As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    The superman preview was fine but if the actual book is gonna be like that then I don't know. I guess I'll just stay with action comics moving forward and having superman embrace his new status quo.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Thoughts on Black Canary anybody? Probably gonna grab We Are Robin today.

It's great! Scroll up a few posts, I talked about it a bit earlier on this page. I felt a bit lost because I wasn't reading Batgirl, but I liked it a lot and plan on continuing to read it.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Green Lantern #42: The best part is Hal's banter with his spaceship, but that's not enough to keep me reading Hal Jordan. Peace be with you, book.
    woXHavV.jpg

Omega Men #2: A bit too gritty, but it turned out better than I expected.
    Definitely a Kyle Rayner book, sort of a GL Heart of Darkness.
    a0EMKSl.jpg

Action Comics #42: Superman vs. Police Brutality. There's really no other way to put this issue. Pak is writing the fuck out of this book. Link

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    Omega Men is definitely a
    stealth Kyle Rayner book. #2 seems to be pretty clear on the intent. The last page gave me chills.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Pak's Superman is the best Superman since Morrison's Superman.

Some writers write the powers or write events. Pak writes the character.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Pak's Superman swears a bit too much for me (read:at all) but otherwise is fantastic

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    They should have paired JR Jr. with Pak; not that Aaron Kuder isn't a good artist, but Pak is such a better writer than Gene Luen Yang that it's pretty disappointing to have Romita wasted on his first DC gig

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Noooooope

Kuder's art is (mostly) great, JRjr's is terrible

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    jrjr's art looks really good and kinetic and shit but then he draws a face and half the time it looks kind of okay and the other half of the time it looks like something you'd see a bored kid doodling in english class

I've been avoiding the forums for the last week because I've been recovering from surgery and unable to pick up my books, but I had to come back for this:

What is DC thinking?

Eight new titles, 6 of which are by creators from the 70s and 80s, most of whom are returning to characters they originally created which I guess is sort of cool but probably won't sell at all. Of the other two, one is a metamorpho book being done entirely by Aaron Lopresti who I'm not sure has ever written anything before, and then the last one is a Poison Ivy title by a recent vertigo writer named Amy Chu, which seems like the only book that really furthers the cause of increased diversity and actual new takes on characters. I can't imagine any of these being big sellers, though, so I'm kind of lost on why DC would do this to begin with.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Damn, hope you get better @HadjiQuest .

Also, I agree with you. I seriously think there won't be DC comics in 10 years at this rate.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't get the logic.

The diversity thing isn't a big deal, DC's been doing good recently, but these are titles and characters that just seem to have no pull to begin with, especially when it comes to the reboot. Plus, the writers of the old character versions are now tasked with the new characters, which just seems like a confusing waste.

I'd love to just see one solid team in place on a book outside of Batman and Harley Quinn before you try and lift up the Metal Men.

Also, I agree with you. I seriously think there won't be DC comics in 10 years at this rate.

Thanks! And yep!
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't get the logic.

The diversity thing isn't a big deal, DC's been doing good recently, but these are titles and characters that just seem to have no pull to begin with, especially when it comes to the reboot. Plus, the writers of the old character versions are now tasked with the new characters, which just seems like a confusing waste.

I'd love to just see one solid team in place on a book outside of Batman and Harley Quinn before you try and lift up the Metal Men.

I'm excited to see the sales numbers when they come out next week, but yeah, Harley, Batman, and I'd argue Justice League are the three books that blend some level of creative talent with some level of sales success.

Pak's books, especially Action Comics, have been great, but they've been lower on the sales charts. I'm not sure how the Superman title will react to the new writer and new story, especially when JRjr's art and his actual writing in issue 40 may have scared some more casual fans away. I also have to say that I haven't been feeling Tomasi on Superman/Wonder Woman either, which is disappointing because he's a huge talent that DC is really awkwardly not using well enough. It's obvious that they can't attract outside or new talent anymore, but DC's big new problem is that their line is so low-quality and has such a poor reputation that they can't really build talent either. Manapul was the last person to really rise from unknown to superstar while at DC, and I worry that dudes like Tomasi or Aaron Kuder with either stagnate at the company or bolt at the earliest opportunity.

The whole thing just sounds toxic.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Thanks! And yep!
    I don't get the logic.

I'm excited to see the sales numbers when they come out next week, but yeah, Harley, Batman, and I'd argue Justice League are the three books that blend some level of creative talent with some level of sales success.

