As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Scooby Doo, where are you?

GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
edited August 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the Lego Thread. Here we discuss all the awesome things the Lego Company does to promote joy in the hearts of mankind through playing with tiny bricks and minifigures.

Every fan of Lego is welcome here. Whether you build stuff by carefully following the instructions such as this awesome Lego Ewok Village lego-star-wars-ewok-village-xl.jpg

Or build stuff using only the power of your imagination to make things like this Pacific rim scene Pacific-Rim-Lego-2.jpg?format=1000w

There is even a Lego movie, which is awesome and you should go see it.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBqwFHkAEn_CvF_D_rTIYmv99SGH7ClYxsfwxG26TePpxYHk35HQ
It is about an ordinary Lego minifigure named Emmet (Chris Pratt) who learns he is the special, a long prophesied guy who will stop the evil President Business (Will Ferrell) from destroying the world of Lego.
Emmet gets some help in his adventures from other minifigures including Batman (Will Arnett) a kickass girl called Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks), Uni-Kitty (Alsion Brie) who is half unicorn and half kitten, not to mention Metalbeard the pirate (Nick Offerman) who is part man, part Lego-dreadnaught, also Morgan Freeman lends his voice to the wise-but-blind Vitruvius.
There is literally no reason on Earth you shouldn't see this movie. Especially as it has the awesome song 'Everything is awesome' by Teagan and Sara and the Lonely Island. Once you hear this song you will be singing it for months. And that's awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lHm-stXdM

There is also Lego videogames. Ranging from Star Wars to Harry Potter, DC universe, Marvel Universe, Lego movie:the videogame, and coming soon Lego: The Hobbit,

Oh and later this year this awesome set is being released, which everyone born in the 80's will buy.
ku-xlarge.jpg

At the moment the New York Toy Fair is on so new sets are being announced/revealed this week. Including new Star Wars sets inspired by the new tv show 'Rebels' and Guardian of the Galaxy sets. In short it's a most awesome time to be a fan of these little construction bricks and things can only get more awesome.

So lets discuss the world's best toy brand.

GaryO on

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm Timspork, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.

I am still unable to locate Melting Room anywhere in the city. Super bummed.

Also there is a clear plastic box somewhere in my house with random Lego pieces in it, including the spare pieces from the Saloon Biplane and I can no find it anywhere. It should be easy to find since it has those green shutters in it and those are rare for me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I successfully felt up a minifig bag and got the Panda dude. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Rebuilt the trash chomper as the chomper thing and I love the way the mouth works.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Last year I was able to keep my LEGO purchases pretty light.

Between the X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, and some movie sets this year may kill my bank account...

I still need to see the movie. I wanted to find someone to go with me, and even have someone who might but I'd have to wait until at least next week. But I have Wednesday off work, I may just go by myself then...

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I'm both surprised and not really surprised by the Metalbeard Seacow set. $250 for a single set. Man. I think I'm having second thoughts.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's a nearly 3,000 piece set. So there's that to consider.

Now for a couple nitpicks on the OP:

1) Capitalize Awesome, damnit. :P

2) You have a movie spoiler there...
    It was a surprise to me to learn Batman was Wildstyle's boyfriend, as that was a bit of a building point. Might want to take out that note and just say "He is the hero they Need" or something.

With that said,

@Timspork's Ghost, I needed to get the piece of resistance, so I bought the melting room off the Lego shop. :)

And it bums me the hell out that I can't get the Emmet Pyjamas set because the places offering it in the US aren't here. >.<

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    It's a nearly 3,000 piece set. So there's that to consider.

Now for a couple nitpicks on the OP:

1) Capitalize Awesome, damnit. :P

2) You have a movie spoiler there...
    It was a surprise to me to learn Batman was Wildstyle's boyfriend, as that was a bit of a building point. Might want to take out that note and just say "He is the hero they Need" or something.

With that said,

@Timspork's Ghost, I needed to get the piece of resistance, so I bought the melting room off the Lego shop. :)

And it bums me the hell out that I can't get the Emmet Pyjamas set because the places offering it in the US aren't here. >.<

Agreed. He is stupid expensive on bricklink.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I'm really bummed that the Ghost Busters set is just Ecto-one. I was really hoping for the firehouse too. Maybe some intrepid builder will come up with something on their own.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My wife got me the Metalbeard set for V-Day because she is the best wife, and it's so rad. So many little awesome things about it - the anchor, the cannons actually firing, the treasure chest on his groin that holds his wiener and bone (and that can't be accidental, can it?) Also, the micromanager is totes awesome.

