As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Which would be nice if it was an actual good book like Captain Marvel was.

But it's not a good book.

I agree. It's pretty much Deadpool but with Harley Quinn instead. They're not similar characters at all.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I suspect DC's commitment to keeping 52(ish) titles at one time is allowing some of the weaker books to skate by while they try to find replacements.

Solicits just dropped, and there are only 42 "New 52" ongoings in May. And still only 49 "New 52" issues when you add in the weekly shippers and the Superman one-shot.

I think they're literally just completely tapped out of talent.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    If only there were like, a shitload of creative people doing webcomics, indie books, or fanart that they could look to.

If only these people could be found, worldwide, through some kind of massive network allowing for the free exchange of goods and services.

Oh, to live in such a world.

It's pretty amazing to see such a huge, old company that is part of one of the biggest media conglomerations in the world just fumble its resources so badly.

And yeah the beginning of the New 52 probably made guys like Didio and Harras look great, but approaching the three year mark you'd hope that it'd be as apparent to the company as it is to us that the current people in charge have just made a continuous chain of terrible decisions and are killing the line.

The worst part is that not only do I think Johns would do well with some editorial power, but there are a ton of journeymen creators working at DC right now who have strong editorial backgrounds. Dudes like Tomasi and Bedard. Fuck, Levitz is still around even. They may not have a strong pool of writing talent, but they have a bunch of guys that could be re-purposed to fix all these management issues if only WB had better understanding and oversight.

Instead it seems like the current regime will run the line into the ground, and WB will end up exploding the DC we know and say that the market was against them or some half-thought nonsense.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    If only there were like, a shitload of creative people doing webcomics, indie books, or fanart that they could look to.

If only these people could be found, worldwide, through some kind of massive network allowing for the free exchange of goods and services.

Oh, to live in such a world.

DC's too committed to its house style for that to work. They pretty much have to work with pros, because any new talent will be too distinctive to fit into the New 52.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    When DC digital's stuff starts to fold up or basically be nothing more than their regular DC output, that's when it's over.

I mean, it kind of feels over now, but that will be super duper official.

Oh, hey. Speaking of DC's digital department.

You guys read the two newest Adventures of Superman?

One in which Superman babysits Sugar and Spike, as drawn by Phil Hester, and the next where Superman acts like fucking Superman, as drawn by Doc Shaner?

99PEEqr.jpg

Easily two of the best takes on Superman I've seen in months, and they're written by Fabian Nicieza and Ron Marz. Why such a disparity in quality, between this and their New 52 work? Better editors? Paired with more suitable artists? Not rushed to push the issues out of the gate as quickly as possible?

Honestly, I'd be pretty okay with the print side of things folding, and the digital guys being the main arm of DC comics, going forward.

edited February 2014
    Easily two of the best takes on Superman I've seen in months, and they're written by Fabian Nicieza and Ron Marz. Why such a disparity in quality, between this and their New 52 work? Better editors? Paired with more suitable artists? Not rushed to push the issues out of the gate as quickly as possible?

Honestly, I'd be pretty okay with the print side of things folding, and the digital guys being the main arm of DC comics, going forward.

Munch, these comics don't meet Dan Didio's editorial mandate of "Keep it shitty."

Edit: In all honesty, like @Phillishere just observed, I think it's been clear for some time now that almost every problem has been due both to editorial incompetence coming from the higher levels, as well as mandated house art and writing/plotting styles that feel lifted from the 90s. The only dudes that get to breath a little bit outside of it are Johns, Lemire and Snyder. It doesn't help because DC is trying to make lesser-knowns into a new crop of AAA writers, but the restrictions they seem to be placing on them are resulting instead in a bunch of writers who all have a similar voice and are putting out mediocre titles.

It may actually be harmful for new writers to work at DC like this. It will be very difficult for guys like Kyle Higgins, who didn't really launch off a high profile indie book, to rebuild his credibility elsewhere.

HadjiQuest on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it's the trunks

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Oh, hey. Speaking of DC's digital department.

You guys read the two newest Adventures of Superman?

One in which Superman babysits Sugar and Spike, as drawn by Phil Hester, and the next where Superman acts like fucking Superman, as drawn by Doc Shaner?

99PEEqr.jpg

What's wrong with Pak's work in Action Comics?

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Question, if DC completely loses Gail Simon does it really matter?

Looks like she's getting a bit of Marvel work. She has a dedicated fanbase but does it really add to anything she does.

Cade on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Cade wrote: »

Looks like she's getting a bit of Marvel work. She has a dedicated fanbase but does it really add to anything she does.

