As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Evolve] - Now going to be Free to Play on PC! Original buyers get "Founders" status.

AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriumsPlateau of LengRegistered User regular
edited July 2016 in Games and Technology
Edit: So there are big changes with this game, which mostly revolve around it going Free to Play. Turns out their original model didn't work out and so they're trying to turn it into a F2P model. So far it seems fairly good and hopefully will revitalize some interest in the game. Note that there is no indication, at the moment, what the game is doing when it comes to the console versions. If I find anything out, I shall let you know in the OP.

Here is the PA steam group: PA Evolve

Come join and play!
Evolve_zps2db0ea74.jpg

Have you heard of a video game called Evolve yet? It's made by the people who made a small game you might have played called Left 4 Dead, only Evolve takes the concept of the survivors vs. infected multiplayer from that game one crucial step further. Instead of having a battle versus a human controlled tank infected - a heavily armored and heavy hitting infected monster - only a once off thing, they made a game where 4 people play against one gigantic monster. The best bit? Someone else actually plays the monster. There isn't a lot of information out right now but what we do know is:

1) Team of up to four human hunters, each with their own class abilities and powers vs. one other player who plays as a gigantic monster (we only know of one so far, the goliath)
evolve-jan-first-look-screenshot-1jpg-1e0968_zpsaa6bf457.jpg
Example classes: From the leftmost character to the one on the right; Val (medic), Markov (assault), Griffin (trapper), Hank (support).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFEvl5Cgw8A

evolve-jan-first-look-screenshot-3jpg-dc3918_zps7c949af9.jpg
An example of a monster, the Goliath. Why yes, he is breathing fire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ofvvsztOCk

2) There is ambient AI on the map such as smaller creatures and similar. Both hunters and the monster can use these to their advantage and the monster also eats them to "evolve".

Example video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7UMGoDcOPw

3) The monster starts out reasonably weak but eats hunters and other monsters to grow larger and more powerful. A level 3 monster basically turns the tables on the hunters and can chase them down with impunity.
4) Don't have friends? Bots apparently substitute for the missing players and can play as the monster if you're so inclined.
5) Multiple ways of winning some maps: The hunters have to kill the monster, but on the map we know of the monster can also win by breaking into a facility and murdering scientists.
6) There are multiple monsters but we only know about just the one, who is the very "tank like" Goliath.
7) Tracking the monster for the hunters involves following footsteps and looking for disturbed ambient life like birds suddenly flying into the air in the distance.

People are getting their hands on the game and have been writing some impressions. Based on these impressions I feel it could be well worth getting excited, because it's pretty god damn awesome from all accounts. IGN also did a positive write up of it. PC Gamer did an interview with the art director on the game.

In short, it sounds awesome and if they pull it off could be an incredibly unique and very awesome multiplayer experience.

So let's talk about it here and stuff. I will add more (much more actually) to the OP when I am more coherent and there is a good way to parse all the information on the game.

Edit: NEW STUFF

In the style of XCOM's trailers, they have done another one of those spiffy interactive youtube trailer things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m97O1dQAyhc

I approve.

Also a new trailer in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU90_1Sowfo

Plus from comments about the gender representation presented initially in the game, apparently there will be female options for other classes than medic (and at least a male option or so for the medic as well). So rest assured that everyone gets represented some way. Also they made a significant change to the monsters gameplay, in that the monster can choose to buy abilities like perks. So you can invest everything in fire breath (As an example) without the other skills, changing how the game plays significantly. Originally the monster unlocked all of its skills as it leveled up without any choice (so always got fire breath, rock throw and stomp for example) - now the player gets 3 skill points and chooses where to put them. I rather like this and apparently it's a pretty substantial and interesting change.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
Aegeri on

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for making the thread. I would have made it a while ago but I'm one of those weirdos that didn't play a L4D game.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I was sold on this after reading Game Informer's hands-on article.

GI's Evolve coverage hub: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/evolve.aspx

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I shall add those videos to the OP Arch. That's a very handy summary!

• Options
    Let me remove them from my post. Sessler has some extra stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ5WUfSzx74

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I'd love to see the expanded monsters list.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I'd love to see the expanded monsters list.

They are being very tight lipped about monsters other than the goliath, but at least it is known there are multiple monsters and hopefully they all have very different playstyles (like the various hunters).

