As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Danganronpa] Zero Escape + Dating Sim + Phoenix Wright + Rhythm Game = MURDER AND DESPAIR

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Edit: uh, I guess this is kind of a spoiler of what you're talking about not having seen yet.
    Bonus: you get to listen to the music there again.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah but the terrible things that happen sort of outweigh getting to hear music

• Options
    Impossible, because the music is the best.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Once I got to that point I just laughed with "OH LOL, HERE IS THE OBVIOUS BAD ENDING CHOICE". I have to do it later once I go back to do the games trophies, but it was hilarious how obviously the game telegraphed that choice and what it meant. Minding, I did half think that making the other choice wouldn't result in anything anyway.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I bet you'd have a distinct opinion of its implications.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I got the bad ending.
    That was pretty messed up. Toko is dead and Hina is covered in babies, each from a different father. How come this hasn't popped up in events or anything for unlockables?

I'm missing one more thing in the extra. It is under movies, it is the very last entry. Anyone know what that one is?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I believe that's the last bonus scene. You unlock it by
    Getting an item (Escape Remote) from the Monokuma store which is only available after beating the game. Then, in chapter 1, examine the huge door blocking the exit to the school

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I got the bad ending.
    That was pretty messed up. Toko is dead and Hina is covered in babies, each from a different father. How come this hasn't popped up in events or anything for unlockables?

I'm missing one more thing in the extra. It is under movies, it is the very last entry. Anyone know what that one is?
    Well, Technically, Byakyua's kid could be Toko's. Maybe. ahahaha. But, to be fair, that whole bad ending is just a fabrication of Makoto's head. Hina having a kid from both Makoto and Hiro probably came from Hiro's "predictions" when you hang out with him. *laughs*. [/spoilers]

sig.gif
  • Options
    I believe that's the last bonus scene. You unlock it by
    Getting an item (Escape Remote) from the Monokuma store which is only available after beating the game. Then, in chapter 1, examine the huge door blocking the exit to the school

Actually, you don't have to examine the door. After getting the item, The video just shows up in your video list.
    It's a bit underwhelming.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Once I got to that point I just laughed with "OH LOL, HERE IS THE OBVIOUS BAD ENDING CHOICE". I have to do it later once I go back to do the games trophies, but it was hilarious how obviously the game telegraphed that choice and what it meant. Minding, I did half think that making the other choice wouldn't result in anything anyway.
    I made the wrong choice the first time. Apparently because I play too many Phoenix Wright games, where the TRUTH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING (and you can fix it later in the follow up!)

sig.gif
  • Options
    I figured it'd lead to a bad ending so I took it first.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    So I got the bad ending.

Well, Technically, Byakyua's kid could be Toko's. Maybe. ahahaha. But, to be fair, that whole bad ending is just a fabrication of Makoto's head. Hina having a kid from both Makoto and Hiro probably came from Hiro's "predictions" when you hang out with him. *laughs*. [/spoilers]
    When I saw that photo, for some reason I always laughed at how... happy... Byakyua looks with the memorial photo.

Like he's glad that the crazy lady has finally stopped bugging him.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Lovely wrote: »
    So I got the bad ending.

When I saw that photo, for some reason I always laughed at how... happy... Byakyua looks with the memorial photo.

Like he's glad that the crazy lady has finally stopped bugging him.
    He looks so relaxed too XD . As if a great weight has been lifted from his shoulders. Yeah, it cracked me up too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I had sort of a different experience. When that choice came up, I figured that this wasn't the same genre as Phoenix Wright even if the gameplay mechanics were similar, and so I thought that making the choice which would (ultimately) prove incorrect would be the bad one. I was right, but once
    Monokuma initiates the punishment for Makoto

I started second-guessing myself a bit. At that point I figured
    Makoto was going to die, and that I would take over controlling Kyoko, or (less likely) that this was actually the bad end and I had chosen incorrectly.

I was pretty freaked out before the thing that happened actually happened.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Got to Chapter 6's reveal. Can't say I saw it coming, but some facets of it made me think of VLR.

(VLR & DR spoilers)
    The whole 'you're trapped inside because outside is even worse' thing. But this predated VLR, right?

I do hope they EXPLAIN the ultimate tragedy shtick.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Yeah, timeline of releases has 999 earlier than Danganronpa earlier than VLR.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Got to Chapter 6's reveal. Can't say I saw it coming, but some facets of it made me think of VLR.

