As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you've read All-Star and you're looking for more, Morrison's Action Comics is kind of the run-up to that.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Morrison's Action Comics run was so great.

And confusing at times until you start putting all the pieces together as you get to the end.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Munch wrote: »
    CAS8Gx-U8AAjc38.jpg:small

DC would never make that a cover, meaning it's not particularly good at making it's point.

Because it shows a male hero, crying and helpless?

Kiiiiiiinda the point.

Then we've hit the problem point of satire: Many of the people reposting this cover don't understand that it's meant to illustrate a point beyond "That Batgirl cover was fine."

As is shown in the original post of that image on DeviantArt and Twitter.

And in the artist's own words:
    So, yesterday I kinda blew up the internet w/ Superman/Doomsday, huh? @CBR pointed out it's used by both sides of the argument. #Art

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Ultra Comics may be the most bizarre thing I've ever read

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I wanna see how convergence compares to secret wars... I'm really curious... So I'm gonna pick up convergence #0 this week.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Morrison's Action Comics run was so great.

And confusing at times until you start putting all the pieces together as you get to the end.

Man I can't stress this enough. So, so, so good. It's a damn shame too because everything that came after was so off putting for me.

So is Convergence a Crisis?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So is Convergence a Crisis?

DC has been marketing it like one...
    "Where do worlds go when they die? The Earthquakes felt round the Multiverse, Superman's lost days after 'Doomed,' the World's End - all these points will converge as the history of the DCU is spun from a new perspective, the perspective of a mad god and his arrogant child. The biggest story in DC history ties into literally every DC story ever told - and it all begins here. Kingdom Come, Red Son, Wild West Justice League, Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew - all the worlds you remember can still be found on Telos. Everything matters. Every story matters. Don't miss the start of DC's April/May 2015 event with this special issue! "

"Here, we're not only telling a story that not only touches upon every character and every generation of hero, but brings them all together in one story, one event," says DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio. "There was a great expression from 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' -- 'Worlds live, worlds die and nothing will ever be the same.' Well, here in 'Convergence,' we're gonna follow the worlds that died."
    but I think it's going to be more like Final Crisis than the others, with a lot more fanbait for old school fans (I also think it's meant to coincide with DC's move of offices from east to west)

Zavian on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Right, it was conceived of as a way to put the regular publishing line on hold while DC moves its offices and people to the west coast. Popular belief is that Convergence was never meant to have much of an impact on the regular line, just be a celebration of what came before.

Rumors are that Secret Wars from Marvel, with a very similar multiverse-based storyline which is marketed as having a major impact on Marvel's regular line, changed the original plans for Convergence and that they've now tried to make it seem more important and have more impact.

It remains to be seen a) if it's any good and b) if it has any relevance to the regular line of books

• Options
    Rans wrote: »
    It remains to be seen a) if it's any good
    Convergence #0 is shit. Like, from a butt

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Brainiac just shows up and bottles different universe cities and that's about it?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    It's actually even less than that. Come to think of it, what did happen? The thing decided it was evil? Or what? It thinks it's brainiac's sucessor? I don't even fucking know.

glithert on
  • Options
    I think my brain shut off a couple pages in

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Aww dang.... really? I still have to pick it up. No refunds.

Armoroc on
  • Options

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    glithert wrote: »
    It's actually even less than that. Come to think of it, what did happen? The thing decided it was evil? Or what? It thinks it's brainiac's sucessor? I don't even fucking know.

Brainiac has been bottling up cities from different universes. When he went to the New 52 universe, he never came back. So now the AI he left in charge has decided, "Screw it, I'm blazing my own path" by making the bottled cities fight it out.

That's it.

• Options

Brainiac has been bottling up cities from different universes. When he went to the New 52 universe, he never came back. So now the AI he left in charge has decided, "Screw it, I'm blazing my own path" by making the bottled cities fight it out.

That's it.
    And Future's End ties in to that by having PRime-Brainiac dying or something in that story. I haven't read it so I am assuming he dies I guess.

• Options
    Convergence Superman #1 was ok, the premise being Lois and Clark (and Jimmy) were in Gotham when the bubble happened, and somehow lost his powers because plot, and that's how Lois got preggo. But now this pre-Flashpoint Gotham has to fight Flashpoint Gotham, which has a lot more "heroes", including creepy stalker skinny Superman.

It was Jurgens writing a strong Lois and Clark and even bringing classic, non-Ruin Emil Hamilton into the fold (I think Infinite Crisis removed that plot point?) but then the issue got saddled with the Flashpoint stuff which is literally when the DCU died, hand to God, and it's sort of reflected here. Lee Weeks' art is really nice too.

Convergence Nightwing/Oracle #1 was a bit better. Dick and Babs are in this Gotham too, and it's much more street level, showing quickly how the city is reacting to being in a bubble for a year or whatever, even villains just giving up like Mr. Freeze (and Babs). And then the Flashpoint Hawkman and Hawkwoman show up after killing the El Inferno heroes.

This was much more like a Simone/Dixon Birds of Prey story, but again, Flashpoint shows up and literally, literally kills it all.

It's sort of amazing how it's been gone for 4 years but it shows up again and just right away the heroes feel like heroes and just not trying to be super cool with V-collars or whatever. What these issues show more than anything is just how in each issue the old is so much better than the kewl and it seems to fly over DC's head.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I missed my books today (at the library all day until after the shop closed), I'm knee deep into my master's thesis, and I have a whole run of Future's End I want to read before it, but damn if I don't want to check out the couple of Convergence tie-ins I was planning on grabbing today.

Superman sounds pretty good, and I'm eager to see Question and Atom as well.

• Options
    Convergence

The problem with a number of the Convergence books is they're all part 1 of 2, so they're mostly setup. The writers don't get enough time to really revisit the characters because
    they're setting up their Convergence situation.

Convergence #1 is all setup, but it's important for those who've been following Earth 2, as it handles the fates of certain characters from the end of that book.

jP3Mj6m.jpg
    Superman surprised me, because it's a solid book, but I realized that I don't miss Lois & Clark and I don't miss the old Superman costume. Didn't understand that until I read this. Like meeting an old, beloved friend, but realizing you've moved on.

Z7Jp7oF.jpg
    dRnV9pC.jpg
    Nightwing/Oracle on the other hand, reminded me how much I miss Nightwing, Oracle, and the old Starfire/Nightwing relationship. Oracle going in too. Loved it, even if the art and a bit rough.

Speed Force, Atom, and Batgirl featured the return of certain characters I've missed - Wally West, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, and
    Ryan Choi
    , but the books themselves were lackluster. Either they were confusing, boring, or ugly.

• Options
    @Automaticzen were you the person reading Earth 2: Worlds End? Was that any good? I read the first issue and felt really let down, and given that we all knew how the book ended before it started, I'm not sure I want to go back and read it at any point.

• Options
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    @Automaticzen were you the person reading Earth 2: Worlds End? Was that any good? I read the first issue and felt really let down, and given that we all knew how the book ended before it started, I'm not sure I want to go back and read it at any point.

Yeah, I had been reading the entire thing, because I've had a soft spot for Earth 2. It was uneven. There were some decent moments, like
    Power Girl fully taking on her role as Superman's successor, Green Lantern understanding the full scope of his connection to the Earth, Dick Grayson's move into the heroes' fold
    , and Val-Zod generally being awesome, but it was a very uneven book. At one point, they
    re-introduce Superman... just to kill him a few issues later
    . Felt like a waste. Hopefully Earth-2: Society will be better.

• Options

Yeah, I had been reading the entire thing, because I've had a soft spot for Earth 2. It was uneven. There were some decent moments, like
    Power Girl fully taking on her role as Superman's successor, Green Lantern understanding the full scope of his connection to the Earth, Dick Grayson's move into the heroes' fold
    , and Val-Zod generally being awesome, but it was a very uneven book. At one point, they

Ehh, I'll probably skip World's End then. That world had so much promise, and it feels like they ruined it already. I've heard Earth 2 society will be tying into Darkseid War at some point in its first arc, so I might give it a try for a few issues just because I've been waiting to see that storyline play out across Earth 2 and Justice League since the New 52 first started.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

Ehh, I'll probably skip World's End then. That world had so much promise, and it feels like they ruined it already. I've heard Earth 2 society will be tying into Darkseid War at some point in its first arc, so I might give it a try for a few issues just because I've been waiting to see that storyline play out across Earth 2 and Justice League since the New 52 first started.

I just don't get why DC took a novelist and for their first comic book gig they threw him on a continuity heavy weekly (okay, I do know, DC editors were like "Hey, this guy writes robot apocalypse novels, let's hire him!")

• Options
    Convergence: Superman #1 was really good in my opinion. The moment his old costume was shown gave me the goosebumps. Really hope that the storyline is in superman's favor.

• Options
    So....there's spoilers around the internet about the new Mecha Batman.

It's
    Commissioner Gordon.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Oh, DC.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    I don't know. Sure why not. I mean, IT IS something new. I should probably read Zero Year huh?

• Options
    Also here's the pic. Hope this isn't a problem with mods.
    vosz4ujj1e00.jpg

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Also here's the pic. Hope this isn't a problem with mods.
    vosz4ujj1e00.jpg

You know, looking at that, my first question isn't even why he's in giant robot Batman suit, but why he looks that way. Because that doesn't look like him at all.

