As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Comics]: Crisis on Infinite #Rebirths

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    There's been a lot of good in the New 52, but the Superman line hasn't been one of those (outside of Pac's Action Comics and Morrison's original Action run).

The entire Batman line has been pretty much universally good, outside of Tim Drake.
    Aquaman's been great through various writer changes since issue #1.
    Wonder Woman and Flash both started great for their first 20-25 issues, then got bad writer changes.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Superboy and Supergirl were such massive disappointments. I think I stuck until issue 6 with both of them.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I haven't read a lot of new52 Supergirl except for the Hel crossover, but from what I gather Supergirl is actually good? The only complaint I hear from fans is that the crossover messed up the character a bunch because Lobdell. And then after that it got cancelled...

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I really liked Red Lantern Supergirl.

But they bullshit *poof*'d it because she wasn't a Red in JLU. Whoops.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    sigh

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    sigh

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Least it's a fitting avatar for a good old triple post :biggrin:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    I'm going to have a complete reading order of the new 52 Superman and stop there with Rebirth for reasons I don't completely understand myself. Assuming he's actually dead by Rebirth and stays dead to let Superdad reign supreme.

I don't think I'll care, though. If he dies at the end of Tomasi's 8 issue arc... it's actually an oddly interesting storyline starting with Morrison's Action to now. The rise, good intentions, and ultimate failure of a Superman that was perhaps too human to survive.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I picked up Superman/Batman #32 because I liked Supes/WW #28 and didn't realize it's all actually connected for real and not just a page of throw away tie-in blabble, but it was again a really good comic. Superman is acting like Clark used to, none of this silly t-shirt and bluejeans stuff that's more symbolic than actually good, and the Great Ten make a worthwhile appearance here, I guess leading into the new chinese Super-Man series. I'm actually looking forward to Tomasi's Superman run with Rebirth.

edit: this splash page in the beginning actually made me smile reading a Superman comic in years (I counted on my hand!)

bamasupeman32a_zpsu423fzkn.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    My shop didn't get my copy for some reason :bigfrown: I'll have to wait for a bit. Damn... And yes! This run is really good and it's the first book I read every week since it started. I am really enjoying Tomasi's go at it and can't wait for more :)

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Superman is acting like Clark used to, none of this silly t-shirt and bluejeans stuff that's more symbolic than actually good

How
    dare
    thee

Tairu on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I picked up Earth2: Society vol 1 and Earth2 volume 5. Are these actually different series? Because I liked Earth 2 vol 5 but Earth2 Society was not that great. It kept flipping back and forth in time and making me feel like I was being lied to.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I picked up Earth2: Society vol 1 and Earth2 volume 5. Are these actually different series? Because I liked Earth 2 vol 5 but Earth2 Society was not that great. It kept flipping back and forth in time and making me feel like I was being lied to.

You are missing a good chunk of story there. 3 or 4 volumes think? Plus the Convergence event (the main story, not the tie ins) which had the Earth 2 heroes as the main cast. After Convergence, it goes in to the current run of Earth 2: Society.

I'm reading Society too, but I have fallen so far behind on the reading :?

Armoroc on
  • Options
    Ok...a bit disappointed about the "meeting" between both Supermen.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Agreed, it was more Human Torch Superman meets real Superman. As long as they don't kill the Kents Whites dog which felt like it was going to happen.

Nice to see Scot Eaton and Dale Eaglesham pencils again, haven't seen them in a long time (they should always have work always always)

• Options
    Yeah if anything, I'm super disappointed that this issue was the final 52. It wasn't BAD but to think this was the journey from Action #1 to here well...at any rate I guess I'm picking up Superman/Wonder Woman next week.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    http://darwyncooke.ca/

Sad news that Darwyn Cooke has entered palliative care for his cancer.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    RIP Darwyn Cooke

• Options
    Man...fuck cancer.

