As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[House of Cards] We don't submit to terror.

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
TU1DlK8.png?1

Hey y'all season two is starting in about six hours.

Season one is free for all. Spoiler season two stuff. Let people know what episode you're talking about and all that.

Here's the silliest thing I could find in relation to the show. It's still kind of upsetting.

pLK3vHb.png?1

So excite.

Quid on

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    This is going to be a hard show to talk about, given that everyone is going to be watching the season at their own pace, but it's cool there's a thread for it.

Captain Tragedy on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah. I thought about maybe trying some rules for pacing the viewings even but given the three day weekend I'm pretty sure everyone who watched last season is burning through it.

On last season:

I only vaguely remember the reporter stuff. I remember Zoe well enough but their concerns seemed tenuous at best.

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    My brother and I watched season 1 a while back. My wife had started watching it with us at the beginning, but tapped out about half-way through in part because she thought it was fairly dark and wasn't enjoying it because of that. I didn't particularly agree with her, but then we finished the season and I realized it was probably for the best considering where the show went in the last couple of episodes.

Pretty stoked for this next season, it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    if this is like Arrested Development was, it'll be up at 3:00 AM EST so 12:00 AM PST

or edt I'm not sure what we're in

point being I will probably stay up and watch ep 1 before turning in because I have class in the morning. very excited.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Quid wrote: »
    On last season:

I only vaguely remember the reporter stuff. I remember Zoe well enough but their concerns seemed tenuous at best.

It's been awhile since I saw S1 (I probably need a refresher), but I seem to remember them by the end of the season the reporters were slowly closing in on something being very sketchy about Underwood and his team (like, besides what Zoe was in on).

I too remember Zoe well enough, because...Kate Mara.

Captain Tragedy on
    Variable wrote: »
    if this is like Arrested Development was, it'll be up at 3:00 AM EST so 12:00 AM PST

point being I will probably stay up and watch ep 1 before turning in because I have class in the morning. very excited.

The countdown says midnight eastern.

So I'll have gone to sleep barring advanced notice of another snow day.

On last season:

It's been awhile since I saw S1 (I probably need a refresher), but I seem to remember them by the end of the season the reporters were slowly closing in on something being very sketchy about Underwood and his team (like, besides what Zoe was in on).

I too remember Zoe well enough, because...Kate Mara.

I know they were closing in on it. I just remember the reasoning for it being kinda sketchy. Like they were reaching.

Variable wrote: »

The countdown says midnight eastern.

So I'll have gone to sleep barring advanced notice of another snow day.

oh nice I didn't look. thanks!

• SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh House of Cards, thank you for being my date this valentine's <3

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Something eluded me when I was watching the first half of season one and I'm hoping someone can tell me
    Why exactly did Claire have to fire half her staff at Clear Water? What was the reasoning behind that?

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    I think Season 1 stuff is fair game to not spoiler...

Clear Water was expecting a big donation from SanCorp and had made plans to utilize it. When Frank didn't get the Secretary job, SanCorp backed out, leaving them without the money. Rather than cancel her plans, though, Claire decided to fire a bunch of people in order to be able to afford the fancy new programs.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Phew, 2 more episodes to go to refresh what I watched a year ago.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Something eluded me when I was watching the first half of season one and I'm hoping someone can tell me
    Why exactly did Claire have to fire half her staff at Clear Water? What was the reasoning behind that?
    Donation didn't come through from Sandcorp, I believe.

Characters
  • shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    Gonna watch as much of this as I can before I have to head into work tomorrow. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised how they managed to keep "politics" out of this show. It's more maneuvering for power in the king's court than political drama, and I find it a nice break from the day to day political "news" I get beat over the head with.

Plus I can watch Kevin Spacey order chinese food and it'll be interesting.

• Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Gonna watch as much of this as I can before I have to head into work tomorrow. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised how they managed to keep "politics" out of this show. It's more maneuvering for power in the king's court than political drama, and I find it a nice break from the day to day political "news" I get beat over the head with.
    I dunno, I thought it was just shoveling the usual media line that centrist = good/true/nonpolitical whereas any other political opinion is bad/false/partisan. Like in one of the early episodes it seems to me a major scandal that the secretary of education has leftist opinions about education, even though the democrats seem to control both the white house and congress.