EDIT: Also, that suit, while ...alright, doesn't appear to have enough room to fit a human in it.
    Is Commissioner Gordon a severed head now? I guess I could see that happening.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Gordon is the new Chief.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ...That suit is larger than the human being standing next to it? I'm pretty sure he's not a head.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2015
    I mentioned this in the SE thread, but I recently read The Killing Joke for the first time (long story short, I grew up in an area without a comic shop, so I'm playing catch up on most major characters). Gross is basically the best way to describe the book. I did find the violence to be a bit much, but that's more my personal preference and I wouldn't hold that against it. The part that bothered me was the stripping of her for photography to show her father. That to me was sexual assault and completely pulled me out of the book.

Had they left her clothes on, they would have revealed to him his daughter was brutally attacked and I would have felt upset or angry and as a parent I would have put myself in his shoes. As they show Joker pull at her shirt earlier and then insist on naked photos, I instead felt grossed out and questioned why it was necessary at all and why the author needed to go to that level. It completely pulled me out of the scene and reduced the effectiveness of the story being told. Also, I'm pretty sure if Gordon had a son, there wouldn't have been wiener pics on the wall.

Maybe I misunderstood the intentions of those images, but for me it was enough that I probably won't re-read and certainly left me confused on why it is so highly regarded to the point that people want to draw tributes to it. I'm glad they see that it doesn't fit the atmosphere of the current run.

I realize I'm insanely late to the party here, but I've been reading Batman stuff since I was old enough to read (1984), and I've never really liked The Killing Joke much. If at all. I think part of my issue with it is that Joker, in my mind, while being an incredibly cruel and sadistic dude, never needed to resort to sexual violence to get his jollies. He always came up with more creative ways of fucking with people...that was part of the character's charm. I've always felt like the book went to the lowest common denominator, which has never been Joker's M.O.

I should also add that, as far as the Batgirl cover goes, I don't personally have a problem with it. I see both sides, I understand both sides, but in my own personal opinion, it's an homage and nothing more. That doesn't invalidate either argument in my eyes, though. Maybe that makes me part of the problem, I dunno.

cr0w on
  • Options
    Regarding the person in the suit:
    I too don't get why Gordon is now military guy, even shaving the 'stache.

I can buy him being a RoboCop because the city needs a Batman, just not in that super animeish mecha way. But you get too refined it loos more like IronBatman

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    ...That suit is larger than the human being standing next to it? I'm pretty sure he's not a head.

Well, yeah, but look at the legs, and the torso. If that's an armored suit, and the human being next to it is for comparison, I mean...what is he, eight feet tall? There isn't enough room in those legs to hide human legs, they're much too long and narrow. It's not a huge problem for me, or anything, but once you start trying to figure out how it all comes together, it kinda doesn't work. But I suppose that's comics in a nutshell.

• Options
    The proportions are all wrong. The bunnysuit's elbows and knees would be about where his forearms and shins should be.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    If he puts on a few pounds, they're going to have to find a heck of a mecha-tailor to let the suit out a few inches.

• Options
    You know...after those spoilers I REALLY want to read Superman/Batman.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So I read a preview for convergence: Supergirl that's coming out this week. So... She's a blob of "stuff" that thinks she is supergirl??? And everyone in the story is like whatever?

Seems pretty weird.

Armoroc on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    So I read a preview for convergence: Supergirl that's coming out this week. So... She's a blob of "stuff" that thinks she is supergirl??? And everyone in the story is like whatever?

Seems pretty weird.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In an alternate reality (a "Pocket Universe") three Kryptonian criminals (General Zod, Faora and Quex-Ul) escaped the Phantom Zone, and tried to take over that reality's Earth. There was no Superman in this reality (his younger self, Superboy, having died before the criminals' escape) but there was a Lex Luthor who hadn't turned evil. Using an artificial life-form called the "protoplasmic matrix", Lex created a red-headed woman, Matrix, who resembled his true love, the deceased alternate-reality Lana Lang. Matrix possessed all of Lana's memories, due to Lana's synaptic pathways being copied into Matrix. Lex had also patterned her physiology to resemble Superman's, whom he had seen by using one of his many inventions to look into the mainstream universe.

Like Superman, Matrix was superhumanly strong and fast, and could fly, but she also had the powers of shapeshifting, telekinesis, and cloaking (including invisibility). Matrix wore a version of Superman's uniform, shapeshifted into a young blonde woman, and fought the three criminals as Supergirl. However, her powers were no match for theirs. Desperate, Lex sent Matrix into the mainstream universe to recruit Superman. Her efforts were successful, and Superman did aid in stopping the Kryptonian criminals, but the alternate Earth had been ruined, and was now lifeless. Superman took the orphaned Matrix back to the mainstream DC Universe with him, where she served as the Post-Crisis world's first in-continuity Supergirl.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »

Seems pretty weird.

Matrix is back?