As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - The Old Ways

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - The Tithe, Part One

Need an account? Create one!

Read the full story here

IcyLiquid on

• Options
    DocBurnsDocBurns Registered User regular
    I really like the subtle use of coloring and shade to differentiate the trees in panel one. I never feel like Mike slacks on the art, but you can tell when he's INSPIRED, y'know?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    So are we going to get more Daughters of Eyrewood now due to kickstarter successes? Would love to see it...

• Options
    IanysusIanysus Registered User new member
    More Sand would be awesome, it's got potential! The Lookouts comic was awesome, love the webcomics too. More Daughters of Eyrewood please

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    *deleted (The hell? I posted this on one of the Automata strips.)*

cB557 on
  • Options
    vernes1978vernes1978 Eternal support gamer NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I want to buy a comic of this.
    How do I buy a comic?

• Options
    FireflyarcFireflyarc Registered User regular
    How strange.... Wasn't there more to this comic arc?

• Options
    Still want to know how to buy this fucking comic.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    ALL OF THE CHUBS FOR MORE AUTOMATA!

• Options
    altdoomaltdoom Registered User regular
    Awesome work!

• Options
    BRASKYthatSOBBRASKYthatSOB Master (of Physics) AlaskaRegistered User regular
    So stoked more Automata is here! I enjoy all the PA side projects, but this has always been my favorite!

• Options
    OtieOtie Registered User regular
    The art looks fantastic so far- love it!

• Options
    LazarusKingLazarusKing Registered User regular
    Hot damn, I am ready for some new Automata.

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    I can tell by the first page that this is going to be amazing.

• Options
    bingodanbingodan Registered User regular
    Hell yeah, im excited for this.

• Options
    R0n1n_76R0n1n_76 Registered User regular
    Wait...that looks like...Sam?

• Options
    Am I the only one that would love a point and click adventure game set in the Automata world? Just seems like it could work really well.

• Options
    FutureDictatorFutureDictator Registered User regular
    @Braskythatsob; Maybe they should contact Telltale Games for that :D

I know I'd buy the hell out of a TTG production of Penny Arcade - Automata.

• Options
    @FutureDictator PA and Telltale teaming up for Automata: The Game would be a dream come true! Though I have to say, as much as I love the look of Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, I would probably prefer an Automata game in a fully 2D animated style. But beggars can't be choosers.

• Options
    @Braskythatsob; who's to say they can't change the art style to suit the material, or even have Gabe in as an executive producer for the art team? I'm not against a 2D game, either, but the raw cel style would be gorgeous with machinery, I think.

• Options
    @FutureDictator True enough! And for the record I think that 3d cel shading would look really good, as would a more classical 2d animation.

Having Gabe at least overseeing the art would be a big plus, and if he had the time to actually do some of it (doubtful) even better!

• Options
    Oh, and obviously it would be best if the story was handled by Tycho, again time permitting.

• Options
    WasamiWasami Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    What was the cause of death here? No visible wounds, lots of blood..... Ebola victim?

Wasami on
  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    I just LOVE this comic to bits so far.
    Makes me happy that I've been wearing an Automata T-Shirt for two years now. I finally have something tangible to show people when they ask about it. :)

• Options
    robblerobblerobblerobble Registered User new member
    I love this! More, please!! Beautiful!!!!

• Options
    cloudmattcloudmatt Registered User regular
    Hey, possibly a stupid question, is this in anyway related to the new movie by the same name coming out soon?

• Options
    I am frothing from the mouth like mad. ARE these complete comics? How do I get them? I will find you and hurl money at you until you relinquish this information!

• Options
    EseellEseell Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Oh man, don't split the party!

• Options
    TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    love this shit

• Options
    SmallTownWizardSmallTownWizard Registered User new member
    What an interesting study in gender! I wonder what it is that makes a robot decide to identify as a specific gender. Programming? Is there free will? Is it hardware or software related? Do they ever change their gender identity? So many questions!

• Options
    OtieOtie Registered User regular
    This comic is flipping-awesome! :D

• Options
    WHY AREN'T THERE MORE COMMENTS?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Why do comments on Automata keep showing up in this old thread for The Tithe?

• Options
    AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This is fantastic. Questions of gender and race and belonging all encased in gorgeous art and mystery/noir storytelling. Also, this is a cool action scene. As I've said before, I think you guys should do feature stories like this more often. You're very good at it.

AriWerd on
  • Options
    +1 to the feature stories request! Also, I love how bad ass Carl is in this.

• Options
    allenbwallenbw Registered User new member
    that's a really good hand in panel 4. everyone is especially well posed. wow.

• Options
    Automata is leaving me drowning in my own saliva. My furniture is ruined and my property value is dissolving along with said furniture.
    I'm holding you accountable Gabe! From my saliva grave I curse yooouuu!
    *hurls money at your general direction*

• Options
    AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    It's interesting that Carl is okay with putting on a new face, but not getting a new arm. Or perhaps he meant a different-kind-of/non-Swangee arm? I also love that the idiosyncrasies of his body/model help him identify himself and perhaps help all the automata self-identify.

The political mystery/scandal is getting interesting. I like how age-old stories can feel new again with interesting settings and characters.

Has it been revealed what "Swangee Man" means? Is this a reference I'm not getting?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    AriWerd wrote: »
    It's interesting that Carl is okay with putting on a new face, but not getting a new arm. Or perhaps he meant a different-kind-of/non-Swangee arm? I also love that the idiosyncrasies of his body/model help him identify himself and perhaps help all the automata self-identify.

I presume he's referring to swapping in a different model arm instead of his factory-issued/original design one.
    Has it been revealed what "Swangee Man" means? Is this a reference I'm not getting?

It's been used to refer to Carl since the first Automata story, seems to be a model or brand name for the kind of robot Carl is.

• Options
    That poster is genius. Page 9, panel 1. Says so much about this universe they've created and what kind of attitudes there are towards the Automata. Anything vacuous and "empty upstairs" is perfectly trustworthy, but anything that can think for itself is suspicious and never trusted at all.

• Options
    Uh-oh. The plot thickens. So he's not completely human?