As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lego] Scooby Doo, where are you?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Oakey wrote: »
    Apparently that Big Bang Theory Lego Ideas set is going to be the most expensive Ideas set yet between $70-$90

This is based on an apparent leak of NZ prices

Good.

Anyone who wants that monstrosity should not be trusted with money.

What are they cramming in there to justify the price? I guess you're getting a bunch of minifigs- the four nerds plus one or two of the female characters, and then what?

I'd bet that aside from the obvious (mini-figs and apartment) there's going to be a lot of smaller props that go with it, like the book cases and furniture that really ramp up the part count.
    Can't imagine there'd be anything there to convince me to drop 70-90 bucks on it (not when I can get a good sized space ship for that price), but it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Just hope this set doesn't kill the whole Lego Ideas thing.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Seems that a set like this would also necessitate some unique printing, which would probably push part costs up. I know Ideas sets are not supposed to have unique printing, but... I dunno, seems like this set might need it.

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Almost all the ideas sets have had one off brick prints.

Pretty sure only the Curiosity rover lacks any.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Licencing fees I imagine.

Hefty licencing fees.

I bet you're right. As much as I want to hate TBBT for being a gigantic "make fun of the nerds!" money making machine, I still end up enjoying most of the episodes I see. (It's on after the news and before MASH, so it gets watched.)

Whoever Lego approached for the rights to make the set probably saw another opportunity for big dollar signs. Those evil bastards that know how to be just evil enough to be successful but not actually offensive enough to make me not watch it.

Still never going to buy the set though. Slightly too evil for me.

Edit Humorous tone, for those wondering.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So I caved and bought that Ninjago Mech because it was on sale at Target.

I'll probably build it tonight.

Edit: This is bad. I've realized that this thing opens the door to me buying themes outside of Star Wars and Superheroes. Might indulge in some creator sets in the near future.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's a Lego Mech
    I bought the one that was a giant Samurai how could this be wrong?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It's a Lego Mech

The woman asked me if I wanted a gift receipt, and I didn't know what to do! I feel so stigmatized at the checkout.

I guess it didn't help that nerf guns were on sale too, and I also bought a couple of those.

I AM A MAN IN MY LATE 20S OH GOD HELP ME.

I'll go back to only buying Legos from stores with self check-outs. I can't do internet stuff because there's no package service to my building.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    It's a Lego Mech

The woman asked me if I wanted a gift receipt, and I didn't know what to do! I feel so stigmatized at the checkout.

I guess it didn't help that nerf guns were on sale too, and I also bought a couple of those.

I'll go back to only buying Legos from stores with self check-outs. I can't do internet stuff because there's no package service to my building.

To heck with that, just own it and say that it's for you. The people at my Lego store often ask if what I'm buying is a present or for me and I always say that the sets are mine, I don't care if they are judging or not, most of them just say "cool".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Just buy what you want who cares what they think?

They probably do pretty weird stuff in their spare time.

Lego is a hobby that is hardly frowned upon.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    If you're in your late 20's your old enough to not care what some random person you'll never see again thinks. Own your interests and don't be embarrassed. This thread is full of people, many likely even older, that enjoy building.

What's the fun of being a responsible adult with disposable income if you can't buy things for fun.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It's a Lego Mech

Just take the gift receipt if you can't handle the burning judgement of the register worker.
    If they ask, then making up a nephew's birthday is as good an excuse as anything. A name and a rough age (I think he's turning 10...11 maybe?).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    It's a Lego Mech

To heck with that, just own it and say that it's for you. The people at my Lego store often ask if what I'm buying is a present or for me and I always say that the sets are mine, I don't care if they are judging or not, most of them just say "cool".

If they work at a LEGO store they are definitely not judging you beyond thinking that model y is cooler than model x that you're buying.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    @HadjiQuest, I know it's easy for me to say "yo, you've got nothing to be ashamed of", and that it's a lot harder to actually overcome whatever insecurities you may have. I say this because I know - I've got plenty of objectively dumb insecurities, and other people saying "yo, you've got nothing to be ashamed of" doesn't automatically make me feel comfortable with myself. Heck, even me rationally knowing that I'm being silly for no reason doesn't automatically make me feel comfortable with myself.

All I can tell you is that I'm 30 years old, have been married for 2 years. I go to work, I make sure my rent and my bills are paid, I try to do right by the people around me. I think this makes me a reasonably adult person. I also buy Lego and transforming car-robot-dudes and little plastic mans I can paint. Consider me a data point on your graph of "adults and their purchase habits".

What I'm saying is that you'd good, dude. You're OK.

• Options
    Geth agrees, so obvs I'm super-right.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Thanks, dudes. I suppose you guys are right.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    It's a Lego Mech

If they work at a LEGO store they are definitely not judging you beyond thinking that model y is cooler than model x that you're buying.

Plus Lego Stores are in malls, where a lot of gifts are purchased.