Pi-r8 wrote: »
    I dunno, I thought it was just shoveling the usual media line that centrist = good/true/nonpolitical whereas any other political opinion is bad/false/partisan. Like in one of the early episodes it seems to me a major scandal that the secretary of education has leftist opinions about education, even though the democrats seem to control both the white house and congress.
    I guess to me it seemed not so much that having leftist opinions about education were bad, it was that he was so far out on the edge (for the purposes of the show) that it was not useful politically. And aside from that, I didn't notice much about politics, just power plays. I find that much more interesting.

• Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I guess to me it seemed not so much that having leftist opinions about education were bad, it was that he was so far out on the edge (for the purposes of the show) that it was not useful politically. And aside from that, I didn't notice much about politics, just power plays. I find that much more interesting.

Yeah, that's fair. I agree that the power plays are way more interesting that regular politics. But I still think that whenever they go into actual politics (which they have to, to set the scene for the show) they take the conventional wisdom line that anything outside of the center is automatically bad, and that always bugs me.

Admittedly a lot of politicians also seem to think like that, so maybe it's not unrealistic.

Pi-r8 on
    I guess to me it seemed not so much that having leftist opinions were bad, it was that

Yeah, that's fair. I agree that the power plays are way more interesting that regular politics. But I still think that whenever they go into actual politics (which they have to, to set the scene for the show) they take the conventional wisdom line that anything outside of the center is automatically bad, and that always bugs me.

Admittedly a lot of politicians also seem to think like that, so maybe it's not unrealistic.

Yeah, they're trying to appeal to the widest possible audience, just like most politicians will. As soon as you stake out a position, you start losing people from somewhere. Either way, I'm off work, getting mah fast food fix and gonna start watching! Here we go!

it's the first episode, and it's not that left is bad it's that he's farther left than what the newly elected president ran as.

mere moments away!

Holeeeeee shiiiiiiiit! Well, they're starting off running!

Robin Wright is...terrifying.

Characters
    Well.

Shit.

Characters
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    holy

fucking

what.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    D:

Slight episode one spoilers:
    I hadn't noticed Francis hadn't broken the fourth wall yet. When he finally did it was creepy as Hell.

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Opening the second season of a really good show is tricky

But I don't think I have ever had such a visceral reaction to a television show before. They really stuck the landing on this one.
    Get it? Like a subway landing. JOKES
    D:

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    S2E1 not even all the fucking way through the episode yet
    Finish your thought. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I wonder if Netflix can track how many times people rewind a 10 second stretch to watch it over and over again.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Finish your thought. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I wonder if Netflix can track how many times people rewind a 10 second stretch to watch it over and over again.

We probably can. I've never looked at those tables.

Nothing. Matters.
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I totally forgot this was coming out today.

SCREW YOU VALENTINES DAY I'M GONNA WATCH NETFLIX ALL EVENING

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »

We probably can. I've never looked at those tables.

By your context I am guessing you work at Netflix? Can you check? You'll see maybe a dozen repeats from my account =)

Through episode 3.
    Suck it Tea Party!

I thought for sure Lucas was getting set up by the FBI. He still might be but it's looking less and less likely which is kind of annoying. I'm still holding out hope that he's going to get strung along for the rest of the season or something like that.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Yeah, they're trying to appeal to the widest possible audience, just like most politicians will. As soon as you stake out a position, you start losing people from somewhere.

Not to be nitpicky but they did pick a position, the centrist one.

Yeah, they're trying to appeal to the widest possible audience, just like most politicians will. As soon as you stake out a position, you start losing people from somewhere.

Not to be nitpicky but they did pick a position, the centrist one.

I think you're talking about the education position in the show, and yeah they did. I should have added that the centrist position is more likely to lose the least amount of people. So it makes sense for Frank to go that route. I don't get the feeling he has convictions one way or another about any of the policy stuff he's supposedly involved in, all he cares about is climbing the ladder.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, this is gonna be good

Lh96QHG.png
    I think Frank must have some sort of convictions. He's too smart to just want power for no reason at all. And for all his bat shit evil he's never really been needlessly cruel or petty.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Holy shit.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    Is...

Is that a McPoyle?

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Is...

Is that a McPoyle?

If you mean Mary, yes.

I think Frank must have some sort of convictions. He's too smart to just want power for no reason at all. And for all his bat shit evil he's never really been needlessly cruel or petty.

I'm not sure what they are then. Everyone around him is a tool except for Claire, and even then he's got no problem telling her to drop what she's invested in to help him (which he sees as helping them both)

• EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I just made it through episode one.
    HOLY SHIT. Jesus fucking christ, holy shit.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant