As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - The Old Ways

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - The Old Ways

Need an account? Create one!

Read the full story here

IcyLiquid on

• Options
    bucketydanbucketydan Mr WalesRegistered User regular
    Pics or it didn't happen.

• Options
    TFXRavenTFXRaven Galactic Emperor Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I need pictures of this. Also: Comments on comics? ZOMG. What about comments on news posts when those get fixed?

• Options
    rocketjohnrocketjohn Registered User regular
    News post links to an old newpost for a comic with the same title - are you looking up related news posts using text matching?

• Options
    TFXRavenTFXRaven Galactic Emperor Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    rocketjohn wrote: »
    News post links to an old newpost for a comic with the same title - are you looking up related news posts using text matching?

I was referring to how new News Posts are parsed on the site, which is poor.

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Well, the new site may be a bit dodgy but the comic's still pure gold.

• Options
    HipsterSlenderHipsterSlender ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    But...but Tool is awesome.

"Order! Order! Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time?"
  • Options
    RogueKitsuneRogueKitsune TexasRegistered User new member
    *still listens to Tool and wears a trenchcoat when it's cold enough* And there's nothing wrong with eating lunch in the art room. Sure, your sammich may take on the taste of turpentine a wee bit, but it just gives your peanut butter Depth. :P

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    for some reason I'm not at all surprised that the Greek-mythology block (may have) enticed Tycho back into playing.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I played Magic for a long, long time but after freeing myself from the beast I can't imagine ever going back. It's a dark world of card protectors and getting mana screwed while searching for a deck that doesn't cost as much as a new car payment.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Ahaha, I love comics like this. Where you can tell the dialog is from actuall teasing/bickering sessions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Man. I miss the days when I used to listen to a lot of Tool.

• Options
    fiftypeakfiftypeak Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah, I still listen to them on occasion. But I remember back in the day when it was non stop Tool while in the car.

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Highschool is such an odd mix of nostalgia and regret for me.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    JackdawGin wrote: »
    Highschool is such an odd mix of nostalgia and regret for me.

I think that's everybody.

• Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Gabe is a liar, It was much more than "just the tips"
    214677274_EdfH8-L-2.jpg

• Options
    SadgrinnerSadgrinner Registered User new member
    Why yes, I am going to start listening to Tool again.

Tycho, are you going to the Spokane show or the Portland show?
    http://www.toolband.com/tour/index.html

The universe is aligning. There's a Born of the Gods prerelease this weekend, and Tool is visiting the Pacific Northwest again... see you there!

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Is there a reason the comic is displayed in a smaller format than before?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    It is my opinion as 23 year old male that the '90s were weird. :P
    I played Magic for a long, long time but after freeing myself from the beast I can't imagine ever going back. It's a dark world of card protectors and getting mana screwed while searching for a deck that doesn't cost as much as a new car payment.

And the bolded is why I only play MtG casually now and instead divert my money intended for competitive card game play into the less expensive Pokemon TCG. The playerbase is just so much smaller so the prices don't get insanely high even on game-breaking cards, because chances are it'll be reprinted as a promo in 3 months anyway.

Tycho, be careful how deep you go!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Heh..."The Old Ways" was also used as a title for one of their D&D comics back in 2009. :)

• Options
    MertsegerMertseger Registered User new member
    Sigh..dating a witch is feature, not a bug.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    fiftypeak wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yeah, I still listen to them on occasion. But I remember back in the day when it was non stop Tool while in the car.

I actually just went back and listened to Aenima recently.

While driving I've been listening to a lot of Alice in Chains and NIN. The only thing that keeps what I've been listening to lately updated from the 90s is that The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is in the mix.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    Mertseger wrote: »

The news post agrees. But how to the fairies know the acorn cup milk is GMO free?

• Options
    KaylerBrodieKaylerBrodie Registered User new member
    I remember being in 8th grade when magic became pretty popular. Even then I couldn't get into a CCG. I think I was too busy playing Myst and Doom. This is also the same time I got introduced to D&D. Now, as an adult I'm still not into Magic, but I took my son to PAX for the first time in 2012 and gave him the Magic cards from the "swag bag." He's been hooked ever since. Recently, I had some friends open a game shop down in Tacoma called Tacoma Games. So every Friday, I take my son in there to do a draft, while I play Pathfinder with my friends, which happen to be the owners.

As I watch things unfold at the game store I see that drafts seem to be the way to go. It's a way to level the playing field. While, it is a money investment I see how much fun my son has playing it.

• Options
    StoneBrooksStoneBrooks Registered User new member
    I made a sweet purchase today! Oh.... aw....
    Untitled.png

• Options
    MertsegerMertseger Registered User new member
    JackdawGin wrote: »

The news post agrees. But how to the fairies know the acorn cup milk is GMO free?
    I posted before the news post was up. The faeries are amused by our fumbling at genetic modification because they've been doing so to their human stock for a few millennia now.

• Options
    Rex HondoRex Hondo Registered User new member

Being married to a witch (One of the fairly normal ones, not one of the fruitloops that insist that people call them Ravenmoon Wolfblood), I can say that is has a lot to recommend it. ;)

• Options
    AlwaysTheBigSpoonAlwaysTheBigSpoon Registered User regular
    I seem to be missing a reference. What's with the witch?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

It's not really a reference. It would appear Tycho just used to date a person who identified as a witch.

Maybe they were Wiccan.

Maybe they tried to cast spells they learned on a magic forum.

Xjj97t2.png

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It was definitely from his stint at Hogwarts.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Dating a witch is all about dating one of the groovy laid-back ones and not one of the ones who nails a dead rodent to their ex's dorm room door. Though the latter kind is good for stories!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    (Looks at his location on the forums).

Ouch.

New album hopefully this year sometime (and maybe, if I'm lucky, the go east of Austin on this mini-tour).

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Rex Hondo wrote: »

Being married to a witch (One of the fairly normal ones, not one of the fruitloops that insist that people call them Ravenmoon Wolfblood), I can say that is has a lot to recommend it. ;)

AKA Fluffbunnies. I have no idea where that moniker came from.

As an outsider, it's the equivalent of Christians accusing each other of not being "real" or authentic enough.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    AlwaysTheBigSpoonAlwaysTheBigSpoon Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

It's not really a reference. It would appear Tycho just used to date a person who identified as a witch.

Maybe they were Wiccan.

Maybe they tried to cast spells they learned on a magic forum.

Xjj97t2.png

Ugh... That's what I get for early morning reading. Couldn't connect the dots. Also, literally L'ed OL on the ghost.

• Options
    Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    I knew somebody who wore a trenchcoat and had a tool shirt.

Love, love this comic. I laughed my butt off because how true it is.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/