As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Evolve] - Now going to be Free to Play on PC! Original buyers get "Founders" status.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    3 things.

1. I don't know where any sequel to L4D could really go at this point, without becoming a significantly different game, ala Evolve.

2. From what I understand, L4D was TurtleRock's baby to begin with.

3. Valve has never seemed to feel obligated to make a game, ever. They are very good at not making games. Is there anyone at Valve who wants to make another L4D?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I have not played the games so I'll let someone else answer those questions.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    He's basically right on all three things and really, especially the last part because Valve make stuff now because they want to.

Not because someone wants them too, otherwise we'd have a ton more Half-Life games.

Edit: Plus Evolve is a natural extension of the versus gameplay from Left 4 Dead. If you've never played the original game you totally should Archsorcerer.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I have a backlog and I'm getting South Park: SoT, Dark Souls II, Child of Light, etc.

Just got like 8 games + expansions from my first purchase of GOG.com and my copy of FFT A2 arrived yesterday.

I got to study a lot of stuff and I have been slacking. Busy.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    The nice thing about L4D is it's a great 30 to 60 minute game, with a beginning, middle, and end.

But yeah, I hear yah, I have a friend who wants me to get into SF4, and I have trouble saying, "But..but.. my backlog!"

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    I want to get into SF4 too but I don't have the patience for it right now.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Personally, I never cared about the L4D campaign outside of the funny dialogue the characters spat out from time to time.

And seeing that we have a hunter with a mustache that glorious, I don't think I'll be wanting in that department.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Someone should ask how many goat sacrifices to Satan were made to create that unholy perfect logo

• Options
    The game's logo?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The red 'EVOLVE' on the cover.

• Options
    Is it that special?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It's simple but brilliant. The four first letters represent the players. The V stands for versus, and the last E is bordered by a much larger block (representing the monster).

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I see that now. Clever.

You know what's nice, the first 4 letters are LOVE backwards. :D

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I've put well over 1000 hours into the L4D games, so I'm super excited for this. Regarding a potential L4D3, there was a shot of a monitor during some footage from the International 3 that mentioned it along with Source 2.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm kinda hoping there's a few levels with invisible stalker style monsters to play.

A triple A level Hidden would be fantastic.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Got a chance to play this at PAX and holy shit was it fun. Unfortunately one of our teammates (the hunter) was really new at video games so she got lost and couldn't figure out the controls. Which meant we couldn't effectively fight the beast for long enough to do any real damage.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Got a chance to play this at PAX and holy shit was it fun. Unfortunately one of our teammates (the hunter) was really new at video games so she got lost and couldn't figure out the controls. Which meant we couldn't effectively fight the beast for long enough to do any real damage.

How would you say the balance was?

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Saw this at PAX but didn't play since the line was 4 hours long. Looks really cool though. They had the most impressive booth there. The 30 foot tall monster statue was impressive.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I'm really curious about any and all impressions. The L4D series was probably my favorite games from last gen, and might be my favorite MP game ever. I have it pre-ordered and know almost nothing about it except the guys who made L4D actually had this idea first. That sold me.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

How would you say the balance was?

It's very balanced on both sides. A team that doesn't work well together won't get very far (from what we found). Every single class has an integral purpose in fighting the beast. If one member isn't up to snuff then it will be that much harder to take him down.

I don't know whether or not you guys like that sound of that but I love the idea that everyone needs to be good and not suck terribly in order to get anywhere. It's very party focused and it was an absolute blast playing.

I played as support so I had to make sure that I had a shield up the moment someone got hit which meant I was going from party member to party member trying to keep them from dying. There are less things going on than on L4D, however there are still things to do. Plus you need to keep focused on the footprints as well as hearing him in the distance in order to reach him ASAP. At level 3 it becomes a problem because he's 30ft tall and does a ton of damage.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Happy to hear there'll be more characters per class for the same reasons as others. I'm gonna assume there'll be 3 monster types, so I look forward to hearing about the inevitable swift predator one. Drawing the hunters out to the edge of the map and then sneaking back to the objective and rampaging is going to be delightful.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    I can't wait for a monster player that makes opponents feel like Wile E. Coyote.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Have they said what happens when one of the hunters dies? Do they respawn or are they out for the rest of the game?

• Options
    Yeah, they mentioned respawn from a ship in the area if I'm not wrong.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It depends on what phase, however. If you die when the monster is in their final form then you're gone forever.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So questions for people who have played it:

How long are and how many different phases of the game are there for the monster and how does it transition?

At the final phase is it basically GG for the hunters or can you still win? If it's basically GG is it probably over fast?

• Options
    It really depends on the monster. Phase I and II didn't take TOO long but I don't know if that's because the level we were playing had a lot of monsters for the beast to eat and to level or time flew while we were playing.

Phase III beast is tough but is beatable. Our Hunter wasn't very good at all and we got his shields almost all the way down in maybe 1 minute (our soldier layed about 20 land mines in the room is why)... But once our medic wiped then we were basically screwed. I think that if we had everyone there who knew how to play video games and use the PS4 controller then we could have won. But yeah Phase III beast is a monster... And gigantic!

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I'm happy to hear that the gender division in the full game will (presumably) not be as bad as their showcase hunter team suggests. The game sounds super exciting! I have had quite a bit of fun in games like L4D and natural selection, but the length of those matches and incredible coordination required made them a bit too... I suppose serious for me in the long run.

This game seems perfect to me in concept. In L4D or NS a single one-second mistake could lead to an hour slog where it was no longer possible to win. Here ,as the monster I don't have a team to let down, and if I mess up as a hunter it will only haunt me for like 10-15 minutes, tops.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    New trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU90_1Sowfo

Interactive trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97O1dQAyhc

EDIT: I hope some PC people mod the game so you can fight the Hulk.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I swear upon all that is holy if I hear one more person talking about/complaining about the gender of video game protagonists I am going to lose my shit. Its the developer's imagination that creates the content. If you're so creative that you can organically put women into any situation then you should be a developer of some kind. If not, then shut up and play the damn game.

Edit: Sorry about the rant but I can't stand progressiveness just for the sake of progressiveness. I am all for putting women as characters but I keep seeing these kinds of comments pop up in every single game thread and its quite annoying.

pawa24 on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I agree but I also think devs should show more solidarity towards the female audience nowadays, specially if they wanna grow the player base.

Lets leave it at that. Just take it easy people.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    pawa24 wrote: »
    I swear upon all that is holy if I hear one more person talking about/complaining about the gender of video game protagonists I am going to lose my shit. Its the developer's imagination that creates the content. If you're so creative that you can organically put women into any situation then you should be a developer of some kind. If not, then shut up and play the damn game.

Edit: Sorry about the rant but I can't stand progressiveness just for the sake of progressiveness. I am all for putting women as characters but I keep seeing these kinds of comments pop up in every single game thread and its quite annoying.

gross

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

Those interactive trailers were something they did for XCOM and they worked really well. Glad to see them bringing the idea back.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2014
    pawa24 wrote: »

JodH7T0.jpg

EDIT: Having said that, I feel like this is more of a wait-and-see deal and we probably shouldn't spin our wheels speculating.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Yessss. I can't wait!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Gah! Why's everything gotta come out all at once at the end of the year?!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.