As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: In-App Purchases

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Free apps is always going to be a wasteland of whatever bored kids are downloading in between classes.

At least the free apps wasteland isn't the entire app store. Poor Android.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Latest levels of PvZ 2 are out. Seems to be the hardest ones yet.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Apps (and especially games) are becoming an extremely unprofitable industry, mostly due to the glut of them:
    The majority of app businesses are not sustainable at current revenue levels. 50% of iOS developers and 64% of Android developers are below the ‘app poverty line” of $500 per app per month.

Games dominate app store revenues, yet most games developers struggle. 33% of developers make games but 57% of those games make less than $500 per month.

1.6% of developers have an app earning >500k/month. Together they earn multiples of the other 98.4% combined.

You won't get noticed and your app won't earn you anything because there's a fucking literal million apps out there.

EDIT: Fixed my broken link

Cog on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Apps (and especially games) are becoming an extremely unprofitable industry, mostly due to the glut of them:
    The majority of app businesses are not sustainable at current revenue levels. 50% of iOS developers and 64% of Android developers are below the ‘app poverty line” of $500 per app per month.

Games dominate app store revenues, yet most games developers struggle. 33% of developers make games but 57% of those games make less than $500 per month.

1.6% of developers have an app earning >500k/month. Together they earn multiples of the other 98.4% combined.

You won't get noticed and your app won't earn you anything because there's a fucking literal million apps out there.

Those are some depressing stats. My fiance and I are making our own iOS game right now and that doesn't exactly make me feel great. Truth hurts obviously, and neither one of us plans on quitting our day job.

At least I can count on getting a sale or two from my PA people, right? Right? :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Those are some depressing stats. My fiance and I are making our own iOS game right now and that doesn't exactly make me feel great. Truth hurts obviously, and neither one of us plans on quitting our day job.

At least I can count on getting a sale or two from my PA people, right? Right? :)

What kind of game are we talking about here? Pricepoint?

I mean, for a good RPG with some fun leveling up mechanics, you could potentially shut up and take my money.

Cog on
  • Options
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

That statistic is heavily skewed by all the total crap apps on the store, and total crap copycats of total crap apps.

• Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "skewed by". The market is flooded with shitty apps and therefore most apps don't make a lot of money because they're shitty or go unnoticed in the mountain of garbage. Where's the 'skew' in the data?

• Options

What kind of game are we talking about here? Pricepoint?

I mean, for a good RPG with some fun leveling up mechanics, you could potentially shut up and take my money.

This is our first game, so we went with something safe and are making a puzzle game focused on the "casual" audience. It'll include about 200 pre-made puzzles (broken across 10 worlds), a puzzle-of-the-hour mode, and a survival mode.

We're going with two price points and one iap:

- free: includes the first 5 worlds for free (~40-45% of the game's content)
    - pay: $.99 unlocks the full game, including the puzzle/hour mode and survival mode
    - iap: $.99 unlocks in-game coins to purchase cosmetic stuff, survival runs, and hints

If it does well, we'll make additional puzzles as DLC. That would be the easiest way to add more content since the infrastructure will be in place. Additional cosmetic stuff will also be considered if they happen to be popular.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what you mean by "skewed by". The market is flooded with shitty apps and therefore most apps don't make a lot of money because they're shitty or go unnoticed in the mountain of garbage. Where's the 'skew' in the data?

The stats make it look bleak for Dover, who wants to release an app. But if the app Dover makes isn't complete crap, he's already in better shape than 90% of the stuff in the store.

• Options
    - pay: $.99 unlocks the full game, including the puzzle/hour mode and survival mode
    - iap: $.99 unlocks in-game coins to purchase cosmetic stuff, survival runs, and hints

On the surface that's pretty appealing, I like that sort of pricing scheme. What kind of puzzles? Word, physics, item hunt?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhh!

Blood Bowl is out!

Taking the plunge and trying it out now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I took the plunge and grabbed Monster Hunter. It's a solid game, and the controls work admirably well, but it's also got me eying upcoming mfi controllers. Whole thing is just precise enough to work pretty well, and just cumbersome enough to be frustrating as hell when it doesn't. If I fall off one more cliff side immediately after scaling it I'm going to lose my mind.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Minor hilarity that the game defaults to 30 second turns online. Otherwise seems a perfectly functional port of the PC game. i.e the online interface is still an impenetrable menu sprawl awfulness that will drive people away. But once your in it seems to work fine.

