As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Evolve] - Now going to be Free to Play on PC! Original buyers get "Founders" status.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It doesn't help that two of those mythical beasts are basically just big humans. Naming one of your monsters "Titan" and having it not being a giant naked human is just colossally bad idea.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    It does kind of make sense though. The hunters seem like a band of space-hick mercenaries, so I wouldn't expect them to be very creative when naming their quarry. Anyone raising the kind of objection jdarksun just made above would probably be thrown into a space-locker.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It doesn't help that two of those mythical beasts are basically just big humans. Naming one of your monsters "Titan" and having it not being a giant naked human is just colossally bad idea.

I voted for Behemoth, it's the one I liked most. Not that that's saying much.

Titan and Colossus might as well be the same name, they're also bland and boring. Juggernaut isn't bad, I could live with Juggernaut but it still only rates an 'eh' reaction from me.

What I want to know is, why couldn't they use Leviathan?

Based on that thing's silhouette, I'm guessing it could look like some deep ocean horror. (Or some rampaging mechanical monstrosity, but I don't want to get my hopes up.) So Leviathan could be a fitting name. It's also not as ho-hum as any of the four actual choices.

I saw that silhouette and thought it looked like a Leviathan. But no, instead they go with four boring names.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    jdarksun wrote: »

I voted for Behemoth, it's the one I liked most. Not that that's saying much.

Titan and Colossus might as well be the same name, they're also bland and boring. Juggernaut isn't bad, I could live with Juggernaut but it's still only gets a 'eh' reaction.

What I want to know is, why couldn't they use Leviathan?

Based on that thing's silhouette, I'm guessing it could look like some deep ocean horror. (Or some rampaging mechanical monstrosity, but I don't want to get my hopes up.) So Leviathan could be a fitting name. It's also not as ho-hum as any of the four actual choices.

I saw that silhouette and thought it looked like a Leviathan. But no, instead they go with four boring names.

They're clearly basing this monster around that idea that it's unusually big and tough, and sea-monster names don't really make me think of that. There's a ton of names of different giants they could have picked from, though I'm guessing they wanted to avoid giants because they already named Goliath after one.

I'm trying to think of good names of monsters that were notable for being armored or invincible, but it's a shorter list. I mean, it's not like "Catoblepas" rolls off the tongue, and "Nemean lion" is right out.

Fakefaux on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Leviathan is a good one.

...although now I kinda want an Evolve/Attack on Titan crossover.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Leviathan would have to be reserved for a monster that came from the sea or had marine heritages. I realize it looks like a giant fuckoff crab as I say that, but it looks more humanoid than fish despite its claws.
    I'd go with Behemoth, personally.

Behemoth means enormous creature, and the silhouette suggests that this crab thing is hunched and crouching compared to the extention that goliath is roaring. the crab could easily be larger than goliath.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Behemoth was my vote. Titan and Colossus are too generic and Juggernaut is over-used. Behemoth is okay, but I don't like the idea of them doing two monsters named after Biblical figures; seems repetitive and ethnocentric.

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Has there been word on whether or not the PC version will ship with the ability to run community servers?

I would download a car.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    That monster looks like a Rock Lobster to me.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Why not Zoidberg?

Not GOTY if it doesnt go WoopWoopWoopWoopWoop and spray ink *everywhere* as an ability. It could use it to escape -or- blind the hunters...

I think I have an idea of how that monster should play now...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    Yeah, nest mode looks interesting. I think I'll prefer Hunt: Nest mode seems too frantic for me. But I'm sure it'll be fun every once in a while.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    It does have a shorter timer, so I think quick pick-up games are intended to be its niche.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how fun Nest mode will be once all of the egg spawns are known.

what a happy day it is
    edited November 2014
    Well, from what they said the eggs can spawn in different areas each time. I suspect that means there's more potential spawn locations than there are eggs. Since the hunters only get clued in to the location of the two or so nearest eggs then knowing where all the potential spawn locations are doesn't help them that much. They don't know which locations are duds so they may end up wasting time checking them, time the monster can spend hatching an egg or eating/evolving..