• Options
    The only reason to grow up is so you can afford to be the kid you always wanted to be (or in this case, have the stuff you always wanted to have).

At least until you have kids of your own, then focus shifts again.

• Options
    But then, once your kids get old enough you can once again buy the things you enjoy and share the fun with your kids!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Best of all worlds, don't have kids and have more money to spend on Lego.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Geth agrees, so obvs I'm super-right.

Geth isn't agreeing with you. Look again; he's tracking you.

Be afraid.

• Options
    Geth is tracking my every move because he knows I'm a taste-maker and trend-setter, and he wants to be first to every party.

• Options
    I but Lego in person with a cashier I have NO fear
    Still like I said in SE++ in various threads I get women to talk to me while I am looking at lego
    An example was I was feeling up lego blind bags at target and a women comes up and asks me whom I am doing that for because I must be the greatest dad
    I then inform her that I don't have kids then she talks to me some more
    I was quite confused

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Thanks, dudes. I suppose you guys are right.

I'm in my mid-30s and just last week I was buying a bunch of Lego Movie Legos and got a "so you like Legos?" from the cashier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Whateva!

You remember how when you were a little kid and you thought "man, when I grow up I'm gonna eat ice cream whenever I want, buy all the toys I want, and stay up all night long playing video games!" You can totally do all that stuff now. Live the dream!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm in my thirties and my wife enjoys it when I put my grand Lego creations on display in the living room.

Power to the people, man.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    All my family (in-laws too) are glad I play with lego because it makes finding gifts for christmas or birthdays super easy. None of that "I don't know what to get him!" drama to worry about.

Just get the grown man some plastic toys and call it a job done.

• Options
    Something about Lego is more acceptable to other adults, for whatever reason.

My (notoriously hardass) father was in our place a few weeks ago. Video games? Weird looks from my dad. Handful of action figures? Weird looks from my dad. Four shelves full of Lego sets on display and my dad goes "Whoa, I like your legos."

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm in my thirties and my wife enjoys it when I put my grand Lego creations on display in the living room.

My wife more or less tolerates that me and our two boys love Lego, even though she hates them. Doesn't have the patience or enjoy looking for bricks.

I usually remind her that their are any number of other hobbies that I could have that are much worse, but probably not many that cost more.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

My wife more or less tolerates that me and our two boys love Lego, even though she hates them. Doesn't have the patience or enjoy looking for bricks.

I usually remind her that their are any number of other hobbies that I could have that are much worse, but probably not many that cost more.

Time to get the boys into the Warhams.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Photography, playing an instrument, remote control anything, or hockey are all hobbies that can dramatically outpace the cost of a lego addiction.

Ask me how I know. :rotate:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Rumors for Episode VII sets, featuring generic descriptions

I hope those first two sets are cool because I can't afford anything else.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    It's a Lego Mech

To which the response could be;

"oh no no no, this isn't a gift... it's bait"

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    xzzy wrote: »
    Photography, playing an instrument, remote control anything, or hockey are all hobbies that can dramatically outpace the cost of a lego addiction.

How do you know?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My entire life for birthdays and Christmas we'd get Legos. Hell, my mom wanted the haunted house and we got it for her for her birthday.

I haven't bought any of the new avengers sets because my birthday is coming up and I just asked for all of those.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    So I've had the Ninjago mech built for a couple nights now.

It's actually pretty rad. I'm glad I bought it, especially since I've had a hard time finding the hulkbuster (it was everywhere for a bit, but I waited too long and now it's almost universally sold out).

Also, since I do most of my shopping at Meijer, I've started using their Mperks reward stuff. The last couple weekends have had 10%-20% off coupons for general merchandise (including legos and other toys), and there's currently a $5 discount once you purchase $30 in toys. It basically seems like a very handy, frequent way to get legos on sale when no one else is doing discounts.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Went to Walmart today, and while I didn't find anything on clearance, I did find the Lego Creative building box for 20 bucks. It has 580 pieces, and seems to run only from anywhere fro 35-50 bucks, so pretty good deal.

• Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    The last day for double points is tomorrow at the Lego store?

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    xzzy wrote: »

How do you know?

Wargaming is a time and money sink.
    Lego on the other hand just pile up unbuilt compared to the mountain you look at when you see where you left off on your army and what you have to do to it.

• Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    So after a crappy week involving a surprise ending of a LTR I have hauled in the Lego Pirates Brick Bounty, Entire Speed Champions Collection, The New Quinn Jet, and Hulk Buster set. I also racked up like 40 dollars in Lego rewards. Time to build away the pain man.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I didn't realize how poorly lit this photo was until I got it to my computer. Oh well.

My Earthling Crusher!
    c6a5cb7b-90d8-4585-9db0-34e43d7104db_zpse6xtquna.jpg

McFlynn on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    I saw that on Reddit and loved it.

Looks very cool.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490