(VLR & DR spoilers)
    The whole 'you're trapped inside because outside is even worse' thing. But this predated VLR, right?

I do hope they EXPLAIN the ultimate tragedy shtick.

Re: your spoiler, it is elaborated upon in Danganronpa 2.

• Options
    Platinum get. Bring on Danganronpa 2!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Finally got my Platinum!

Now I just need to finish watching the anime. It's on Funimation.com. Whee!

Is Dangan Ronpa If... translated to English?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Oh geez, I forgot there's anime. Do you know if it's just DR1 or DR1+2 or what? I'd rather not mess up my DR2 experience, if I can avoid it.

• Options
    bss wrote: »
    Oh geez, I forgot there's anime. Do you know if it's just DR1 or DR1+2 or what? I'd rather not mess up my DR2 experience, if I can avoid it.

It only covers the events of DR1. I had the same concern.

I have no idea if it has any call-forwards but I doubt it.

• Options
    One complaint that has been leveled at the animated version is it literally takes the punishments straight from the game. Except some of them were censored, like the first one.

• Options
    Another complaint is that it's terrible.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I watched a few episodes but wasn't really getting much out of it. Aw well, not a big deal.

• Options
    Did Mondo apologize to Makoto for punching him in the face, in the game? He apologizes in the anime but I don't remember that in the game.

Directed by the same guy who did Persona 4 (meh) and Devil Survivor 2 (awesome).

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing this pretty slowly - hour here and there - and I just finished Case 4.
    Aw man that was rough. Sakura was super chill. Didn't have to happen.

I also kind of think it would've been more effective without the whole "oh but wait it was a good thing she offed herself because friendship and strength!" or whatever.

But knowing this game, it'll come back and somehow torpedo that.

I also thought it was pretty funny that the game basically highfived me for getting to the half-way point.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    So I've been playing this pretty slowly - hour here and there - and I just finished Case 4.
    Aw man that was rough. Sakura was super chill. Didn't have to happen.

I also kind of think it would've been more effective without the whole "oh but wait it was a good thing she offed herself because friendship and strength!" or whatever.

But knowing this game, it'll come back and somehow torpedo that.

I also thought it was pretty funny that the game basically highfived me for getting to the half-way point.

Yeah, that kinda random "by the way, your halfway through!" thing made me crack up laughing when I was playing. I think that's the first time a game I've ever played specifically did that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Just finished this bad boy last night!
    I was kind of meh about the ending. I mean, yeah it is a logical explanation for how this frankly absurd scenario the characters are thrust into could be possible, but I'd already accepted remote control sci-fi android teddy bears as a thing that could happen. Not sure I needed the end of the damn world to justify the whole deal. But maybe that was what the game creators always wanted to build toward from the very beginning. If it were me making the game, I think when the big doors open, the world would be just as they left it on the other side and everyone would just start laughing with relief.

Would've liked to have some better elaboration of the motivations of the mastermind. Mastermind was super vague about a lot of stuff and everything after Monokuma's "unmasking" just didn't do anything for me. Did like the Mastermind's trick for hiding her identity though. When the characters started discussing it I had a very Sherlock, "Ohhh! That is clever. Is that clever? Why's that clever?" whirring of ideas going on, which is my favorite moment in these cases. When the game is afoot and you know you're on to the murderer. Great game, despite my grumbling.

Hey, also something I noticed that I wondered was an artifact of the localization or just a quirk of the script:
    Sometimes when Genocide Jack is talking it says "Genocide Jack" and other times it says "Genocide Jill". I remember one character remarking that maybe Genocide Jill was more accurate after that reveal happened in Chapter 2, but noticed it went back a forth a few times throughout the rest of the game. Do you guys think there's a reason for that or is it just a quirk of the localization/original script?

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    carmofin wrote: »
    By the way, gotto say the voicing of this is pretty solid. Not once did I wish I had started in japanese, which is some achievement.

This was a while ago, but (and I admit I haven't heard it in English--I should head over to YouTube for that) having read the LP

(ending spoilers)
    I would definitely recommend listening to Junko in Japanese at the last trial. It is phenomenal. Genocider is pretty amazing too.

Monokuma is great too, but those are the two I'm gonna have to hear in English to really compare. Everyone else was competent but not standout.

edit:
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    Just finished this bad boy last night!
    I was kind of meh about the ending. I mean, yeah it is a logical explanation for how this frankly absurd scenario the characters are thrust into could be possible, but I'd already accepted remote control sci-fi android teddy bears as a thing that could happen. Not sure I needed the end of the damn world to justify the whole deal. But maybe that was what the game creators always wanted to build toward from the very beginning. If it were me making the game, I think when the big doors open, the world would be just as they left it on the other side and everyone would just start laughing with relief.

