As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Danganronpa] Zero Escape + Dating Sim + Phoenix Wright + Rhythm Game = MURDER AND DESPAIR

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    January 12th. Localization later in the year.

They announced a localization. AWESOME!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yep:

dv3-3d_vita_retail-esrb-rp_1.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The next (Best?) four:

https://youtu.be/t9j7Jdm7-Z8

Ryouma Hoshi (voiced by Akio Otsuka) – Ultimate Tennis Player
    Danganronpa-V3_12-19-16_001.jpg
    He was a tennis player with a promising future who was active worldwide and won overseas tournaments, but was sentenced to death when he shot at the heads of the mafia with custom-made steel tennis balls—“Murder Tennis”—and destroyed the organization. He was imprisoned before coming to The Academy for Gifted Prisoners, and says the person who was called the “Super High School Level Tennis Player” no longer exists within him. He has a composure that doesn’t come off as that of a high school student, and his emotions are unaffected by his own injuries or if someone is killed.

Kaito Momota (voiced by Ryohei Kimura) – Ultimate Astronaut
    Danganronpa-V3_12-19-16_002.jpg
    An astronaut trainee. Since the test to become an astronaut requires a college degree, he was originally unable to take the exam, but used forged documents to take the test and became the first successful teenage applicant. Although his lie ended up being revealed, he was taken in as a trainee given his interesting talent. While he hasn’t been to space yet, he has great admiration for the universe. He has amazing energy and values dreams and romance more than anything, saying passionate things like, “Limits don’t exist unless you set a limit yourself” and “If you don’t give it your all, your dreams will just be dreams.”

Himiko Yumeno (voiced by Aimi Tanaka) – Ultimate Magician
    Danganronpa-V3_12-19-16_003.jpg
    She is the self-proclaimed “Super High School Level Magician” who insists her sleight of hand magic is magic. Although elected as the youngest among the generations of “Magicians of the Year” within “Magicians Castle,” an organization composed of the sleight of hand magic lovers of the world, she herself claims that the award is a conspiracy devised to conceal the existence of magic. As a magician who cannot be recognized as a “magician,” she laments the flood of performance requests she gets from all over the world. She is a magician (“magician”?) whose advanced techniques are in demand, but is extremely lazy. Sleight of hand? Or magic? She can guess your cards and coins, as well as unleash doves.

Angie Yonaga (voiced by Minori Suzuki) – Ultimate Artist
    Danganronpa-V3_12-19-16_004.jpg
    A deeply religious girl who believes that the “God of the Island” is always by her side. She makes paintings and sculptures, but says herself that, “Since I’m just lending my body to God, the one actually doing the creation is God.” She is a positive girl who moves at her own pace, and uses peculiar Japanese like “fushigi miracle” (miraculous miracle) and “gubbainara” (goodbye + sayounara). She also has a strange side to her—rather than show off her artwork, she seeks to offer blood as a sacrifice and speaks on behalf of god as a voice of reason.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    It's nice how you can look at the character art and immediately tell which characters have even a chance of surviving.

Also, a panty shot in concept art. Classy.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Not gonna defend that, but I'm not surprised. It's happened in the first two games.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I guess they did. I forgot all about it. Stayin' classy, then.

My friend and I currently have, based on previous games, Astronaut and Aikido surviving and ??? being the villain.

We also are hoping inventor lives because they fucking OWE US after Nanami.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Ultimate Magician better survive, that's all I care about.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I will eat my hat if she survives.

I will buy a hat solely to eat.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I will eat my hat if she survives.

I will buy a hat solely to eat.

I'll make sure it's a witch hat.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    We also have determined that Ultimate Nanny may be the most useful superpower considering how the characters in Danganronpa usually are.

Plot twist: no one ever dies because every time tensions start to rise, she just gives them a juicebox and puts them down for a nap.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    There's an Ultimate Housekeeper in DR3(the show).

It, uh... doesn't end well.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Housekeeper is maid.

The nanny is the Caregiver (who looks super boring and is totally going to die, but I like my plot twist. I would play it. Monokuma just getting angrier and angrier that his murder game is defeated by juice)

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The first game did have a few characters I would never have bet on surviving survive, so one can only wait and see.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I guess they did. I forgot all about it. Stayin' classy, then.

My friend and I currently have, based on previous games, Astronaut and Aikido surviving and ??? being the villain.

We also are hoping inventor lives because they fucking OWE US after Nanami.

Well, that depends. Does she have the largest bust of the cast. Because that girl is guaranteed to live. As are the (male) asshole and (male) comic relief.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Damn. I haven't finished (watching a letsplay of) the second game, and I was kind of impressed that the first game threw the curveballs it did wrt what you'd usually expect as the formula of truly main characters in such a story. Disappointing to learn that they just ended up establishing a different formula to slavishly stick to.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Damn. I haven't finished (watching a letsplay of) the second game, and I was kind of impressed that the first game threw the curveballs it did wrt what you'd usually expect as the formula of truly main characters in such a story. Disappointing to learn that they just ended up establishing a different formula to slavishly stick to.

Wait until you finish DR2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    There's a web game that you can win avatars and/or wallpapers from, three per day: http://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/monomono-machine/

I got two so far:
    C0PoNWTUkAEOXdZ.jpg
    C0PoNWmUcAA_-uR.jpg

Or, uh, you could get them all here, I guess.

http://imgur.com/a/DX9XC

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    I just finished the first trial of the first game. The game is definitely scratching that Phoenix Wright itch, though shouting objection at your DS like a madman was something special. I have no idea who's going to survive this or what is going on with this school.

• Options
    Having played all three and UDG, I think the first remains the best one. It easily has the best final battle.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    The first is by far the best, but each game that follows definitely finds ways to surprise you. I enjoyed all three + UDG.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I think each of the main three games is more well-made than the last, but the first is probably my personal favorite.

• Options
    Much like with Persona, I think DR would be a lot stronger without the social link crap.

Also, the Chapter 1 twist of V3 really left a bad taste in my mouth.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Much like with Persona, I think DR would be a lot stronger without the social link crap.

I'm going through V3 currently and the first chapter really put a damper on my hype playing V3.

• Options

I'm going through V3 currently and the first chapter really put a damper on my hype playing V3.

I won't lie, it stays entertaining, but it could have been so much more. The final chapter is wild, I'll give it that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I need to play the third , picked up the first two when they came out on steam and saw the anime that concluded that storyline . Man the deaths in that side hope/despair were fucking brutal. Think overall dr2 was my favorite, loved the first one but the second had a stronger cast .

• Options
    Sadly I think the cast lean too hard into the silly tropes. Maybe that's the point, but it really ruins some otherwise interesting people.

Like the entomologist in V3. He's a cool guy, but then suddenly, wacky bug shenanigans! Bugs are great you guys! Enjoy them or DIE!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Having not played v3 I’m going to just assume he can’t be more whacky then Gundam is with his pets and overlord of the underworld persona. And yeah the characters are tropes and a half but this is a series whose plot is driven by “ the biggest most awful most despair inducing event in human history” it was always going to be silly. Well at least it is when it’s not making me watch characters I like be horribly murdered.

• Options
    Having not played v3 I’m going to just assume he can’t be more whacky then Gundam is with his pets and overlord of the underworld persona. And yeah the characters are tropes and a half but this is a series whose plot is driven by “ the biggest most awful most despair inducing event in human history” it was always going to be silly. Well at least it is when it’s not making me watch characters I like be horribly murdered.

I guess, but it gets contrived when as a setting for a crime you have
    silly things like half the cast being forced to stay overnight in a room to endure bugs to be forced to like them.

It just seems like lazy writing.

Gundam I didn't mind as much, since, well
    he is an Ultimate Despair, and that makes him scary.