Pak's books, especially Action Comics, have been great, but they've been lower on the sales charts. I'm not sure how the Superman title will react to the new writer and new story, especially when JRjr's art and his actual writing in issue 40 may have scared some more casual fans away. I also have to say that I haven't been feeling Tomasi on Superman/Wonder Woman either, which is disappointing because he's a huge talent that DC is really awkwardly not using well enough. It's obvious that they can't attract outside or new talent anymore, but DC's big new problem is that their line is so low-quality and has such a poor reputation that they can't really build talent either. Manapul was the last person to really rise from unknown to superstar while at DC, and I worry that dudes like Tomasi or Aaron Kuder with either stagnate at the company or bolt at the earliest opportunity.

The whole thing just sounds toxic.

Actually, a lot of fans like JRjr's art, love his art or not he's still a widely known A-list artist that still moves books into the top 50. He's definitely been banking money for DC with his Superman run. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's such a prolific artist from his decades of Marvel work. I think he draws a lot of faces the same and definitely isn't the best artist out there, but you can't deny he's had an impact in comics all the way back to his 80s work. A lot of fans are buying his Superman comics just because it's JRjr doing DC work.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    I'm a member of the "JRjr's art is terrible" club. Hoping he moves on from Superman soon.

I actually like JRjr's art, but they let him write the last issue of Superman before Convergence on his own and it was a wreck, and I've noticed anecdotally that a lot of new and casual readers can't stand his art, specifically the Superman stuff which has some pretty grounded contexts that don't really fit his overall style. Basically, he may draw long time readers, but Johns was also part of the draw when the book was a top seller, so we'll see how Superman shakes out in the Divergence era.

Jeff Parker and Travel Foreman doing Justice League Unlimited in the Justice League United book sounded really rad, but I found the first issue to be kind of flat and confusing (plus I don't really care for the supernatural/elemental team in this arc).

I also checked in on Hitch's Justice League America again, and it was fine until about halfway through the issue when he totally lost his grip on all the characters. I like the tools he's using in terms of plot, and his art was much better and more consistent this issue, but I don't know if I'm ready to roll with this. I'd have bailed after issue 1 if I didn't love the Big 7 League so much.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Vertigo announced twelve new titles today.

Slash & Burn and Sheriff of Baghdad sound interesting (I'm on a big crime comics kick lately), not sure what to make of the rest.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, and I thought I'd toss in my two cents:

Batman was okay, I'm still not really sure how I feel about Gordon-as-Batman (I think a lot of that hinges on the next Batgirl issue), but the car thing was great. I'm loving the little glimpses of
    Bruce's life now, assuming that that is Bruce. I really like the idea of the Joker and Batman "dying" and Bruce Wayne just going off to be the gopher at his girlfriend's charity for kids

Gotham Academy was really weird and I'm wondering if I missed an issue somewhere or something.
    Did we see Olive's mom die during the series? I was under the impression she was alive and in Arkham.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    So I might be alone in thinking this, but Aquaman has been probably one of the more consistently interesting books of the New 52 even throughout the writing changes. With Cullen Bunn on it now I'm excited to see what he does with him. So with that, what are some good pre-New 52 stories or runs on Aquaman worth reading?

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
    edited July 2015
    mrmr wrote: »
    So I might be alone in thinking this, but Aquaman has been probably one of the more consistently interesting books of the New 52 even throughout the writing changes. With Cullen Bunn on it now I'm excited to see what he does with him. So with that, what are some good pre-New 52 stories or runs on Aquaman worth reading?

I've heard Peter David's entire run is excellent, but unfortunately I haven't actually read any old aquaman.

I'm going to drop this link to Comic Alliance's recommendations, and I'm going to hope that someone else here has some more first hand knowledge for you.

Edit: I'm also going to note that within the last 2-3 weeks, the Subdiego story mentioned in that Comics Alliance article just got reprinted in trade.

HadjiQuest on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    mrmr wrote: »

Yeah. I've been reading it since the start of the New 52 and it's been anywhere from Solid to Great.

edited July 2015
    Final October Solicits.

Prez is now 6 issues instead of 12, and it sounds like they didn't inform the writer ahead of time. That book was really special, I'm pretty angry that they're not even letting it tell its complete story.

Edit: Pete Tomasi is taking over Detective Comics! Woo!

Edit 2: Mark Russell, the writer of Prez, says they're just going to do 2 six-issue volumes instead.