Would've liked to have some better elaboration of the motivations of the mastermind. Mastermind was super vague about a lot of stuff and everything after Monokuma's "unmasking" just didn't do anything for me. Did like the Mastermind's trick for hiding her identity though. When the characters started discussing it I had a very Sherlock, "Ohhh! That is clever. Is that clever? Why's that clever?" whirring of ideas going on, which is my favorite moment in these cases. When the game is afoot and you know you're on to the murderer. Great game, despite my grumbling.

Hey, also something I noticed that I wondered was an artifact of the localization or just a quirk of the script:
    Sometimes when Genocide Jack is talking it says "Genocide Jack" and other times it says "Genocide Jill". I remember one character remarking that maybe Genocide Jill was more accurate after that reveal happened in Chapter 2, but noticed it went back a forth a few times throughout the rest of the game. Do you guys think there's a reason for that or is it just a quirk of the localization/original script?

First spoiler:
    The ending is intentionally vague. Is the world destroyed or is that just a lie Junko was telling to fuel their despair? Who knows!

Which brings me to point two: There was no motivation. That's the whole point. Junko was part of the Despair group, the entire purpose is to make people feel despair. That's literally the only reason she's doing this. She is crazy and wants people to suffer and be sad.

Second spoiler:
    It's a localization quirk. In the original, she is "Genocider Syo," with Syo being a gender-neutral name.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Blackjack wrote: »
    By the way, gotto say the voicing of this is pretty solid. Not once did I wish I had started in japanese, which is some achievement.

This was a while ago, but (and I admit I haven't heard it in English--I should head over to YouTube for that) having read the LP

(ending spoilers)
    I would definitely recommend listening to Junko in Japanese at the last trial. It is phenomenal. Genocider is pretty amazing too.

Monokuma is great too, but those are the two I'm gonna have to hear in English to really compare. Everyone else was competent but not standout.

(Ending spoilers)
    I haven't seen the JP version, but the dub version of Junko's multiple personalities was phenomenal.

Junko FUCKING Enoshima!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    cj iwakura wrote: »

(ending spoilers)

(Ending spoilers)
    I haven't seen the JP version, but the dub version of Junko's multiple personalities was phenomenal.

Junko FUCKING Enoshima!
    Just checked out the last case, since it'd let me hear all three of the ones I mentioned. English was good -- really good -- but this is one of the few times I'm gonna have to go all GLORIOUS NIPPON and pick the Japanese acting as superior. It's not so amazingly better that not using it is a bad move, obviously, but I definitely do prefer it. Linking the Let's Play videos so you can compare.

Junko:
    http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h7Hrb-52RU

Jill:
    http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7CbmJ_8bO0

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I need to find myself a Vita for cheap so I can pick up the second game. Following the LP and there are a lot more characters I like in that one than I did in this one.

There's one in particular I really want to see how @Houk et al handle. She kinda seems like a pain to localize, even if she is my favorite of the bunch!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I need to find myself a Vita for cheap so I can pick up the second game. Following the LP and there are a lot more characters I like in that one than I did in this one.

There's one in particular I really want to see how @Houk et al handle. She kinda seems like a pain to localize, even if she is my favorite of the bunch!

I actually didn't work on the second one due to schedule conflicts, sadly. I actually don't know too much about the game's story myself, beyond some of the bigger plot points, so I'll be able to enjoy it like a normal fan!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    So should I buy this now or wait for some sort of sale?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So should I buy this now or wait for some sort of sale?

I thought it was worth the price I paid. If you're not really into VNs you could wait I guess, but why would you want to? It's fantastic.

• Options
    So uh... Danganronpa V3 anyone? New thread worthy?

https://youtu.be/JDvWEcEn6DI

It's doing away with the baggage of DR1 & 2 and starting from scratch. The protagonist is the 'Ultimate Pianist'.

https://youtu.be/d7552RUFatQ
    https://youtu.be/t9r39XLAsBk

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Looking forward to it

Hope there aren't any cringe-worthy trans characters or "avoid being groped" scenes this time

• Options
    Did you watch Danganronpa 3? Uh, don't get your hopes up.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Has V3 gotten a release date yet? Just want to go into a media blackout bubble about it until then.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    January 12th. Localization later in the year.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png