Fakefaux on
    edited November 2014
    the eggs need to be hidden more, or not pop up on the HUD when a pixel of it shows up on a hunter's screen. It should only be marked on the HUD when a hunter is within 20 feet and they press the waypoint button they have. I mention a 20 foot range to prevent players from just spamming waypoints at previously known spawn points or using the game to find the egg for you at a distance.

I think that would open up a lot of strategy. Early game the choice is stay together and be strong, but slow searching, or split up to cover more ground but be vulnerable. Do we attack eggs en masse or maybe have one person lure the monster to an egg while the others go after two, or even use it to ambush the Monster and just kill it outright and out-meta a player thinking they only need level 1 monster armor because hunters would be focused on the eggs.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    edited November 2014
    Nest mode definitely seems geared for more dynamic tactical play. Hunters spreading out, then collapsing in when ambushed, then dispersing when things go wrong. OThe Monster deciding between a stage 1 all-in ambush and a stage 3 last stand. While I still think I'll prefer Hunt's pacing, it'll be interesting to see the tactical back-and-forth of a good Nest match.

And if you ever get tired of always chasing down the monster in Hunt mode, well Nest will be a nice place to chill out.

Oh, and I cannot wait to test out running Bucket with Maggie. Drop 5 turrets and 5 harpoon traps at an egg, then run to the next one.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Playing defensive as the monster does not sound fun at all.

Honestly I feel like they should just sell what was in the "alpha" for $20 and call it a day. It'll never happen but there you go.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited December 2014
    Fakefaux on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Story doesn't make sense but I don't expect too much. Monsters are destroying half the planet! Its an evacuation! Except we're going in to kill the monsters

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    Also, I just noticed at the end of the trailer, apparently that's a game mode as well. "Evacuation" mode.

More information on Evacuation mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o90N2arWdr4

edited December 2014
    RPS makes a good point.

I think a lot of people disappointed by the Alpha went in expecting something a little more...shooty? Not that that was a bad or wrong expectation, but I think the game is a shooter crossed with 30% MOBA, and some shooter fans just don't like MOBAs in their shooters.

Like the article said, the shooting is almost an afterthought; it's using the team's toolbox that's important. And I love that.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • BaskeBaske Registered User regular
    Evacuation mode sounds basically like a mini story-mode since they are sequential.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    the eggs need to be hidden more, or not pop up on the HUD when a pixel of it shows up on a hunter's screen. It should only be marked on the HUD when a hunter is within 20 feet and they press the waypoint button they have. I mention a 20 foot range to prevent players from just spamming waypoints at previously known spawn points or using the game to find the egg for you at a distance.

I think that would open up a lot of strategy. Early game the choice is stay together and be strong, but slow searching, or split up to cover more ground but be vulnerable. Do we attack eggs en masse or maybe have one person lure the monster to an egg while the others go after two, or even use it to ambush the Monster and just kill it outright and out-meta a player thinking they only need level 1 monster armor because hunters would be focused on the eggs.

The point of highlighting at the slightest provocation is to reduce the impact of not having foreknowledge of all the potential egg spawn locations. Players will eventually be able to know where all the eggs could be and spot them from a single pixel out of place from a hundred feet away regardless, and players who don't know where the eggs could be will basically never be able to spot them the way you suggest, which would pretty much instantly lose them the game. It's not a good idea.

The actual act of seeing an egg is not supposed to be a required player skill, just the act of searching the map for them.

Garthor on
    But its not searching the map when the thing pips on your hud from halfway across the map, and you ain't even looking at it...

I agree, maybe something a little more forgiving, but I've searched and found things under duress (bombs in counterstrike draw parrallels).

You don't need to hand the locations at the start to the hunters.
    I dunno, nest doesn't sound like my gig. It feels like a race to see if the hunters can kill the eggs before you get to T3 and guard the last one....

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Musicool wrote: »
    RPS makes a good point.

I think a lot of people disappointed by the Alpha went in expecting something a little more...shooty? Not that that was a bad or wrong expectation, but I think the game is a shooter crossed with 30% MOBA, and some shooter fans just don't like MOBAs in their shooters.