• Options
    DC unveiled a new logo today:

b14o2yjgmn5l.jpg

Much better than their current one, still not as great as the old bullet logo, but the block letterstyle works here. Looks like they're trying to pull from every logo except the page fold tear drop whatever.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I don't hate this logo or anything, it's not offensive, but I feel like it's kind of bland. I suppose one man's "bland" could be another one's "minimalist", and minimalism can be a super-powerful aesthetic choice. I guess i just feel like if you go for minimalism, the elements that are there need to be powerful and memorable. I'm not sure that this is that.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    It's not even minimalist. It's just a weird mix of curves and edges and angles that don't match, so it comes off a little asymmetrical, unbalanced, and...undynamic. I know it's supposed to be evocative of Superman's "S"-shield and Wonder Woman's "W" chestplate and whatnot, but it looks like the C is trying to be a G and maybe even suggesting an H with the negative space.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Yeah, that C is a bit of a crime.

• Options
    I see a face in it now and I can't unsee it, like the FedEx arrow. It's someone with a mask on their face and the nose is the two lower angles of the D & C.

Anyways, Superman/WW #29 was ok, more filler, Supergirl is on the cover but is only in two pages, and the big conclusion is in Superman, of course. But there were some nice moments, basically ourClark setting up his new fortress on this world and Batman being a dick to Lois (who deserved it really). Plus I really liked the art of Jorge Jiminez, it's like Patrick Gleason's art mixed with Duncan Rouleau (where has that guy been he needs to draw stuff again).

• Options
    I finally caught up to this week's issue and it's still good! There are some places where it drags on a bit though, but overall it's been a cool story.

The reason I fell behind was because of Batman/Superman 32. My shop never got the order in apparently? It seems most shops got bought out or something and others quickly pulled them off shelves to sell for bigger $$$... and the reason?... the new Chinese Superman is revealed in that issue. What?!? Really?? I got fed up waiting for my shop to not get me a copy for the past two weeks and found another place who was hiding their issues behind the counter. It seems this issue #32 is going for triple the price online. The guy working there was nice enough to sell me a copy for double the price on the down low when the manager left (gee... thanks) and after reading it... I don't get the "hype". Chinese Superman was there for 2 pages or so and did not do much.

Why did I get cheated out of my copy unnecessarily for it to be tripled in price for an unmemorable first appearance like that? Makes me want to go digital again.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The top of the C on that logo looks like a hammer. Which makes me think of a non-DC hero.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    @Armoroc The collector's mindset never really went away.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The top of the C on that logo looks like a hammer. Which makes me think of a non-DC hero.

Steel?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Steel?
    mchammerpic.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    DC unveiled a new logo today:

b14o2yjgmn5l.jpg

Much better than their current one, still not as great as the old bullet logo, but the block letterstyle works here. Looks like they're trying to pull from every logo except the page fold tear drop whatever.

I liked this logo for exactly ten seconds, but man, that C is really ruining my good time.

It's still light years better than every DC Logo they've cooked up since the one that they did in 1976.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    DC_Comics_Logo_History.jpg

Yeaaah...

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    So, who wants a big spoiler for Rebirth?
    nCqFMlW.jpg

Explanation
    Apparently the Nu52/Flashpoint universe is Manhattan fucking around with making a universe, so that's why everything's been so dark and gritty.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WHAT!?!?

• Options
    So wait.
    Is Multiversity and Morrision's concept of Multiverses/DC Cosmology thrown out now?

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I have no idea.

edit: There's other leaked comic pages/info out there though, so maybe that might answer the question.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Jesus the entire comic has been leaked. Even IGN and Comicvine have summaries. I'm picking it up...because those last few pages holy shit. Kudos DC, I'm interested about Rebirth.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to lie, that sounds amazing.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Everything on Bleeding Cool (they put up new pages) makes it come across like a 75% mea culpa, which is refreshing these days. It seems like with acknowledging it they're going to put some things back as best they can, but at least with the reveal it allows a greater return of the good old days.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Even the weird Batman reveal:
    three Jokers?!

I can dig it. Now that I think about it (spoilers about Superman/new 52):
    if they're implying that nu52 is just the preFlashpoint DCU...why was there a new Superman? Shouldn't that mean that our old Clark Kent should've always been Superman? Oh whatever, I'm down for this weird ride.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    So, who wants a big spoiler for Rebirth?
    nCqFMlW.jpg

Explanation
    Apparently the Nu52/Flashpoint universe is Manhattan fucking around with making a universe, so that's why everything's been so dark and gritty.

So...
    Manhattan got past the "Create life." thing that he said at the end of Watchmen and leveled up to universe creation? Which will bring me to a bunch of questions that I can't type in right now cause I'm at work.