Edit: And yes indeed he says in the Rev3 interview "Each monster fundamentally changes the way the game is played". Huzzah!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Did they say if class selection was random? I kind of hope it is.

• Options

No it's not. You have to pick one of each class, but who is who and what specific subtype of a class is up to the players.

What I wonder about is if the players know what the monster is before the game begins?

• Options
    Probably not. Seems you are thrown at different sections of the level and you need to scout to find out.

Me likey.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    this game looks bonerific

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I thought this was like TANK! TANK! TANK! and a team of 4 tanks rolling around fighting monsters :(

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

No it's not. You have to pick one of each class, but who is who and what specific subtype of a class is up to the players.

What I wonder about is if the players know what the monster is before the game begins?

Wait, the players decide amongst themselves who is who? That... might be trouble.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Gameplay looks a bit thin at this point, but they've got, what, 6 months to add more and only a few minutes of video footage have really been shown?

Love the concept, absolutely, but I'm hoping that there will be player options for "building" your own hunter from available skills, as opposed to being the same stock character every time. Same goes for the Goliath. If there's a Borderlands-esque skill system where, say, Trappers can spec between better tracking or better harpoon benefits and the Goliath can spec for better ambushing or tanking, aside from whatever they get when starting a match, I'll basically salivate.

I know that the L4D games didn't do skills, but I feel like no player-chosen character skills would make this too much like "survivors versus a tank" from L4D, except all the time. Though I imagine it would be tough to balance gameplay between a specced-out ambush Goliath and a rookie Medic, so I can't necessarily expect a system like that.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I'm sold. Just give me a release date and you have my sixty smackers.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    that rev3 video gives some insight into the development of the game and some mechanics. I like that there are multiple character per class with different abilities (so one medic may have different abilities than the next).

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    1) Team of up to four human hunters, each with their own class abilities and powers vs. one other player who plays as a gigantic monster (we only know of one so far, the goliath)
    Example classes: From the leftmost character to the one on the right; Val (medic), Markov (assault), Griffin (trapper), Hank (support).

I don't normally comment on these sorts of things, but when I saw this picture I actually felt a little disappointed. It had me thinking "Of course the one chick on the team is a tiny sniper medic." It was only a brief thought, though. Soon replaced by "That guy has a sweet 'stache."

At any rate, day one-ing Evolve so hard! I had so much fun playing L4D 1 and 2 on Xbox, and some really epic memories from playing as a Tank. I imagine playing as the creature with be like that but times a million.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Online only?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Online only?

They've said its one hunter per PC/Console so I'm guessing so.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Online only?

They've said its one hunter per PC/Console so I'm guessing so.

Pity. FPS Monster Hunter sounds interesting.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    The GameInformer write up from last month(I think) mentions that it is possible to play solo. I think there's specific SP content, but also every empty slot in a MP game gets filled by bots.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The GameInformer write up from last month(I think) mentions that it is possible to play solo. I think there's specific SP content, but also every empty slot in a MP game gets filled by bots.

Wasn't asking if I can play alone, was asking if I can play without the internet :) If my friends are sitting in the same room, I find it silly that the traffic has to go through the internet.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...if you can play with bots I guess offline SP might be a thing.

But if you want to play with other players. Yep, online.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...if you can play with bots I guess offline SP might be a thing.

But if you want to play with other players. Yep, online.

It's pretty much the way things roll these days, so I'm not complaining or anything. Offline SP might entice me to try it if they live up to the promises. These kinds of games succeed or fail on the monster design and AI.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yep. I miss the days off offline local multiplayer too.

But at the same time, it isn't easy for me to organize a get-together with friends these days anyway(especially since a lot of them live across the city/in another state). So, I guess its a wash for me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    They have mentioned bots for teammates. Splitscreen no idea.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    They have mentioned bots for teammates. Splitscreen no idea.

Bots for teammates and the creature(s). You can also take control of a bot teammate at the press of a button. They're being very friendly to those who prefer solo/have trouble organizing games with pals or have spotty internet connections. Doubtful we'll have trouble getting PA games going :D Nice to know those options are there, though.

• Options
    Well...like I just said. An interview said one hunter per PC/Console.

So I doubt splitscreen is a thing.