HadjiQuest on
    A Superman: Lois & Clark series about the trio from Convergence? Sold.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    What?! And Dan Jurgens on board...oh God...dammit DC why do you mine my nostalgia....I'm in!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    SIN_Cv16_variant_CORRECTED.jpg?1436899359

Ill admit, clever use of grumpy cat

Superman/WW #19 was fine but it was padded, I guess so Tomasi doesn't reveal what happened to Clark before the main book does. There's some skinny guy with a mole I guess I should know but who knows.

The colorist deserves massive props because they sell a weakened Superman being messed up by super dooper Deadshot bullets, so the bullets don't actually pierce the skin but they're still shown to do some bruising damage with purple all around his body that parlays into a nice conversation between Clark and Diana which might not matter because we were already spoiled about what happens (I guess).

Darkseid War is continues to look like it's going to be Johns's second best event after Sinestro Corps Wars.

I have to say, as a DC reader, I feel like Divergence both flopped and worked at the same time. A lot of the line is continuing to struggle, but I'm having more fun than I expected with some of the new stuff, and books like Action, Batman, and JL that were already good before the relaunch feel completely re-energized.

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I would have loved it if they had the chair reveal the joker's true identity to be some complete non-sequitur. Like, the president of some random European country.

And then just never explain it

But it's canon forever

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I've only been buying Batman since the new 52 started, but all the Joker talk demanded I flip through Justice League at the store. The last page was great, but the Next Issue box had me dying. It's finally official!

Wait, what's going on with the Joker?

edited July 2015
    Wait, what's going on with the Joker?
    In Justice League 42, Metreon refuses to help the Justice League stop the Darkseid War, so Wonder Woman hits him with the lasso to try to get info from him. Metreon says he still won't give them info because it's technically the chair and not him that knows the answers. So Diana uses the lasso to pull him from the chair, and Batman beats the rest of the League to sit in it.

To test the chair and make sure Metreon wasn't lying, he asks it to tell him who killed his parents. Then he asks the chair for the Joker's real name, and it tells him, but not the reader, and Batman says "That's Impossible!"

That's all we get.

Then this happens:
    batmannewgod-144509.jpg

HadjiQuest on
    That's interesting enough without cementing it and giving enough wiggle room.

it points to Joker killing his parents ala Burton's movie, but could also be a way to make someone he knew be the Joker.

I thought it was just going to be a fun little joke but Johns said on twitter he's going to do at least something with it.

Some other interesting observations about JL 42:
    -It's set after Green Lantern: Godhead, making it even more difficult to tell whether it's set in the future or the past compared to the rest of the Divergence line.
    -An Apokoliptian character that very clearly died and stayed dead in all of the Earth 2 titles is randomly alive again, which suggests that Johns probably stopped paying attention to those books before James Robinson even left.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    -An Apokoliptian character that very clearly died and stayed dead in all of the Earth 2 titles is randomly alive again, which suggests that Johns probably stopped paying attention to those books before James Robinson even left.

I noticed that myself. But there's ways around it.

Blah blah, Desaad can clone stuff, blah blah, New Gods can be reborn, blah blah, Omega Beams soul transplant, etc. etc.

H9f4bVe.png
    Wow, crazy! IIRC there were rumors around the time of Final Crisis Batman was going to
    become a New God
    , wonder if that nudged Johns towards this.

oE0mva1.jpg
    It really annoys me that at least two 'one in the multiverse' characters now have a second completely different incarnation of them in this Justice League story.

edited July 2015
    It really annoys me that at least two 'one in the multiverse' characters now have a second completely different incarnation of them in this Justice League story.
    Steppenwolf and... Lashina? Mr. Miracle?

I really loved Earth 2, but I bowed out for a bit during the weekly series. That weekly was awful and it sold super poorly, so I'm not surprised if it's already being ignored just 2-3 months later. The bit from early in the book when Robinson was still there and Earth 2 was still a really high-profile title is certainly weird, though.

HadjiQuest on
    Don't blame you. Earth 2 was one of the very best books DC was putting out until that weekly.

edited July 2015
    I picked up all the single issues of Multiversity; glad Morrison is doing a sequel because they're pretty good. I'm a fan of 'one-shot' style runs DC sometimes does like with Jonah Hex, they're the best for handing to someone who never reads comics and doesn't need to know any backstory.
    Multiversity_UltraComics_23-e1427277804579.jpg

Zavian on