As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Scooby Doo, where are you?

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Geez dude, you don't have to burn stuff over this

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Personally, I'm cool with them promoting STEM ideas and nerd outlets. Quite frankly, this set's probably going to reach a wider audience than the female scientist sets will, but both have the same outcome - promoting higher learning.

Just one is licensed from a show that I have no opinion on, and the other is an original work.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I mean, they did say that someone from marketing is part of the review process. It doesn't take a marketing wizard to see potential in the most popular toy maker teaming up with the most popular TV sitcom.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Plus the show has pretty good female representation.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    i'm mostly over my beef with the show, and i can certain;y agree to wanting a desk item.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't want to start a discussion of BBT. It's off topic. But it seems like they play fast and loose with the rules sometimes and while that is their right, seeing sets that are just minifig collections get approved while great sets and themes get passed over weakens my interest in the whole concept of lego ideas.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    It's just annoying to me that I can scroll through the ideas list and find submissions that blow my mind, but its the minifig pack of a popular sitcom that wins.

I just saw this. That's something I need. It's officially going on my long-term goal list.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    It's just annoying to me that I can scroll through the ideas list and find submissions that blow my mind, but its the minifig pack of a popular sitcom that wins.

I just saw this. That's something I need. It's officially going on my long-term goal list.

Until this last batch with the birds, even the non-licensed stuff that gets made falls into a pattern.

The Shinkai, Hayabusa, and Mars Rover are all scientific exploration craft. The female scientists are obviously scientists. The Exosuit is a sci-fi space mech. It's not the largest sample size, but non-sciencey stuff seems to struggle if it's no licensed.

So no surprise that the people that vote on these things are geeks and nerds.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Stupid geeks and nerds.*

*Posted in a Lego thread on a forum hosted for a video game web comic.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Is it ok for me to ask about the Halo sets done by another company? My daughter really like Halo and is totally not into the "girl Lego" stuff. Not that she doesn't also like some of the amazing Lego stuff(she is super into both the DC and Marvel hero stuff), she just also really likes Halo. What do you fine people say?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Halo's awesome overrides Mega Block's crappiness.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    cB557 wrote: »
    Halo's awesome overrides Mega Block's crappiness.

Haha, excellent. I am still working on showing her all of the other sets she can get that are real Lego stuff. But, being the awesome 11 year old she is, she is kind of insulted by the girl sets. She saw those Halo sets just down the aisle and it was all done.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Is it ok for me to ask about the Halo sets done by another company? My daughter really like Halo and is totally not into the "girl Lego" stuff. Not that she doesn't also like some of the amazing Lego stuff(she is super into both the DC and Marvel hero stuff), she just also really likes Halo. What do you fine people say?

I used to have quite a bit of the early Mega Bloks Halo stuff. A lot of the builds are satisfying and the figures were pretty neat. (As far as I know, when I was into MB and not Lego, Lego copied MB's blindpacked figure idea. Could be wrong, it was a very hardcore but short dive into Mega Bloks.)

The major problem with MB Halo at the time was that some sets were designed so well you could strap the warthogs to your shoes and go roller skating with them but looking at the scorpion funny would make it fall apart.

Mega Bloks has lower standards for bricks than Lego so you have a better chance of getting off colors that don't match or pieces that don't clutch together well. (They do this color blend thing that looks like camo when done right, bad paint when done wrong.) They do have really friendly customer service though and will send out replacement parts just as quickly as Lego.

But:

I haven't purchased a Halo set for at least 3 years. The designs were consistently getting better during the time I followed MB Halo sets, but I don't know how they stand now. (the difference in design quality between the first wave and the second wave was huuuge.) I also know they had a major change up in minifigures this year. I think the general consensus was positive about the change as a lot of adult collectors actually stopped buying sets for a whole quarter because they knew they were getting re-released later that year with new minifigures.

This is the forum for MB stuff. The staff even contributes and will do Q&As and stuff. They used to be a good place for reviews, but since its pretty much the only forum for MB stuff you get a wide mix of well-written and barely comprehensible posts.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The giant mega blocks are good first blocks. My 14 month old son finds them easier to build with than duplo.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

I used to have quite a bit of the early Mega Bloks Halo stuff. A lot of the builds are satisfying and the figures were pretty neat. (As far as I know, when I was into MB and not Lego, Lego copied MB's blindpacked figure idea. Could be wrong, it was a very hardcore but short dive into Mega Bloks.)

The major problem with MB Halo at the time was that some sets were designed so well you could strap the warthogs to your shoes and go roller skating with them but looking at the scorpion funny would make it fall apart.

Mega Bloks has lower standards for bricks than Lego so you have a better chance of getting off colors that don't match or pieces that don't clutch together well. (They do this color blend thing that looks like camo when done right, bad paint when done wrong.) They do have really friendly customer service though and will send out replacement parts just as quickly as Lego.

But:

I haven't purchased a Halo set for at least 3 years. The designs were consistently getting better during the time I followed MB Halo sets, but I don't know how they stand now. (the difference in design quality between the first wave and the second wave was huuuge.) I also know they had a major change up in minifigures this year. I think the general consensus was positive about the change as a lot of adult collectors actually stopped buying sets for a whole quarter because they knew they were getting re-released later that year with new minifigures.

This is the forum for MB stuff. The staff even contributes and will do Q&As and stuff. They used to be a good place for reviews, but since its pretty much the only forum for MB stuff you get a wide mix of well-written and barely comprehensible posts.

They've kept improving. To be clear, their set quality still isn't as good as lego (Clicking Legos together triggers a basic neurological pleasure response), but it holds together well most of the time, and there aren't that many curse-inspiring moments in even the complicated builds.

The figures, though?

They were already the best action figures in the scale. And they got way better. More articulation, better proportions, and cool removable armor. You can have someone with their hands in position to pump their tiny shotguns. carrying an axe with both hands, or doing that both hands behind your back inspecting something look.

They're really, really cool.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Actually, remember how I said the customer service at Mega Bloks was great?

My fiance at the time had picked out a minifigure to put on top of the groom's cake, but my Halo color (teal/cyan) wasn't due to be out for several months after the wedding. They saw that on the MB forum and were going to ship me an early one to put on the cake.

She turned out to be a cheating she-devil with a heart of pure bitchtonium so it never happened but the idea was cool.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Until this last batch with the birds, even the non-licensed stuff that gets made falls into a pattern.

The Shinkai, Hayabusa, and Mars Rover are all scientific exploration craft. The female scientists are obviously scientists. The Exosuit is a sci-fi space mech. It's not the largest sample size, but non-sciencey stuff seems to struggle if it's no licensed.

Continuing the theme, the DeLorean is a time machine invented by a scientist, and the Ghostbusters are mostly all Phds.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Continuing the theme, the DeLorean is a time machine invented by a scientist, and the Ghostbusters are mostly all Phds.

This does mean that Minecraft is the odd one out in this. Something tells me we're not likely to see something like a Superbowl set make it through Ideas any time soon.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

This does mean that Minecraft is the odd one out in this. Something tells me we're not likely to see something like a Superbowl set make it through Ideas any time soon.

But the space marines were science related. Sci fi.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Finished build Benny's Spaceship this morning and was late to work by 10 minutes.

Totally worth it.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    X mansion will be rejected for the same reason Ghostbusters tower will be rejected for the same reason many have been rejected. Far too big.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    X mansion will be rejected for the same reason Ghostbusters tower will be rejected for the same reason many have been rejected. Far too big.

What if they split it into two halves, and sold it as two separate mansion/danger room kits?

• Options

It also has the added hurdle of being a property Lego already works on. That apparently places more scrutiny during the Ideas review phase based on a comment Lego left on the insane Frozen castle idea.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Target is going to have a couple of lego sets, including the Batcave discounted 40% come Black Friday.

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Target/Ad?page=7#viewer

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Target's black friday starts on Thanksgiving at 6pm, though, so I'm betting none of that shit will be there still if you're not subhuman and refuse to shop on Thanksgiving to spare the poor, fucked retail employees.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Looks like its only four sets. I kinda want that Jek ship but even 40% off is a bit much for a "kinda."