Yes, because she can be a fantastic writer when left to her own devices. Secret Six was amazing because it was mostly "nobody" characters that she got to write how she wanted. Whereas, if I'm remembering correctly, she didn't want Barbara to be Batgirl again but said "they're gonna do it anyway so I might as well write it"

• RansRans Registered User regular
    Late to the party on commenting on this, but Green Lantern Corps #28 felt like a return to the pre-Brightest Day Tomasi quality days of GLC. Easily the best issue of the new team's run and the reason for this was they embraced all of the pre-New 52 continuity from the last GLC run instead of just not using the characters or not mentioning the history. It had Soranik thinking about Korugar, her father Sinestro, and Kyle, Von Daggle and discussion about the Corpse, Iolande actually acting like Iolande for the first time in years, Morro and the crypt, and quick check in on our new recruits. I am pleased.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Deleted.

Harry Dresden on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    For years, I've wanted to see a sequel to Grant Morrison's Kid Eternity mini-series, where the Kid and Mr. Keeper activate the Chaos Engines they were secretly setting up all along, and undo all the editorial fuckassery that's been going on at DC.

In other news; pigs fly! Film at 11.

kyrcl.png
    What's wrong with Pak's work in Action Comics?

I keep forgetting about the good books DC still publishes, which isn't fair.

But, I just read all of the New 52 TPBs available through my local library system, and all I can feel is hate.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If it helps Munch, I've stored most of the new52 I got before I dropped, down in the bottom layer box with things like Chuck Austen's X-men, Maximum Carnage , some of the Crisis's, etc. So that it will know it's being punished.
    ( There still are a couple titles I pull tho, it is a sad ratio though)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

Yes, because she can be a fantastic writer when left to her own devices. Secret Six was amazing because it was mostly "nobody" characters that she got to write how she wanted. Whereas, if I'm remembering correctly, she didn't want Barbara to be Batgirl again but said "they're gonna do it anyway so I might as well write it"

Yeah, she would probably do good at Marvel as they seem to be doing a good job of handing out characters who one wouldn't expect to get a monthyl and giving them to a quality team.

Important question though, is who would you want to see her write?

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Hasn't she said she had a bad experience at Marvel which is why she left after Deadpool/Agent X?

Though I can't imagine things are going swimmingly at DC, she has been one of the ones towing the company line the hardest for some reason.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Hasn't she said she had a bad experience at Marvel which is why she left after Deadpool/Agent X?

Though I can't imagine things are going swimmingly at DC, she has been one of the ones towing the company line the hardest for some reason.

probably hoping that if she was a good and loyal employee they'd recognize that and treat her less shittily than they have nearly everyone else

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Maybe she's got stockholm syndrome now

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    glithert wrote: »
    Maybe she's got stockholm syndrome now
    Naah, she's probably just going to straight up leave DC. I think she's still on Batgirl, but other than that, all her other books are Indies or Marvel.

sig.gif
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

Was there much editorial mandate on The Movement? Cause otherwise it would prove this theory wrong.

Didn't Simone write Gen 13 once? I wonder if The Movement was her attempt at doing the same thing again.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It definitely was, as it featured a least one Gen 13 character. Maybe 2, I can't remember.

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

That just says Azzarello and Chiang are finishing their run. The book isn't ending.

Unless it's someone like James Asmus or Pak or Busiek (!) WW #28 will be my final DC Universe book for the foreseeable future.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Well DC isn't exactly overflowing with talent so I'm probably out with them.

Quire.jpg
    I do not see Kurt Busiek coming anywhere near the New 52

CYpGAPn.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Gail Simone???

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gail Simone???

Considering her recent output...

Quire.jpg
    I'm not suggesting anything about the quality, but she seems like someone DC would approach to take over the book. Or maybe that'd be too much overlap with Red Sonja for her.

The worst part is that now the stupid Superman romance will be in Wonder Woman's book

WW+Orion OTP

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I would guess that after Azzarrello leaves DC will push for WW to be more in line with the new

It was a bit weird how she seemed like a completely different character in her book.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Gail Simone???
    She's already written Wonder Woman... and from what I remember, the run could be best described as "Diana is Baby Crazy".

sig.gif
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I think Gail is overrated. At least when not on BoP or Secret Six

Maybe its just the editorial crap forcing her to write stuff shes not that into.... I dunno....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I would guess that after Azzarrello leaves DC will push for WW to be more in line with the new

It was a bit weird how she seemed like a completely different character in her book.
    Azzarrello isn't leaving, he's one of the writers on Future's End

CYpGAPn.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    At the very least, this WW run is worth owning in hardcover trades.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    I think Azzarello and Chiang's take on Wonder Woman as a character is pretty much perfect.

Chiang draws her strong, confident, and beautiful. He makes her revealing costume work and not be sexual. Shit, he drew her naked and it came off as strong instead of sexy.

Azzarello makes the "warrior for peace" work completely. She's strong, confident, and compassionate, but she's not perfect and she knows it.

When Hades said Wonder Woman lied to him and she says "No I didn't. I. Love. Everyone." is honestly one of my favorite character moments.