Like the article said, the shooting is almost an afterthought; it's using the team's toolbox that's important. And I love that.

The pundits he mentions, and the comments on that article, really show how the game definitely provokes a love-it-or-hate it reaction with people who have played. What I find more odd is that, despite all the articles and releases and awards, I see very little talk about Evolve on various gaming forums and websites, certainly relative to other upcoming big releases. Either there's no sign of discussion whatsoever or what discussion there is is fairly anemic.

I wonder if that guy reaction a lot of people have will ultimately hurt this game in sales, thus reducing the likelihood of future monster/hunter releases, or the possibility of some DLC becoming cheaper or even free.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2014
    Aegeri wrote: »
    There will be women who are non-medics (each individual build of a class is a specific character).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc
    The optimism was nice while it lasted though.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    Aegeri wrote: »
    There will be women who are non-medics (each individual build of a class is a specific character).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc
    The optimism was nice while it lasted though.

Maggie isn't a medic.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oooh, Nest mode might actually get me caring about this game again.

My main problem with Hunt was how much of the game was doing nothing and thus totally boring, but with objectives to contest on the map there should actually be things going on most of the time.

I still hope they tighten up the gunplay and movement to be more fun before release too.

Inquisitor on
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Maggie isn't a medic.
    What is the definition of "women"?

YL9WnCY.png
    Regarding evacuation mode, I really want a long-form kind of play like Left 4 Dead 1/2 where you play over multiple maps before determining a winner. So I hope it's similar to that?

YL9WnCY.png
    Regarding evacuation mode, I really want a long-form kind of play like Left 4 Dead 1/2 where you play over multiple maps before determining a winner. So I hope it's similar to that?

Seems to be exactly like that, but you get to vote on the maps (aside from the first and last one) and there are certain carryover effects.
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Maggie isn't a medic.
    What is the definition of "women"?

Eh? An adult human female is the definition I was operating on, and Maggie fits the bill. Plus, the two female medics have substantial combat roles, with one being a sniper and the other a grenadier. Still, it's absurd that in a game with twelve human characters only three are non-Caucasian and only three are women and two of those three women are medics.

edited December 2014
    "There will be women who are non-medics"

There is only one woman who is not a medic. The statement was wrong. I was just commenting that the devs couldn't even get over that extremely low bar set for them.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not picking on Aegeri or anything. It's just that the devs really drop the ball on this one.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2014
    "There will be women who are non-medics"

There is only one woman who is not a medic. The statement was wrong. I was just commenting that the devs couldn't even get over that extremely low bar set for them.

Ah, sorry, I didn't realize that plurality was the sticking issue. Reading comprehension, I lack it. In that case I agree. I was really hoping one of the assaults would be a woman. And that cowboy-themed trapper could have easily been Annie Oakley rather than Doc Holiday.

Fakefaux on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Wonder if the evacuation game mode has the hunters protecting civilians that the monster can leap into and eat/toss around the map..

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Have any balance changes happened since like the first couple days of the alpha? I am mostly wandering if they adjusted Kraken and/or made it so that Lazarus couldn't totally negate strikes.

I'm also really surprised at the monster victory stat being so low, given I didn't find the monster that hard to play and won 20+ games with no losses. A bunch were against globs of the same group, but still.

I ate an engineer
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Wonder if the evacuation game mode has the hunters protecting civilians that the monster can leap into and eat/toss around the map..

Evacuation isn't really a mode, but a grouping of modes. The Rescue mode has civilians the monster can kill, and one of the win effects for a map can result in AI soldiers spawning on the next map, who will wander around and shoot at the monster if they see it.
    milski wrote: »
    Have any balance changes happened since like the first couple days of the alpha? I am mostly wandering if they adjusted Kraken and/or made it so that Lazarus couldn't totally negate strikes.

I'm also really surprised at the monster victory stat being so low, given I didn't find the monster that hard to play and won 20+ games with no losses. A bunch were against globs of the same group, but still.

They've tweaked some stuff, but Laz still negates strikes. As for the monsters, they're very different from the more standard FPS gameplay of the hunters, so it seems only natural that there'd be a steeper learning curve with them.