Only comes with Orcs and Humans, IAP purchase for each other team.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

On the surface that's pretty appealing, I like that sort of pricing scheme. What kind of puzzles? Word, physics, item hunt?

It's a color matching puzzle game. Every world has 16 levels to complete. Then you get a new world with a new mechanic.

This continues for each world, with the last four levels in each world combining prior mechanics to make more unique challenges.

It's pretty easy to understand and play, but the added mechanics can really start messing with your head and make you think. Everyone we've showed it to so far has loved it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Per TA, SE has an English version of the DS DQIV port to show off at Gamescom in a couple weeks. Wouldn't be surprised to see a release date and price announced during the event itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Minor hilarity that the game defaults to 30 second turns online. Otherwise seems a perfectly functional port of the PC game. i.e the online interface is still an impenetrable menu sprawl awfulness that will drive people away. But once your in it seems to work fine.

Only comes with Orcs and Humans, IAP purchase for each other team.

you know GW - you coulda charged me $15 for the full game and id'a paid.

sticking IAP in this one is just a step too far for me.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Ingress came out on iOS today! I've been waiting for this moment for over a year. I've played it a bit on my Nexus 7, but I felt kind of conspicuous running around with a tethered tablet. Of course, it had to rain all day.

I've been looking for a separate thread for this... does one even exist that isn't in the pits of oblivion?

Anyway I did indeed get the iOS Ingress since platform was the only thing stopping me. I'm Enlightenment in an area completely locked down by Resistance. On the rare occasion I grab an open portal that isn't in the utter boonies, it is pretty much immediately flipped by this one level 8 jerk.

What a jerk.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »

I started the first level of Dark Ages Part 2 and quickly got my ass beat. Combinations of Jesters and Wizards just feels unfair...

• Options
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »

I started the first level of Dark Ages Part 2 and quickly got my ass beat. Combinations of Jesters and Wizards just feels unfair...

The wizards are bullshit.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Throwing a couple last minute recommendations behind Monument Valley and rymdkapsel while they're on sale. Great games to relax to. Neither is overly difficult, but rymd will kick your ass during later waves if you don't have your defenses straightened out. None of the puzzles in MV have been difficult so far. They're like manipulating a series of Escher paintings, with a soothing soundtrack playing in the background. Both are quite zen-like: games to be played when you want to turn on and tune out while settling in for the evening. Both are on sale for $2/each. Loving the hell out of both of them. They've been exactly what I've needed this past week.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Ingress came out on iOS today! I've been waiting for this moment for over a year. I've played it a bit on my Nexus 7, but I felt kind of conspicuous running around with a tethered tablet. Of course, it had to rain all day.

I've been looking for a separate thread for this... does one even exist that isn't in the pits of oblivion?

Anyway I did indeed get the iOS Ingress since platform was the only thing stopping me. I'm Enlightenment in an area completely locked down by Resistance. On the rare occasion I grab an open portal that isn't in the utter boonies, it is pretty much immediately flipped by this one level 8 jerk.

What a jerk.

My son and I were looking forward to trying tIngressis -- we stopped in a parking lot by one of the beacons and proceeded to fumble and not have any idea what to do -- we promptly deleted it...

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    2K says that Bioshock is coming sometime this summer. Summer could mean around the end of September (when ios8 and Metal comes out), but if not... I wonder if this build of Bioshock is using metal?

• Options
    From the looks of it and the author's description it doesn't sound like it will use Metal...

• Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    Cool, if that's the case! The folks behind the X-Com: Enemy Unknown port are behind this one, so it is possible that this port of Bioshock doesn't represent what ios 8 Metal is capable of. Either way I'm buying it, it's the game I've always wanted on my handset.

• Options
    Was looking to get a tower defense game and looking for recommendations. Is the stuff in the OP still relevant and does anyone have anything new not mentioned there?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

They should downport the planned Bioshock Vita game to phones. Tactical action is a perfect fit.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Rothgarr wrote: »

What a jerk.

My son and I were looking forward to trying tIngressis -- we stopped in a parking lot by one of the beacons and proceeded to fumble and not have any idea what to do -- we promptly deleted it...

There's really not a ton to it.
    • Get XM by walking places. The more dense the population, the more XM floating around. It's basically energy or mana.
    • You're trying to claim portals for your team.
    • You can hack every portal, and hacking them gives you items.
    • Resonators attach to portals and make them harder for the other team to steal. If a portal has no resonators on it, either team can claim it.
    • Xmp Bursters damage resonators.
    • You can recharge resonators of portals owned by your team by transferring your XM to them. Resonators loose XM over time, and as the enemy team attacks them. If a resonator runs out of XM, it dies.
    • There's also shields and turrets and other stuff that attaches to portals. They're mostly self explanatory.
    • A portal key will let you recharge a portal remotely. The farther away you are, the less effective remote recharges are.
    • You can also link portals you have keys for. Your team gets points for the area bounded by links. The more dense the average population in the area, the more points.
    • Those scheming Enlightened just linked up a huge green area that covers your house. Are you going to stand for that?

And that's pretty much it? There's events and a story and stuff, but I mostly ignore it. It's a nice excuse to take walks and detours to random statues and things.

Frem on
  • Options

Downloaded Kingdom Rush. You were right, so very, very right.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

Seriously, KR is THE best TD game ever.
    And KR: Frontiers is even better.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    As the updated title states, DQ4 is out! Universal, $15.

I returned to Fairway Solitaire today for the first time in awhile and was a little dismayed at how difficult it's become to clear a hole without spending GB and/or using at least one iron. I have a lot of banked GB, so it's not a huge deal yet, but I don't think I'll be able to finish all of the courses I have left without depleting my stock. I don't know if the devs have changed the game since I last played to make it this way or what, but it's something that would make me slightly more hesitant to recommend it in the future.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Kinda split with you on Fairway... On the one hand, I picked it up when it was first mentioned and so I've got most of the gadgets/bonus from earlier while levelin and currently shooting for more trophies to unlock the bonus courses.

However, getting stars doesn't seem that hard still and you get decent golf bucks just leveling up and unlocking trophies.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    So I'm really digging Godus( a Peter Mollyneux's game):
    https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/godus/id815181808?mt=8

Very polished god game.

The pace is starting to slow down... avoiding the IAP's for now. We'll see how long that lasts...

• Options

@MNC Dover‌, while I absolutely refuse to dispute that Kingdom Rush and Frontiers are the pinnacle of tower defense on iOS, I can also give you another extremely good title to put in rotation, Prime World Defenders. It has a lot of standard trope similarities, with a lengthy campaign, boss fights, global upgrades (extra spell & tower slots - you can only take 4 towers and 1 spell to start with) and up-gradable towers (25[!] upgrade levels for each tower). Also has some interesting mechanics like a card-collection system for adding new towers & magic, a forge system for creating hybrid towers (combine multiple card copies to boost the tower's default stats), and 'anomaly' spots that boost the tower placed on them.

Pretty visuals, though has nothing on the Kingdom Rush style. Normally $5, has been free for a few weeks. Scoop it up while it's still free.

• Options

Seriously, KR is THE best TD game ever.
    And KR: Frontiers is even better.

By the way, Incursion and Incursion 2 are web based tower defense games that are exceptionally similar to KR. Absolutely worth playing. You can find them on Kongregate or armorgames.com.

• Options

@MNC Dover‌, while I absolutely refuse to dispute that Kingdom Rush and Frontiers are the pinnacle of tower defense on iOS, I can also give you another extremely good title to put in rotation, Prime World Defenders. It has a lot of standard trope similarities, with a lengthy campaign, boss fights, global upgrades (extra spell & tower slots - you can only take 4 towers and 1 spell to start with) and up-gradable towers (25[!] upgrade levels for each tower). Also has some interesting mechanics like a card-collection system for adding new towers & magic, a forge system for creating hybrid towers (combine multiple card copies to boost the tower's default stats), and 'anomaly' spots that boost the tower placed on them.

Pretty visuals, though has nothing on the Kingdom Rush style. Normally $5, has been free for a few weeks. Scoop it up while it's still free.

Downloading now, although I had to research to find it was just called Defenders now. ;)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Man I linked it in my post and everything! :P