• Options
    to be fair, the L4D console ports did have splitscreen co-op.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Playing a Goliath is going to be intimidating as all hell, I would imagine. Being a bad or inexperienced player in a team and you can still have fun or maybe even win, but if you're by yourself? I can imagine many really disappointing rounds where the Goliath has no idea what he's doing and the Hunters stomp him.

This has been a tough thing to overcome for other one-vs-many games, like The Hidden.

That all said, this game still looks rad as fuck and I will be buying it.

• Options
    There's also AI controlled wildlife to contend with. So a newbie learning how to play as the creatures will at least have that to help them.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    A lot of ex-Obsidian, ex-Troika guys were/are on the development team of this title including Jason Anderson.

• Options
    edited February 2014

I don't normally comment on these sorts of things, but when I saw this picture I actually felt a little disappointed. It had me thinking "Of course the one chick on the team is a tiny sniper medic." It was only a brief thought, though. Soon replaced by "That guy has a sweet 'stache."

Actually Skull, I had an identical thought but apparently there will be more variety in other characters (so not all medics will be female and so on).
    Gameplay looks a bit thin at this point, but they've got, what, 6 months to add more and only a few minutes of video footage have really been shown?

Love the concept, absolutely, but I'm hoping that there will be player options for "building" your own hunter from available skills, as opposed to being the same stock character every time. Same goes for the Goliath. If there's a Borderlands-esque skill system where, say, Trappers can spec between better tracking or better harpoon benefits and the Goliath can spec for better ambushing or tanking, aside from whatever they get when starting a match, I'll basically salivate.

I know that the L4D games didn't do skills, but I feel like no player-chosen character skills would make this too much like "survivors versus a tank" from L4D, except all the time. Though I imagine it would be tough to balance gameplay between a specced-out ambush Goliath and a rookie Medic, so I can't necessarily expect a system like that.

They won't be doing that because they want to balance the game specifically around people being able to identify and clearly plan strategies against different compositions and such. It would be way too unfair and difficult to the monster if you had four player characters who can do almost anything - hence why different builds are entirely different characters. So you see X player and instantly know that they can do certain things. Same thing with the monster, where hunters can develop certain strategies depending on what the creature is and its playstyle (as every monster plays considerably different and they don't know what the monster is until they see it). Balancing the game to be fun with something that's 4 vs. 1 is very very hard, so they want to have variety and yet have that balanced. The only way to do that is to make clear identifications as to who does what and that's probably why they chose the system they did.
    There's also AI controlled wildlife to contend with. So a newbie learning how to play as the creatures will at least have that to help them.

Actually some wildlife can help the hunters as well if the hunters can goad the monster into an ill thought attack. That's what I like, there are creatures that aren't afraid to take on the monster and then there are other things that are too scared, but will gladly attack hunters.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/11/evolve-hands-on-preview-and-interview-left-4-monsters-4299572/

GC: I get the impression you’re not going to tell me what the other monsters are but can you given me an idea of what sort of range they encompass? Are there going to be giant robots and other sci-fi type opponents, or are they all creatures like that?

PR: Yeah, Goliath is the first one… I mean they all have sort of similar origins, which I won’t go into, but each monster has a very different play style. So for example, if you don’t like being a giant reptilian gorilla that smashes stuff and breathes fire there are other guys that play very different. And so if you’re the sort of guy that prefers being sneaky there’s gonna be something there for you.

Giant robot. That gotta be DLC at least.

EDIT: Or Riddick. :D

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Upset that the only woman is the medic, and that L4D character interactions seem to be on the backburner.

Worried about the class roles. There will surely be fights over that.

Excited for everything else.

• Options
    There will be women who are non-medics (each individual build of a class is a specific character).

• Options
    Check the article. It mentions the possibility of other crew members.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Left 4 Dead was one of my favorite games. I spent so many hours in vs mode, and maybe more time with that game, and L4D2, than any other. I was just thinking about how awesome a L4D3 would be, when I heard about this. While the little I've heard makes it seem like the game play would be really shallow and one sides, something tells me this is going to quickly be one of my favorite games.

• Options
    You know, I'm not sure there's ever going to be a sequel to L4D2. I think this might be it.

• Options
    Valve seem to have a thing against the number "3"....

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Something L4D was leaked with a demo of the next version of the Source engine.

Leaks so I don't consider it official but I doubt Valve is gonna give up on it.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith