Lemme know what classes you enjoy and I can give you solid strats. I will literally talk about dreamquest all day if you let me.

• Options
    Every time I get a decent run going in Dream Quest the second or third floor boss will be the exact one to neuter whatever strategy I have going on. Every time.

are you making sure you explore the board as much as you can before getting into fights? i will throw away health packs if it means i can find out what boss it is a level up or two ahead of time

• Options
    oh, also, take polymorph. chrone, sphinx, and ESPECIALLY severed hand are damn near unbeatable regardless of how good of a deck you have.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Woo finally beat Dream Quest (after this thread reminded me of it.) Thief with Great Bow, Cruel, Expose, and the attack card that also Weakens 2, plus a ton of slices, jabs, and circles was just silly. I also had Evasion so I was invulnerable for two turns in the last fight -- Storm Giant.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    You are all speaking gibberish, but it is compelling, alluring gibberish.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Woo finally beat Dream Quest (after this thread reminded me of it.) Thief with Great Bow, Cruel, Expose, and the attack card that also Weakens 2, plus a ton of slices, jabs, and circles was just silly. I also had Evasion so I was invulnerable for two turns in the last fight -- Storm Giant.

On velociraptor?? did you fight the ultra boss?

• Options
    If a Storm Giant was the last fight then clearly not, right? Don't diminish it! I have yet to beat Grizzly Bear difficulty with the thief after many, many attempts. Getting closer. I think taking piercing damage as my perk on level 3 might be the key.

• Options
    My intention was not to diminish :o sorry if it came off that way.

i believe in you!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Jade Empire is a thing on iOS now. No idea how well it controls, but KOTOR was a great port.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently I actually beat Grizzly Bear as a Warrior, once. So now I'm 2/3 of the base classes.