As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 on line play question

ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
So, my nephew has a PS3, and his mother asked me if there is a way that the on-line component can be set up so that he can only play with a set group of people and not the general populace. He is playing Modern Warefare, and his mother has recently discovered what a pit of scum and villainy that can be.

I do not own a PS3, so I have no idea. Further more, my work blocks all attempts to look any of this up, So what do you guys think. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There are subaccounts you can set up that restrict online access and chat. If someone has a sub-account, a parent can set Content Restriction (which prevents you from going online if your age is under the ESRB rating of the title) and Chat Restriction (which prevents you from chatting with people online, regardless of age). In my experience, this doesn't curb children from doing whatever the hell they want online, mostly because their parents tend to be far less tech-savvy. A lot of kids will just create their own PSN ID without sub account restrictions to get around this "problem".

It might be better to teach the nephew about proper internet etiquette, and having parental expectations for their play online rather than trying to restrict it with a hardware/software lockout. If you give a child a barrier, they will do their best to try to circumvent it.

There are no methods for restricting the pool of access to a set amount of individuals for PSN accounts, as far as I know. Maybe someone else knows of a method?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    Thanks Hahnsoo1, I am in agreement that the best solution is active parental control, and not software restrictions. However, he is not my kid and so the best I can do is offer helpful advice criticize their parenting style to myself. =)

Hopefully some one else has a solution, which i am not anticipating, otherwise I will pass along that letting their 10 year old kid have unfettered access to PSN is a terrible idea that was bound to yield terrible results.