As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Japanese coins

mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I went to japan a few years ago and I have about 50 dollars in Japanese coins. What can I do with these? I can't change them because the banks don't accept coins. I can't justify just throwing them away. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them :) thanks

mooshoepork on

• Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I went to japan a few years ago and I have about 50 dollars in Japanese coins. What can I do with these? I can't change them because the banks don't accept coins. I can't justify just throwing them away. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them :) thanks

1. sale on ebay
    2. sale to coin collector
    3. keep for a keep sake
    4. keep and give to your grand children along with a long story about how you went to japan when you where their age.
    5. Give them to me.

Rhino on
    93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Neither 1 nor 2 are actually worth the effort of attempting, since unless by 'a few years ago' you mean 'the 1920s,' they're only slightly more difficult to get a hold of than US quarters. Your best bet is to just hang onto them until you, or someone you know, goes to Japan.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    AceedAceed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Or go to your nearest airport and do a currency exchange.

Aceed on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Blah I say, blah. Airports are an absolutely sucktastic place to change money. It's why whenever I fly to the states, I don't bother changing my money on either end. When I went through San Francisco a couple weeks ago, they were giving you 94 yen for a dollar, while the actual exchange rate was about 120 yen to a dollar.

To the OP: if you really want to turn your yens back into cashes, give an airport a shot the next time you go through. It's not the best way to go, but it beats never switching it back at all.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    About 50 USD in coins or about 50 yen?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    50 AUS so about 40 USD.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Find one of those charities that collect loose foreign change from passengers on aeroplanes and see if they'll take them. Presumably the gather that stuff up in a large enough bulk that they will be able to convert it for a reasonable rate.

Or box them up and mail them to an orphanage in Japan or something.

What I'm saying is, you'll probably get a better rate of exchange cashing them in for good karma than for AUD.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You don't have any of those little currency exchange stores in Australia?

I like that suggestion of shipping them off to a charity.

Could sell them off on criagslist.com as well. Easier then e-bay

crake on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    5 yen coins are like lucky pennies. Give them to people for holidays.

DarkPrimus on