McFlynn on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pet Shop on the way, and it seems to be back in stock at the Lego shop website as well.

No sign of the Town Hall or the Haunted House reappearing, though. Amazon prices have already shot up to £230. Some vague warning of when stuff is going to be removed from stock would be helpful, especially if they're taking stuff out in non-chronological order. It is intensely annoying.

• Options
    Looks like its only four sets. I kinda want that Jek ship but even 40% off is a bit much for a "kinda."

I kinda want that house so I can get two and mash them together into one big house.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Did the new pirates stuff ever get a release date?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm going to be near a Lego store the first time ever (wasn't built when I last lived in the area) and I was just curious:

Is there any reason to go besides Shop exclusives like the exo-suit? (I really don't care about the exo-suit.)
    Aioua wrote: »
    Did the new pirates stuff ever get a release date?

It's just regular next year stuff, so whenever new stuff typically shows up, I guess? I wouldn't know when that is.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm going to be near a Lego store the first time ever (wasn't built when I last lived in the area) and I was just curious:

Is there any reason to go besides Shop exclusives like the exo-suit? (I really don't care about the exo-suit.)
    There's the pick-a-brick wall, which is nice if you're looking for parts in specific colors.
    Also, custom minifig packs, where you can put together your own minifigs.
    The Lego store near me generally has a better selection of sets then the Toys R Us or department stores do, even without taking the exclusives into consideration.
    They'll also (generally) have some sort of small premium set if you buy more than a certain dollar amount. Sometimes it's a minifigure, some times it's a small kit like the polybag Mini.

Really, if you're going to be in the area, I think the better question would be "Is there any reason not to go?".

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    You get VIP points for anything you buy at the lego store too.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    In my experience, items in Lego stores cost at least MSRP (whereas Amazon usually has discounts), sometimes even at a slight markup (but here you have to take into account that I live in New York City, and the Lego stores here are in well-to-do and/or touristy areas). There IS the Pick-a-Brick wall, which is good if you're not a germaphobe (I think about all the kids who run their hands through those brick buckets, and immediately want to put on a containment suit). I think that Lego stores are fun to go to for ogling new sets and checking out the models they have on display, but Amazon is for actually buying those sets.

If you do want to take the Pick-a-Brick route, be aware that they charge you by the container (they provide large plastic cups), and not by weight; a cup with a single, sad brick in it will cost the same as a cup stuffed to the brim with bricks. This means that the more efficiently you can pack the Lego pieces in there, the cheaper each piece becomes. There are sites and videos where people discuss packing efficiency, so that might be worth checking out.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, the main reason to not go is time. We might leave sooner and have more time to do things, haven't quite decided.

PAB wall is tempting, but Walmart has this on Thanksgiving for 30 dollars. Seems silly to just pick bricks I don't have a planned use for it with that deal coming up.

Might be fun though.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    It's really not worth sperging out filling the PAB cups.. occasionally I'll see some colossal nerd actually assembling bricks to squeeze out every last cubic millimeter of space but screw that. Just alternate layers, put some tiny pieces in, shake a little bit to settle them, put some big pieces in, shake a little, then do another layer of small pieces. You can cram an enormous amount of bricks into that cup like this, and keep some of your dignity at the same time.

Sometimes if the store is quiet the person running the register will pull out some extra boxes of parts you can choose from.. it's usually leftovers from previous PAB buckets but a nice perk.

• Options

If the employees aren't busy and you want specific Minifigs, the folks at the store are usually really good at feeling out the bags.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    What is this piece?

I bought it a few years ago from the PAB wall and I haven't seen it anywhere else.
    UZFlSwp.jpg

And another angle
    Ahpav9H.jpg

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
  • Options
    It was used in a technic excavator a few years ago, that's where I got mine anyways. Half of it was secured to the base, the cabin/bucket was secured to the other half. Didn't use any of the teeth for anything, so it was basically an oversized turntable.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Thanks guys.

Just an odd choice for pick a brick.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490