I can't wait for Benny's spaceship (Spaceship! SPACESHIP!) set to come out later this year.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Just saw pictures of the ship The Ghost from the new Star Wars cartoon. It looks really neat. There is also another little fighter ship set that can attach to the ghost.

• Options
    Benny's spaceship is going to be the biggest set I've ever bought for myself. I did get the Quin Jet for Christmas last year which I assume is a similar size. I'm really excited for it because I always looked at the awesome spaceship sets as a kid and couldn't afford them. Finally I will enjoy building a spaceship.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Saw the movie with my family today.

In short, Everything was/is awesome (I can't stop listening to that song right now)

In long,
    Excellent encapsulation of the Lego experience imo.

I was sitting right next to my dad and it took everything I had not to break down crying during the last part of the movie

I want more Lego after seeing that, but I've got other stuff I need to get for games.... T_T

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I had a Barnes and Noble coupon so I picked up their last Metalbeard on the shelf when I was done buying groceries. Even though I have three large Galaxy Squad sets still in the box in the living room, I decided to put together Metalbeard earlier since I didn't want to assemble something that took up too much time.

It's really a fun build with lots of nostalgia for anyone that had the old pirate sets. It uses the memorable parts from that theme in neat ways.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Metalbeard is definitely in the top 3 of my Movie sets.

Timspork, care to link the Ghost? I'm always up for cool/unique Star Wars stuff.

The Qunjet's on clearance for $50 or so at the moment at my wal-mart. Not sure if I want it or not... I don't really want to get into the Super Hero lines ... that's a dangerous path for my impulse buying.

Finally, I just finished building the Mega Bloks Rhino I got on clearance (the bigger version of the Scorpion). It's..

It's a better model than the Scorpion, fixing many issues from the earlier model. A lot of it was pretty rote repition, given the nature of the treads, and now that they are using big molded plates instead of the individual plates like the Scorpion, it's a lot simpler. Of course, it holds together better too... But strangely, a lot of pieces were used using half-lengths instead of a full length the size... Not sure if that was a cost saving measure, or something to artificially inflate the part count. Further, my arms were sore after assembly. It really is insane how different the quality control is, and how much force it takes to assemble things. I really do think I'm done with the line. And this time it's final... maybe. We'll see.

So yeah. Next up are the small kits I ordered online, and the Delorean. And maybe one of these damned days I'll find Cloud Cuukoo land!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    You should pick up the Quinjet it's an awesome build. Just think of it as a fun set to put together and not the beginning of a superhero collection.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    My son turned 6 today and he built the castle/starship Movie set, a Star Wars droid set, and the City Firehouse set yesterday after his party, and today. Oh, we also saw the movie today.

Best weekend ever?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    So this is the Ghost from the new Star wars show called Rebels. Its the ship used by the good guys
    1392328512000-75053-front-CMYK__scaled_600.jpg
    It comes with 4 minifigures a stormtrooper, Jedi Kanan Jarrus, Twi'lek crew member Hera Syndulla and alien Zeb Orrelios. That last one is actually based on a potential design for Chewbacca, as seen in a Ralph Mcquarrie sketch from the early days of Star Wars
    There is also a smaller ship that attaches to the Ghost
    1392328320000-75048-front-CMYK__scaled_600.jpg
    It comes with an astromech called Chopper and the main character of the show called Ezra Bridger

• Options
    Wow.. that doesn't look very Star Wars ish...

Hm.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Kinda looks like a scaled down Millennium Falcon.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    I'd just would like to say, thank you to the OP for this wonderful Lego thread.

In addition to that, whomever made that Pacific Rim set, if Lego did'nt give the person or persons any money for that gorgeous masterpiece of a Lego set, they should. I mean, thats friggen detailed oriented! Even the subway station underneath makes it. Gypsy Danger using the Ship as a club with the Air support is icing on that cake.

But I can forgive that Lego oversight (if true.) for releasing the Ghostbusters set. *Drooooool*

• Options

Hm.

The little ship doesn't but I think the Ghost does. It very much looks like it came from the same Corellian ship designers as the Falcon, just a different model. It looks a good deal like a YT-2000 from Xwing Alliance.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I'm Timspork, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.

I am still unable to locate Melting Room anywhere in the city. Super bummed.

Also there is a clear plastic box somewhere in my house with random Lego pieces in it, including the spare pieces from the Saloon Biplane and I can no find it anywhere. It should be easy to find since it has those green shutters in it and those are rare for me.

They have the melting room in the back
    The new toy manager is headed to get fired as a lot of people are mad at him for not reseting the toy mod fully

I keep the spare extra parts in a holiday peanut container even looking at the extra lego gets me paranoid did I miss a piece?