Could say that about all of 2's cast, really.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    As far as the second point goes spoilers for dr 2 and hope/despair anime
    when I saw the ultimate gamer in the anime after being told she was an AI in dr2 I was super confused until I realized that she must have died before she was converted to despair by Junko and I realized the anime was going to force me to watch her die. Fucking broke my heart , those scenes hurt more then anything else in the series for me . And I usually don’t care about characters dying

Also I haven’t played the new game so I haven’t run into bug dude yet.

• Options
    As far as the second point goes spoilers for dr 2 and hope/despair anime
    when I saw the ultimate gamer in the anime after being told she was an AI in dr2 I was super confused until I realized that she must have died before she was converted to despair by Junko and I realized the anime was going to force me to watch her die. Fucking broke my heart , those scenes hurt more then anything else in the series for me . And I usually don’t care about characters dying

Also I haven’t played the new game so I haven’t run into bug dude yet.

He's a cool guy, just too trope heavy, like most of V3's cast.

Kaede is genuinely great, though. I play the piano, so she struck a chord(bdmtsh) with me.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I just completed the first game
    This is pretty good
    I assume that's the end of the story for the surviving characters?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    No , they have a minor role in 2 and then the story arc for the first two games is wrapped up in an anime. The anime is on Crunchyroll so you can watch for free if you don’t mind the commercials. I would highly recommend playing 2 first as the anime alternates each episode from the cast of one post dr 1/2 to the cast of two leading up to the events of the biggest most awful most despair inducing event in human history.

@Peas

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Alright I just started playing 2, i like how they play with my expectations right at the beginning
    Seems great so far

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    The problem with DR2 is it's a bit too cute with the style and you can figure out the hook of the story almost immediately.

Having said that it is absolutely my favorite of the three, with V3 a WAY distant third despite having the strongest first trial in any of the games. As someone said there's an abundance of lazy writing in DR3 that's just hard to get over and I really didn't connect with the any of the characters. The only thing I didn't like about DR2 was the snowboarding minigame. Everything else was done really well and all the trials except for one felt really good and actually advanced the story in a meaningful way.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    3 is my least favorite as well. Turns out subverting expectations isn’t always a good thing (first trial spoilers):
    I was very excited to have a female protagonist for once

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    3 is my least favorite as well. Turns out subverting expectations isn’t always a good thing (first trial spoilers):

more early V3 spoilers

Especially since every other freaking protagonist in Japanese media is the shy and meek blank slate dude. They teased you with a Mercedes-Benz and then hand you the keys to the most basic Honda Civic.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Alright I just started playing 2, i like how they play with my expectations right at the beginning
    Seems great so far

Two is my favorite by far , there are flaws of course and I despised nagito from the word go but overall I really enjoyed it . Don’t forget to watch the anime for the end of the storyline , I’m told 3 is a reboot. Anime isn’t perfect either but it’s interesting and genuinely fucking brutal at times . I was not prepared for some of those deaths.

• Options

more early V3 spoilers

Especially since every other freaking protagonist in Japanese media is the shy and meek blank slate dude. They teased you with a Mercedes-Benz and then hand you the keys to the most basic Honda Civic.

Yep, Kaede is vastly more interesting than he is. Shuichi does have some development, but he never reaches her highs.

I have to say though, V3 is worth playing for the scrum debates. They're insane.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Danganronpa 2:

Alright I saw the first murder victim from a mile away but I am simply clueless about who the actual murderer is to attempt the guess challenge (which was a really cool concept which surprised the heck out of me)
    Survivors prediction:
    Including the mc I am guessing swordsman,gamer,luck,breeder,nurse.

Also the music is awesome

edit:
    Finished the first trial, man i got punked huh
    I have to consult the internet for the order of the 4 words finisher, english ain't my main language so it really threw me off
    Thoughts:
    I am actually quite surprised that they killed off the ultimate pervert this early in the game

Peas on
  • Options
    To be honest I had trouble with the finisher in the first case too. It’s just oddly worded and not something that comes up in English very often as if I remember correctly it’s more of an anime thing. As for predictions on who lives I actually got all predictions wrong where as in dr1 I kinda had a good idea who was going to murder their way out of hopes peak.