Now that I have seen the Lego comic hero stuff I weep for my wallet I know I will get the Guardians of the Galaxy ones but I will make a game time call for the rest

• Options
    Am I the only one who thinks they should make a whole series of sets off whatever Unikitty's theme is supposed to be?

• Options
    Well I have not seen the movie yet but from what I can tell it's really a bizarre mash up of the blind bag figures and some of the girl themed lego

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    How long is this Ghostbuster's set going to take? I really want that thing. Also I want to believe they will make the firehouse in the style a la the modular buildings.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hm.
    I think the fighter looks too small for the star wars scale. More like a glorified speeder bike then an actual fighter.

As for the Ghost, it looks okay. Looks Star Wars ish in the color scheme and general design, though the cockpit arrangement seems odd. That may just be me, or may just be the lego set. I'm curious as to what it actually looks like on the show.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well I have not seen the movie yet but from what I can tell it's really a bizarre mash up of the blind bag figures and some of the girl themed lego
    Minor movie spoilers.
    Its supposed to be the boys mishash of lego parts we see in a corner all the weird colors and parts the dad didnt need

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AHHHHHHH no no no no no
    A B-wing is coming out this summer no! I am still trying to get the UCS one still

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    AHHHHHHH no no no no no
    A B-wing is coming out this summer no! I am still trying to get the UCS one still
    Another one? That's awesome.

• Options
    Minor movie spoilers.
    Its supposed to be the boys mishash of lego parts we see in a corner all the weird colors and parts the dad didnt need
    I agree, looking back on it I think that was also the only Lego the boy was ever allowed to play with in the real world as well. Explains all the lack of rules as well as the random parts and figures (i.e. Superheroes and Collectable minifigs all in the same 'world' with no recognizble Le).
    Adds another layer of sadness when the micromanagers come in and destroy it. Its the dad crushing his kids imagination

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »
    How long is this Ghostbuster's set going to take? I really want that thing. Also I want to believe they will make the firehouse in the style a la the modular buildings.

Really all I want is the sign. Everything else could be made from existing parts right?

Assuming you go with the movies small containment unit over the shows bigger one.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So later last night I was putting together the middle manager and minifigs that came with the Metalbeard set and one of the heads fell and rolled under the coffee table, which has a lower surface with less than an inch of clearance from the carpet. So I guess I have to clean up the table and then move it to finish the build.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Went to two more Targets today trying to find the Melting Room, no dice. However the second one had new Star Wars and Super Hero sets so now I have a Hulk figure and fucking MODOK!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!! MODOK!!!!!!!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    New Star Wars stuff for later this year posted at FBTB. Nice to see the OT getting some love finally.

New B-Wing - Looks like the old minifig scale b-wing, without the docking station.
    New AT-AT - The scale for the body seems off, especially compared to the old one.
    New Star Destroyer - The construction, especially the frame and supports, are extremely close to the old one.

And nothing I've stated above will stop me from getting all three.

• Options
    Links? I don't know what FBTB is.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Links? I don't know what FBTB is.

fbtb.net/

edit: oh shit I had no idea Metalbeard's Seacow was available for VIP members. I guess I need to buy something off the website and get that going.

edit 2: I will be disappointed if Lego doesn't make any Ghosts to catch for the Ghostbusters.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Found the missing box of Lego! I've now restored the western biplane to factory mint and rebuild Emmet's glider!

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Can't wait to put the Ghostbusters set up with my Haunted House.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    In the upcoming months, three more The LEGO Movie sets will be released: Emmet’s Constructo-Mech (70814), Super Secret Police Dropship (70815), and Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! (70816). Toyark is at the 2014 American International Toy Fair and they have images of the official box art for those sets as well as some more images of the sets themselves. Emmet’s Constructo-Mech will have 708 pieces and retails for $59.99. The Super Secret Police Dropship has 854 pieces and goes for $79.99. Finally, Benny’s Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! has 940 pieces and will retail for $99.99. - See more at: http://www.thebrickfan.com/#sthash.XMphHsTb.dpuf

I'm getting the Mech and the Spaceship.

I can't wait. Also next month at The Lego Store, if you spend $75 or more you get a Martian Manhunter minifig.

12243883315_42500b6dcf.jpg

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/16/toy-fair-report-lego-star-wars/ Click on that link and it takes you to a lot of pictures of the new Star Wars sets. Personally i'm already sold on the B-wing, I love them and although I've got the mini B-wing this one looks great and comes with Airen Cracken (who EU book readers will know).
    Oh and there is a Mos Eisley Cantina set coming too.

• Options
    Fuck. Uh. I might have just ordered and obscenely large Lego that was just made available for VIP members.

Uhhhhh. Yeah.

NO REGRETS